Good Leads In UU

This is one of my first post and the whole site just seems so intimidating to me..So I'm not sure if im posting this in the appropriate area...But anyways...i was challenged to a UU match,and i cant think for the life of me what to lead with...help? Outside of the very predictable Zorark,i have no idea what else really leads there...

Well, with WIFI clause, i don't believe there is since of a good lead out there. If you're using some sort of rain / hail, sometimes it's good to lead with your weather starter so you can have the advantage early.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The lead metagame is all but dead in BW OU. Now that you can see your opponent's team and switch Pokemon around, your opponent will more than likely lead with the Pokemon your team appears weak to, or the perfect countermeasure to your dedicated lead. If you don't want to give up earlygame momentum, or get swept right from the get-go, you'll have to do the same. Instead, you should find yourself a reliable supporter to set up Stealth Rock, like Forretress or Ferrothorn, and dedicate the rest of your team slots to offensive and defensive synergy.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I swear to Gog if someone mentions ambipom I fill flip my shit. Agreeing with SJCrew although fast spikers like Roserade and Deoxys are decent all purpose leads (both OU and UU)

Edit:I'm doing a mother fucking pirouette off the deep end.

Venomoth is a good lead with Sleep Powder and Quiver Dance, allowing you to potentially sweep through half of your opponent's team

I really like anything that prevents your opponent from setting up. I usually lead with something like Crobat or Froslass.

Aerodactyl can work as a lead, seeing as he can usually set up Stealth Rock first with base 130 Speed, and prevent slower Pokes from setting up Stealth Rock (or any disrupting move in general) with Taunt. Azelf can do the same thing.

Uxie is a nice lead in UU with access to dual screens and Memento to start the momentum for SmashPass teams. It also has SR for all of your hazards needs.

Uxie is a nice lead in UU with access to dual screens and Memento to start the momentum for SmashPass teams. It also has SR for all of your hazards needs.
Lets not forget Mesprit, who can do the same things as uxie, but has healing wish so, wait never mind, its a lead so that will be useless. But It has higher attacking stats so It can cause damage and support, even though it has less bulk and speed.

I use an Uxie with 216 SpA EVs, which is essentially a more efficient version of a defensively EVed Mesprit. A levitating Psychic-type is perfect for laying SR in UU because you can kill both Hitmontop and Donphan quite easily, so most teams will have to get their spinner back in against something else if they want to keep rocks off the field. Great bulk and Thunder Wave can shut down most fast attackers who would try to gain early momentum.

A bulky hazard layer and a fast attacker can usually cover lead matchups pretty well; you lay hazards in most circumstances, but if you suspect their lead beats your hazard layer you can use your attacker to gain early momentum instead.

Cottonee can basically do what it's older brother does and actually fairly well.

It can set up Substitute and Leech Seed, and with Leftovers it can actually survive for a while. My Cottonee managed to take down a Zapdos and block someone's entire team.

It also has Taunt for any other leads, preventing them from setting up and can use Toxic to wear down it's enemies.

Don't forget the fact that Uxie can Trick a Scarf before it gets Taunted itself, while also being able to U-turn out, just in-case.

Lets not forget Mesprit, who can do the same things as uxie, but has healing wish so, wait never mind, its a lead so that will be useless. But It has higher attacking stats so It can cause damage and support, even though it has less bulk and speed.
Don't forget the fact that Mesprit is much slower than Uxie, and most leads want that extra bit of speed as push for success. Thus, Uxie is essentially a better lead.

I swear to Gog if someone mentions ambipom I fill flip my shit. Agreeing with SJCrew although fast spikers like Roserade and Deoxys are decent all purpose leads (both OU and UU)

Edit:I'm doing a mother fucking pirouette off the deep end.
I suggest Ambipom, because it can deal shit loads of damage with Normal gem Fake Out, followed by Acrobatics, or even LO Fake Out U-Turn.

Fake Out/ Last Resort is the only set worth mentioning for ambipom. I wish I was kidding.

Well there's always Crobat, since his taunt is fast as shit so he's a good anti lead, and Roserade can make for a good lead, since it's easy for her to set up spikes.

I was kidding him, but Ambipom can be dangerous if it catch someone not prepared for it.

My favorite lead/wall in UU is Deoxys-D.

I think with the advent of team preview, the best "leads" are now fast Pokemon with U-turn or bulky set-up Pokemon. Fast U-turning Pokemon can U-turn no matter who your opponent leads with to your counter (although to some extent it is beaten by slow U-turning Pokemon). Bulky set-up Pokemon can just put up SR / Spikes.

A short list would be:

Crobat - one of the fastest U-turn's out there.
Rotom formes - Volt Switch is similar to U-turn.
Scarf [insert Pokemon] - as long as it has U-turn or to a lesser extent Volt Switch.
Uxie - bulky, puts up SR, has a slow U-turn, etc.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm impartial to the 4th gen Machamp anti-lead. So far its served me well in OU and upon further inspection he is the LOWEST pokemon by usage in OU. This means that come next update, their is a good chance he'll drop down into UU.

I'm impartial to the 4th gen Machamp anti-lead. So far its served me well in OU and upon further inspection he is the LOWEST pokemon by usage in OU. This means that come next update, their is a good chance he'll drop down into UU.
That doesn't matter, read the title of the thread.

UU leads.... Not leads you wish/think/hope are going to be UU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)