Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
About Sap Sipper, the distribution is just horrible. They might be seen more if Lilligant becomes top Quiver Dancer, but there is:
Deerling, Marill, Azurill, Blitzle- lol
Sawsbuck- Currently UU, but it will come down soon. Without Drought though, I'm not sure how much of an impact it will make
Bouffalant- Just not used a lot
Azumarill- UU, and will stay that way
Girafarig, Stantler- Yea... We'll see a TON of those -.-
Miltank- Ok, that one's actually good
Zebstrika- Unreleased, so until it is released it really can't be considered a threat. (I can see it working now that I thought about it)

So we're stuck with:
Bouffalant and Miltank.

And Bouffalant is iffy. Sure, its got nice defenses, but Lilligant carry other moves besides Grass type moves. And its just easy to deal with and play around if your opponent has one.
Bonus points to Blitzle for being both lol (45/32/32 defenses FTW) and unreleased.

Anyway, what about Unaware Clefable as at least a check to Lilligant? I know Magic Guard is better in general, but, after something else falls asleep, with unaware it can just ignore any boosts and, though losing Softboiled, still has Moonlight for reasonably reliable recovery since there's nowhere near as much weather as in the higher tiers. Out of curiosity, how much does Lilligant's Petal Dance do to something with 95/90 special bulk?

And Bouffalant is iffy. Sure, its got nice defenses, but Lilligant carry other moves besides Grass type moves. And its just easy to deal with and play around if your opponent has one.
Isn't her only other real option Hidden Power?
I mean you could say the same to any other thing you send in against Lilligant. "Sure it resists/absorbs grass moves but it has HP[whatever]"

Anyway, what about Unaware Clefable as at least a check to Lilligant? I know Magic Guard is better in general, but, after something else falls asleep, with unaware it can just ignore any boosts and, though losing Softboiled, still has Moonlight for reasonably reliable recovery since there's nowhere near as much weather as in the higher tiers. Out of curiosity, how much does Lilligant's Petal Dance do to something with 95/90 special bulk?
Modest max sp. atk Lilligant does 38-44% to Calm max HP/ max Sp. Def Clefable. Its a 2 or 3HKO with Rocks, and definitely a 3HKO without. Unless you're carrying Flamethrower on Clefable and Rapid Spin on something else, it can still go through it. And you can't stall out the Petal Dance with Moonlight either, Own Tempo's a bitch.

how do you guys feel about mandibuzz? it has the same special bulk as lickilicky, better physical bulk, can hurt yanmega with stab brave bird, has a better phazing move in whirlwind because it breaks subs, and it resist grass type attacks. I'm running this set

Mandibuzz @ leftovers

252 hp 252 spd 4 def (i dont know of any base 80 speed mons i would need the one stat point for)

roost
whirlwind
bravebird
toxic.

is there something im missing?

If only I know WHY Mandibuzz isn't used more... It doesn't fit my playstyle, but it is pretty bad-ass, both in design and as a wall. Can someone fill me in?

It may have only 65 base Attack, but who cares? Its made to be a Toxic staller. Sure, it'd be better if it got SToss/Night Shade, but oh well. BB still hurts.

If only I know WHY Mandibuzz isn't used more... It doesn't fit my playstyle, but it is pretty bad-ass, both in design and as a wall. Can someone fill me in?
My guess is competition with Honchkrow and Murkrow, since it shares typing with both of them. I use it all the time personally. I love stall (my favorite mon used to be Shuckle), and it won me over when it stalled out five members of an (admittedly not that good) OU team for about 40-50 turns a few months back as my last mon before finally falling... while paralyzed.

I've found SD Shiftry to be a really dangerous sweeper.

Shiftry@Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Seed Bomb
Low Kick

This set does pretty well in this metagame. It's capable of setting up on Blastoise, Claydol, Normal-type walls, and fast mons who fear Sucker Punch. +2 Sucker Punch destroys Yanmega and Sharpedo, so you don't have to worry about them revenging you with +1 speed. After Stealth Rock, Entei will die to either Sucker Punch or Low Kick, so if you predict correctly you can kill it. Even without Stealth Rock, Entei will usually die to +2 Sucker Punch, which goes to show how strong Shiftry's priority is. Seed Bomb, on the other hand, is great for killing physically defensive mons like Blastoise, Claydol, and Rhyperior. Low Kick deals with Steels and some fat Normals.

Fast substitute is a bitch, especially on Flying-types. Bulky Grass-types and Bulky Fire-types also wall you.

Early Bird is probably less situational than Chlorophyll, and it means you will almost always wake up in 1 or 2 turns. I've killed a lot of Venomoth who Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance expecting a switch, then die to Sucker Punch when they realize I am staying in and try to attack. It's probably better to just switch to something that deals with Veno, though.

I've found SD Shiftry to be a really dangerous sweeper.

Shiftry@Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Seed Bomb
Low Kick

This set does pretty well in this metagame. It's capable of setting up on Blastoise, Claydol, Normal-type walls, and fast mons who fear Sucker Punch. +2 Sucker Punch destroys Yanmega and Sharpedo, so you don't have to worry about them revenging you with +1 speed. After Stealth Rock, Entei will die to either Sucker Punch or Low Kick, so if you predict correctly you can kill it. Even without Stealth Rock, Entei will usually die to +2 Sucker Punch, which goes to show how strong Shiftry's priority is. Seed Bomb, on the other hand, is great for killing physically defensive mons like Blastoise, Claydol, and Rhyperior. Low Kick deals with Steels and some fat Normals.

