This Team Has No Discernable Theme (Climbed 4000 Rankings In 3 Hours

This Team Has No Discernable Theme

Overview:
Although this may make it a little hard to rate, this team has no discernable theme. Before you exit this page I do have some logic behind this. I have always felt trapped making one particular type of team (like rain or stall) as other types of teams may have an advantage. To fix this issue I have made a team that can adapt to my opponent’s team and playstyle in order to counter it. It has gone from 5000 to 900 in 3 hours of playing or so and I love the team and the pokemon in it.

The Team:

I have some interesting members on my team but all work out good if not great. I have an assortment of bulky members that can still deal significant damage with resistances, priority and speed sprinkled in between. This is my first gen 5 team so.... be honest!

Team Building Process:

1. I love anti-leads. Entry hazard leads always seemed like a waste to me if the opponent brought rapid spin support. So, I wanted something that could kill the common leads, something with bulk, nice resistances, and usability later in the game. Dragonite fit the bill perfectly.

2. I'd like some more priority and when I saw how water weak common pokemon were, I knew I had to use Azumarill and its super powerful aqua jet

3. I wanted a fire and grass type for a fire, water, grass core. Grass/poison and fire/steel make a really nice combo and I wanted something to toxic things so I chose Heatran and Amoongus. Heatran can even set up stealth rocks.

4. A psychic type would be nice to complement Heatran and Amoongus and regeneration worked so well on Amoongus I decided to try it out on Slowbro

5. After viewing tons of RMTs I've noticed how anti-metagame the flying type was and knew that I had to use a flying pokemon. When I saw that Staraptor got reckless I immediately put it on my team.

6. I didn't like setting up stealth rocks with Heatran so I decided to switch from Slowbro to Bronzong. He's bulky, can set up stealth rocks and screens, can deal with dragons and can do decent damage with gyro ball. He can basically do everything Slowbro did and more.

7. Heatran seemed very redundant with Bronzong when I could be using a faster fire type with will-o-wisp. I decided to use Victini. He is reasonably fast, reasonably strong, very bulky and can use will-o-wisp.

8.Thanks to the awesomeness of Jupiter Djinn my eyes were opened to defensive mew. I forgoed my fire, water, grass for instant recovery and less stealth rock weaknesses and has been working out good although I do miss the stab fire move.
In-Depth Look
(Changes are in red)
In-depth Look:

Dragonite @ leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
Mild Nature
EVs: 56 Atk/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 200 Spe
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Extremespeed
Such an amazing lead. He can take out 2-3 pokemon and come back later with priority. Thanks to multiscale, he can survive a Thundurus’s HP Ice and KO it with a Draco Meteor + Extremespeed or a Genesects Ice beam and KO with fire blast. I didn’t use his resistances as much as I thought I would but that’s not to say he isn’t bulky. I have considered running gale over earthquake but earthquake provides too much coverage and is even useable after draco meteor. I am currently running earthquake over superpower not just because it is legal but I find it the better coverage move. The EV spread is copied from somewhere and has been working out well but am open to change on it. I’m not going to replace him or too much of his moveset just because its been working out so well.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: 234 HP/ 252 Atk/ 12 Def/ 12 Sp. Def
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Ice punch
Superpower
Don’t mess with the aqua rabbit. This is a very self-explanatory set. Superpower killing Ferrothorn is the only real thing to note about the moves. Azumarill is bulky enough to take a Garchomp’s earthquake and 2HKO with aqua jet or 1HKO with ice punch. The EV spread is because according to Rawrchomp you should put 12 points into each defense for optimum bulk (I havent noticed that much of a difference) There’s nothing else to say other than that Azumarill can take out Excadrill, Volcarona and friends. Priority is great this gen and Azumarill can attest to that.

Amoongus @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regeneration
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 4 Def
Clear Smog
Toxic
Spore
Giga Drain
The shroom needs some lovin too. He is much better than I expected him to be; he can shrug of special hits with no problem, he has basically instant recovery with regeneration and giga drain and is the perfect counter to Serperior and Keldeo as he barely takes a quarter from +2 HP ice/fire and can eliminate the boosts with clear smog. As good as he is, I often have thought about trying evo-stone roselia, celebi or another bulky grass type in his spot but miss the toxic on my team. I have dual-status on here because I love to toxic things that expect to be slept and sleeping that expect to be toxiced. Black sludge is actually there purposely instead of leftovers as any trick users that try to give another member black sludge will be punished with a cripplind status condition or strong move. The EV spread gives me tons of special bulk but does give me the lowest defense on my team. Even with such low defense he can still take physical hits reasonably well thanks to his HP and recover it back with a surprisingly strong giga drain.

