Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are legendaries in BW able to be captured after fainting (like in HG/SS)? When would I need to prepare to RNG abuse for the legendaries?

Since one cannot transfer a Surfing Pikachu/Raichu from HS/SS, would it be considered "illegal" or "cheating" to have it re-learn surf through an AR code once arrived in Black or White? :P
If it cant learn it in B/W itself , then yes its illegal.

how much of a difference will it make if you make a poke that has imperfect ivs than breeding for the ivs you want? (in other words is it worth the time spent breeding?)
The difference between 31 IV's on a charizard (neutral nature) with 252 SpA EV's , is exactly 31 , so with 0 iv's its 286 while with 31 IV's its 317.
Depending wich IV u have atm , i would or wouldnt do the effot of breeding.
If u have like 310 SpA on a neutral charizard with 252 EV's , i would consider that acceptable personally. As the 7 difference wont change that much to the dammage output.
But if ur below 300 SpA , then u could consider changing it .
(Ofc this is just an example , alot of people use charizard physically even.
these were just stats i remembered :) )

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Generally it doesn't matter if your IVs aren't that far below 31, but you may finding yourself missing a lot of KOes :/
For a lot of pokemon, the by far most important thing to hit is 31 Speed IV because otherwise they are outsped by a lot of things they would ordinarily outspeed. The other stats, you can afford to go 30 or 29.

Are legendaries in BW able to be captured after fainting (like in HG/SS)? When would I need to prepare to RNG abuse for the legendaries?
It depends. Victini can be battled an infinite amount of times while Kyurem disappears after it's beaten. I believe that Reshiram and Zekrom can be battled one more time after N's Castle (at Dragonspiral Tower). The roamers mechanics probably stayed the same.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yes,most of them respawn after beating the elite four if you fainted them.
If you have Victini able to be catched it respawns every time you leave his room after fainting it.

Bulbapedia describes the effect of Vacuum Wave thusly:

Vacuum Wave inflicts damage, and is an increased priority move. If the target does not use an increased priority move during the round that it is used, Vacuum Wave will go first regardless of the user's or target's speed. If the target also uses a move with an increased priority of +1 during the same round that the user uses Vacuum Wave, the attack order of the users will be determined normally. If the user is put to sleep or frozen during the round that Vacuum Wave is (or attempts to be) used, Vacuum Wave's increased speed priority will not be reset. Subsequently, it will only be reset on the turn after the user wakes up or is defrosted, or if the user switches out.

Does this mean that the user will have +1 priority on any move on the turn it awakens/defrosts, because that doesn't sound right to me?

Edit: Thanks UpsideDownHitmontop, I knew something seemed off.

Does this mean that the user will have +1 priority on any move on the turn it awakens/defrosts, because that doesn't sound right to me?
No that definitely not what it means. Vacuum Wave works just the same as any other priority move. I think it's trying to say vacuum wave still has priority even when you're frozen but it's badly worded.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because SwiftSwim + Drizzle is a lot better than Sand Rush + Sandstream and Drought + Chlorophyll.

Mostly due to the fact that the SwSw abusers have double STAB (rain and their own typing) along with increased Speed, which makes it almost ridiculous to deal with. On the other hand, none of the other weather and speed boosting abilities have this unique trait!

The double stab along with water being a good neutral coverage type attack is just ridiculous. I couldnt stand all of the swsw + drizzle teams nonsense when I played on PO's server.

To add to that, Chlorophyll users don't get normal stab on their sun boosted fire attacks, and grass isn't as dangerous.

Sand only has excadrill, and lolsandslash i guess. But everyone has gliscor/skarmory/bronzong to lesser extent on their teams nowadays, so he isnt a problem like he used to be.

Sand only has excadrill, and lolsandslash i guess. But everyone has gliscor/skarmory/bronzong to lesser extent on their teams nowadays, so he isnt a problem like he used to be.
Base 179 equivalent speed and 100 attack probably isn't lolworthy, at least in UU. Plus, I believe it's more physically bulky than Excadrill (75/110 vs 110/60), though it doesn't get all those nice steel resists. The main problem for Sandslash, unlike for Excadrill and Stoutland, is that Sand Rush isn't released yet.

