the do you do music thread

hi all! i recently got a hold of a vintage '89 fender strat (named her sweet dee) and i decided that it would be fitting to learn stevie ray vaughan's pride and joy. i have a bit of a head cold today so while i was staying in i recorded what i'm working on, which i'll post below for those interested.

however i don't want this topic to just be about the music i'm doing! i know a lot of smogon users play instruments and i'd be interested in knowing what you play, your approach to the music you play, your influences, what you are working on, et cetera. if you have anything you'd like to share, post links! i'm sure i'm not the only person who would be interested.

i suppose i'll go first. i play the drums and guitar primarily. i started playing drums about 10 or so years ago for my church's worship band and i continued playing in various church bands until i was about 17. since then i've focused more on guitar -- i started out learning a lot of radiohead songs and jonny greenwood is definitely one of my biggest influences as far as guitar is concerned. steven malkmus and thurston moore/lee ranaldo from sonic youth are also big influences and people i try to emulate. recently i've been playing a lot more bluesy stuff along the lines of srv, hendrix and yes, a little bit of john mayer -- you can throw buddy guy in there for good measure as well. i haven't done anything serious with my guitar playing past recording a few things at home -- as far as guitar goes, i've only played one legitimate show which i kind of flubbed due to nerves.

here is a vid i took today of myself attempting pride and joy by none other than srv himself. i haven't gotten the whole song down yet so i fashioned an early ending.

here is a video of a riff from about two years ago that my dad added a second track to -- i think it's quite nice.

and here is another original riff -- more bluesy this time -- that i'm working out and figuring out lyrics for. a few bumps in this take but the idea gets through.

apologies for any wonky timing and/or missed notes -- i'm no stevie. for good measure, here is a blog a friend and i update very sporadically with music we might be working on -- you can stream some songs there. check it out if you're interested, we'd appreciate it!

thanks for reading and checking out the links if you did so.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've never liked vintage fenders. I can see the appeal in them, but not my thing.

As for the original point of the thread; being Oriental Asian, I was forced to learn violin from a young age. 10, to be exact. In those 7 years I've risen 8 grades, and currently hold a Merit in Grade 8. I don't plan on going any further.

I picked up the guitar... 3, maybe 4 years ago, now? I was coerced into joining a friend's band to play bass, which is supposedly "the easiest thing ever". It wasn't. I don't regret it though, because in the end I ended up playing guitar. which is also a bit harder. But I was a classically trained violinist, so it wasn't hard to pickup. Grade 7 Distinction.

I also teach myself piano but that doesn't go well.

In terms of real music, I've been asked many times to help out with a failing band, ever since my first band enjoyed decent success at our only two concerts. We broke up shortly to pursue our own goals, however (our bassist wanted to do music professionally, the drummer was moving to canada, I wanted to have a normal life).
I've never managed to do anything music-related for more than a year. Not too sure why, but I enjoy just playing by myself and practicing, just for what the music gives me.

very cool! i'm self-taught so i don't have any experience with formal lessons (save for a few lessons from another church drummer when i first started) but i'm consistently impressed with people who are classically trained in their instrument. violin is one of those instruments that, along with piano, i've really considered getting lessons for at some point.

i'm not familiar with the grade/merit system you mention. how and in what setting does one get graded? i assume reaching grades 7 and 8 takes effort and skill, so kudos for that.

what sort of music did your band(s) play? i've never been able to keep a band together for any significant amount of time but, like you, i'm content with practicing and playing alone for my own enjoyment -- having a loop station definitely helps with that though, haha.

and of course i have to ask: what's your ideal guitar?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Basically in the UK, you take an exam for music in which you are alone for 40ish mins with an examiner. You recite 3 prepared pieces appropriate to the skill level, then there is sight reading, music theory (scales and arpeggios), as well as other musicianship tests. At then you either get a pass, a commendation, a merit, or a distinction. It ranges from 1-8.

For the band, we basically did whatever we felt was easy enough.we started with Feeder, moved onto The Strokes, and halfway through Weezer we all lost interest. Of course, looking back now, we are trying to get together during holidays and start playing together again.

