Aerodactyl (Analysis)

Ugh, still no Head Smash/Brave Bird. Anyway, first analysis :) hope it goes well

QC checks: Oglemi - Snunch - PK Gaming

[Overview]

<p>Aerodactyl has been, excuse the pun, soaring through the skies since the beginning of Pokemon. This generation, it has found itself a new home in the Underused tier. Aerodactyl is fairly unique among Rock-type Pokemon, as it is neither slow nor sturdy, but fast and frail. It has one of the highest base Speed stats in the tier at 130, a respectable base Attack of 105, and the physical movepool to use it. However, it isn't all clear skies for our flying fossil. Aerodactyl is weak to many priority attacks, and has mediocre defenses. Furthermore, although very fast, there are plenty of Pokemon that can outspeed with a Choice Scarf and OHKO it.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Taunt / Substitute
move 3: Toxic / Earthquake
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers
ability: Pressure
nature: Jolly
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It may seem strange, but this previously offensively-inclined Pokemon now has the potential to pull off a defensive set. Unlike other walls, Aerodactyl is incredibly fast. and has a rather unique typing that offers it some interesting resistances. This set shines the most on a sandstall team, recieving a boost to its Special Defense. Furthermore, it can counter some common threats to sandstorm teams, such as Swellow and Nasty Plot Mismagius. Ironically, it also functions as an excellent stallbreaker, since matches that involve two stall teams can go on for a while.</p>

<p>Rock Slide is the main attacking move. It gains STAB, has a rather good chance to flinch the opponent due to Aerodactyl's high speed, and has more PP and is more accurate than Stone Edge. Taunt is another crucial move on Aerodactyl, preventing all kinds of set up, and protects Aerodactyl from status attacks. Toxic and Roost allow Aerodactyl to stall out most opponents while recovering HP at the same time. Due to excellent speed, Roost will often allow Aerodactyl to shed its weaknesses to Ice, Electric, and Rock-type moves for a turn. This is a double edged sword, though, as one must now beware of Ground- and Fighting-type moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs allow Aerodactyl to outpace base 115 positive natured Pokemon such as Raikou. The HP EVs allow Aerodactyl to switch into Stealth Rock four times without fainting, and the rest are dumped into Defense to provide physical bulk. Toxic Spikes should be on the battlefield when using this Aerodactyl variant, since it's designed for use on a stall team. This also allows it to free up a moveslot for Earthquake to hit Poison and Steel-types. If you choose not to run Toxic Spikes, a teammate that can easily remove Poison- and Steel-type Pokemon is recommended. Dugtrio and Magneton are good choices, as they both share good synergy with Aerodactyl. Substitute can be used over Taunt, allowing Aerodactyl to pull-off a SubRoost set, but the general utility of Taunt tends to be superior.</p>