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Softboiled
Will-O-Wisp
Taunt
Seismic Toss
Isnt he just sooo cute :3. Oh yeah! The RMT. Ooopsy just so lost in how amazing mew is. He has a much bulkier spread than Victini
allowing him to take so many hits like a boss. Mew still lures in many foes (like tyranitar) and cripples them will-o-wisp but now he can stall the opponent out with softboiled. Ive had some trouble with the last two moveslots; deciding between a combination of psychic/flamethrower/taunt/seismic toss. I decided that flamethrower and psychic werent strong enough with my bulky EV spread and that even if I do less damage with seismic toss I can still recover and have another turn to deal damage out again. This is just a great set and really shows the bulk of the pixies; Im really suprised this set isnt used very often.

Bronzong @ leftovers
Trait: Levitate
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp. Def
IVs: 2 Spe IVs
Gyro Ball
Stealth Rock
HP Ice
Reflect
The average, run-of-the-mill Bronzong. I love him though! I just wanna take a nap in him! But, I digress. Bronzong primarily sets up stealth rocks and screens for me. Hp ice allows me to counter dragons that can take gyro balls and set up on me. The EVs give me a very defensively balanced Bronzong. Gyro ball is suprisingly powerful especially with my speed decreasing nature and IVs. He normally walls dragons for me while setting up, killing them and acting as death fodder once his job is done; there isn’t much more to say about him, very self-explanatory, very effective.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Brave Bird
Return
Close Combat
U-turn
Staraptor easily gets MVP. With reckless he quickly decimates tons of pokemon and for those of you that think the recoil percentage is increased with reckless; It’s not! The damage you do is increased therefore the recoil is increased. He often gets 2-3 kills per match against teams with few flying resistances. Unfortunately, He can only kill 3 full health pokemon with brave bird; that’s where return and close combat come in as they are recoil free. Staraptors job is to kill anything my team cant handle so I was thinking about putting quick attack on over u-turn in case my priority users are dead and its against a fast scarfer or an opposing priority user. I don’t use u-turn very often anyway as it racks up stealth rock damage anyway. The EVs and nature are very self-explanatory although I have been thinking about running jolly to outspeed max speed scarf Garchomp but as long as I have Bronzong, Azumarill or even Dragonite I should be okay.

Team Stats:
Highest HP: 432 Amoongus
Average HP: 368
Lowest HP: 311 (Staraptor)
Physical Attackers Highest Attack: 654 (Azumarill + Choice Band and Huge Power)
Physical Attackers Average Attack (With Items): 448
Physical Attackers Lowest Attack: 318 (Dragonite not counting Bronzong)
Special Attackers Highest Special Attack: 328 (Dragonite)
Special Attackers Average Special Attack: 328
Special Attackers Lowest Special Attack: 328 (Dragonite not counting Amoongus)
Highest Defense: 321 (Mew not counting marvel scale Dragonite)
Average Defense: 229 (not counting marvel scale)
Lowest Defense: 177 (Staraptor and Amoongus)
Highest Special Defense: 330 (Bronzong not counting marvel scale)
Average Special Defense: 236 (not counting marvel scale)
Lowest Special Defense: 136 (Staraptor)
Highest Speed: 448 (Staraptor + Choice Scarf)
Average Speed: 205
Lowest Speed: 65 (Bronzong)

Offensive Threats:

Aerodactyl - Bronzong, Azumarill, Amoongus in a pinch

Archeops -Bronzong, Azumarill, Amoongus in a pinch
(copy and paste FTW)

Azelf - Staraptor outspeeds, Azumarill, Dragonite
has priority

Bisharp - Dragonite has EQ + Fire blast,Staraptor has
CC and lives +0 Sucker punch, Bronzong walls it,

Breloom - Amoongus, Mew and Dragonite only fear
sleep

Chandelure - Azumarill! Staraptor outspeeds and KO's

Cobalion - Dragonite has a couple SE moves,Azumarill
hits it with Superpower, Staraptor has CC

Conkeldurr -Mew can take a +1 payback no problem,
Staraptor survives mach punch.

Darmanitan - Azumarill, Dragonite,
Staraptor

Deoxys-S - Azumarill, Dragonite

Dragonite - Dragonite, Bronzong, Amoongus can toxic
Staraptor

Druddigon - Dragonite, Bronzong, Amoongus can toxic

Eelektross - Amoongus can toxic it and wall even the
flamehtrowers

Electivire - Bronzong walls it, Staraptor kills it

Emboar -Azumarill, Mew, Staraptor

Empoleon - Amoongus sleeps it and takes ice beams.
Staraptor kills it.

