Rarely Used (RU) Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good set for Torkoal:

Rapid Spin
Yawn
Lava Plume
Protect/Stealth Rock

Rapid Spin is obvious and should be the main reason for choosing Torkoal in the first place. Yawn is a great move to force switches and Lava Plume has a nice 30% Burn chance to aid Torkoal's defensive duties. Protect works great with Yawn to force a sleep on an opponent who decides to stay in and is a great scouting move in general. Stealth Rock is an option if you don't have any other SR setters.

The Shell Smash discussion was a joke and should not be taken seriously, it is not a good idea for Torkoal... I can't believe I'm saying this. Anyway, Torkoal works well as a support/annoyer although he isn't the most reliable spinner and lacks healing so you'll probably only get to pull it off once in a match but that could be all you need and sleeping and burning opponents is always appreciated by the team!

Actually, I've been looking over Hitmonchan as potential Rapid Spin support. As it turns out, Hitmonchan can run a set identical to Hitmontop, and while it has less defense and loses out on Intimidate and Technician, it is compensated somewhat with a higher attack and Iron Fist. Unlike Hitmontop, it also has access to elemental punches, and with the Iron Fist boost. As Mach Punch is rare in this tier, it shares a nice niche there as well. Unfortunately, when running the numbers, Hitmonchan still has some serious power issues, even with Iron Fist and max EVs, but hey, another rapid spinner option.

I mean, hell. Hitmontop can do everything rapid spin, but better, but Hitmontop isn't RU.

Anybody know the best set for torkoal? I know of the shell smash one and the support one. Which one is better used? Most of my team are physical attackers with the exception of sceptile so would the support one be better to use?
I have been using torkoal in a triple battle trick room + sheel smash, and it is pretty nice over there
and a lumineon or cradily storm drain is also a good partner for triple/double battle for torkoal, just create a new set by yourself

Ru stands for Rarely Used, making it similar to the NU that was used in 4th generation. Sadly this is not that case. Being That I have had roughly over 100 NU battles and maybe 30 or So RU battles, I can safely say this about the two; Though they have similar Pokémon, small changes have changed the tiers drastically. Pokémon that were in OU, BL, and UU in 4th gen are now in RU, only fueling the anger of NU players coming to RU. Some familiar faces like Ninetails, Politoed and Porygon2 have all been moved to OU due to the fact that almost everyone knows Gen 5 is based around weather which is why Ninetails’ Drought ability and Politoed’s Drizzle ability have become Part of the OU crowd. But what of Porygon2? His new ability does help him fit in the OU scene, but it is because of a certain item. This one item defines the RU tier in one simple word. Eviolite.
Until things have been completely resolved, people will be comparing the Gen 4’s NU to the Gen 5’s RU tier. As of now, there is no NU tier in Gen 5, but things are rather similar. Due to the fact that not every Pokémon has been completely sorted out yet (at least to Smogon’s standards); there are hundreds of Pokémon in the RU tier, many of which will probably fall into the NFE tier. But what Pokémon will be able to stand out enough to pass the NFE tier and fit into the RU/Possible NU tier. It will be those that can stand up to stronger, evolved Pokémon and still pack a punch. It is those who can use the Eviolite. For those who don’t know, I should explain.
The Eviolite stone is very similar to that of a choice item. It boosts stats, but at a cost. A choice item will boost one stat but allow one move of the Pokémon respectively. Until now there was no Item that did that for defense. What the Eviolite’s consequence is even though the Pokémon’s defense AND Sp. Def are multiplied by 1.5 that Pokémon must be un-evolved for the defensive boosts to activate. Obviously, not all un-evolved Pokémon will improve very much at all from these defensive boosts but some can. For example, Rhydon. Believe it or not, but Rhydon has a very extensive list of moves it can learn, From Counter to Surf, Rhydon has potential. He has base 120 defense and Base 105 HP. He can use Stealth Rocks for support, then fire off toxic to whittle down opposing team members. What separates him from Porygon2, another Pokémon that is commonly given the Eviolite is the ability to recover damage. Ferroseed is RU, but has access to Leech Seed and has been rumored to be on its way to UU. Dusclops (Who can use Pain Split to steal HP) was immediately put in UU. This is what separates RU Eviolite to UU/OU Eviolite Pokémon. Sadly this is the main thing of RU. Stall power.

