Whimsicott

Um...if it sets up, you encore. You have priority encore. If you leech seed while they dragon dance, you encore, u-turn, and kill. There is no misprediction involved when your encore has priority.
The misprediction occurs on their first move, you can't Encore nothing. If they SR, you can Encore next turn but they'll probably switch out anyway. If they use Spikes they don't even care about Encore.

Basically if you are Encoring every time they use a setup move you are giving them free switches. Only Taunt can stop them setting up entirely, and even then you risk them outright attacking you.

Whimsicott requires prediction to use well otherwise the opponent will eventually Brave Bird with Skarmory when you expected Spikes and its all over.

While Taunt, Encore and Leech Seed are all great moves, you can switch out of all of them.

The misprediction occurs on their first move, you can't Encore nothing. If they SR, you can Encore next turn but they'll probably switch out anyway. If they use Spikes they don't even care about Encore.

Basically if you are Encoring every time they use a setup move you are giving them free switches. Only Taunt can stop them setting up entirely, and even then you risk them outright attacking you.

Whimsicott requires prediction to use well otherwise the opponent will eventually Brave Bird with Skarmory when you expected Spikes and its all over.

While Taunt, Encore and Leech Seed are all great moves, you can switch out of all of them.
This is why you run Substitute.

Pretty much. Get a sub up and its a free turn in reserve more or less.

Sure you can't get one up against something that is hammering you with attacks, but its usually worth trying to see if they do something else.

There's really no prediction involved in that particular scenario.

First of all, you don't leave whimsicott in against skarmory. That would be dumb. You u-turn to magnezone, forretress or any rapid spinner, espeon/xatu, or whatever your skarmory/spiker counter is.

Second, substitute doesn't help at all. You get your sub broken by brave bird, then what? Sub till you can't sub anymore, then switch? Sub is one of the worst moves you can have on whimsicott.

Actually wouldn't Shadow Tag Chandelure hate the idea of being paralyzed and seeded?
You're sacrificing your whimsicott just to leech seed something that's going to switch out before leech seed can even take effect. As for paralysis...stun spore missed! Now you're dead! It would be infinitely better to just switch to heatran or something to make sure chandelure takes two hits of stealth rock.

Sub is one of the best moves on it, people just use it stupidly. It can easily stall for time and force switches. Encore is grossly overrated.

There's really no prediction involved in that particular scenario.

First of all, you don't leave whimsicott in against skarmory. That would be dumb. You u-turn to magnezone, forretress or any rapid spinner, espeon/xatu, or whatever your skarmory/spiker counter is.

Second, substitute doesn't help at all. You get your sub broken by brave bird, then what? Sub till you can't sub anymore, then switch? Sub is one of the worst moves you can have on whimsicott.

You're sacrificing your whimsicott just to leech seed something that's going to switch out before leech seed can even take effect. As for paralysis...stun spore missed! Now you're dead! It would be infinitely better to just switch to heatran or something to make sure chandelure takes two hits of stealth rock.
Except you can't switch in, so Chandelure'll Hidden Power Fighting or Ground your Heatran before you can revenge it. Unless you can somehow work in worry seed then get the hell out!

Sub is one of the best moves on it, people just use it stupidly. It can easily stall for time and force switches. Encore is grossly overrated.

Oh yes, having a move that can basically force momentum on your side with ease is worse then a move that ensures Whimsicott is absolutley usless against any offensive Grass-type and needs Leech Seed to always be up to even be slightly useful.

Encore: Forces a pokemon to switch or die either after or as you u-turn to a counter thus racking up hazard damage and giving you 100% momentum at the same time.

Substitute: throws away 25% of your extremely important health as any one of the plethora of whimsicott's 100% hard counters switch in.

Let's look at what happens when these extremely common pokemon come in on your sub.

Ferrothorn - #1 in usage. You threw away 25% of your health while it does whatever the hell it wants.

Ttar - Sand means your subbing time is cut in half, which means you only did like 40% to it before you're unable to sub again.

Gliscor - Poison heal means it outstalls you, and it's not like you can toxic it. It can break your subs until you die or just u-turn to a grass type, another-u-turner or any of the pokemon on this list.