Espeon - Staraptor, Azumarill

Escavalier -Dragonite has FB, Mew cripples it and can
aometimes survive megahorn depending on the set

Excadrill - Azumarill, Amoongus can take a couple
hits

Garchomp - Azumarill, Staraptor, Bronzong

Genesect - Dragonite lives ice beams and blasts it
with fire, Staraptor

Gengar -Staraptor, Azumarill

Golurk - Azumarill, Amoongus, Bronzong, Staraptor

Gyarados - Amoongus clear smogs away boosts and
toxics it, Bronzong,

Haxorus - Bronzong, Staraptor

Heatran - Azumarill, Dragonite, Staraptor

Heracross - Bronzong, Staraptor, Dragonite

Hydreigon - Azumarill takes a hit and kills with
superpower, if its choiced then Bronzong

Infernape - Azumarill, Mew, Dragonite

Jirachi - Mew stalls it out, Dragonite

Jolteon - Staraptor, Bronzong, Amoongus

Keldeo - Amoongus! Staraptor

Kingdra -Staraptor, Amooongus can take ice beam and
spore.

Krookodile - Staraptor, Azumarill, Amoongus

Kyurem - Staraptor vs. non-scarfers. Azumarill,
Bronzong,

Landorus - Azumarill, Staraptor, Bronzong walls it

Latios - Bronzong, Staraptor

Lilligant - Amoongus, Staraptor

Lucario - Mew can take crunchs, Staraptor, Dragonite

Machamp - Staraptor, Mew

Magnezone - Dragonite, Staraptor

Mamoswine - Bronzong, Azumarill

Meloetta-S - Azumarill, Staraptor,

Meloetta-V - Azumarill, Staraptor, Mew

Metagross - Dragonite, Bronzong walls it, Mew

Mienshao - Staraptor,Mew , Bronzong, Amoongus

Reuniclus - Staraptor, Azumarill, Mew has Taunt

Roserade - Staraptor, Dragonite

Salamence - Bronzong, Staraptor

Sawsbuck - Amoongus can take a megahorn and spore,
Staraptor can kill it if asleep, Bronzong,
Dragonite can live with marvel scale

Scizor - Mew, Dragonite

Scrafty- Staraptor, Azumarill

Seismitoad -Amoongus, Staraptor, Azumarill, Bronzong
walls it.

Serperior - Amoongus, Staraptor Dragonite
(if no HP ice)

Shaymin - Amoongus, Staraptor, Dragonite (if no HP ice)

Sigilyph - Staraptor, Azumarill,

Smeargle - Dragonite, Azumarill, Staraptor

Starmie -Staraptor, Bronzong

Terakion - Bronzong, Azumarill

Thundurus - Bronzong, Dragonite, Amoongus, Staraptor

Togekiss - Staraptor, Azumarill, Bronzong,

Tornadus - Staraptor, Azumarill

Tyranitar -Azumarill, Staraptor, Bronzong, Amoongus

Venusaur - Amoongus, Staraptor if not in sun, Bronzong
Mew, Dragonite

Victini - Azumarill, Dragonite,Staraptor,

Virizion - Staraptor, Amoongus, Mew, Dragonite

Volcarona -Dragonite, Azumarill, Staraptor

Weavile - Bronzong, Mew can take night slashes

Zoroark - Azumarill, Staraptor, Dragonite

Ok so you're team actually looks pretty good. But they're were some mistakes.

Dragonite should have Multiscale, not Marvel Scale. Also, I remember there being a different EV spread for Anti-lead Dragonite, but I can't seem to remember...

Azumarill is a boss. Although, if I remember correctly, you should actually put 12 EV's in each defense (taken from HP) to make it bulkier. It might not make too much of a difference though.

Amoongus, huh? Never seen one of these, but it looks pretty nice, although change Black Sludge for Lefties. I realize they do the same thing, but if a Trick user comes in, they can take the Black Sludge and give to someone else on the team, crippling them for good.

That is just the oddest Victini set ever. I personally think Victini has too many common weaknesses and no reliable recovery to be a good "bulky poke," but if it's working fine with you, ok.

Bronzong should have HP Ice with 2 Speed EV's so it can effectively counter Pokemon such as Garchomp, Salamence, Gliscor, and other Dragons. This makes him much more effective as a Dragon counter.

Well, you left out Staraptor's move set, but I assume it's Brave Bird, Return, Close Combat, and U-turn/Quick Attack. Reckless isn't doing all so much with this moveset, maybe change Return to Double-Edge?

Hope this helped.