Due to the fact that the dust has not completely settled, the RU tier is massive, being the home of roughly more than 450 of the 649 Pokémon. The rest are in LC, UU, OU, and Or Uber. Some new guys that have joined the RU have been causing quite a Commotion, such as Clefable, with a Massive move pool and the ability Magic guard and self recovery. Cresselia, boasting 120 Base HP and Defense and Base 130 Sp. Def to top it off with instant Recovery with Moonlight and increase its offense with Trick room. Lasty, one that I personally find interesting is Dusknoir. Dusknoir does have a lot of Moves that he can learn like Clefable, and he has base 135 Defenses, higher than Cresselia’s. Though he has no recovery outside of rest, he does have Base 100 Attack and can learn all the Elemental Punches (Fire, Ice, Thunder) and has access to Pain Split to deal damage and recover at the same time. Many fans of the RU tier dislike these 3 Pokémon, some with a passion. Mainly because they have become accustomed to seeing them in higher tiers, one in UU and 2 in OU. But these three “pests” are what the main ingredients of RU; Slow and painful battles.
The key components of an RU are as such: Bring 2-4 walls, perhaps a Cleric if you have less walls (due to 5th gen’s new “Wish” mechanics) One scarfed Pokémon , One entry Hazard Pokémon, and a Specs/Banded Pokémon with Max speed to clean up whats left. Not all RU Battles are like this, but from my experience, most of Gen 5 RU matches last roughly 22-30 minutes, while my Gen 4 NU matches lasted 15-20 minutes. If defense is your kind of thing, RU will be fine for you. There is a lot of creativity and Originality that can be done, but grab a drink and something read/watch, because RU matches are not for the hurried battler.

Hmm that seems like something that could fit in a guide. However, RU is more hyper offense then anything. Yeah there are a few insane walls there but there are so many heavy hitters and stat uppers that all the battles I've played are usually 10 minutes or less. Let's look at some of the top 15 RU Pokemon's role.

1. Yanmega- Hyper Offense. 2HKO's most things in the tier with it's specs set.
2. Cresselia- Supporter/Wall
3. Honchkrow- Hyper Offense
4. Sharpedo- Hyper Offense
5. Blastoise- Utility
6. Venomoth- Hyper Offense. Almost completely wrecks stall and defensive play because of it's quiver passing skills and sleep powder.
7. Porygon-Z- Hyper Offense
8. Entei Offensive/sometimes Defensive
9. Rhyperior Tank
10. Gallade- Stat Upper/Sweeper (Gallade's an awesome sweeper even with it's low speed)
11. Claydol- Utility
12. Alakazam- Hyper Offense/Stat Upper
13. Durant- Stat Upper/Sweeper
14. Moltres Offensive/sometimes Defensive
15. Electivire- Offensive

I think that's a lot more offensive presence then defensive looking at the top 15. Below that for the most part isn't that defensive anyways. (Also I consider hyper offense as a pokemon with really high attack/special and really good speed and has low defensive capabilities.) The amount of usable eviolite pokemon does contribute a bit to the defensive side though. (Okay there really isn't that many good eviolite pokemon in RU but that's not the point.)

(Also Clefable doesn't make THAT much of an impact in the tier. It's nothing amazing but it is very useful.)

I am trying to find something wrong with this. Other than the fact that you get walled by Water types, and Taunt Users can really annoy you (like you said), Quagsire holds the unique niche of being able to stop a set-up sweep. Just watch out for those energy balls, petal dances, and grass knots.

Unfortunately, it shouldn't be running Evolite, should it? It should be running Leftovers.
OOPS my bad, I just quickly copied and pasted Piloswine's set and just changed stuff around, i totally forgot to change evolite for leftovers.

@ DragonTamerChris

I Agree with most of your top 15, except for a couple of nitpicks

I've seen some defensive Gallades, running Bulk up, Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak and Substitute.

and I've personally seen more Defensive Pressure Stall Moltres then Offensive ones

Apart from that I pretty much agree to our list, although the face will RU will change relatively soon with Blastoise, Venemoth and Rhyperior moving to UU, if only the servers returned lol.

No, Clefable is downright BOSS in this tier. Survived ScarfGallade Close Combat with not even full investment in Defense. Magic Guard is pretty cool, being immune to Toxic, it beats Cress one on one unless its a resttalk variant. Also it can be ev'd to tank physical or special hits. Not to mention it gets instant recovery and Stealth Rock. Pretty awesome IMO.

No, Clefable is downright BOSS in this tier. Survived ScarfGallade Close Combat with not even full investment in Defense. Magic Guard is pretty cool, being immune to Toxic, it beats Cress one on one unless its a resttalk variant. Also it can be ev'd to tank physical or special hits. Not to mention it gets instant recovery and Stealth Rock. Pretty awesome IMO.
Impact and usefulness are two seperate things. For example, I believe that Eelektross is boss in this tier, as well as Golurk and Cofagurious. The impact, however, are moderately subdued with all of them.

