Unbreakable: A Rain RMT: Updated with suggestions!

Hey guys! This is going to be my 3rd RMT for a rain team. I just feel that it needs some touching up, even though i've ranked pretty high with it as well. I peaked at 1472 on PO server, and i intend to try and get back up there. I wanted to make a team with a SubSplit gengar, and i was really interested in trying out a banded Azumarill, considering the amazing power that he gets when he's banded. These two pokemon thrive in rain, being that there is no residual damage for Gengar, and that Azumarill's Aqua Jet's are powered up even more than just the Huge Power, Band, and STAB boost. I knew that for Politoed, i would want it to be Specs, because Gengar helps weaken pokemon, while his health remains similar to what it was, due to painsplit, leaving Azumarill and Politoed to sweep easier when their threats have been taken out, or are at critical health. After that, i needed two walls, so i opted for two steels. My first two walls that i chose were Ferrothorn and Jirachi, which quickly changed to Ferrothorn and Bronzong, because i had a big Excadrill weakness. My last poke was a wish passing Latias, which was soon taken out for Nasty Plot Thundurus, because my team was walled Easily by Jellicent without Ferrothorn and Gengar. After having this team up on this thread for a week or so, i've had a lot of help, like replacing Azumarill with a Spinner Starmie, and switching up some sets. Without farther ado, here's my team:

changes in BOLD

Politoed (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 220 HP / 252 SAtk / 36 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song

I decided to use Specs Toed over the Supportoed that i cherished in my other rain teams because i never knew how good it was! Specs toed is honestly a wonderful sweeper in the rain. It gets a Max SpA STAB Hydro Pump, with the Specs boost, in the rain, which blows holes through everything! Focus Blast, Ice Beam, and HP Grass are there just for coverage, or if HPump runs out of PP, because HPump is my go to move with Toed. I had Perish Song over HP Grass before, but when i realized my Jellicent and Water + Ground poke weaknesses, i decided to put HP Grass in. Specs toed also does a major amount of damage to your average TTar, doing well over half in the Sandstorm. As you can see, SpecsToed is an amazing poke, and should not be overlooked on my team. I decided to put Perish Song over HP Grass because it helps break up Baton Pass combos, or pokes from setting up. The different EVs are for what Iconic suggested, because i dont outspeed anything notable with a modest nature.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is my mixed wall, getting 330 in both defense stats with this new set, and a 350 HP Stat. Ferrothorn helps cripple my opponent's team so that my Specs Toed have an easier time to sweep. Ferrothorn also provides recovery for most of my team through the use of Leech Seed. I have spikes for Entry Hazards, since my Bronzong carries Stealth Rocks. Power Whip is for an attacking move, and STAB, along with the fact that i do not want to be Taunt-Bait. Ferrothorn also only takes x2 damage from fire in the rain, and only takes x2 from fighting also, which are both covered from my other team mates. Ferrothorn is an awesome addition to my team, and is really valuable to the rest of my pokemon team.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Bronzong sets up rocks, and is my counter to Excadrill and sand teams. The spread gives him equal defense stats at 300, and max HP at the same time. I have Gyroball for STAB, and to hit fast pokemon hard. Earthquake is for coverage, and HP Ice is for the common Gliscor, and many Dragon types. Not much else to really say about Bronzong.

Starmie (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EV's: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Starmie was recommended to me by Eternal when my team didnt have a spinner, and was easily beaten by stall teams. Starmie replaced my Azumarill because Starmie is a very effective revenge killer in the rain with a STAB Hydro Pump and a strong Thunder, which get boosted in someway by the rain. He also doesnt need to get locked in a move like Azumarill had to, and he could rapid spin Hazards away. Starmie is also a status absorber, by absorbing status, such as Toxic from TSpikes, and spin them away, and when he switches out, Natural Cure heals him! An amazing pokemon in every way that you want to use him!

Terrakion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EV's: 4 HP, Atk, 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Terrakion is the newest member of my team after a while of testing. I placed him over Jirachi after i tried two other fighting types in his place, Mienshao and Toxicroak. The reason why i like Terrakion more than Mienshao and Toxicroak is that Terrakion is a faster scarfer, being able to outspeed Deoxys-S. The main Reason why i have Terrakion is his Stone Edge STAB to hit the genies and non bulky volcarona, which are big weakness's to my team without Starmie functional. The set is the standard choice scarf set, and works really well with my team.