Currently what I have isn't so much a band as it is a lolmusic thing to pass the tine. One of my friends who is a pianist and drummer and I get together and play along to whatever japanese song comes up on his/my iPod. Occasionally we sing as well. Usually the stuff tends to be Vocaloid or anime-origins.

My ideal guitar is close to what I currently have. I've got a Gibson Japanese SG special (white with black trim), and for it to be perfect I'd've liked it to have a floating trem system, a sharper bridge pickup, and a thinner neck.

My brother and I are both very musical- we're twins so we both started piano at age 5 and quit shortly after middle school- I'm grateful I have that background, though, because its helped me with other instruments and has given me the foundation for most of my music theory knowledge. Our school music teacher convinced us to take violin and viola (I played violin) but I only did that for a couple of years before I sort of lost interest. My brother and I both decided to pick up some actually "cool" instruments (this was before I realized that I could really use a decent keyboardist and violinist but w/e), so I got a guitar and my brother decided to be a little hipster and picked up the mandolin. He also plays drums now, which is awesome because periodically we'll just jam out, him on drums and I on guitar. My primary axe is my Epiphone Dot Studio (basically a poor man's ES-335) which I love to pieces. I feel I should name it but I've never gotten around to it, although typing this up is making me want to pull up some baby names.

My brother and I like radically different music- we both like anime theme songs (lol) but literally about 80% of his iPod is The Who and the other 20% other classic rock, peppered with songs he got when he was 10 that he probably is embarrassed to admit he has. I like alt rock and things like the Smiths, Pearl Jam, Muse and stuff like that.

We barely ever record anything, but I'll see what we can do- I might edit this with some recordings. The previous one we did of Don't Say lazy was such shit (rock band microphone, neither of us willing to sing) that I really don't want to share it.

My mother gave me piano lessons for about two years, against my will. Now I'm really wishing I paid more attention. I'm 15 right now, but I'm graduating high school next year and am going to start/join a band... I'd like to be able to play piano at least semi-competently by then but like Zystral, it's self taught and doesn't end well.

I'm primarily a vocalist, but since I'm not sure this thread covers that... I'll leave it at that for now.

Same deal with the piano bit here; forced to learn, except I stopped years ago. Never got far, and I truly regret not sticking to it.

Besides that, if my voice counts as an instrument, then yeah, that. Not in a band (I'm uncool like that), but I'm told my voice is pretty good. Thinking about joining an acapella group next semester, because all of my friends have gotten on my case about not being in one, and they are relentless...

Crux

Banned deucer.
I currently play the cello. I played the piano for like 6 years but got bored... The cello is far more interesting though. I dont have any recordings to share but I mainly play classical music, although I have been in Rock bands in the past. I also sing.

damn evan, i'm impressed. i really like what i heard of heinous orca (basically the first half of cannon ball) -- i downloaded the album and i'm going to save the rest of it for until after i toke up. the mayors is high-quality stuff as well, albeit not exactly my cup of tea. i really like the songwriting in the tracks i listened to though -- you guys get a very full sound that reminds me of good baroque pop, if you don't mind me saying.

@team amon amarth: vocalists are definitely welcome here! i wish i were a better singer myself. plus your name references tolkien which means you can basically do whatever the hell you want in any of my threads.

Play trombone, play euphonium, keep meaning to record myself playing Morceau Symphonique, but oh well. Play Bass, never played in a band, and it's very very very casual I'm teaching myself piano.
I'm Grade 8 Merit at Trombone and I got that when I was 15, I'm going for my Grade 8 euphonium this february along with Grade 8 Singing around the same time.
My Fiancee's Mum was an Opera singer and is teaching me, and is going to work with me towards getting a Choral Scholarship into Cambridge University
As I said I'm self teaching Piano, but once I get good enough i.e. Grade 1 (haha) I'll maybe be satisfied with that and just try and learn songs, or since everybody in my Fiancee's family are talented pianists, with Her dad being a Concert Pianist, I may get lessons and try and progress further.