Base 179 equivalent speed and 100 attack probably isn't lolworthy, at least in UU. Plus, I believe it's more physically bulky than Excadrill (75/110 vs 110/60), though it doesn't get all those nice steel resists. The main problem for Sandslash, unlike for Excadrill and Stoutland, is that Sand Rush isn't released yet.
Well I was speaking from an OU standpoint of course. I've seen discussions of him for in UU sand teams and I do agree he could be a powerful force there.
edit: Can't believe I forgot about Stoutland, yeah him too. He seems more like borderline in power between OU and UU though to me.

Question: On my Gyarados, I have a choice of 2 attacks for him. Waterfall is mandatory STAB move, but the second one is so difficult.
-I used Bounce for quite a while, it allows me to kill fighting types primarily, and importantly hits bulky waters neutrally, which would otherwise wall the hell out of gyara.
-Earthquake is a good one i've considered, it's reliable and has coverage.
-Dragon's wall the hell out of gyarados too, being immune to most of his moves, so what about avalanche? I tried avalanche for a few battles, and being able to kill dragons is very rewarding. Also thundurus after wacan berry tanks the thunderbolt :P

How much speed my adamant Klinklang needs to outspeed a scarfed Jolly 252 speed Garchomp after a Shift Gear? (Assuming max IV ofc)

Klinklang http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/601.shtml
Garchomp http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/Garchomp
Assuming Lv. 100 and 31 IVs it needs 136 Speed EVs.

Jolly 252 speed EVs scarfed Garchomp hits 333*1.5=499 Speed (Pokemon rounds down)
So to be faster after shift gear you need 500/2=250 speed.
Serebii says Kinklang has a min of 185 speed for a neutral nature. That's with 0 IVs so with 31 IVs it's 185+31=216. 250-216=34 (you need enough EVs to add 34 more speed). 34*4=136 EVs you need.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
48 spd ev's I believe. That would give it 456 speed after a Shift Gear while Garchomp has either 454 or 455 (not sure which) with a scarf and max spd.
Actually chomp with scarf and max speed is 499.
How much speed my adamant Klinklang needs to outspeed a scarfed Jolly 252 speed Garchomp after a Shift Gear? (Assuming max IV ofc)

Klinklang http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/601.shtml
Garchomp http://veekun.com/dex/pokemon/Garchomp
Let's ignore for a second that chomp is banned , to outspeed it with a Shift Gear you need 136 EVs in speed.

Actually chomp with scarf and max speed is 499.

Let's ignore for a second that chomp is banned , to outspeed it with a Shift Gear you need 136 EVs in speed.
My bad, for some reason I red Garchomp's max speed as 303 instead of 333.

Edit: read not red

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are some of the best teammates for Latias?
There are basically three common things that hamper Latias's sweep (SubCM, I assume?): Tyranitar, Scizor, and Ferrothorn (though Ferrothorn without Gyro Ball is setup fodder). Infernape does take care of these. Mienshao also 1-2HKOes all of them as well as trolling Skarmory switchins by 2HKOing them as well -- Skarmory can, after all, phaze Latias out.

Question: On my Gyarados, I have a choice of 2 attacks for him. Waterfall is mandatory STAB move, but the second one is so difficult.
-I used Bounce for quite a while, it allows me to kill fighting types primarily, and importantly hits bulky waters neutrally, which would otherwise wall the hell out of gyara.
-Earthquake is a good one i've considered, it's reliable and has coverage.
-Dragon's wall the hell out of gyarados too, being immune to most of his moves, so what about avalanche? I tried avalanche for a few battles, and being able to kill dragons is very rewarding. Also thundurus after wacan berry tanks the thunderbolt :P
earthquake is a good option, which still hits other water's neutrally. i also like stone edge on mine.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but just making sure: If a double-switch occurs and your opponent switches out to a Shadow Tag (or other such trapping ability) user before your switch occurs, does your switch actually happen? Like:

Turn 1
___ called back Pikachu!
___ sent out Dugtrio!
(Your attempt to switch your Raichu out of the battle takes place here, I need to know if this switch will happen since it's on the same turn as the Duggy switch-in)

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but just making sure: If a double-switch occurs and your opponent switches out to a Shadow Tag (or other such trapping ability) user before your switch occurs, does your switch actually happen? Like:

Turn 1
___ called back Pikachu!
___ sent out Dugtrio!
(Your attempt to switch your Raichu out of the battle takes place here, I need to know if this switch will happen since it's on the same turn as the Duggy switch-in)
Yes, otherwise there would be nothing you could do if a faster trapper was going to switch in, even if you predicted the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)