And I agree, Clefable is just so flexible to use, and RU gives it quite a few chances to shine.

True Clefable is good, but if or when Chansey is banned from UU, Clefable will replace Chansey and we'll have to find some one else to replace her.

evolite clefariry :P kidding aside, I dunno who would replace clefable lol.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
True Clefable is good, but if or when Chansey is banned from UU, Clefable will replace Chansey and we'll have to find some one else to replace her.

evolite clefariry :P kidding aside, I dunno who would replace clefable lol.
In RU, Audino could be a good replacement, if Clefable would go up into UU.

Audino: 103/86/86 with Regenerator
Clefable: 95/73/90 with Magic Guard

Audino isn't that bad in comparison. Just a little slower. 50 against 60.

^
Audio sadly doesn't get softboiled like Clefable so unless your running wish protect, your better off using another pokemon to wall.

I think what made clefable unique was her immunity to Toxic, Fair defensive stats and good typing.

The closest thing I can think of as a replacement for immediate recovery wall would be something like Gastrodon, if you also want that immunity to Toxic then evolite Duosion, which is pretty bulky but the bug weakness is it's downfall.

I could use synthesis evolite Roselia although she's more about setting up those entry hazards and is immune to toxic but natural cure is nice.

I'm not too sure what a good move set is for tokoal but I always like the idea of teaching it Gyro Ball, Curse, Amnesia and any other psyhical attack

^ Tokoal is just plain outclassed in this tier, no reason to use him at all, but if you want to use him anyway, baton pass Shell smash from Gorybyss to him then use shell smash again with Tokoal and have like +4 attack, special-attack and speed lmao, I need to try double smash, it's probably over kill but it would be funny.

Honesty the only set I can think of is this

name: Flame Smash
move 1: Flame Charge
move 2: Shell Smash
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake
item: White Herb / Life Orb
ability: White Smoke
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Att / 4 HP / 252 Spe

Like I said, you're better off using other pokemon over torkoal in this tier or just wait for NU, but even in NU it's still probably outclassed, but if you want to use him anyway.

The point of having both flame charge and shell smash is the extra speed, torkoal desperately needs it being so slow at base 20 speed.

Switch into something you threaten and use Flame charge First, if you're still in a good position then use Shell smash, at which point you'll be at + 2attack, Special Attack and +3 Speed.

If your in a bad position, proceed to either attack or switch out.

If you've taken out all the fast pokemon on the opposing team and think Smash Torkoal can out speed your opponents team then use Shall Smash over flame charge first

and the famous Edge Quake coverage to hit almost everything for at least neutral damage.

After 1 flame charge this torkoal hits 228 and will out speed max EV Speed timid/jolly base 54 pokemon, although most base 54 pokemon don't invest in speed anyway, it will also out speed base 95 pokemon that do not invest in speed with neutral speed nature.

At +2 speed Torkoal hits 304 and outspeeds max Jolly Hitmonlee at base 87 speed, which menas torkaol losesto base 90 Speed or higher (not promising at all)

At +3 Torkoal hits 380 and outspeeds base jolly/timid base 120 pokemon (Eg Sceptile), loses to base 125 pokemon (Swellow)

But anyone letting torkoal get that fast probably need to practice. (I guess torkoal could do it if it got some support from batonpass speed boot eg - ninjask or quiver dance venemoth or pokemon that learn tailwind)

Well, maybe it is because i ran a offensive team, but i haven't seen games on RU last very long. Offensive threats are just HUGE on the tier.

Though kniteowl mentioned this it was not the focus of his post so I would like to bring up something that makes the stall-argument in the wall of text somewhat void:

Smash-passing exists.

I've been running:
Smeargle @ White Herb
Trait: Own Tempo
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Spore
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Baton Pass

Own Tempo has only ever some into play once but since he has no attacks Technician would be erroneous. My preferred recipients are SpecsYanmega (tinted lens, obviously who at +2 can OHKO everything but Eviolite Mantyke and the rare Audino with Bug Buzz) or LO Haunter if I'm afraid of priority. Regardless, there are a lot of notable Offensive threats that can perform at a level with those two.

The only noticeable difference between this and a Gorebyss set is Spore and Speed vs bulk. (Gorebyss can survive a mach punch or a Fake Out from techniTop making it differently useful).

Either way, I can't believe I don't see more of these two considering just how destructive smash passing is to every single team. Stall can at best try to phaze (or just haze I suppose) but even that isn't difficult to stop.

On a side note: While I understand that this is Suspect in UU that does not mean it will be directly affected here in RU as SmashPass is a strategy rather than a specific blanket-existence. Chances are it will be tested here and THEN banned from here once testing starts.

