10/10 games

Time then? And how can someone call themselves a fine connoisseur if they avoid playing things with their original controller and console? Let alone if they don't have the decency to support developers for current games.
So basically anyone playing Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Guilty Gear, Tekken, Arcana Heart etc. (fuck Marvel for preventing me from saying all mainstream fighting games) on home console is automatically disqualified as a fine connoisseur cause they didn't play it on the original console - the arcade cabinet?

Brings a whole new light to the 'STOP PLAYING ONLINE ON PAD AND GET TO THE ARCADE SCRUBS' argument!

As for 10/10 games I believe FFIX is probably the closest game I've played that is 10/10. I don't think I've ever played a game that is truly flawless though.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I really like the concept of FF9. It was basically the first Final Fantasy since oh, I dunno, FF4 whose characters aren't completely cookie-cutter in combat. (FF5 and FFT are the job system, FF6 eventually everyone just spams the same Magic, FF7 everyone literally IS the same except Limit and final weapon effect... plus "spam KotR," FF8 just limits again.) The characters ooze personality, the environments are vibrant and the only big mechanics complaint I remember having is the terrible learn-abilities-through-items system, which both forces you to grind and wear inferior gear for too long. So then why is it the only game I've ever owned that I didn't complete? :( Besides my used copy Disc 4 not working, which is inconsequential to the fact I wouldn't have completed it anyway. As much as I admire the game for various reasons, it's hard for me to recommend it when I could never even bring myself to finishing it, you know?

And seriously, I just noticed the lack of Diablo 2 in this topic. Come on, guys! And I'm really interested in playing Demon's Souls after Fishin's explanation in the opening post. Too bad I won't be playing any PS3 recommendations any time soon.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
FF6 eventually everyone just spams the same Magic
Finally someone else gets it. Still a great game though.

Brings a whole new light to the 'STOP PLAYING ONLINE ON PAD AND GET TO THE ARCADE SCRUBS' argument!
No, that's pretty much the existing light of the argument. It's all about experiencing a game in its truest form, and once upon a time arcade cabinets were years ahead of consoles.

Wish I had enough money to be that snooty. Still saving up for my first cabinet.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Chrono Trigger is perhaps the greatest RPG of all-time. It finally did something about Final Fantasy's goddamn random encounters and the battle system was innovative as well. The story is one the most atmospheric I've ever seen and I'm not sure that anything will ever top it.

The World Ends With You has a fantastic battle system, great visual style, and one of the funkiest ost's I've ever heard. The story is also one of the best.

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past is probably the best 2D action-adventure game ever created.

having played it both on an emulator and in real life, I'm gonna have to say it's more "chill" when you aren't playing it "w. ur emulator"

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Finally someone else gets it. Still a great game though.
Nah, I've always found FF6 to be grossly overrated. Great story, fun characters, but it is far from flawless. I have always rated FF4 as my favorite based almost solely on the fluid character parties you use. I also like having a max of 5, each has distinct abilities, the final area is fucking boss, etc. It's only downfall was how often people sacrificed themselves to save the group, only to turn up alive later.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I love FF4, if only because it feels so unique. With all the bullshit between 6 and 7, I think those are two of the most similar games in the series.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Most of the games I would mention have already been mentioned. I'd like to throw out Star Ocean 2 as (maybe) my favorite RPG. It's huge, lots to collect, lots to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. It's extremely hard (try Universe mode). I got emotionally attached to the characters for sure. I've wasted hundreds of hours playing that game.

Few people have mentioned FF7. The game was really easy, but its story (and music, even MIDI-ized) is one of the greatest of all time, IMO.

And let me 124124912th DKC2. The perfect platformer. I'd maybe say that Link to the Past is the perfect action RPG... I seem to be alone in this, but I think it was a lot better than Ocarina of Time.

EDIT: No love for Final Fantasy Tactics? I think it had the most replay value of any of the FF series...

Nah, I've always found FF6 to be grossly overrated. Great story, fun characters, but it is far from flawless. I have always rated FF4 as my favorite based almost solely on the fluid character parties you use. I also like having a max of 5, each has distinct abilities, the final area is fucking boss, etc. It's only downfall was how often people sacrificed themselves to save the group, only to turn up alive later.
Agree completely with all of the above (if I'd gone on to mention another main series FF, it'd have been 4). The FF4 death thing is even worse on some of the re-releases where they let you change your party late in the game to include all the people who canonically die or appear to... it's like Final Fantasy 4 Ball Z the way people who really should be dead are popping up. Even in the original it's kind of bizarre(seriously, Yang?), but I guess no more bizarre than Kane: Plot Device Extraordinaire.

