Super Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl thread

If there's another, mods close please.

What are your opinions on these games?

I'm a 64 dude, I can perform about 95% of the techs in that game, made a few of my own, and consider myself to be a very good player. I main Fox and Jiggs, with Falcon as a backup.

I also really enjoy Melee. I can Wavedash super consistently, Waveshine about half the time, and do some other cool stuff (L-canceling and double stick DIing mainly), but that's about it. I main Kirby (NOT a noob Kirby), Marth, and Sheik with Fox as a backup.

I don't like Brawl much really. I can't do any AT's really (I can DACUS, momentum cancel, and DI but that's basically it). I main MK and D3 just to win the small tourneys I go to by Tornado Spamming/Up B OoS and Chaingrabbing respectively.

You?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
WELL truthfully I only comprehend about half if the jargon you're talking about, but I've loved smash since the 64 version came out, but really I just like to play for fun, though I do get competitive with it and work to constantly improve!

in 64 i mained BLUE kirby, and that's pretty much it. corneria is my favorite board.

never reall played melee, didn't have my own game cube, but i've played it a few times. it's all right! but hey, i probably need to play it more to get a substantial opinion about it.

BRAWL is super fun, i play that all the time with my brother and anyone else around who likes to play, still rockin' blue kirby and zelda, although i don't really use shiek. otherwise, i try to dabble more in the characters and get decent enough with a large handful of them: peach, mr. g&w, pikachu, ICE CLIMBERS!! (love that game), lucas, aaand i think that's it? fuck mario, ganondorf is a big bitch etc

Love the Smash Bros series. Never had the N64 version, god knows why, I was into the rest of Nintendo games then but I mustn't have heard of it maybe :s

Melee was a monster, the only game I got on release with my 'cube, so me and my bro would sit around a TV together and play it for hours. Usually went with Kirby or Roy.

I had Brawl, but my Wii was one of those where it kept fucking about and not reading the disc properly, so I only got around to playing it for about 10 hours. Then I traded in my Wii because I was pretty bored of it anyway and the Brawl disc was the nail in the coffin. When I did play it I used Ike, he was sick! That little dash move he had was the best thing to spam.

I'll be honest, I have no idea about the competitive side of Smash Bros... I'd probably get raped by anyone with any sort of skill, I just like button mashing :P

Yeah, I take Melee and 64 pretty seriously. I still goof around, 99 Stock Falcon only matches Giant w/ Pokeballs & Party Balls on very high in Melee is still the most entertaining thing ever.

I have spent about 2,300+ hours, across the three games, playing smash. It is one of my favorite series, I play it all the time. I never really got that heavily into competitive smash, I just play a lot with my brother and friends, and dorm mates/housemates when at college. Lately I've been playing brawl- about 4 hours a night, its pretty damn fun, but also kind of a joke if you are trying to play some serious smash.

Mains

64 - Samus, Fox
Melee - Luigi, Falco
Brawl - Ike, Snake, Toon Link
Brawl- - Link, G&W, Samus

Yeah, I take Melee and 64 pretty seriously. I still goof around, 99 Stock Falcon only matches Giant w/ Pokeballs & Party Balls on very high in Melee is still the most entertaining thing ever.
I play something similar, Any character, 99 lives, with bombs, pokeballs, and bats on, 200% damage. It's a good time

I logged about 500+ hours last summer on 64.

I think Jiggs is heavily underrated. Her Wall of Pain still works, if she lands a Dair low to the ground, it;s basically over as she can go Dair Utilt Utilt Rest. Her teleport is long and gives you many mindgames to perform with it. Bair has a sick hitbox and is amazing OoS. Her combo-ing and difficulty to combo is also great too.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brawl is the trash of the smash games, melee is easily the best ones by competitive standards. People like Cathy and Super will complain about L-cancelling, but I honestly like the massive gap between casual and hardcore players. I play a fantastic falco in melee and a pretty great jiggs. I'm kinda impressed that jiggs is taking over the meta. Hungrybox is my G when it comes to favorite players. On top of that when I'm just fucking around I play Captain, it's just fun to knee people

I played pretty competitively in melee when it was really big and I could go to a lot of tournaments (living near Ann Arbor helped since there's a pretty large smash scene there). Been playing less after I started college since I moved away from the larger tournament area, but I'll still play once in a while with friends (mostly trying to teach them ATs and that kind of stuff).

I also play 64 quite a bit competitively, though admittedly I am much worse than I am in melee.