<p>There are some other options that can fit onto this set. Whirlwind is a good move that Aerodactyl has access to, allowing it to rack up entry hazard damage and prevent setup. Unfortunately, it has negative priority, which defeats the purpose of using something as fast as Aerodactyl. Fly is another good attacking move: it's more powerful than Rock Slide and can turn Aerodactyl into a mean PP-eatin'-machine that also gains more Leftovers recovery and Toxic damage. The issue, however, is that it takes two turns to use, which gives the opponent the chance to switch in a resist and do whatever they want . Stealth Rock can fit on this set, but there are more viable Pokemon than Aerodactly for this job.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Aqua Tail
move 4: Fire Fang / Double-Edge
ability: Pressure / Rock Head
item: Choice Band
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Aerodactyl's stats are practically begging for a Choice Band set. Aerodactyl also has a good physical movepool: most attacks have relatively high base power. Stone Edge is the main STAB attack, but its infamous accuracy can be a problem. Earthquake is the next best attack, granting Aerodactyl excellent coverage and forming the well-known EdgeQuake combo. Aqua Tail hits many Ground-types for great damage, such as Rhyperior, Donphan and Claydol. The last move is mostly filler. Fire Fang decimates Escavalier and Eviolite Ferroseed, whereas Double-Edge hits most Pokemon for some strong neutral damage. Aerodactyl isn't a wall-breaker though; its best use is against offensive teams, since it can outspeed the vast majority of Pokemon on such teams. Because of the frailty of offensive teams, Aerodactyl can proceed to KO opponents outright with the appropriate move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Aerodactyl is a very fast Pokemon, there are some Pokemon that can ignore this speed. Priority moves will always go first, and unfortunately, Aerodactyl is weak to a fair number of them, such as Aqua Jet, Ice Shard, and Bullet Punch. Therefore, it is crucial that users of these moves be eliminated before attempting to sweep with Aerodactyl. This is not helped by Aerodactyl's natural frailty and weakness to Stealth Rock. Thus, a Rapid Spinner is recommended when using Choice Band Aerodactyl, since it'll be switching in and out a lot. Aerodactyl also lacks the power to break through some of the tougher physical walls, such as Slowbro, Milotic and Tangrowth. Powerful wallbreakers such as Electrivire are good teammates for Aerodactyl in this regard, since Electrivire can zap the bulky Water-types with its STAB Electric attacks, and can roast Tangrowth with Flamethrower. Another good teammate is Life Orb Roserade, since it fears nothing from any of these walls and can OHKO all of them. It is worth noting that all of these walls are also crippled by Toxic Spikes. Speaking of entry hazards, Aerodactyl also enjoys Stealth Rock and Spikes on the opposing side, since they turn some 2HKOs into OHKOs, such as against Donphan, who needs two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock in order to be taken out with on hit.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Pressure
evs: 252 Atk / 4Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While the previous set rips offensive teams to pieces, this set fares much better against defensive teams. Aerodactyl can prevent walls from using their non-damaging attacks, heal off the damage caused by their generally weak offenses, and hit them with the powerful EdgeQuake combo. Stone Edge is once again the main attacking move, since it receives STAB. Earthquake hits Pokemon that resist Stone Edge, mainly Steel-types. Taunt prevents walls from healing themselves, crippling Aerodactyl with status attacks, phazing it, and in general stops them from being a nuisance. Roost rounds off the set, since it makes Aerodactyl less reliant on a Rapid Spinner, alleviates the recoil from Life Orb, and prevents Aerodactyl from dying from some of the weaker attacks aimed at it.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Although more versatile than the Choice Band set, the boost provided by Life Orb is a little weaker, so a greater emphasis is placed on the importance of Spikes. Walls will be worn down much easier this way, and Aerodactyl will be able to achieve more KOs. Since this set relies only on the coverage of Rock and Ground-type moves, there will be some Pokemon who resist Aerodactyl's attacks. Some examples are Claydol, Torterra and Flygon, all of whom can hit Aerodactyl hard. A bulky Water-type that packs Ice Beam can deal with these threats, although beware of Torterra's powerful Wood Hammer.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Anywhere you see Stone Edge, Rock Slide is an option. Aerodactyl likes the higher PP and the chance to flinch. However, it's quite weak for a STAB attack. Ice Fang can be used to hit Pokemon that resist the EdgeQuake combo such as Flygon and Torterra for 4x damage, but it is situational, and Flygon is hit hard by Aqua Tail and Double-Edge anyway. Pursuit is an option to kill off fleeing Ghost- or Psychic-types with low defense, and Crunch is slightly more powerful than Stone Edge against Pokemon weak to the Dark-type move. A Stealth Rock suicide lead from the fourth generation also comes to mind. However, in this metagame where leads essentially don't exist, the suicide lead finds a hard time to shine. The opponent can simply start off with a Pokemon that beats Aerodactyl, such as Hitmontop.</p>

