Linoone

Linoone: Normal 78/ 70/ 61/ 50/ 61/100 Pickup/Gluttony/Quick Feet (Dream World)

Linoone, the biggest one trick pony in the world of pokemon is back in gen 5 with an ever so slight buff to extreme speed.

level up moves:
Linoone: Lv1: Switcheroo, Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Growl, Lv1: Tail Whip, Lv1: Headbutt, Lv5: Tail Whip, Lv9: Headbutt, Lv13: Sand-Attack, Lv17: Odor Sleuth, Lv23: Mud Sport, Lv29: Fury Swipes, Lv35: Covet, Lv41: [M516], Lv47: Slash, Lv53: Rest, Lv59: Belly Drum, Lv65: Fling

TM/HM moves
TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM56 - Fling, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength

Whatever it gained in gen 5 is pretty much irrelevant since it is not compatible with extreme speed, but ES now has a +2 priority

When talking about linoone there is only one set worth mentioning. This one:

linoone @ salac berry/silk scarf
gluttony
adamant
116 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 136 Spe
belly drum
extreme speed
seed bomb
return/shadow claw

After one turn linoone has the strongest priority in the game, period. A +6 linoone has 1048 attack and is one of 3 pokemon to get stab on extreme speed(the other two being togekiss and arcerus).

But it is also one of the highest risk pokemon in the game since it cannot effectively hit steel types, and is made of paper. Basically using linoone proves that you have cahojnes roughly the size of a basketball.

yeah, it's almost like we have a pokemon simulator so you don't have to worry about how difficult it is to get an ES linoone

yeah, it's almost like we have a pokemon simulator so you don't have to worry about how difficult it is to get an ES linoone
This made me laugh :D

But on topic, if Linoone loses Extremespeed, then he hasn't really got much going for him, sadly. he's kinda like Furret: Both are really awesome, both have insane movepools, but both just don't have the stats to utilise them effectively.

Setting legality issues aside, Belly Drum + Extremespeed will be its core set, but I don't see it leaving NU.

Gluttony is legal with Extremespeed. Zigzagoon could change abilities upon evolution, when transferred from Gen 3 to Gen 4.

Oh God Deja Vu, when people discussing that Gluttony + ES was 'illegal' in Gen IV. Anyway, Linoone didn't gain anything (except the added priority on ES). Its dream word ability is interesting, but not enough to lose STAB ES and Gluttony.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Linoone did gain something this gen, although implicitly. That thing is that Wobbuffet isn't uber, which means that he can actually set up Belly Drums pretty easily with some support, although he still has to be careful with Encore's big nerf.

I actually tried a team with Linoone + Wobbuffet. I was able to get Belly Drum up very easily depending on who I trapped with Wobbuffet. He could sweep a lot of the time thanks to no longer getting boned by priority as well. The only problem is that without Silk Scarf, a lot of Steels still survive his Return, especially Skarmory, who's a big prick to him. But if he doesn't run Salac Berry, he's totally screwed against stuff like Gengar and Shandera who are immune to his ExtremeSpeed.

Unless there's a tutor to allow Extremespeed on Linoones in the inevitable Gray version, I think we can see usage drop a hell of a lot save for older ones, similar to how we might carry over Houndooms. Only thing I notice is that the Extremespeed priority shift helps him IMMENSELY in dealing out blows against Mach Punch or other common priority save Scizor (Honestly, I doubt it's a KO against, and Linoone's going down.).

If there's no tutor or other way to get more Extremespeed Linoones, I think we can assume that it's going to fade into obscurity with Furret. It's too bad though.

The priority on e-speed wasn't even that great of a boost. It was already faster than pretty much every big priority abuser after a salac boost, so it would've outsped them anyways.

Heres a niche it got, its the fastest user of simple beam. Pair it up with a guy that likes simple in doubles/triples and off ya go

The common presence of scarf-Shandera makes this linoone that much easier to set up. get Shandera stuck using Shadow Ball, bring in Linoone and easily have your turn of set up.

