Super Smash Bros 64, Melee, and Brawl thread

these games are to beautiful for this thread to die.
Lets discuss melee:
best player:armada
best underrated player:shroomed
best character: fox/shiek

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
since pokemon sucks i've been trying to learn how to melee better with c. falcon, atm i still get 2-stocked at best by my friend's somewhat decent (for amateurs) ganondorf because i can't escape stupid combos like u-throw side b d-air tech chase + whatever aerial so every time he touches me it's like auto 70% =/

still trying to learn how to shffl reliably, remember to tech and l-cancel every time, and just overall control and combo instinct i guess.

these games are to beautiful for this thread to die.
Lets discuss melee:
best player:armada
best underrated player:shroomed
best character: fox/shiek
Best player: Mango. Sure he's lost to armada a few times now, but if you see his play style you can notice he's doing a lot of super risky things that he knows he probably shouldn't be doing. He just does certain things because he's so good. Not only that, but he hasn't used his main in a while. Last few times he's played at a major tournament he went falco/fox not Jiggs. I'm probably johning for him, but I'm pretty sure he'd be able to beat armada if he went jiggs. Jiggs vs young link is super fucking boring though, as we have seen in armadas matches against hungrybox.

Best underrated player: Javi before apex. I never thought this guy would do so well in an american tournament. Kind of like armada before genesis1. Sure people knew they were pretty good, but both of these players were severely underestimated until they showed their power against american smashers in an american tournament.

BlakBlastoise said:
Best player: Mango. Sure he's lost to armada a few times now, but if you see his play style you can notice he's doing a lot of super risky things that he knows he probably shouldn't be doing.
AHAGHGHAGHGAHHAHAHHAHA

come on dude

come on.

You have no idea how happy I was that he finally had a "legit loss" at Apex. I don't hate him or anything, and I consider him one of the scariest competitive gamers like ever, but man it was tiring having him troll, "sandbag," and complain about Jigglypuff after Hungrybox started making a name for himself (this especially). And it was tiring because it went on for years.

If he shows up to the next big major with Jigglypuff and destroys everyone, I mean yeah, totally, he's the best player. Cool! But until then, Falco has been his main for a long long time now, and he obviously puts a huge amount of time into the game with Fox too. There is just no question that Armada is the world #1 right now, and it baffles me that there are people who even suggest otherwise. It's like when Mew2King started losing to Mango, but people were saying he was "still the best" because he "was being too aggressive with Marth."

Also, Hungrybox is a national treasure who deserves zero of the hate he receives. =(

He's not going to use jiggs unless armada stops using YL to counterpick, which isn't going to happen. Mango plays to win, but he plays for fun also. Any competitive smasher should know that based upon the way he plays. I don't see how you think his fox/falco are on par with his jiggs. Even at genesis1 He didn't use puff very much until the finals. He just didn't feel like pulling it out. He already destroys everyone with his falco, really the only person he can't beat with fox/falco is armada, and maybe hungrybox. The mew2king thing isn't the same. M2k was at least using his main, wile mango is using secondaries. I can see why you are saying that falco is his main, since he uses it so much, but as I said, he doesn't feel the need to pull out puff. He's probably not going to use puff against armada. He has too much to lose if armada does beat his puff, which is pretty likely, Armada is a close number 2 in my book, but I still think mango is better.

and I fucking hate hungrybox. bair bair bair bair bair wait wait wait wait wait. That style is so gay. It's effective, but so fucking gay. There's no way anyone can prefer that style to Mango's super hyper mega combo risk style. Don't blame it on jiggs either. at apex most people weren't even watching grand finals, but when mango was puff in g1, that shit was hype as fuck. I guess armada going YL instead of peach is a big factor, but i'm pretty sure mango would be able to make it a little more interesting for the crowd.

if you think his playstyle is boring, you're probably not very good. hungrybox is an incredibly smart player, and it shows with every decision he makes. if it were easy to do what he does, there would be more puffs at the top of the game.

mango's playstyle might be more exciting to watch, but frankly, it's dumber. i have to admit, i was pleased that mango went all in and still lost 3-0. i went, "good, now nobody can possibly argue that armada isn't the best"

i wanted to see axe do better at apex. i love that pikachu

There's a point where they aren't "secondaries" anymore. I think "after years of dominant play as primary tournament characters" is well past that line. Nobody made excuses when Daigo lost Evo 2011 using Yun, even though Ryu had been his character for the entire span of SF4 and SSF4.

Hungrybox's matches are amazing. Both Hungrybox v Armada sets are among my favorites, and that's only partially because of how upset the commentators were. Hungrybox is my favorite smash player actually, lol.