Also not too big a fan of Brawl either, though I have played most of the hacks and they can be pretty fun (Brawl - or + or whatever they are now).

mains
64: Kirby
Melee: Peach with Marth backup
Brawl: G&W when I was trying to get into it...

edit: Gen one day when we meet I am going to destroy you...

also I definitely agree with all the stuff about the player gap in melee, and it makes it really great when you're competitive, but not so great when you play with college friends and none of them know what to do against you :x

edit2: also Armada is the fucking man

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Me and my brother play Smash all the time against eachother (though never competitively).

Right now we've been playing the 64 version, and I freaking love Kirby in that game. His down A in the air is so sick, and his smash over A is sooo fast, I pretty much beat my brother every time I play as him.

Melee was the first Smash game that I ever played, and it's still my favorite. The sound effects are beautiful, and the gameplay is so smooth (so much better than that ass Brawl). I got really good with Zelda there for a bit, blasting everybody with my -> A in the air. I also love how Zelda and Peach own everybody while holding a Star Wand or Beam Sword.

Brawl is cool since there's a shit ton of characters and being able to dodge multiple times in the air is nice, but I HATE the tripping thing they implemented. Dumbest thing to ever have happened to a game series ever. I love playing as King Dedede though and pwning everybody with my hammer of doom.

I also try to get at least semi-good with every character in the game. I don't normally "main" any character. Most times I just choose Random.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I never played Smash competitively but many a night was spent playing Melee with my cousin, both of us were pretty bad

I like the character selection in Brawl but the characters don't seem as heavy as they did in Melee which kind of sucks

Melee's adventure mode was a lot more fun too, despite being a lot shorter than Brawl's

I play Ness and Pokemon Trainer, and sometimes Jigglypuff but I'm not very good with her

It's just a fun way to relax with friends for me so I'm definitely a casual player. Melee was actually the first Smash game I played - I didn't get into console games until the 64 was out of fashion. I played Marth just because he looked cool when I first started, then I realized that he was apparently actually a good character (despite the fact that I couldn't really do any of the techniques that made him very good) so I didn't feel like switching. I didn't even know things like shffl and wavedashing existed until I started losing interest in the game near the middle of high school.

After that I played 64 a lot, and I'd say I was about as good as you can get without knowing any ATs - which is to say I was pretty bad. I guess I'd say I "mained" Kirby and Pikachu, but that word kind of implies expertise in the character... the fanciest thing I could do with Kirby was the dair drill and the fanciest thing I could do with Pikachu was recover most of the time with up-b. My group of friends determined that Kirby's dair took the fun out of the game, since we were good enough to perform it semi-regularly but not good enough to avoid it nearly as often. So Kirby was banned.

Since going to college I've been playing almost exclusively Brawl since that's what most of my friends play. I use Falco and Snake the most, but I play random a lot too - interesting because I never played random in Melee or 64. I really liked playing flashy Falco over laser-spam Falco but unfortunately I never had the time to get my mechanics down. Often I would just illusion to my death while trying some fancy trick, at least once a set... that really sucked, so naturally I started playing Snake more instead of fixing my Falco playstyle.

Relative to the skill level of the average player of each of the three Smash games, I'm definitely best at Brawl. I guess I can do some base-level tricks like DI, momentum cancel, and chain grab, as well as some fancier things like DACUS. I really want to learn how to do a dash-canceled grab (?) with Falco and how to buffer commands, but I don't really have the time to (a) figure out how to actually do them (b) practice (c) practice. Oh well. I think a small part of the reason I don't want to improve that much is that I'm already near the top skill-wise within my group of friends and if I got way better the game wouldn't be nearly as much fun...

I like Gannondorf but he moves like he crippled in Brawl why does he have to be SO ASS

I spent many hundreds of hours playing the smash games myself and I think I'm finally tired of them - I really have no interest in the new one coming out at all.

I was never any good at Melee (sold it before I realized it was a better game 9.9), and I never had 64 back in the day, but I used to be solid at Brawl when I actually played it. I mained Falco and Marth, and will again when and if I finally get enough hookups in my new room. I played 64 casually now and again when I got it on VC, but again, my Wii isn't up. Never really did get used to it, but I usually played Fox or C. Falcon. I played a ton of chars in Melee, but I used Roy in the time right before I bought Brawl.

Only recently downloaded 64 on Virtual Console, I think it's pretty good. I own Melee and Brawl, and I'm somewhat partial to Brawl, if only for the story mode. Melee's Adventure Mode was innovative, but not as interesting as Subspace Emissary.

