Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just call it RU Ubers. Or alternatively, call it the RU banlist.

RU is not a replacement to NU. It is in addition to NU.
This I did not know. After the discussion in PR regarding the overhaul of the tier names, I assumed you received the go-ahead on changing NU's name. I can scarcely imagine what NU's going to look like at this rate. Quiver Butterfree? Beautifly? Dustox?

I did a thesaurus search.

beginning, borderline , door, edge, entrance, line, march, marchland, outpost, pale, perimeter, sideline, threshold

abuttals, ambit, barrier, beginning, border, borderland, borderline , bounds, brink, circumference, circumscription, compass, confines, edge, end, environs, extent, extremity, frame, fringe, frontier, hem, horizon, limits, line, line of demarcation, march, margin, mark, mere, mete, outline, outpost, pale, perimeter, periphery, precinct, purlieus, radius, rim, side, skirt, terminal, termination, terminus, verge

I don't know. Brink and Brim stand out to me. Something like Brink Edge?

Actually... Why is this even something to discuss? I am completely fine with BL2. But people apparently don't like that.

EDIT @ above: RU Ban List. Rubl is fine enough.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EDIT @ above: RU Ban List. Rubl is fine enough.
I've said it before and I'll say it again (though I was definitely not the first. I can't remember who was though), it should be called RU Banlist, or RUB. We won't ban pokemon from RU, we'll just.... RUB them out.

I did a thesaurus search.

beginning, borderline , door, edge, entrance, line, march, marchland, outpost, pale, perimeter, sideline, threshold
I like TH, for ThresHold.
I also like SL, for SideLine.

Plus, SL would be consistent with BL. SideLine. BorderLine.

I think I'd still rather have the tiers numbered rather than the current system:

Ubers = Tier 0.5
OU = Tier 1
BL = Tier 1.5
UU = Tier 2
RU Banlist = Tier 2.5
RU = Tier 3
NU Banlist = Tier 3.5
NU = Tier 4

Or T0.5, T1, etc.

This makes the tier order obvious (because let's face it, it isn't immediately obvious what the difference between "Under Used" and "Rarely Used" is), and also makes it clear which tiers are based on banlists instead of usage (usage tiers are whole numbers, while banlists are "half tiers").

It's also worth noting that OU, UU, RU, and NU is misleading, since it makes it sound like every tier is based off of OU. It's entirely possible that the Pokemon 1 spot away from OU could actually be in the NU tier since it doesn't work in the UU or RU metagames. If it appears on over three percent of OU teams, it hardly seems accurate to call it "Never Used". Electivire and Quagsire are good examples of this, being somewhat common in OU (over 2.5% usage, anyways), but being all the way down in RU due to not being used much in UU.

Just a thought, anyways.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
They're both bad examples because Electivire shouldn't be there at all and Quagsire should be where Swampert is and people are too dumb to use him.

breh

強いだね
We won't ban pokemon from RU, we'll just.... RUB them out.
ahaha

@Ultimario: actually they both suck; one is just overall bad, the other is OHKOed by the number one poke in the tier and can't do jack shit in return bar maybe yawn

Magic Coat user. An attack form of the Magic Bounce move. Although Im pretty sure Xatu is in RU. A surprising amount of pokemon learn this move, too many to list. At least over 40, which includes Cresselia.
Xatu is UU.

The bulkiest thing in the tier (if I'm not mistaken) can't even switch in, as it
List of RU Pokemon who resist Moltres' dual STAB: Rotom-H, Lanturn, Rock-types.
Notice how 2 of those are weak to HP Grass...

Speaking of Rotom-H, it not only deals with Moltres, but also Yanmega and to an extent, Venemoth. Rotom-H is win in this metagame.
Rotom-H is also UU.

Jeez people, if you're going to competitively discuss something at least check your facts beforehand.

As for the current topic I think 'BL2' (Border Line 2) is a perfectly adequate name. It minimizes confusion and has the same straight forward definition as the original BL, it's a border between two tiers, and it would be the second 'Border Line' to come into existence.