Scizor - Will usually just u-turn in your face which either breaks your sub or wastes your seed, but a smart player will break a few subs with bullet punch first.

Conkeldurr - Drain Punch recovers damage off your sub, plus leftovers. Durr.

Reuniclus - Laughs in your face.

Dragonite - Extremespeeds your balls off. Can also roost off seed damage later.

Skarmory - Kills you with flying attacks until you die from it, then roosts later to make sure your efforts were worthless.

Starmie - Rapid spins seeds away, rapes you with ice beam, recovers later.

Thundurus - Its taunt is faster. 'Nuff said.

Forretress - Rapid Spin has 64 pp. The math isn't good. It can also lay down toxic spikes at some point to render your subbing whimsicott completely useless.

Breloom - Laughs in your face.

Lucario - Extremespeeds your balls right off your crotch.

Tentacruel - Absolutely loves getting hit with leech seed, destroys your subs with ice or poison attacks, is immune to toxic...laughs at you like a crazy jellyfish.

Scrafty - Renders your seeding efforts useless with drain punch.

Espeon - Laughs in your face.

Mienshao - Always has u-turn.

Weavile - utterly destroys you with ice shard.

You get the general idea. The majority of these pokemon have their 100% counter status removed with the combination of a smart encore followed by a u-turn.

I'm wondering (ESPECIALLY after reading all that), I want to run Hurricane on my whimsicott. I don't care who tells me it's a bad idea, it's on a rain team. I have plenty of over pokes with Leech Seed, and would sorta like to use Whimsicott as a anti-grass, as most players think they can just throw a grass-type right in and eat your pretzels. Hurricane isn't Leech Seed, I appologize xD
But, to do that, I am a little curious as to what my moveset should be. I KNOW I want encore+Pew-turn. Even more anti-grass? Yes please. But I really didn't want to throw a substitute on. Now, I definitely don't, given the above info, and the fact that I don't think I could pull it off effectively anyway. I also have plenty of pokes with Toxic and a few with Scald to try for burn. What should my last move be? Taunt was my first idea, to use as an anti-lead, but I think that's too many roles for him. I'm throwing enough status; I'm not sure cotton spore/stun spore would be good choices. Cotton Guard was an idea I was having, but I really want some input before I go ahead with it. Is this a good idea guys? Hurricane/U-turn/Encore/Cotton Guard?

Encore: Forces a pokemon to switch or die either after or as you u-turn to a counter thus racking up hazard damage and giving you 100% momentum at the same time.

Substitute: throws away 25% of your extremely important health as any one of the plethora of whimsicott's 100% hard counters switch in.

Let's look at what happens when these extremely common pokemon come in on your sub.

Ferrothorn - #1 in usage. You threw away 25% of your health while it does whatever the hell it wants.

Ttar - Sand means your subbing time is cut in half, which means you only did like 40% to it before you're unable to sub again.

Gliscor - Poison heal means it outstalls you, and it's not like you can toxic it. It can break your subs until you die or just u-turn to a grass type, another-u-turner or any of the pokemon on this list.

Scizor - Will usually just u-turn in your face which either breaks your sub or wastes your seed, but a smart player will break a few subs with bullet punch first.

Conkeldurr - Drain Punch recovers damage off your sub, plus leftovers. Durr.

Reuniclus - Laughs in your face.

Dragonite - Extremespeeds your balls off. Can also roost off seed damage later.

Skarmory - Kills you with flying attacks until you die from it, then roosts later to make sure your efforts were worthless.

Starmie - Rapid spins seeds away, rapes you with ice beam, recovers later.

Thundurus - Its taunt is faster. 'Nuff said.

Forretress - Rapid Spin has 64 pp. The math isn't good. It can also lay down toxic spikes at some point to render your subbing whimsicott completely useless.

Breloom - Laughs in your face.

Lucario - Extremespeeds your balls right off your crotch.

Tentacruel - Absolutely loves getting hit with leech seed, destroys your subs with ice or poison attacks, is immune to toxic...laughs at you like a crazy jellyfish.

Scrafty - Renders your seeding efforts useless with drain punch.

Espeon - Laughs in your face.

Mienshao - Always has u-turn.

Weavile - utterly destroys you with ice shard.