My regular characters:

64: Link
Melee: Captain Falcon/Mario (tie)
Brawl: Captain Falcon

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i miss the old days

i consider myself a strong contender in 64, and my melee marth/sheik were good

alison sucks at brawl

I still have my 64 amd Smash Bros has always been fun to play. I had Melee until I sold my gamecube and have only played Brawl a couple of times at my cousin's and my friend's house.

Characters
64: Pikachu. probably the only reason I got the game in the first place because back then, pokemon was all i knew of nintendo.
Melee: Falco. Still played with pikachu but grew feel Falco's still more. Dabbled with Mewtwo but was too frail.
Brawl: Falco. Stayed pretty much the same. Tried Lucario but outside of trolling friends with Counter, he died pretty quickly.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
People like Cathy and Super will complain about L-cancelling, but I honestly like the massive gap between casual and hardcore players.
In my defense, my complaint is with having it require a button input, not the reduction of lag on aerials. And that complaint is only because there is no strategy involved with L-Cancelling at all, if you need to choose between L-Cancel or not L-Cancelling, you should L-Cancel everytime. Anyone with any finger reflex talent should know how to L-Cancel in a short amount of time, so the difference isn't massive on that technique alone.

I used to play a lot of SSB64 online, but I've since grown tired of it. Its still my favorite Smash, but I don't know anyone locally who likes that game and I'm not really interested in online play anymore.

One more thing Did anyone else hate subspace emissary in Brawl I thought it was dreadful.

Powering up with those stupid stickers was neat though. ( I say stupid because I didn't get any good ones for a long time).

Since so many people play brawl it's a game you can have in common with anyone. I use lucas in brawl and just spam pk fire and the bat. It's not really competitive but I can beat most of the other casual players with it.

Powering up with those stupid stickers was neat though.
There should have been a game-mode where you battle as normal (versus) but equip yourself up with stickers. That would have been pretty boss.

64 will always have the nostalgia factor for me, and melee to a lesser degree, but Brawl is the best of the series thus far. It's such a well designed game, for the most part, and it continues to provide tons of fun to this day for me. Great party game, acceptable competitive game. They're all pretty awesome in their own right.

I'm excited for the next installment in the series (3DS/WiiU).

One of my roommates brought an N64 last year, so I pretty much got rehooked on Smash. Admittedly, I'm not very good; fanciest stuff I can do reliably is Forward Throw -> infinite Uair -> Falcon Dive with Falcon and Utilt -> Dair with Kirby (though sometimes I can do nice tech chases with Ness). Honestly, I still don't entirely understand DI, though I do know it is significantly less important in Smash 64 than the future games, so I guess I sort of manage.

I haven't played Melee since I've found smashboards, though I sort of follow the tournaments (Armada is my favorite because of Genesis and Pound 4).

I don't really play Brawl because the transition from 64 (where EVERYTHING combos) to Brawl (where NOTHING combos) was pretty rough. I usually play Kirby because he can sort of combo. I'll usually do a gonzo combo, spam bair, then find some way to KO.

They're all good, though Brawl is oddly sluggish as a competitive game. I'm probably like, a "really good casual player" at all of them, but no offline scene means I couldn't really elevate myself beyond that if I wanted to.

Melee is super great though, for sure. Offense and defense are both really well-represented, and it's just generally a super diverse game considering how mediocre its actual balance is. I'd love for the new game to resemble it more than Brawl did, though I'm in the "Cathy and Super" camp as far as arbitrary execution barriers are concerned (can't really think of a worse competitive game mechanic that is simultaneously so well-received as L-cancelling).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In my defense, my complaint is with having it require a button input, not the reduction of lag on aerials. And that complaint is only because there is no strategy involved with L-Cancelling at all, if you need to choose between L-Cancel or not L-Cancelling, you should L-Cancel everytime. Anyone with any finger reflex talent should know how to L-Cancel in a short amount of time, so the difference isn't massive on that technique alone.

I used to play a lot of SSB64 online, but I've since grown tired of it. Its still my favorite Smash, but I don't know anyone locally who likes that game and I'm not really interested in online play anymore.
I mean there's z-cancel in 64 but I think there is only one situation where it isn't effective and that's when you're playing jiggs, but I get what you're saying! I personally just like it, I like trivial things a lot

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
That situation is when Jigg's Dair hits something in 64. If you don't Z-Cancel, then your opponent suffers more hitstun and its easier to follow up the move. Its the only time I know of when not L-Cancelling is a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)