Never been huge on the competitive scene of Smash Bros., I could care less if I can't L-cancel, I leave my uber-competitive side for Pokemon. Besides, if no one else I play with in real life even uses those techniques, I find them pretty stupid for me to use them anyways.

Anyways, my ratings on the games themselves:
N64- Although it's enjoyable with friends, I can't get my feet behind the ragdoll physics and how restrictive it feels controlwise compared to the sequels. Favorite fighter is Luigi, everyone else either feels broken or just stupid to use (like Link).

Melee- Extremely fast, even too much for my tastes. Since this is the one that is the most competitive in the series, I usually stay away, but it has its merits despite having half the roster feeling exactly the same as the other half. Despite this, Luigi is still my main because he still has enough uniqueness to separate him from Mario and Dr. Mario. Jigglypuff is another one of my favs because she's just so fun to use, but I know the competitive community will be all over my ass because they all use Fox/Falco, Marth, or Shiek.

Brawl- My favorite in the series, because the pacing and feel of the battles have been drawn out well, and the emphasis on aerial combat is definitely a plus for me. The characters finally all feel fun to play with, and despite Meta-Knight's presence, there is a nice sense of balance that makes me feel the most comfortable with. Favorites are Luigi (again) and R.O.B., who most people don't expect but he's got fantastic standard juggling moves and aerial combat.

@Umbreon, Mango is by far the smartest player right now. It's not even close. The man revolutionized spacing. He's been doing retreating aerials since 2008, and it took 4 YEARS for everyone to realize how good it is. Mango is brilliant.

@Blak, I feel like Armada is the best player because he WHOOPED Mango. This is excluding the fact that Armada plays PEACH, an incredible difficult character to play. Now, onto the puff subject. As a community, we havent seen Mango play Puff since Pound 4. There's no way to say that his Puff is still his best character. On a good day, his Fox is his best character, but he has to be playing really well. Otherwise, his Falco is his best. I'm not gonna say that Mango is the best player in the world until he proves it. If he wins EVO, then I'll change my mind. Now, lets talk about Hungrybox. Whether or not you think his style is "gay" or not, he's an incredible player. He plays super intelligently, and to be honest, he doesnt really play gay. he only uses bair because its jigg's best move by far, so why not use it? Also, everyone camps vs him, so he's forced to back air, because Jiggs cant approach. In G1, Armada approached Mango, so Mango could use things like retreating nairs and things of that nature. When Armada plays Hungrybox, he camps. This means that HungryBox can only use Bairs and Pounds to attempt to approach armada

@Umbreon, Mango is by far the smartest player right now. It's not even close. The man revolutionized spacing. He's been doing retreating aerials since 2008, and it took 4 YEARS for everyone to realize how good it is. Mango is brilliant.

@Blak, I feel like Armada is the best player because he WHOOPED Mango. This is excluding the fact that Armada plays PEACH, an incredible difficult character to play. Now, onto the puff subject. As a community, we havent seen Mango play Puff since Pound 4. There's no way to say that his Puff is still his best character. On a good day, his Fox is his best character, but he has to be playing really well. Otherwise, his Falco is his best. I'm not gonna say that Mango is the best player in the world until he proves it. If he wins EVO, then I'll change my mind. Now, lets talk about Hungrybox. Whether or not you think his style is "gay" or not, he's an incredible player. He plays super intelligently, and to be honest, he doesnt really play gay. he only uses bair because its jigg's best move by far, so why not use it? Also, everyone camps vs him, so he's forced to back air, because Jiggs cant approach. In G1, Armada approached Mango, so Mango could use things like retreating nairs and things of that nature. When Armada plays Hungrybox, he camps. This means that HungryBox can only use Bairs and Pounds to attempt to approach armada
This man knows his stuff :)

since pokemon sucks i've been trying to learn how to melee better with c. falcon, atm i still get 2-stocked at best by my friend's somewhat decent (for amateurs) ganondorf because i can't escape stupid combos like u-throw side b d-air tech chase + whatever aerial so every time he touches me it's like auto 70% =/

still trying to learn how to shffl reliably, remember to tech and l-cancel every time, and just overall control and combo instinct i guess.
Try to DI.. but yeah I guess you already know that so try to mix up your get up options then, if he keeps tech chasing you with d-air, it means that he saw some habits that you had, maybe you keep getting up in the same direction? For the u-throw situation, try to either tech on place or mindgame him by mixing up by either DIing on the right or the left..

Has anyone seen Hbox's pocket Ness in action? I'ver heard about it but no amount of searching has yielded any results for me.

Has anyone seen Hbox's pocket Ness in action? I'ver heard about it but no amount of searching has yielded any results for me.
Not really... Well he did mention having a pocket sheik and when he took it out in action it was the most awful thing I ever saw.. I'll just ask around some pros if he does have one haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)