Shoot Im sooooooooooooo sorry!!!
Yes Staraptors moveset is currently:
Brave Bird
Return
Close Combat
U-turn ( but considering quick attack)

I have no idea how to edit the thread so if any one could tell me I will change the ability to the proper name and put in Staraptors moveset. I changed Azumarills EVs around as recomended and havent really noticed a difference but its not hurting me either.....
I like Black sludge just because I feel that my team has enough offensive pressure so that any trickers that do trick me black sludge will be killed. But thanks for the advice anyway!
Yes the lack of reliable recovery hurts on Victini but its resistances, balanced stats and even its weaknesses fit very nicely in my team.
I replaced Light Screen with HP ice and its been working out decently.. yet beter than light screen so thank you.
I have return here for a recoil-free stab so Im gonna stick with it.
Thank-you so much for the rates :)

Ive been thinking about trying out rotom heat in Victini's spot after finding a interestting bulky set. Here it is:

Defensive Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest
--Overheat
--Thunderbolt
--Will-O-Wisp
--Pain Split
I briefly tried my own variant of this set in the earlier stages in the team with substitute over will-o-wisp but have forgotten how it works....lol
Tell ma what you think!​

Hey, I noticed your team has 3 stealth rock weaknesses and none of your defensive options carry a recovery move (although Giga Drain + Regeneration on Amoongus keeps it around). I believe a defensive Mew set can replace your Victini while keeping the slot's original purpose intact. It drops the weaknesses (and the resistances) of Fire-typing, but this will reduce the number of Stealth Rock weak Pokemon on your team and hopefully give you a mon with longevity.

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Nature: Bold
-Taunt
-Softboiled
-Will-O-Wisp
-Psychic/Seismic Toss

Directly from the analysis. The Speed EVs are for out-running max+ Tyranitar.

Mew is really bulky and has been working out well the only thing that hurts is the lack of a fire move as dragonite doesnt like to switch in to the likes of ferrothorn. Ive tried running just flamethrower or just seismic toss; and seismic toss seems to work out good. Ive been thinking of scratching taunt for fire blast and psychic to counter conkeldurr and ferrothorn but im not sure. I will probably be using mew instead of victini but will not change the rmt until I decide on the moveset. Help with the set would be great. Thank-you sooooooo much, Jupiter Djinn the mew was a great idea!

Nevermind after some testing flamethrower doesnt do enough to steels anyway so Im going to stick with

Mew @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Softboiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Seismic Toss
I am now updating the thread

Ive been thinking about this instead of amoongus even though its working out Im just getting bored of using it :3

Giga Drain
Substitute
Leech Seed
Recover
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 220 Sp.Def / 36 Spe
basic sub seeder and can support other less bulky team mates

Celebi is nice. Better than amoongus? I dont know.. dont think so though. I like leechseed but miss toxic anything to help with this dilemna?

Celebi has a HUGE weakness to Bug and weaknesses to Fire, Ice, Flying, Dark and Ghost, So i wouldn't bother with it. But you can try it.

U-Turn is good enough to keep on it.

Thanks, espeonx. I was getting bored with it anyway and I think its best not to add another dark weakness to my team.

Im not sure if I should take the lack of rates as an insult or a compliment.... but thankz for those who have rated. It means a lot!

Quite a few things here:

1. Try Bulky Arcanine over Mew. It is bulky, has instant recovery, and STAB Flare Blitz is really cool.

2. Since your team is still weak to SR, use Forretress over Bronzong, as Bug- typing is better than Psychic-typing and then you also have Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, and Spikes.

3. Don't double post. This is not accepted on smogon and you can get banned for it. Don't post 2 times or more in a row.

Thank you sooo much for warning me about double posting. I am quite new and if anyone could tell me if there is a page with all the rules on it and where to find it that would be great. Just to be sure i dont break them any more.

On the note of the foretress, I tested it out for a while and dont really like it. Bronzong killed dragons for me and foretress cant do that. The only advantage foretress has over bronzong is spikes and rapid spin when there are many more reasons that bronzong outclasses foretress. Foretress also takes away form the multi-purpose factor of my team as it has no offensive prowress. I know a couple members on my team are stealth rock weak but Dragonite usually stays in and dies early in the game in exchange for 2 or 3 of my opponents pokemon and Staraptor usually doesnt switch as it comes out late game when my opponents steels have been taken care of. I would also like to note that my opponent doesnt really get much of a chance to set up stealth rock without being severely crippled or killed.

On another note, I quite like your bulky arcanine idea. This is the set I am running:

Arcanine (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- ExtremeSpeed

It has similar bulk to mew with heavy defense investment+intimidate. I also like the fact I can run extremespeed giving me some more priority and is therefore more multi purpose than Mew. I run flamethrower so I dont have to use a recoil move. However, I dont like the fact that i have to rely on morning sun with the prevelence of sandstorm and rain. I also dont have access to taunt. I am not sure on the EV spread so advice on that would be appreciated!

After much more testing I decided to stick with mew, morning sun wasnt reliable enough, and the only real advantage for using arcanine over mew is its typing which I didnt miss that much. The lack of fire stab isnt the best but I would much rather have more bulk, reliable recovery and taunt then a fire move and priority (which I have on my dragon anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)