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gengar, the pokemon that i wanted to use in a team. He is honestly an amazing pokemon, with an amazing set. If you have ever tried it, than you know what i mean. He can stall out special walls that give Specs Toed and Thundurus problems. He also helps take out Tyranitar, one of the pokemon that start a weather war with this team. Pain Split is what the whole set is based around, and really helps stall out common special walls like Blissey and chansey. Substitute is so that i can lower the opponents HP even more with Pain Split, and lets me do some damage before i am forced to split, if i predict a switch. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are for coverage.

POKEMON THAT USED TO BE IN MY TEAM BUT AREN'T ANYMORE:

Azumarill (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Azumarill is my main physical sweeper, and is also my revenge killer. Azumarill may not look like much of a pokemon just by looking at his stats. with only 196 attack with a neutral nature, he just isnt as good as he could be through most people's eyes. Throw on his ability HugePower though, and he becomes a whole new monster. Add a choice band and rain, and you have a pwning beast on your hands, hitting 654 attack. The EVs are the normal ones from the Analysys of Azumarill. Aqua Jet is here for Priority, so i can revenge kill, and for STAB. It is my go to move as well since Azumarill is really slow. Waterfall is my other STAB, that isnt priority. That is my goto move lategame, when the pokes are paralyzed from Ferrothorn. Superpower and Ice Punch are there for coverage. Azumarill honestly gets walled by Jellicent, so that is why Thundurus, Ferrothorn, and HP Grass Specs Toed are important.

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Thundurus is my backup sweeper, and is my check to Thundurus. He is using the common Nasty Plot set that most Thundurus run these days. I have Thunder for STAB, and, since i am in rain, there is no need to run Thunderbolt. Focus Blast is for coverage, and to hit Steels such as Magnezone and Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice is, again, used to hit Gliscor, and other dragons that resist Thunder and Focus Blast. Thundurus is really amazing, and helps my team out a lot.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 SpA
Sassy Nature (+Sdef, -Spe)
- Thunder
- Iron Head
-Wish
-Protect

Even though Jirachi was tested in my team, i find a need to put him on the team now. He provides wish support, and is a special wall. His only weakness is Ground, which is covered by Bronzong, who can do damage back with Gyro Ball or Earthquake,. Jirachi is really annoying, because he can really stall an opponent out with this ParaFlinch set, and can do more damage with a boosted Thunder. Iron Head is for the flinching, and all of this with Serene Grace really is good. Wish is so that Jirachi can get some recovery.

I see that paralysis is exteremely useful to your team. Therefore I reccomend you put Twave on thundurus instead of focus blast. (maybe put grass knot on him instead of HP ice to hit grounds, cuz you already have 3 ice moves on ur team) Also, I recommend running double screens instead of your offensive set on your bronzong, (but you can keep SR and EQ to kill excadrill I guess, and avoid being taunt bait) cuz if its not supporting you, or doing tons of damage, it shouldn't be on your team. especially if it's only taking advantage of weater for fire resist.

Good rain team, so just nitpicking. I think you'll be better off running 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe on Politoed, since there's very little reason to max out Special Attack on Modest Politoed. You fall just short of the 243 Speed benchmark, which is pretty much where everything you'd want to hit lies, like Gliscor, Rotom-W, bulky Base 100s like Jirachi, etc. You only really need a little Speed to make sure you beat Skarmory who invest in a bit or no Speed. Most Scizor run 0 Speed anyways so 20 Speed EVs will be enough to beat just about any that you see.

I think you can probably afford to cram Stealth Rock onto Ferrothorn, which will give you the option to replace Bronzong entirely. You can try Spikes / Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Power Whip, since unfortunately Leech Seed is illegal with both Spikes and Stealth Rock. I noticed that you used to use Jirachi over Bronzong, but did you try Bold Calm Mind Jirachi? It's pretty neat on rain teams, since you can spread paralysis nicely with Thunder and use Jirachi's bulk to set up on stuff like Tyranitar as long as you use Flash Cannon. Although this opens you up a lot to Excadrill, I think you're overstating your weakness to him. Tyranitar cannot switch in on anything on your team, since it either eats a Water-type STAB, Power Whip, Focus Blast, or even a boosted Flash Cannon from Jirachi. Even still you have Azumarill to beat Excadrill in a pinch, and when coupled with Spikes damage, it really shouldn't be a problem at all. Plus, you have two Ground immunities to play around with, making Jirachi's weakness to Ground-type attacks not too big of a deal.