Fast substitute is a bitch, especially on Flying-types. Bulky Grass-types and Bulky Fire-types also wall you.

Early Bird is probably less situational than Chlorophyll, and it means you will almost always wake up in 1 or 2 turns. I've killed a lot of Venomoth who Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance expecting a switch, then die to Sucker Punch when they realize I am staying in and try to attack. It's probably better to just switch to something that deals with Veno, though.
Are you oodles on the ladder? Your Shiftry didn't do too well against me, because it fails to do any damage at all really to Tangela.

However, your Uxie and Golurk are what gave me issues (assuming you are indeed oodles)

Cresselia used Ice Beam!

Mandibuzz used Toxic!

Cresselia used Psycho Shift!

Also, Sap Sipper Miltank... I dunno, it's quite a tossup between that, and Thick Fat...
Do I smell a stall war here? Sounds like it.
Anyways, surprised to see Krookodile in RU, considering it did so well in UU, but oh well.
I would love to see how Miltank and Krook fare in this tier, since Miltank's curse set helped me out a bunch during 4th gen UU.

After Stealth Rock, Entei will die to either Sucker Punch or Low Kick, so if you predict correctly you can kill it.
ExtremeSpeed makes Sucker Punch useless, so the prediction is your only weapon against it. CB Entei does 62-73% with ExtremeSpeed, as well as making Sucker Punch useless, making it easy for them to kill you. The fact that you have Life Orb makes it even easier for him to kill you.

yea you're right about mandibuzz hating toxic, but that's what heal bell support is for! speaking of which: is there any merit to running sap sipper on physically defensive miltank? i've been running thick fat for entei and emboar

yea you're right about mandibuzz hating toxic, but that's what heal bell support is for! speaking of which: is there any merit to running sap sipper on physically defensive miltank? i've been running thick fat for entei and emboar
Until Yanmega is banned and Lilligant starts running rampent, not really. I don't see why Sap Sipper Miltanks are everywhere with Entei on a large percentage of teams.

Well, Sap Sipper allows you to come in safely on most Grass types and probably wall them too. The Fire resist from Thick Fat is pretty big though so it's up to you.

yanmega is really borken imo. Switching stuff in on this guy is really hard. If he carries tinted lens + specs he even kills off walls resisting his stabs and revenging yanmega is hard if he packs speed boost. I made a weird dusknoir set with restalk and rock slide just to counter yanmega (and sub roost moltres which is a paaaain). Cress can be a bitch if you dont pack a specific counter. I've found (most) cress to be setup fodder for crawdaunt. You can sub on whatever kind of status then DD up and hit hard with adaptability boosted crunch and waterfall/crabhammer. Switching in on t-wave/flame orb trick isnt too great though. Still it can use cress as setup fodder. Venomoth has rarely been a problem as scarf primeape does a good job at countering it. For some reason people do not predict the primeape switch in very often and go for sleep powder. Stone edge 0hkos after SR damage, even without SR frail venomoth variants can be ko'ed in one shot. Still tinted lens bug buzz (or even psychic) can hurt, especially after swithing in for a few times. Lilligant is also really powerful, hate to face that thing. Honchkrow and pory-z are also kinda overpowered. LO brave bird is just incredibly powerful. And now honchkrow can also run sub/roost moxie sets ... Pory-z also hits really hard and can still nasty plot on the switch and then sweep. SD grass gem/acrobatics flying gem unburden sceptile is also running around alot. It gets kinda good coverage and doesnt have to run max speed thanks to unburden which makes it harder to kill (it's still not too bulky).
I really hope there are gonna be suspect tests soon cause at least yanmega simply does not belong to this tier

How does Throh compare to Hariyama in this tier?

Hariyama: 144/120/60/40/60/50
Throh: 120/100/85/30/85/45

Both have good bulk
Both have Guts
Both have Phazing capabilities

how do you guys feel about mandibuzz? it has the same special bulk as lickilicky, better physical bulk, can hurt yanmega with stab brave bird, has a better phazing move in whirlwind because it breaks subs, and it resist grass type attacks. I'm running this set

Mandibuzz @ leftovers

252 hp 252 spd 4 def (i dont know of any base 80 speed mons i would need the one stat point for)

roost
whirlwind
bravebird
toxic.

is there something im missing?
lol Mandibuzz is 2HKOed by Specs Tinted Lens Bug Buzz, Ive destroyed people thinking they can switch in Mandibuzz to Yanmega. Mandibuzz is really not worth it. Of course, Yanmega is completely broken in this tier, as pretty much everything is 2HKOed by the SpecsLens version, but that´s why we have Suspect testing. Also, I am really liking Clefable in this tier. It can wall a number of things and on one occasion, my Clefable at full health survived a Scarf STAB Close Combat from Gallade, and I didn´t even have max/max investment O.o Clefable can wall Cresselia due to Magic Guard preventing damage from Status, and can cripple Cresselia without Rest with Toxic and shit. I´m also really liking Calm Mind Cofagrigus with max/max investment in defense. It allows it to take physical hits while boosting special stats with Calm Mind.

Clearly, Yanmega is the best sweeper of RU and it should go up to UU soon, because it's almost impossible stop it safely. It's really broken.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Actually Yanmega is decently easy to stop. Entei destroys most versions with CB E-Speed and Specs Yanmegas are outspeed by quite a few things. But I will concede that if Specs Yanmega is allowed a free hit on something, its almost a guaranteed kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)