At the moment, I do small bits of classical composition, just the odd couple of melodies and Ideas here and their, occasionaly if I can be bothered, I'll add some harmony and other more intricate stuff, but inspiration comes in 10 minute bursts and only get realised if I'm near an instrument at the time. I'll probably compile a lot of it into something one day. I've just got a few arrangements under my belt now. My most recent being Take On Me by a-ha, which I'm really proud of.
If I manage to record something I'll post it, but it's an If rather than a When

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I play bass, play guitar, and sing a lot (if you can call it that). I mainly just play and record music (all instruments/vocals) on my own and play at church twice on Sundays and once on Wednesdays with the other musicians (which is good practice btw). I also play with a few friends. I guess you could call it a band. We're beginning to get a bit more serious, (working on recording 11 songs) but in reality it's just for fun. All the recordings and shows we've done so far have had little effort put into them. We all have jobs and families and responsibilities (except Adam, he's a noob). We play shows here and there at different churches and music festivals in the general area (within a few counties away). It's a lot of fun. We don't take ourselves too seriously though.

Gump (cover)
Veggietales (cover)
youtube

Oh haha I also still play the flute lollolol1ol1ol1o1l1ol. Started playing it back in elementary school band. Played it till Sophomore year when I switched to Tuba cuz we needed one in Marching Band. Played Tuba till I graduated (though I can still pick it up and play).

I minored in Music in college. My degree is in clarinet, but I also play a lot of other instruments, including sax (esp. tenor) and various brass. I was the euphonium as well as the tenor sax section leader in my college marching band (Vanderbilt). I can also play a bit of guitar and piano, but I am not great by any means. I worked part time as a band director at a small middle school for a while also. I did primarily brass studies there.

I have also done a bit of songwriting and arranging. GlassAbsol, if you would like me to take a look at anything, or to run any partwriting by me, I'd be happy to help out. If you want to send sheet music, I have Finale 2010.

I do not have recordings of any of my work being played, but I could host a MIDI of the score if anyone is interested.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
i play violin! i haven't played in over a month because i've been living in georgia and didn't want to bring my violin along with me for fear of its safety, but, i am itching to play once i get back home in a little over a week!

i haven't ever really recorded myself playing, mostly because i didn't have a great way of doing so besides a laptop that had too much feedback noise, but, i will try and record something soon and toss it in here. i've been playing classical violin since i was like tennish? eleven? was serious until i graduated high school and didn't have a group to play with 5 days a week anymore, but i still try and play as much as i can and stay motivated.

OTHERWISE, i dabble in piano and learn everything by ear, but i am far less serious about that, and usually just play MOST of the 3 songs i actually know, but i'll improve on that when i have the time and determination to do so.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yay a music thread

Alright, there was a point in time in high school when I thought I was going to major in music and become a band/music high school teacher. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I decided against it because, while my interest was and is still high, there was no way I would be able to dedicate more than a couple hours a week to playing any sort of instrument (most music majors play 6-8 hours a day 0.0).

Anyway, I started out as a trumpet player in middle school, but my teacher switched me to tuba because the other students sucked and my lips were too big for the trumpet (I could barely get past an upper scale D). I've been playing the tuba since and I love it. I was the section leader since my sophomore year of high school, both in marching and concert season. Not to toot my own horn, but my high school teacher told me that I was one of the most "gifted" tuba players that he had seen in years and the best the school has had in a long time (but in my hick town that's not saying much lol).

I still play tuba here in UW-Madison. I don't have the time to commit to the marching band, though that's still something I would like to do and I'm sad I don't have the time (or willingness, the practice sucks ~.~).

When I was really into music in high school, I was dabbling in quite a few instruments, and my senior year of high school I was getting lessons from my band teacher on various other instruments in case I wanted to pursue a major in music yet. Besides the tuba, I can play the clarinet, almost all brass instruments, and the tenor sax pretty handedly. I taught myself how to play the piano, but that was years ago, and I never learned how to use my left hand while playing (and my skills with the right hand would make anyone taking any kind of piano lessons cringe).