You get the general idea. The majority of these pokemon have their 100% counter status removed with the combination of a smart encore followed by a u-turn.
The problem with all of these is that it's extremely difficult to encore smartly against a good player. Statistically, Encore is a much better move to use, but your opponent can play around it. If your opponent has a Dragonite that sets up Dragon Dance and you switch in Whimsicott, your opponent can just as easily switch out as you attempt to Encore their setup, which leads to a purely mindgame-based playstyle. You might guess their set incorrectly and bring Whimsicott in on a powerful attack, you might even draw a switch to Espeon as you encore yourself. Yes, team preview helps prevent this kind of stuff from happening, but this also means your opponent can wise up and actually NOT try setting up on you, attacking you on the switch instead. This is why I say Substitute is one of its best moves, because it's completely prediction free, forces the opponent to play to break your substitute, stalls for leech seed+toxic damage, and when paired with Worry Seed, enables it to perfectly stall against any single opponent, exception being those who are immune to both toxic and leech seed by virtue of typing (Ferrothorn/Venusaur/Amoongus being the only remotely common ones, and Espeon being immune by virtue of its ability reflecting back Worry Seed). This shit only works with entry hazards, but why bother using a Whimsicott to discourage setup when you have stuff like Ditto that can run around, steal the boosts, and counter sweep if your opponent gets careless setting up?

tehy

Banned deucer.
The problem with what you're saying is very simple.

Firstly, you have to forego worry seed or taunt to use substitute. If you forego worry seed, breloom, reuniclus, gliscor, and tentacruel all laugh at you.
If you forego taunt, skarmory, forretress, and even chansey also laugh at you.
Also, starting off by using substitute means a thundurus can switch in and taunt you without any consequences.
In addition, ditto can't counter bulky calm minders. I should know, since i've done it many times before. (Also, bulk uppers and butterfly dancers). Not to mention gyarados that specifically run sets like waterfall/earthquake/ice fang or resttalk sets just to beat dittoes.
Finally, running encore lets you run a hard counter to any setup pokemon, while still allowing whimsicott to do its job with the last 3 moveslots. Substitute just makes you easier to outstall.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The problem with all of these is that it's extremely difficult to encore smartly against a good player. Statistically, Encore is a much better move to use, but your opponent can play around it. If your opponent has a Dragonite that sets up Dragon Dance and you switch in Whimsicott, your opponent can just as easily switch out as you attempt to Encore their setup, which leads to a purely mindgame-based playstyle. You might guess their set incorrectly and bring Whimsicott in on a powerful attack, you might even draw a switch to Espeon as you encore yourself. Yes, team preview helps prevent this kind of stuff from happening, but this also means your opponent can wise up and actually NOT try setting up on you, attacking you on the switch instead. This is why I say Substitute is one of its best moves, because it's completely prediction free, forces the opponent to play to break your substitute, stalls for leech seed+toxic damage, and when paired with Worry Seed, enables it to perfectly stall against any single opponent, exception being those who are immune to both toxic and leech seed by virtue of typing (Ferrothorn/Venusaur/Amoongus being the only remotely common ones, and Espeon being immune by virtue of its ability reflecting back Worry Seed). This shit only works with entry hazards, but why bother using a Whimsicott to discourage setup when you have stuff like Ditto that can run around, steal the boosts, and counter sweep if your opponent gets careless setting up?
whimsicotts main use is stopping stat uppers!so when you expect a setup you just sent this little green pixie in and you encore next turn!do you know what happens when you use substitute predicting your opponent to switch?they attack instead!and now you just lost every hope of forcing out this poke and gaining momentum...'cause now you cannot encore him as he will now kill you with his boosted attacks with the encored move.the best use of whimsicott is as a momentum gainer,meaning you must always u-turn the fuck out after you have done your job(leech seeding,encoring,paralyzing,toxicing etc)!

Kenshiro: Whimsicott knows u-turn and should always use it imo, because u-turn does everything you praise substitute for, except better. Once you get the hang of using encore/u-turn, it's quite difficult to be outwitted. It's not like you mindlessly spam encore at every opportunity. Also, Whimsicott absolutely loves hazards on the opponents team. Chances are, they aren't going to be able to 'just switch'.