But man, the lack of distinct abilities in 6(and 7, and 8) took a lot out of those games for me. It's part of why I really DID like FFX, since in spite of some bizarre plot scenes(I'm looking at you, cutscenes entering and leaving Luca), during the story of the game everyone does have those unique roles which makes it a lot more fun to play to me... roles that become even more important if you play without using the sphere grid like I normally do, since you can't use the cheesy highend spheres and abilities and have everyone Quick Hitting and Doublecasting Ultima or whatever to trivialize the end of the game. That's not to knock the story in any of those other games -- and 6's in particular for some fantastic characters that stand with those in 9 as the best in the series -- but to me you need reasonably varied gameplay to be a 10/10 game. 9's terrible ability system was similarly problematic to me, especially since every time I replay i have to spend 231831233 years waiting for Zidane to hit with Steal during most of the game so I can learn abilities on time.

Gameplay, incidentally, is also why I didn't add Heavy Rain to my post, since the gameplay is (intentionally) shallow with how storycentric the game is.

I'd maybe say that Link to the Past is the perfect action RPG... I seem to be alone in this, but I think it was a lot better than Ocarina of Time.
I'd agree with that, and that LTTP is the best in the series -- but I'd also put Majora's Mask at #2 and Link's Awakening at #3(and that's where my nostalgia is, LA was the first Zelda I completed) over Ocarina of Time at #4... which is probably a lot more controversial, lol. also mre and i mentioned tactics... old smogon unite

I thought mixing individuality and customization was one of the things that FF6 did pretty well; magic was available to all characters obviously but some used it better than others and each character had their own unique ability (plus variable stats, equips, etc) though some were a lot more useful than others. Maxing magic power and throwing Ultima on every character is probably the most effective strategy in the end but that would take forever and the game certainly isn't difficult enough to warrant it.

FFIV and IX on the other hand had plenty of individuality but very little customization (if I remember correctly in FFIV you can't even change your party except in the GBA remake, and even then only at endgame), while V, VII, and VIII are at the other end of the scale.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think my next FF6 run will be an esper-less one.

It'll force me to make something happen out of shitty abilities such as Sketch/Control... and use Mog, Strago or items for healing..

I agree with MrE in that I prefer very different characters over the ability to customize everything as I see fit.

..Theres however no way I'd ever rank FF4 above FF6 like it was just suggested.

Most of the games I would mention have already been mentioned. I'd like to throw out Star Ocean 2 as (maybe) my favorite RPG. It's huge, lots to collect, lots to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. It's extremely hard (try Universe mode). I got emotionally attached to the characters for sure. I've wasted hundreds of hours playing that game.
I didn't really get into Star Ocean 2, possibly since I had just spent so much time playing the first one right before. I found Star Ocean 3 much more fun. Sure the story was terrible, but the battle system and the side quests were insane fun. Spent so much time grinding fol just so I could spend time making random items, screw saving the world. Not a 10/10 game but damn close for me.

FUCKING chaos....... HOW could i forgot star ocean 2

yeah this is definitely the first game that i ever felt attached to. not because the plot is especially inspiring, or because the characters are immacuately developed (the translation issues make everyone seem robotic, unfortunately), but something about the game just... sucks you in. i don't know what it is. it's the music, the atmosphere, but most importantly (for me) the way the towns are rendered. the bustling cities seem triumphant and intimidating, the little podunk villages seem so sleepy and relaxed that you can just imagine everyone knowing everyone else.

in spite of my earlier comment, the characters get more development than most games, and in an interesting way. private actions, when initiated, cause everyone to go into a town individually and you can talk to each character. there are tons and tons of skits in each town with different characters (where you have options that result in ingratiation if handled well or repulsion if handled poorly), and they add this level of comradery most games (at least of its era) couldn't even dream of.

a little backstory for anyone interested, the company that made this game, tri ace, made the first star ocean game as a spiritual sequel to tales of phantasia (wolf team, which did ToP, broke up and most members reformed as tri-ace). it has the feel of an early tales game in terms of general combat/item names/spells. it's got a super-fun item creation system, an engrossing skill/talent system, and basic but enjoyable combat system (albeit broken, by your second or third playthrough you'll know how to break the game and make most of it a complete write-off thanks to the item creation system).

definitely my favourite rpg, dangerously close to being my favourite game ever. if i could live anywhere in a fictional universe, it would be in mars village. sighhhhh i want to replay it right now

No, that's pretty much the existing light of the argument. It's all about experiencing a game in its truest form, and once upon a time arcade cabinets were years ahead of consoles.

Wish I had enough money to be that snooty. Still saving up for my first cabinet.
No, the argument is cause playing in a lagless environment with money on the line makes you learn much, much faster. If you could get better while playing the game in an 'untrue' or corrupt form people would do it, that isn't the reason at all.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
World Ends With You has been mentioned twice in this topic? It should get mentioned at least two times per fucking POST it's so damn good. Great Amazing Godly story, the characters were great, food system was cool, clothing system was perfect, and the battle system was nearly (the nearly is just a formality, it's 100% perfect :P) perfect. You basically control every aspect of the difficulty, too. And the inverse level-drop rate relationship was beautiful too. THE definitive DS JRPG out there, and I shed a man tear when there wasn't a sequel announcement at E3. Go buy it. And love it. You're welcome.