<p>Our flying friend's Dream World ability, Unnerve, is already released. It prevents the foe from using berries, but since pinch Berries are unreleased, Pressure is usually the better option. It's illegal with Aqua Tail too. Aerodactyl also finally gets a boosting move in Hone Claws. It also helps with the less than stellar accuracy of Aqua Tail and Stone Edge. However, it's very easily revenge-killed, and +1 Attack usually isn't enough to sweep with. A Curse set with White Herb can work in a sandstorm, but it's a one time deal. It's forced out quite easily, and then you're left with a weaker, itemless Pokemon. A +1 in three stats (+1 Attack and Defense from Curse, +1 Special Defense from sandstorm) is nice though.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aerodactyl doesn't hit as hard as more powerful Pokemon such as Heracross, so in order to wall this fossilized dinosaur, it's usually enough to send in a Pokemon with high defenses that isn't weak to its attacks. Bulky Water-types such as Slowbro fear nothing from Aerodactyl, and can take it out with their STAB attacks. Pokemon such as Steelix and Regirock take pitiful damage even from super-effective Earthquakes, and can KO Aerodactyl with STAB Steel- and Rock-type attacks, respectively. Aerodactyl is frail, so sending in a Choice Scarfed Pokemon with a super-effective attack, such as Flygon or Heracross, can also do the trick. Finally, Aerodactyl is weak to priority, so Pokemon with powerful priority such as Azumarill and Mamoswine can easily pick it off.</p>

Unnerve is essentially useless until pinch berries are released.

Don't list 6 evs it should look like this 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe

Maybe slash Life Orb on the first set and rename it "Physical Attacker"?

changed the EVs. I never mentioned pinch berries anyway. Other berries do exist though. I don't really like LO on the first set, since without a way to recover, it loses HP way too fast. Might put it into Additional Comments though

changed the EVs. I never mentioned pinch berries anyway. Other berries do exist though. I don't really like LO on the first set, since without a way to recover, it loses HP way too fast. Might put it into Additional Comments though
Well Custap is unreleased and no one uses resist berries other than like Exeggutor (lol). The only actual threat that I think uses resist is Houndoom with Passho. Aqua Tail is useful and Pressure sometimes help sometimes I guess.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't tried it, but I think the Suicide Lead could still work, precisely because the lead metagame is dead. No leads means nobody runs Choice Scarf Sleep Powder anymore. Is there anything remotely common that can stop Aerodactyl from getting entry hazards first?

Yes, I am also wondering why there isn't any set with Stealth Rock and Taunt. Like Honko said, even with the "lead" metagame dead, Base 130 Speed is nothing to laugh at. Aerodactyl is probably one of the most reliable Stealth Rock setters, the only thing being able to stop it being Magic Bounce Xatu which gets owned by Stone Edge...

breh

強いだね
I have seen aero leads used against me and they have all been underwhelming. They set up SR and then I kill them and spin. recall that the two moves it's using - EQ and Stone Edge - do not allow it to do much to common spinners bar... cryogonal or something.

you have to make note of the fact that the ability on all sets is pressure.

you don't need a DW section since DW aero is released, as you noted.

I feel like Hone Claws should be its own set something like:

name: Hone Claws
move 1: Hone Claws
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Aqua Tail
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Hits pretty hard after a boost and Stone Edge and Aqua Tail benefit from the accuracy boost. Also has decent coverage. I think it should be a set, but it's up to QC.

I'd like to see this set added:

name: Defensive
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Toxic / Earthquake
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe

Stealth Rock and Whirlwind in AC. Functions best in sandstorm, where Aerodactyl becomes surprisingly bulky. Counters threatening anti-stall sweepers like Sub+NP Mismagius and Guts Swellow, while at the same time being a threatening anti-stall force itself with high speed and the taunt+toxic combination. EVs outspeed positive base 115's.

OK, updated the OP with Defensive set. I'm really not convinced that suicide lead and Hone Claws should get their own sets, since I've tested them, and they've proven ineffective. Rapid Spinners are very common, and Hitmontop switches into Aero with impunity. Hone Claws doesn't hit hard enough and is easily revenged. Sure it fixes accuracy problems, but it's just not strong enough. OO seems enough for me, but I guess it's up to QC

Sorry for double posting, but I need more suggestions. I wrote up the Overview, and added a mention of Fly to the defensive set, which I had some success with

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
de-slash Ice Fang on the first set. Aqua Tail and Double-Edge both do sufficient damage to Flygon anyway (who's more than likely Scarfed and will outspeed you anyway), and you aren't going to do jack squat to Tangrowth or defensive Celebi with either Ice or Fire Fang (but Fire Fang at least nails Escavalier).

Otherwise the sets look good.

QC 1/3

Also just a note, it's Atk not Att, and it's Double-Edge not Double Edge. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)