In my experience, Audino is actually pretty okay wish support, but is very good TR support. It's low speed is a boon in Trick Room, and regenerator + Wish support allows it to heal itself and another pokemon. Regenerator is an excellent ability, though I am not sure if it is as good as Magic Guard.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
On a side note: While I understand that this is Suspect in UU that does not mean it will be directly affected here in RU as SmashPass is a strategy rather than a specific blanket-existence. Chances are it will be tested here and THEN banned from here once testing starts.
It was banned in uu, that means it's banned in ru. same with wobbuffet.

With no Active Ru to play around with, I got bored and compared Mamoswine's and Piloswine's Bulk

Mamoswine = 110/80/60

Piloswine = 100/80/60

Interesting only a 10 point difference in HP, combined with Evolite would Piloswine be able to tank hits and hit back? The base 100 attack stat isn't bad either.

I was thinking of a possible Piloswine set

[SET]
name: Curse-swine
move 1: Curse
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
move 4: Earthquake
item: Evolite
ability: Snow Cloak
nature: Adamant / Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpD

After Evolite Piloswine's bulk becomes a nice 404/294/235, interesting that he can make 101 Hp subs to block Seismic toss.

Anyway onto the calculations, Note I'm using the Piloswine above after it's used 1 curse for my Calculations

Specs Modest Yanmega Bug Buzz vs Piloswine = 55.9% - 66.1%

Life Orb Naughty Honchkrow Heatwave vs Piloswine = 49% - 57.9%

Life Orb Naughty Honchkrow Superpower vs Piloswine = 54.5% - 64.4%

Life Orb Adamant Sharpedo Waterfall vs Piloswine = 54.5% - 64.4%

Life Orb Modest Sharpedo Surf vs Piloswine = 89.6% - 105.9%

Who here runs max SpA Sharpedo with Modest nature?

Choice Specs Adaptability Poygon-Z Tri-attack vs Piloswine = 73.8% - 87.1%

Tri attacks hits harder then HP-fighting when running Adaptability

Choice Band Entei Flare Blitz vs Piloswine = 88.1% - 104.5%

Piloswine would kill for Thick Fat, But Sadly there are no female thick fat Swinub yet so no curse and no Ice shard, yeah curse is a breeding move. Still impressive for taking a base 120 stab super effective move it's a definitely OHKO after rocks

Life Orb Adamant Gallade Close Combat vs Piloswine = 81.7% - 96.5%

Life Orb Jolly Gallade Close Combat vs Piloswine = 74.3% - 87.6%

Life Orb Jolly Gallade Shadow Sneak vs Piloswine = 9.2% - 10.9%

Gallade always 2HKO after Rocks because shadow Sneak is faster then Ice shard beacause of Gallade's speed.

Note: Piloswine can OHKO or 2HKO back with a combination of Stab move + ice Shard, except for gallade because of shadow sneak.

0 Evs in SpA and Neutral SpA nature Blastoise Scald vs Piloswine = 37.6% - 45%

No surprise here but Piloswine hates burns.

+1 Adamant Piloswine Earthqauke vs Max HP, Max Def Bold Blastoise = 44.8% - 53%

+1 Adamant Piloswine Earthqauke vs Max HP, 4 Def Blastoise (SpD Blastoise) = 61.6% - 72.9%

Who runs Physically Bulky Blastoise anyway? with Physical Walls like Tangela and Gligar and Alomomola is you want a bulky Water wall, but you never know.

No cresselia damage calculations needed, it walls everything in RU :(

Now let's see Piloswine hit some well known walls

+1 Adamant Piloswine Icicle Crash vs Max HP, Max Def Tangela = 50.3% - 59.3%

Icicle Spear maybe prefered here for multi-hits and the potential to break tangela's sub if it attempts to sub seed you or something.

Gligar calculations aren't need as he is OHKO thanks to 4x weakness to ice.

It looks more and more like the best Piloswine I can get would be to focus Piloswine tanking the physical side of the tier and spreading my Evs between HP, Att and Def, I guess Sp-def EVs might be help if I wanted to create a gimmicky set like say Curse rest talk, which is probably done better by the likes of Munchlax, Miltanks and Unaware Quagsire.

Ah well at least that was interesting.... was hoping to find a good anti-metagame pokemon in this tier.
I just tried out this set and I can say, it's beast. After a curse, ice shard will pack quite a punch and it will let you outspeed yanmega and other speedy defensively weak sweepers.

I tried Drapion out for a bit on a makeshift UU team as a toxic spike layer/absorber. Is Drapion tiered in UU or RU? And he has good stats to go physically defensive or offensive, so what would be suggested? And how to go about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)