Sensei_Bobbilytus: I don't use rain so I can't really comment, however I will say this: Whimsicott's spa isn't good enough to use hurricane with, especially when it's practically a necessity to have all his evs in HP and either def or spdef depending on your team and moveset. Also, ferrothorn is so good in the rain that you may have some type redundancy.

No, you're doing it wrong. You sub in case they use spikes or some such. They break your sub with Brave Bird? No problem, you just switch out. You don't need to sub till you can't sub any more- after the first sub, you know what they'll do, which makes prediction a lot easier. Also, Leech Seed and Lefties work together with Substitute amazingly- after you get a Leech Seed on someone, you can repetitively sub and lose barely any health.

No, you're doing it wrong. You sub in case they use spikes or some such. They break your sub with Brave Bird? No problem, you just switch out. You don't need to sub till you can't sub any more- after the first sub, you know what they'll do, which makes prediction a lot easier. Also, Leech Seed and Lefties work together with Substitute amazingly- after you get a Leech Seed on someone, you can repetitively sub and lose barely any health.
I agree. Green Mage seems to think that Whimsicott must use only one specific set to be "good" or "useful", whereas I have been using Bold SubSeed with Encore + Cotton Guard. It walls nearly all physical attackers (My Subs weren't broken in a hit or two by Entei's max-Attack LO Extremespeed when I was at +6, and since they're an Entei, guess what? You heal a truckload of HP with Seed due to Entei's 115 Base and like, 364 minimum HP with 31 IV's - at level 50, I lost maybe 40 HP out of my 157 total from the same Entei's Flare Blitz, easily allowing me to Sub again - I'll show you the battle video if you so desire).

I'm not some sort of totalitarian anti-sub nazi. Our job here is to discuss whimsicott and its potential. I have extensive experience both using whimsicott and facing it, and that experience gives me the knowledge that sub is a vastly inferior option due to the insane number of 100% counters whimsicott faces. If you want to use sub, by all means, go right ahead. I'm just offering advice.

No, you're doing it wrong. You sub in case they use spikes or some such. They break your sub with Brave Bird? No problem, you just switch out.
Or you could have just u-turned to magnezone right off the bat and saved your precious health.

I'm not some sort of totalitarian anti-sub nazi. Our job here is to discuss whimsicott and its potential. I have extensive experience both using whimsicott and facing it, and that experience gives me the knowledge that sub is a vastly inferior option due to the insane number of 100% counters whimsicott faces. If you want to use sub, by all means, go right ahead. I'm just offering advice.

Or you could have just u-turned to magnezone right off the bat and saved your precious health.
OK yeah, I went to do an in-depth test of what I suggested myself, and subseed is underwhelming if only because it doesn't have the bulk to pull off the set (and I misunderstood the mechanic and thought Worry Seed wasn't reflected by Magic Bounce). I still think encore is overrated, though still very useful.

OK yeah, I went to do an in-depth test of what I suggested myself, and subseed is underwhelming if only because it doesn't have the bulk to pull off the set (and I misunderstood the mechanic and thought Worry Seed wasn't reflected by Magic Bounce). I still think encore is overrated, though still very useful.
It learns Cotton Guard.

Before you even begin to read this potential set, be aware that it intends to run Whimsicott offensively. I'll wait until you finish facepalming...Done? Ok then, let's get started.

Whimsicott@Life Orb
Nature: Modest
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Cotton Guard/Light Screen
-Light Screen/Cottonguard/HP Fire
-Solar Beam
-HP Fire/Fake Tears

I was attempting to create some set that is completely crazy, but just crazy enough to work, seeing how nobody expects a freaking offensive Whimsicott. I noticed that, while having stats that make an offensive variant laughable, it has a few awesome moves that, thanks to Prankster, can allow it to (hopefully) survive and claim at least one kill for several turns. It also has access to a Life-orbed STAB Solar Beam, which on a sun team requires no charge and can devastate the opponent.