Pokemon Emerald. Yeah, I know it's not a Gen II game. Sue me. Gen 3 was the best, and Emerald fixed the somewhat shallow R+S. The story was pretty good albeit predictable from R+S, the Pokemon were great (fuck yeah Swampert), the difficulty was a bit too easy, but just right to a new player. You can always Nuzlocke it if it's too easy. But Lolcat, that doesn't mean it's 10/10, it just means it's good! Well, guess what's at the end of the game. The Battle Frontier. Remember the Crystal and RS Battle Towers? Emerald Battle Frontier was the best addition to a Pokemon game ever. Good for many hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Super Mario Galaxy(1) was a great platformer. The music was amazing, the whole "planet-hopping" deal was great, the graphics (for the Wii) were great, and there were even little pinches of story in there. The Comet Observatory hub was awesome, though not up to Isle Delfino standards -_-// Great game, probably 10/10.

Honorable mentions: DKC2, Super Mario Sunshine, Twilight Princess (fuck you Ocarina TP kicked your ass to the curb), E.T. the video game, M&Ms Kart Racing, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Sonic and the Black Knight oh wait...

World Ends With You has been mentioned twice in this topic? It should get mentioned at least two times per fucking POST it's so damn good. Great Amazing Godly story, the characters were great, food system was cool, clothing system was perfect, and the battle system was nearly (the nearly is just a formality, it's 100% perfect :P) perfect. You basically control every aspect of the difficulty, too. And the inverse level-drop rate relationship was beautiful too. THE definitive DS JRPG out there, and I shed a man tear when there wasn't a sequel announcement at E3. Go buy it. And love it. You're welcome..
Haha, I did consider mentioning it after I was reminded of it, but I dunno. The game is fantastic in a lot of aspects, but something prevents me from calling it a 10/10. It is my top game on DS, for sure though.

The only complaint I had with TWEWY is the fact the characters are a bit cliche after years of watching anime. I had to think hard to come up with that criticism. Collecting pins and clothing was great fun.

TWEWY definitely has flaws; too many annoying little story sections for one, also the battle system being split across two screens was annoying (especially when you got to harder fights and found your partner getting you game overs even though you were doing fine with neku, just because both characters share the same health bar; not cool). It did a lot of things well though, pity there's no sign of a sequel. It's not often big companies go out and try making something creative and new like it.

My list is fairly similar to everyone else's here.

Resident Evil 4 is just a perfect example of what a TPS, and game, should be. I can't even begin to describe how much I love that game, or how perfect it was.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Metal Gear Solid 2 just might be my favorite game ever. The gameplay was so engaging and free. I know lots of people disliked MGS2 because of how "feminine" Raiden was compared to Snake, but all of the people can quite honestly go fuck off. The story itself is beyond perfect, although I don't always prefer how Kojima presents it. This games takes me back quite a bit too. I distinctly remember playing the mission with Snake thinking "I'm just some retard running into walls with a Katana, this is motherf**king Solid Snake I'm with..." I also distinctly remember Otacon being creepily protecting of him. If I didn't keep Snake safe Otacon would have broken my legs...

Shadow of the Colossus is another game that really takes me back. Everything sewed itself together so effortlessly all I really remember was me, my horse, and a mission. There really is no other game like it. I know this generation pushes the "experience" more than any other generation, but this game has done it better than any game that came out before and after it. I believe it should be mandatory to play this game. MANDATORY.

Bioshock is without a doubt in my mind the best game of this generation. The immersion in this game is so chilling and so emotional, and it rarely takes away control from the player. This game is a standard in game development. It's what a game should do to get emotion across. This game proved you don't need flashy cutscenes to craft a story, just a provocative setting, some spine chilling characters, and the vulnerability of the player.

The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker remains to be my favorite Zelda game of all time. There's few things in a game better than sailing around the ocean, killing squids, and hopping from island to island. The final battle in with Ganon as the old ruins start to submerge is my absolute favorite boss battle of all time.

Pokemon Silver / Gold I really don't need to explain.

Dragon Quest XIII is my favorite RPG ever. I love everything about it, and there's absolutely nothing I find wrong with it. Monster teams, alchemy, deep customization, engaging characters, beautiful graphics, and an amazing story. It's perfect. I've never found another RPG to be better than it.

That's all that comes to mind right now.

I'd maybe say that Link to the Past is the perfect action RPG... I seem to be alone in this, but I think it was a lot better than Ocarina of Time.
You're not alone in that, I really liked Link to the Past while OoT was disappointing to me, I got it late having heard so much about it and didn't really find it that great - people got a bit excited about Link "growing up". Enjoyed Majora's Mask a lot more too.

G/S are horrible even by Pokemon standards.

I have a soft spot for R/S/E except there's too much surfing ughhhh.

Platinum is the best Pokemon game to date imo, but HG/SS fixed most of G/S's many, many problems so it deserves a mention too.

(Haven't played B/W much but so far they seem excellently excellent)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)