[Stall Team] Wrath of the Sands [Please help me out, greatly appreciated!]

Team Overview:

The key point of this team is to first set up entry hazards and take advantage of tyrannitar's Sand Stream with hippowdon's Sand Force ability. By using both hippowdon and quagsire to try and force the opposing team to switch out their Pokemon and be damaged by the hazards, slowly whittling down their health.

Tyrannitar

Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 202 ATK/56 DEF/252 SPD
Moveset;
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Superpower
Item: Leftovers
Tyrannitar serves as my lead to start up a sandstorm for hippowdon and to administer stealth rock as the first entry hazard to the opposing team. Fire punch is there to help take out bulky and annoying steel Pokemon like scizor or foretress that may appear. Earthquake is necessary, in my opinion, for tyrannitar, and superpower helps deal with another lead tyrannitar are mass-HP normals like blissey or snorlax. Speed, in this set, is imperative for tyrannitar so that he can at least get stealth rock out before fainting.

Forretress

Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/130 DEF/128 SDEF
Moveset;
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
I would actually really like to get rid of forretress considering that he cannot take a hit very well(Thank you sturdy), but he goes very well with the team that I have here. He serves as my spinner, ridding of any potential entry hazards on my end. Equipped with both spikes and toxic spikes, he can initiate the last two entry hazards onto the other team if he can survive that long. He also gets STAB from gyro ball in the last attack slot.

Jellicent

Ability: Cursed Body
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/120 DEF/138 SDef
Moveset;
- Recover
- Energy Ball
- Taunt
- Surf
Taunt has been added to jellicent to help aid with switching out. I may also want to remove him from this team, as sandstorm hinds his surf attack, but he can also clean up other water or ground/rock Pokemon with his energy ball, both of which can pose as a real problem for hippowdon.

Hippowdon

Ability: Sand Force
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/18 ATK/152 DEF/88 SDef
Moveset;
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Slack Off
- Roar
Taking advantage of tyrannitar's Sand Stream ability as stated above, my bulky little hippowdon's earthquake is significantly powered up by 30%, not to mention that he gets STAB from it. Ice fang(Formerly stone edge) is used for flying Pokemon that cannot be hit by earthquake, and for potentially deadly grass Pokemon. Slack Off serves as a reliable recovery move and yawn tempts the opponent to either switch their Pokemon and face damage from two entry hazards and chance of poisoning, or have their Pokemon be asleep and useless(with an exception to sleep talk) for a few turns.

Quagsire

Ability: Unaware
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/138 DEF/120 SDef
Moveset;
- Encore
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
Being able to cope well in the sandstorm, unaware quasire here can stop anyone who has had time to raise their stats. Encore is to catch the opponent off gaurd, especially if they're using something like Bulk Up or Calm Mind that will be put in vain. Scald gives him a nice chance of statusing the Pokemon after toxic is out of commission.

Cresselia

Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 96 HP/252 SATK/162 SPD
Moveset;
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
Cresselia simply serves as a different, bulky typing in this team. Calm Mind helps with heightening her special attack and defense, so that she can deal massive damage with psychic-STAB-and thunderbolt, whilst being able to take damage incredibly well.

Any help, tips, potential Pokemon to switch in and out from this team would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thank you ^^

This looks like a very solid team. But on Cresselia you should change Charge Beam to Thunderbolt and on Hippowdon I think you should change Yawn to Toxic because if Jelli is gone you really don't have much to slow down the opponent. Also MAYBE you could/should change Heatran to Slowbro:

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Toxic
- Slack Off

You're still bulky while mainting stall. Scald is the main STAB and you still have a fire type move for coverage. Good luck!

personally i can see why he suggested slowbro but i PERSONALLY wouldn't make that change because slowbro and heatran accomplish two different roles. Slowbro is a defensive wall where as heatran is better special defencively plus heatran doesnt even have to attack to burn the opponent if they physically attack him there is a chance that they could get burned. I personallly would stick with heatran (it also has good synergy with jellicent) its a pretty good team overall but i feel like its worrying too much on the boost on cresselia i would either change calm mind to ice beam or change charge beam to thunderbolt but that is just me. Overall this looks like a really solid team nice job (and we all know how hard it is to stall this gen)

Right now, you have a big weakness to set-up sweepers. None of your pokemon have Roar or Taunt, so you have no way to force them out once Sleep Clause is active and can't stop a set up in the first place. What's worse, you have no pokemon capable of revenge killing, which basically mean after a few boosts, you're dead. To remedy this, I'd give Hippowdon Roar over Yawn. Yawn has terrible synergy with T. Spikes anyways, as many pokemon you try to put to sleep will already be statused.

Another option is to replace Heatran with a Scarf Ditto or Unaware Quagsire. Ditto gives you a bonafide revenge killer (and also reveals the opponent's moveset), while Quagsire laughs at boosting moves and packs a Sanstorm immunity as well.

How do you expect to get up Spikes and Toxic Spikes with a wall that doesn't threaten like anything, and doesn't carry any reliable recovery.

Drop Cress for Wish Latias or something.

Whoa.

Whoa.

WHOA.

You NEED at least 3 pokes with a combination of Roar/WW/Dragon Tail/Taunt. Jellicent is dead weight without Taunt too.

Also: Genesect is AMAZING on stall teams because of how many switches he causes.

Thank you for all of the suggestions everyone.

Dropping hippowdon's yawn for roar.
Replacing heatran with unaware quagsire.
Cresselia was actually a mistake I made, I meant Moonlight, not Recover.
Replacing cresselia with wish latias.

I'm not too sure about genesect.
And if I were to give Jellicent taunt, which I'd love to do, what should I replace?

Seeing the changes you made, I'd also replace Jellicent with Evolite Dusclops. Quagsire is providing the same kind of support Jellicent was (minus the Spin Blocking of course), and you said in your analysis that you weren't entirely happy with him. Dusclops, the bulkiest Ghost this side of Giratina, gives you a new Spin Blocker while removing one of your Grass weaknesses. Evolite, Pain Spilt, and Wish support give him tons of staying power; he can reliably spread status, tank hits, and (most importantly) keep your hazards in place for the duration of the match. Dusknoir is an option as well, since he has more Attack and can use Leftovers to cancel out the Sandstorm damage.

100th post!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)