For the first move, Cotton Guard is preferable, seeing as how it makes Whimsicott's Def skyrocket up to 525, at a minimum. Light Screen can be life-saving, as it causes Whimsicott's SpD to reach 310 at a minimum, which can be enough to take stray ice beams from bulky waters. The second move is much of the same. However, if one defense-boosting move is not necessary for your needs, then HP Fire could take it's place. Solar Beam is the crux of the set, as it is Whimsicott's most powerful attacking move. The last move mainly depends on your previous move choice. If HP fire was used, Fake Tears can half the opponent's special defense, which makes all but the most specially defensive opponents OHKO'd (yes, I'm looking at you Blissey and Jellicent). If cg and ls are being used, then HP Fire can be used to destroy any steels/grass pokemon (i.e. Jurachi, Celebi, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Scizor, Forrettress...SO MANY STEELS WOULD NOT EXPECT THIS).

Damage Calcs : COMING SOON...(if anybody runs any, please post results)

Threats: TO BE CONTINUED...somewhat

-Changes in weather pretty much screw it over. Solar Beam takes two turns to charge unless the sun comes back out, and HP Fire drops to 60 base power. If you were to use solarbeam, and your opponent switches to T-tar, Hippowdon, or Politoad (the most common Pokemon that change weather), unless he/she switches that turn, Solarbeam is going to hit hard. This prompts the switch into something which can likely take the solarbeam.

-Heatran. Nothing needs to be said here. It's Heatran vs. grass,fire, and bug moves.

This set has the potential to work due to Whimsicott's base 117 speed, +1 priority to non-attacking moves, and the ability to boost for defense. Perhaps the greatest chance of this set succeeding lies in it's surprise factor...

Surprise factor requires the surprise to be effective in order to be a valid strategy. If I planned on throwing cottonballs at your face, I wouldn't need to sneak up on you to do it; you'd just take a few cottonballs to the dome and proceed to beat me up. There would be no reason to have your guard up while i'm threatening you with cottonballs. Offensive whimsicott is that cottonball.

Also, whether or not to use solar beam on a sun team is debatable, and most people choose not to (you stated why). Solar Beam users can be an effective lure though, as ttar will always switch into ninetales expecting solar beam, but getting will-o-wisped instead...unfortunately an offensive whimsicott has nothing to cripple ttar with except maybe grasswhistle (and that's suicidal) while the encore version can seed the switch-in and then act accordingly. I suppose you could set up cotton guard, but whimsicott faces a huge problem with ttar because practically all of them are carrying ice beam or fire blast. If you're lucky enough to get the dragon dancer, you might be in good shape defensively...but how would you kill it?

And finally, and this is the clincher, there is really no reason at all to use an offensive whimsicott in the sun while sawsbuck and venusaur exist. You're just hindering yourself for no real reason by neglecting these two monsters.

Since I see a lot of haters on Sub I'm going to post a log of my use of Whismicott (Erufuun is its nickname in this...) and its insane SubSeeding Strategy that I like to use.

Start of turn 1
Erufuun used Substitute!
Erufuun made a substitute!

The foe's Registeel used Toxic!
Erufuun's substitute blocked Toxic!

Erufuun restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 2
Erufuun used Leech Seed!
The foe's Registeel was seeded!

The foe's Registeel used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Byrn Torno's team!

The foe's Registeel's health is sapped by leech seed.

Start of turn 3
Player X called Registeel back!
Player X sent out Jirachi!

Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's Jirachi is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Start of turn 4
Erufuun used Leech Seed!
The foe's Jirachi was seeded!

The foe's Jirachi used Substitute!
The foe's Jirachi made a substitute!

The foe's Jirachi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Jirachi's health is sapped by leech seed.

Start of turn 5
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's Jirachi fell for the taunt!

The foe's Jirachi used Thunderbolt!
It's not very effective...
Erufuun's substitute took the damage!

Start of turn 6
Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's Jirachi's substitute blocked Stun Spore!

The foe's Jirachi used Psyshock!
Erufuun's substitute faded!

Start of turn 7
Erufuun used Substitute!

The foe's Jirachi's taunt ended!

Start of turn 8
Erufuun used Substitute!

The foe's Jirachi is paralyzed! It can't move!

Start of turn 9
Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The attack of Erufuun missed!

Start of turn 10
Erufuun used Stun Spore!

Start of turn 11
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 12
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 13
Erufuun used Stun Spore!