Oh and you should run 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe on Azumarill to beat Blissey, since she's faster than Azumarill that don't invest in Speed.

Your team does have a very hard time coming in on Rotom-W, Jellicent, Gastrodon. Being able to easily burn your Ferrothorn will be very problematic. There is one very good option to fix this problem, Natural Cure Celebi. Though you would lose your ability to use Spikes (which isn't that necessary, only helpful).

Your team also has a very hard time against Thundurus, where you can only rely on Azumarill to revenge kill or Thundurus winning a Speed tie. With the following Celebi set, you can live a LO NP HP Ice from Thundurus and be able to Thunder Wave it so it's less of a threat if you've lost Azumarill to revenge kill.

Celebi @ Leftovers -- Natural Cure
Nature: Bold - EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 116 SpDef / 32 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Perish Song
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Perish Song is there as your only means of phazing.

This is a good team :)

Ehm bronzong seems the most replaceable member so I would stick stealth rock on ferro as iconic said and try out some other pokes.
In its place I would put in another attacking poke maybe a rotom-w who helps with the jellicent issues and is a beastly sweeper under the rain able to easily wreck the common jirachi gliscor cores on sand teams while breaking ttar and excadrill as well.
I would run thunder wave on it over wow if running the standard set as I find it works better on the common switch INS of the lati twins and virizion

Edit: if you are on po server I would sub in specs Kingdra for one of your sweepers as he is ridiculously good

Gl :)

Ehm bronzong seems the most replaceable member so I would stick stealth rock on ferro as iconic said and try out some other pokes.
In its place I would put in another attacking poke maybe a rotom-w who helps with the jellicent issues and is a beastly sweeper under the rain able to easily wreck the common jirachi gliscor cores on sand teams while breaking ttar and excadrill as well.
I would run thunder wave on it over wow if running the standard set as I find it works better on the common switch INS of the lati twins and virizion

Edit: if you are on po server I would sub in specs Kingdra for one of your sweepers as he is ridiculously good

Well losing Bronzong does make the team a lot more vulnerable to losing against DD sweepers, Gengar, Excadrill, HP Fire Latios, Landorus, and other sweepers. With Rain and Levitate, Bronzong gets no weaknesses. So Bronzong does have a great role in the team.

I see that paralysis is exteremely useful to your team. Therefore I reccomend you put Twave on thundurus instead of focus blast. (maybe put grass knot on him instead of HP ice to hit grounds, cuz you already have 3 ice moves on ur team) Also, I recommend running double screens instead of your offensive set on your bronzong, (but you can keep SR and EQ to kill excadrill I guess, and avoid being taunt bait) cuz if its not supporting you, or doing tons of damage, it shouldn't be on your team. especially if it's only taking advantage of weater for fire resist.
Good suggestion! I will replace TWave for HP Ice, for reasons why you stated to put on Grass Knot. I need the Focus Blast though to handle Ferrothorn, which i cannot really touch other than Thundurus and Azumarill, and Azumarill loses because of Iron Barbs, and no lefties or any form of recovery at all.

Good rain team, so just nitpicking. I think you'll be better off running 236 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe on Politoed, since there's very little reason to max out Special Attack on Modest Politoed. You fall just short of the 243 Speed benchmark, which is pretty much where everything you'd want to hit lies, like Gliscor, Rotom-W, bulky Base 100s like Jirachi, etc. You only really need a little Speed to make sure you beat Skarmory who invest in a bit or no Speed. Most Scizor run 0 Speed anyways so 20 Speed EVs will be enough to beat just about any that you see.