Other than that I don't see anything special, and Nattorei is going to be a huge problem for him.

It does get switcheroo and decent speed.

The only other set worth mentioning is the double fling set with ambipom, where they fling Razor Fangs and Kings Rocks and pick up each others items. The FlingFang set.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Linoone has no business trying out support sets with the presence of Furret, Ghost-types, Psychics types, and other friends. People should just get Adamant/Jolly Linoone with Extremespeed and hope it gets Gluttony upon Generation IV transfer.

Linoone having a move to hit Steel- types is kind of a big plus, but I'm not sure about it in practicality.

MOSTLY, I feel like Linoone was nerfed this generation. Not directly, but as a result of one battle mechanic they decided to change.... PREVIEWING TEAMS before the battle starts.

Sure, knowing your opponent has a Linoone on their team is probably intimidating as hell and makes you play really cautious, making you "feel controlled"... but the most usefulness that Linoone had was that element of surprise, the ability to exploit that one moment in which he can become the scariest speedy machine gun he is with ES... Now thats never going to happen. Once your opponent sees your Linoone, s/he will not let it set up and it will be dead weight.

If I saw a Linoone on the team preview, and I had a shadow tag Shandera (scarfed), I would NOT use shadowball until I KNEW that Linoone was dead.

HOWEVER... As mentioned earlier by Bologo, Wobbuffet and other shadow tag pokemon DO raise the ability to be able to set up with Linoone.

I've got a jolly with gluttony(luck on evulution from brothers Zigzagoon) one, it seems that it doesn't hit hard enough :/ I guess adamant is kinda needed for it to work best.
Trick\switcheroo helps getting that one turn setup in, and I imagine a normal gem 6+ Extreemespeed hits VERY hard.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've got a jolly with gluttony(luck on evulution from brothers Zigzagoon) one, it seems that it doesn't hit hard enough :/ I guess adamant is kinda needed for it to work best.
Trick\switcheroo helps getting that one turn setup in, and I imagine a normal gem 6+ Extreemespeed hits VERY hard.
I get your premise, but Trick's been nerfed, too. The opponent is free to choose any move it wants after being tricked a Choice Item, which is why Scarf jirachi leads are flying everywhere.

Linoone @ Choice Scarf
gluttony
adamant
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 6 Hp
Belly Drum
Trick
Extremespeed
Seed Bomb

Basically the same as the other set, but it involves tricking a scarf onto them while they are setting up. If I remember correctly, if you trick an item onto them before they move, it negates their ability to choose a new move, giving you a free Belly Drum. Keep Gluttony incase the item you receive from the trick is a berry. This set does require some degree of prediction to be able to predict if they are going to try set up.

Kind of gimmicky to be quite honest, though it can pay off.

It does get switcheroo and decent speed.

The only other set worth mentioning is the double fling set with ambipom, where they fling Razor Fangs and Kings Rocks and pick up each others items. The FlingFang set.
Does that actually work for 100% flinch chance?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
with Extreme Speeds Buff (and the fact that he out speed every priority user any way ) couldn`t it just run Max HP and maybe a defense boosting berry to maybe survive a hit, because the Spe EVs and Speed Boosting berry are pretty much useless since you will be mainly spamming Extreme Speed anyway.

He could be cool with some Wobbuffet/Magneton support in the lower tiers when the pinch berries get released.

Technically it isn't the strongest priority in the game, but whatever.

Sitrus berry can also work on this set for immediate recovery with Gluttony, but it's really the same thing from DPP except ExtremeSpeed is even better

linoone @ Choice Band
gluttony
adamant
252 Atk /252 speed/4 hp (or some combination of bulk if you feel you're going the extremespeed everything strat)

moves
switcheroo
extreme speed
seed bomb
retaliate/shadow claw

it's something lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)