Start of turn 14
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 15
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 16
Erufuun used Substitute!

The foe's Jirachi fainted!
Player X sent out Registeel!

Start of turn 17
Erufuun used Leech Seed!
The foe's Registeel was seeded!

The foe's Registeel used Seismic Toss!

The foe's Registeel restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 18
Erufuun used Stun Spore!

Erufuun lost 100 HP! (30% of its health)

Start of turn 19
Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's Registeel is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Erufuun lost 100 HP! (30% of its health)

Start of turn 20
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 21
Erufuun used Substitute!

Start of turn 22
Erufuun used Substitute!

And

[ N64 ] Just sent out String Bean! (Politoed)
Byrn Torno sent out Erufuun! (Whimsicott)
The foe's String Bean's Drizzle made it rain!

Start of turn 1
[ N64 ] Just called String Bean back!
[ N64 ] Just sent out OG! (Ferrothorn)

Erufuun used Leech Seed!
It doesn't affect the foe's OG...

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 2
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's OG fell for the taunt!

The foe's OG can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 3
Erufuun used Substitute!

The foe's OG used Power Whip!
It's not very effective...
Erufuun's substitute took the damage!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 4
[ N64 ] Just called OG back!
[ N64 ] Just sent out Mouser! (Tornadus)

Erufuun used Stun Spore!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 5
Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's Mouser is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's Mouser is paralyzed! It can't move!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 6
Erufuun used Leech Seed!

The foe's Mouser used Hurricane!
It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 7
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 8
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 9
Erufuun used Substitute!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 10
Erufuun used Leech Seed!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 11
Erufuun used Leech Seed!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 12
Erufuun used Leech Seed!
The foe's Mouser was seeded!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's Mouser's health is sapped by leech seed.

Start of turn 13
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 14
Erufuun used Substitute!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 15
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's Mouser fell for the taunt!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 16
[ N64 ] Just called Mouser back!
[ N64 ] Just sent out OG! (Ferrothorn)

Erufuun used Substitute!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 17
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's OG fell for the taunt!

The foe's OG can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 18
Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's OG is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

The foe's OG used Power Whip!
The attack of the foe's OG missed!

Rain continues to fall!
[ N64 ] Just: I hate that thing
[ N64 ] Just: xD
Byrn Torno: lol

Start of turn 19
[ N64 ] Just called OG back!
[ N64 ] Just sent out John Stamos! (Empoleon)

Erufuun used Stun Spore!
The foe's John Stamos is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

Rain continues to fall!
Byrn Torno: This is just part of my team thoguh

Start of turn 20
Erufuun used Leech Seed!
The foe's John Stamos was seeded!

The foe's John Stamos is paralyzed! It can't move!

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's John Stamos's health is sapped by leech seed.
[ N64 ] Just: Its working amazingly!

Start of turn 21
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's John Stamos fell for the taunt!

The foe's John Stamos used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 22
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 23
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's John Stamos's taunt ended!

Start of turn 24
Erufuun used Substitute!

The foe's John Stamos is paralyzed! It can't move!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 25
Erufuun used Taunt!
The foe's John Stamos fell for the taunt!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!
[ N64 ] Just: Well done
Byrn Torno: Thanks
[ N64 ] Just: I'm going to go make a team with one now xD

Start of turn 26
Erufuun used Substitute!

It's super effective!

Rain continues to fall!

I do have to say though, SubSeeding without Taunt/Stun Spore is harder. Taunt could probably be replaced by Cotton Guard/Encore/Tickle, maybe even U-Turn, but Stun Spore is a must on any Sub Seeding Set. The Parahax it provides allows extra recovery and chance to actually start seeding if needed. Like for instance they switch in a Heatran while you put up a sub. Stun Spore. If it hits Sub till Para, or Switch to counter. If it misses, no harm no foul, you took only 19% Damage over 2 turns and can switch out to a counter. Sub and Spore are used a whole lot more together then Seed and Sub in this case.

BTW paring this guy up with ParaShuffling Dragonite is just mean...

Surprise factor requires the surprise to be effective in order to be a valid strategy. If I planned on throwing cottonballs at your face, I wouldn't need to sneak up on you to do it; you'd just take a few cottonballs to the dome and proceed to beat me up. There would be no reason to have your guard up while i'm threatening you with cottonballs. Offensive whimsicott is that cottonball.