I think you can probably afford to cram Stealth Rock onto Ferrothorn, which will give you the option to replace Bronzong entirely. You can try Spikes / Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Power Whip, since unfortunately Leech Seed is illegal with both Spikes and Stealth Rock. I noticed that you used to use Jirachi over Bronzong, but did you try Bold Calm Mind Jirachi? It's pretty neat on rain teams, since you can spread paralysis nicely with Thunder and use Jirachi's bulk to set up on stuff like Tyranitar as long as you use Flash Cannon. Although this opens you up a lot to Excadrill, I think you're overstating your weakness to him. Tyranitar cannot switch in on anything on your team, since it either eats a Water-type STAB, Power Whip, Focus Blast, or even a boosted Flash Cannon from Jirachi. Even still you have Azumarill to beat Excadrill in a pinch, and when coupled with Spikes damage, it really shouldn't be a problem at all. Plus, you have two Ground immunities to play around with, making Jirachi's weakness to Ground-type attacks not too big of a deal.

Oh and you should run 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe on Azumarill to beat Blissey, since she's faster than Azumarill that don't invest in Speed.
I will definately change the sets to your sets, because i was just going by the OU Analysys, which helped me with these pokes and sets that i've never used before, so thank you for your help there. I will definately try putting stealth rocks in over Leech Seed, except now i have no form of recovery for any of my pokes other than lefties. Bold CM rachi is definately awesome :D. I used to use him in 4th gen. I will definately try him out when i get a chance.

Your team does have a very hard time coming in on Rotom-W, Jellicent, Gastrodon. Being able to easily burn your Ferrothorn will be very problematic. There is one very good option to fix this problem, Natural Cure Celebi. Though you would lose your ability to use Spikes (which isn't that necessary, only helpful).

Your team also has a very hard time against Thundurus, where you can only rely on Azumarill to revenge kill or Thundurus winning a Speed tie. With the following Celebi set, you can live a LO NP HP Ice from Thundurus and be able to Thunder Wave it so it's less of a threat if you've lost Azumarill to revenge kill.

Nature: Bold - EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 116 SpDef / 32 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Perish Song
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Perish Song is there as your only means of phazing.

If you read Iconic's post, he said that i should replace Bronzong with Rachi, and put SR onto Ferro. Do you think it would be better to put Celebi on where Bronzong would be??? All of his weakness' would be covered by my teamates minus Bug, which is only covered by the Frail Gengar, which will still allow me to have my spikes and SR to help against Excadrill, and i have a solid counter against Thundurus barring a crit. I will experiment more tommorow, but i think that this is what i am going to stick with.

Jellicent isnt as big of a threat right now, due to the fact that i have Thundurus, Ferro, Gengar, and more than likely, Celebi. I also want more of a wall pokemon to replace Bronzong, due to the fact that Ferrothorn would be my only defensive poke, who wouldnt last long without recovery from Leech Seed, which will be taken away if i take out zong and stick in stealth rocks, so more of a wallish pokemon such as Celebi would be more beneficial here. I also do not want to be an SS noob, and this team is for Smogon OU rules, which is why i posted the team here in the first place lol :]

Well losing Bronzong does make the team a lot more vulnerable to losing against DD sweepers, Gengar, Excadrill, HP Fire Latios, Landorus, and other sweepers. With Rain and Levitate, Bronzong gets no weaknesses. So Bronzong does have a great role in the team.
I agree, which is why i do not know if i should replace Zong with the Celebi you suggested. The only thing that Zong doesnt have is reliable recovery, which i hope he gets in the 6th gen :]

Thanks for all of the comments guys! I will try to test tommorow, and the changes that i like, i will update the thread with, add an importable, and add a section to show what the team looked like before, the changes that were made, and what the team looks like now. Thanks again :]

I also see a big problem against entry hazards and how other stall teams can easily take advantage of this problem. I would suggest replacing Azumarill for Starmie. You use Azumarill mainly as a revenge killer against threats like opposing Thundurus, Tornadus, Gengar, Terrakion, and other common threats. But as it stands out, Starmie can also revenge kill these threats with its great base 115 Speed. Not only that, since there are only three common spin blockers in OU (Gengar, Jellicent, and Chandelure), the following Starmie set will be able to stop all three of them and viably spin away opposing hazards:

Starmie @ Life Orb -- Natural Cure
Nature: Timid - EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Now, if you want to use Celebi over Bronzong, then you would either have to give Ferrothorn or Celebi Stealth Rock. Since Ferrothorn is supporting you with Spikes, I suggest giving your Celebi the Stealth Rock. Now, without Bronzong, your team would be quite weak to DD Dragonite, so you would want to max out your defensive EVs. Use this set:

