Pickup

I know this ability is not particularly important competitively speaking, but there are two little interesting factoids I learned about it recently that are different as of Black and White, one which is a new in-battle effect, and one regarding the old out-of-battle effect.

First, in battle, if the Pickup user does not have an item, it will be able to "pick up" an item that the opponent consumes, like Berries and possibly Gems (not sure of the latter). So basically, the opponent uses the item up, then the Pickup ability user recycles it so that it can be used again. Has anyone tested how this works in Doubles/Triples with allies?

Second, outside battle, I believe the 10% pickup chance after battle may be slightly LOWER now than everybody thinks. This is purely from my own testing. I used a full team of 6 pickup users, went through about 100 wild battles on 3 different occasions, making sure to check for items after each one. So if the 10% rule still applies, you would expect to receive about 3 items for every 5 battles (3:5 ratio). Long story short, I ended up with an average of about 48 items after 100 battles, which corresponds to about 8% pickup chance for 1 pokemon, not 10%. Not a big deal, unless you're like me and trying to harvest Rare Candies as fast as possible!

The only reason I mention the second thing is because every site I encountered still has the "10%", which is misleading in my opinion. If it were an underestimate, I wouldn't care at all. But it appears to be, in fact, an overestimate. What do you all think?

Well, if you have 6 pickup users, you would actually have around a .53 chance of getting no items if there is a .9 chance of getting nothing with each user, so getting 48 items isn't too bad.

I think in this case, the odds would be additive, since each user has .1 chance, so that's a .6 chance for six users.

I think in this case, the odds would be additive, since each user has .1 chance, so that's a .6 chance for six users.
Since each user's ability it independent of the others', you would find the probability using .9^6=.53

If odds were additive like you're saying, it would be possible to break a probability of 1, if it were possible to have more than 10 pokemon in a party. It also wouldn't account for the possibility of finding more than one item.

I get what you're saying. I guess I was thinking about it the wrong way. So in that case, the number you got is the odds of nobody getting an item. What would be the way of calculating whether at least one pokemon gets an item?

I get what you're saying. I guess I was thinking about it the wrong way. So in that case, the number you got is the odds of nobody getting an item. What would be the way of calculating whether at least one pokemon gets an item?
Subtract it from 1. So you get .47, meaning that you got one more than the average amount you'd expect.

Just remember that the odds of getting Leftovers in a 6 eligible pick up team is about 1/200 battles. 1-((.1 to pick it up * .01 for it to be lefties)^6pokes in party) Or you can be me and apparently only find prism scales... I'm up to 6 Prisms 0 Lefties ;-;

Subtract it from 1. So you get .47, meaning that you got one more than the average amount you'd expect.
Hmm... that does match up pretty well, and makes a bit more sense than all the websites being wrong. XD

I thought I was pretty good at stats. I'm still trying to figure out why doing the calculation that way makes intuitive sense. Subtracting the odds of no item from the total = odds of one item? Sorry to turn this into a math thread, haha.

Just remember that the odds of getting Leftovers in a 6 eligible pick up team is about 1/200 battles. 1-((.1 to pick it up * .01 for it to be lefties)^6pokes in party) Or you can be me and apparently only find prism scales... I'm up to 6 Prisms 0 Lefties ;-;
Or you could just trade for Leftovers easily.

Second, outside battle, I believe the 10% pickup chance after battle may be slightly LOWER now than everybody thinks. This is purely from my own testing. I used a full team of 6 pickup users, went through about 100 wild battles on 3 different occasions, making sure to check for items after each one. So if the 10% rule still applies, you would expect to receive about 3 items for every 5 battles (3:5 ratio). Long story short, I ended up with an average of about 48 items after 100 battles, which corresponds to about 8% pickup chance for 1 pokemon, not 10%. Not a big deal, unless you're like me and trying to harvest Rare Candies as fast as possible!

The only reason I mention the second thing is because every site I encountered still has the "10%", which is misleading in my opinion. If it were an underestimate, I wouldn't care at all. But it appears to be, in fact, an overestimate. What do you all think?
Eureka! Joint probability formula, found it:
P(A Ú B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A · B)

One of the only instances in Pokemon I have ever had need of it, no wonder I forgot about it. So the probability I was thinking of should be not .6 per battle, but .47 per battle. My mistake! So the 10% rule still does apply.

Eureka! Joint probability formula, found it:
P(A Ú B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A · B)

One of the only instances in Pokemon I have ever had need of it, no wonder I forgot about it. So the probability I was thinking of should be not .6 per battle, but .47 per battle. My mistake! So the 10% rule still does apply.

I actually just learned that formula in my 9th grade math class lol.

To be a bit clearer it should look like

P(A)+P(B)-P(A and B) = Probability
Meaning: Probability of A added to the probability of B minus the probability of A and B together. And once you do that you find the probability.

Sorry for this minor thing but the equation looks bad with the font tags. I also gave a meaning to show exactly what it meant.

I found a battle video that has the pickup ability in effect. Here it is:

25-08496-59312

From what it looked like, in doubles you'll be able to pick up your allie's used item.

I heard somebody talking about a Linoone/Ampibom combo in Doubles, where they hold Kings Rock and Razor Claw, and both use Fling. Since they both have Pickup, they pick up the KR/RC, and both of the opponents flinch (assuming you hit them both, and you're both faster). It seems to be a somewhat gimmicky, but devastating strategy.

Or even a Pickup user in doubles paired with a Harvest-using eggy or tropius? Free lum berrys, belly drum rest with ease? I dunno, just theorymonning here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)