I've always wanted to learn how to play the oboe ever since I've heard the theme song to Tomb Raider. I've never been able to play on one though, and I hear that it is technically the most difficult instrument to master professionally. But the timbre and quality of the oboe (when played well) is just so beautiful, and there is so much you can do with it in any kind of music. If you play the oboe I envy you lol.

Below are some of my favorite songs and vids that kind of showcase my favorite instruments.

UW-Madison marching band pregame (Someone from my high school is actually one of the tubas in this video.)

Vesuvius by Frank Ticheli (By far my most favorite song to play, and Frank Ticheli is a fantastic composer. On an unrelated note: if you ever want to peruse some concert music on Youtube, concertbandland (who posted the video I linked) is a great channel to visit).

Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (From Lohengrin) (Such a pretty piece, and sooooo Richard Wagner it's not even funny. Not too much tuba, but I didn't mind because it was so pretty lol).

I've always been quite musical, though maybe not as much as most of the posters here. At the age of seven (I think) I started playing the djembé, which is an instrument in African percussion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_-htNFTb0&feature=related Here's a little vid to check out what it sounds like (sadly not mine, haha). I also learned to play some of the bigger instruments you see in the background, though not as well. I played for about five years, in which I was the best player in the (mostly younger) group most of the time. I quit because it didn't interest me as much anymore, and it started interfering with my judo.

After that I didn't play music for about a year, until I started playing guitar around a year ago. I still suck, but less then when I started. My guitar is a shitty Fender fake, but since I still can't play too well you wouldn't hear the difference from a real Strat anyways. I also started playing bass a month or three ago, and just last week got my own bass, and I like it so far.

My little brother's been taking drum lessons for over half a year know, but through my 'history' in playing djembé I have a better sense of rhythm than he does, and even though I didn't have any lessons I'm still a half-decent drummer.

I don't really show any influences in what I play, but if I'd grow to be a half-decent musician, I could imagine being my style somewhere between rock and funk (something RHCP-like, I guess).

@mattj: loving the veggietales cover. reminds me of relient k.

@more cowbell: very cool. hopefully you and your brother stick to your instruments -- could be really fun to always have a jam partner on tap. one of my best friends and i used to play drums and percussion together in a church band -- he would play djembe and i would play drums and we would switch it up every so often. it was a lot of fun. miss that guy....

liking how this topic is encouraging people to record some of their stuff. do it!

These are some very nice recordings :)

I've been trained to sing church music and have done so for... 10 years now. I do death metal vocals as well, I'll be recording some stuff for a potential band-mate later, don't know if I could post an MP3 or WMA file on here though...

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thread in Smeargle's Studio has been going for a little while now, and I tend to throw my stuff in there. Laugh or whatever.

I dabble in Bass Guitar also, but I can't say I'm any good.

I've been playing the drums for about 5 years now, and I love it. Nothing clears your mind better than hitting shit for an hour. Up until about a year ago, I didn't play with many bands, mostly just a couple of one-off jam sessions with my musically apathetic friends. Once I got to college and made friends with good musicians, I realized that playing in a band is the sex to solo practicing's masturbation. I joined the Jazz ensemble and was the drummer for a year, and I made psychedelic noise rock at 1 AM.

For years I've been making fun little songs on Garageband using the software instruments. I plan on sharing them one day, but I always hate the songs after a few months so I can never decide on which ones to share.

Oh I also play guitar but so does everybody else.

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I'm not very good at guitar, but I've been playing for a little while. I've been meaning to record some songs, but I've only gotten to two so far. Here's the myspace where I upload them. I'm still kinda working on it. I don't really write anything, I just play covers.

I've been playing piano for a long time, more than eight years, but I don't practice enough to be really good at it. But I also compose. I've been taking composition lessons for about two years, and I have gotten better very quickly. My style of composition is modern classical, with lots of different influences including Bach, Debussy, Stravinsky, Bartok, Shostakovitch, Glass, and more. I take part in a program called the Young Composers Project, where middle school and high school students work on a composition over the course of several months, and meet with professional musicians for three rehearsals. All the pieces are performed in a concert at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)