Let's not start the whole Swampert/Quagsire thing again. Swampert is a tank, Quaggy's a wall, different roles.

And I'm willing to bet Quaggy will go up to UU now that Chlorophill won't be half the metagame.

--

On the naming topic:

Yep, this has not replaced NU. Just that if you intend to have 4 teirs, the 3rd can't be NEVERused, because how do you go below Never? Negative used? But that makes no sense!

However, as for the talk about the banlist, stop that. BL2 works, or even RU-BL. We're at least three weeks from the suspect test, and, TBH, nothing sticks out but Cress, who may wind up UU now anyway due to the lack of Drought.

Anyway, now I have time, I'm gonna try out RU stall. I'll let you guys know how that works.

Even though it's pretty counter-intuitive to tiering by usage...
Why not just label stuff by the lowest tier they're usable in?
If something's banned in RU, why not just label it UU, short for "UU is the lowest tier this is usable in", regardless of whether it gets much use in the higher tier?
You can always add something to denote it's in that tier by merit of a ban rather than usage - e.g. Kyurem is OU* ; Kyurem is OU- etc.

1 cent given. Second cent goes to saying I think the RU tier is a good idea.

Because OU should give a reliable picture of what the metagame looks like or it weakens people's team-building. If it isn't overused it shouldn't be in overused.

I think I'd still rather have the tiers numbered rather than the current system:

Ubers = Tier 0.5
OU = Tier 1
BL = Tier 1.5
UU = Tier 2
RU Banlist = Tier 2.5
RU = Tier 3
NU Banlist = Tier 3.5
NU = Tier 4

Or T0.5, T1, etc.
I agree wholeheartedly with this, and created an account to post with just to say it.
THis is the clearest, easiest way to arrange pokes in. For each metagame, only pokes wth a rating equal to or higher than the tier are allowed. For example OU, the standard metagame, would be labeled Tier 1, and allow any poke with a rating 1 or higher. Our current UU would be Tier 2, allowing only 2 and higher, and forbidding Ubers (0.5) OU (1) And BL (1.5). So on and so forth, the new RU (Tier 3) bans everything above it, and NU (T4) all above it.

What this achieves most of all is clarity at a glance and continued simplicity. We don't need to be arguing about synonyms to name the new tier of usage and banlists for it, and there's no more messing around with OU/NU/BL/RUB and remembering just what the hell it all means. Numbers are infallible, and make sense to anybody looking at them, from seasoned veteran or the kids just looking into competitive battling for the first time.

Take it for what its worth coming from a first time poster, but I urge you, numbered tiers are the way to go.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, Blizzspam is extremely powerful in this tier. If you can get rid of Slowking and Regice (Tickle + Pursuit does beautifully), you can spam Blizzards all day long and there will be absolutely nothing to stop you.

List of viable Blizzspammers:
- Snover (Scarf Snover is actually pretty neat)
- Rotom-F
- Glaceon
- Jynx
- Walrein
- Articuno
- Regice
- Ice cream
- Cryogonal

TR rulez!
TR is actually a great strategy with stuff like slowking and eviolite porygon in RU, countering QP, SSP and Speed Boost Pokes (Shar and Mega have crappy defense/typing)
I love playing Trick Room, and seeing that people here say Speed Boosters and Quiver/Smash Passing dominates, it's easy to see how Trick Room is an effecive strategy. I'd check it myself soon enough, once I get the chance to try out RU, but who are the decent Trick Room set-uppers other than Slowking and Eviolite Porygon?

This tier sounds really fun, as you can use snover + walrein for hail stall. Then you can use Alakazam with magic guard.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
This tier sounds really fun, as you can use snover + walrein for hail stall. Then you can use Alakazam with magic guard.
That would work great expcept Alakazam with Magic Guard isnt released iirc.

Edit: Ninja'd

Dunno if this has been stated yet, but what do yall think about parafusionflinch rotom-s? I've been using it for a bit now, and it seems to be a solid team member, stopping the set-ups of Yanmega(without hypnosis) and venomoth(IF you have a sleep fodder, but to solve that i use CurseSleepTalk regice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)