Also, whether or not to use solar beam on a sun team is debatable, and most people choose not to (you stated why). Solar Beam users can be an effective lure though, as ttar will always switch into ninetales expecting solar beam, but getting will-o-wisped instead...unfortunately an offensive whimsicott has nothing to cripple ttar with except maybe grasswhistle (and that's suicidal) while the encore version can seed the switch-in and then act accordingly. I suppose you could set up cotton guard, but whimsicott faces a huge problem with ttar because practically all of them are carrying ice beam or fire blast. If you're lucky enough to get the dragon dancer, you might be in good shape defensively...but how would you kill it?

And finally, and this is the clincher, there is really no reason at all to use an offensive whimsicott in the sun while sawsbuck and venusaur exist. You're just hindering yourself for no real reason by neglecting these two monsters.
I realize you used that specific example to display how offensive Whimsicott is sort of ridiculous in that scenario. After all, Whimsicott has many enemies already, and these can utterly destroy a Whimsicott unprepared. However, this Whimsicott possibly has it's own little niche. It doesn't even have to be on a sun team if Sunny Day is in it's second moveslot. Yes, surprise is useless if your surprising someone with a feather, but this Whimsicott can obliterate that which threatens a subseeding/supporting Whimsicott, as well as having the potential to be a late-game sweeper if it is running Sunny Day. Key counters to a subseeding Whimsicott are bulky waters running Ice Beam and the occasional Celebi. This Whimsicott deals with them effectively, something that is difficult to deny. If it is running Fake Tears, special walls don't stand a chance, and Whimsicott gets a free turn on the switch. If the opponent is running ttar, then here's a crazy idea: have a different party member deal with him. I'll try to run it soon (out of curiosity if it isn't a completely waste of a poke), and post how effective it is.

I was also looking through your list of things to counter a subbing Whimsicott...if they counter ONLY a subbing Whimsicott, then this statement is null and void: The Whimsicott I outlined above takes on a good half of those pokes. Lets make a merry little list of previous threats this Whimsicott can deal with:
Ferrothorn, Gliscor, Scizor, Conkeldurr, Skarmory, Starmie, Forretress, Breloom, Lucario (if Whimsicott can survive a hit :p), Tentacruel, Mienshao (The thing can't take a hit), Weavile

You get the point. With the (essentially two) variations in the set, it can take on these previously awesome counters (Keep circumstance in mind. Offensive Whimsicott isn't going to come in on a +2 Swords Dance Luke).

If you're using a support Whimsicott instead of a general Subseeder Substitute can be replaced by other stuff if you're pretty sure Whimsicott can predict perfectly with U-turn, and be fast enough to get out before it gets nailed.

Sig-worthy material right there. Hope you don't mind...

@L3un1t

I really don't know standard sets/EVs and stuff, so unless you/someone could tell me, these are all I could do for now.

Your Whimsicott vs...

252/4 Relaxed Ferrothorn: 60%-71%

252/252 Careful Ferrothorn: 45%-53%

252/4 Impish Skarmory: 47%-56%

252/252 Impish Skarmory: 35%-41%

252/4 Adamant Scizor: 84%-98%

EDIT: Note that these assume sun isn't up. I really wish I noticed that before I started, but I'm sure you get the picture.

Sig-worthy material right there. Hope you don't mind...

@L3un1t

I really don't know standard sets/EVs and stuff, so unless you/someone could tell me, these are all I could do for now.

Your Whimsicott vs...

252/4 Relaxed Ferrothorn: 60%-71%

252/252 Careful Ferrothorn: 45%-53%

252/4 Impish Skarmory: 47%-56%

252/252 Impish Skarmory: 35%-41%

252/4 Adamant Scizor: 84%-98%

EDIT: Note that these assume sun isn't up. I really wish I noticed that before I started, but I'm sure you get the picture.
*cries inside*

...in the sun it KO's that scizor, can kill relaxed ferrothorn if ideal, and can 2HKO everything else. I see that it is pretty much a lost cause, but i'll try running it for the final nail in this set's coffin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)