Nature: Bold - EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Recover

I also see a big problem against entry hazards and how other stall teams can easily take advantage of this problem. I would suggest replacing Azumarill for Starmie. You use Azumarill mainly as a revenge killer against threats like opposing Thundurus, Tornadus, Gengar, Terrakion, and other common threats. But as it stands out, Starmie can also revenge kill these threats with its great base 115 Speed. Not only that, since there are only three common spin blockers in OU (Gengar, Jellicent, and Chandelure), the following Starmie set will be able to stop all three of them and viably spin away opposing hazards:

Starmie @ Life Orb -- Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Now, if you want to use Celebi over Bronzong, then you would either have to give Ferrothorn or Celebi Stealth Rock. Since Ferrothorn is supporting you with Spikes, I suggest giving your Celebi the Stealth Rock. Now, without Bronzong, your team would be quite weak to DD Dragonite, so you would want to max out your defensive EVs. Use this set:

Nature: Bold - EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Recover
Thanks bro! I'll try these out, although to tell you the truth, Band Azumarill has really grown on me :D, but i guess thats the sacrifice in team building :D

I'm going away on a trip for about a month. Parents gave very short notice. I'll repost this RMT when i get back with all of the responses.

I'd recommend Thunder on gengar over pain split, and instead run leftovers...
Gengar is meant to be subsplit.

Turns out i get internet here, but i only brought my ipod, so i will not be able to update pics and stuff until i get back.

Anyway, i think i am going to put bronzong back up over defensive celebi, because of what eternal said was good about bronzong. I also am going to put HP ice back on Thundurus, since the only pokemon that would benefit from it is specs toed, although i feel it is still neccessary on Ferrothorn. During the couple matches that ive had using Starmie, i think i will keep him in over Azumarill.

The only problem here is that i only have 2 physical attackers, both of which are walls, so i get walled by Bliss and Chansey if Gengar is knocked out. Any suggestions here???

very solid team, but on ferrothorn if you go 8 defense and 248 sp def, instead of 4/252 you get one extra point in defense from nature rounding up, so both will hit 330 insted of 328/331

Thanks bro, that was just te first set i ever thought of for Ferro, and i stuck with it the whole time.

My tutor suggested Gliscor over Thundurus, and CM Rachi over zong. I havent tried CM eachi from Iconics suggestion, so i'm kind of anxious over the month i have to wait lol.

BUMP! Iguess my team is more balanced attacking wise now. I will try to update the sets and stuff, but no pics because i am on my ipod

Sorry for another bump, but Gengar isnt working for me. I want to replace himw ith something, but i dont know what. Can i please get help??? Thank you!

Well, I still see the pretty big weakness to Thundurus and your team could really love a Pokemon that can Rapid Spin. Why not try a Starmie? It can revenge kill fast threats and be able to to spin away hazards. It also abuses the rain with a 100% accuracy Thundur and a 50% boosted Hydro Pump. Wrecks a lot things. Here's the set:

Starmie @ Leftovers -- Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I'm recommending Leftovers over Life Orb so that Starmie can efficiently use Recover and be a better spinner. I don't think you would need any more power with the already boosted power from rain.

Lol you recommended the same thing before :D. It works well though.
Lol. Well, if you're looking for something else, then...

Replace Azumarill with Tentacruel. Tentacruel will allow you to spin awai hazards, let your team also set up Toxic Spikes, an additional entry hazard. Take advantage of the rain with a boosted Scald and advantage with Rain Dish recovery. Here's the set:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge -- Rain Dish
Nature: Bold - EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Protect

Now, you can replace the Gengar for a Thundurus counter that can also take advantage of the rain. How about Gastrodon? Here's the Gastrodon set:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers -- Storm Drain
Nature: Calm - EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

Earth Power over Ice Beam so you're not weak to Toxicroak. Besides, you already have the best counter to DD Dragonite/Salamence in the game with HP Ice Bronzong in the rain.

Try it out.

Okay, i'll try it. I think id need a spinblocker though with spikes, tspikes, and SR. I was thinkig Cofagrigus because hes a good counter to physical threats.

Sorry for another bump, but i updated my RMT with new threats and stuff.

Also looking for a new Bronzong set for more longitivity.

Wow...quadruple post...don't keep on bumping your thread. Instead, PM a Team Rater and ask them to rate your team. As you can see, bumping your thread doesn't help all that much. Also in the future, only bump once every two days or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)