Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yes.
I dissapoint myself as an artist for not working this fast...
Yayakoma is called the japanese robin. WHile I refuse to jump to conclusions, in the back of my mind it's immediately ruined the supposed heavy french/eauropean theming that the Pokemon were expected to follow.
I also love Yamchan to death, but our first panda (red pandas aren't really pandas, sorryboutit Spinda) is a snide little jerk? He reminds me of a panda grass starter that someong came up with who evolved into a Grass/Fighting. Hoping he'll be useful in the new metgame

So to me, Parting Remark does not sound physical whatsoever. Does that mean it could be a special Fighting-type move? If so, that would be great. We could always use more of those instead of having to rely on HP or Focus Blast. The name itself also leads to the idea of it being a special Fighting-type U-turn. Not bad.

Shiruba, I think this female character is a good rebound design from Rosa, who looked like a brunette Sailor Moon. I mean, seriously. I have some mild issues with their outfits, but the reason the female's legs look so long is because her clothes really section her off and play wth her proportions. The break in the stockings and the height of her skirt's waist makes her look more like she's got bishi proportions. There are some problems with the boy's clothes too that make him look a bit broken, like with his collar.
But basically yes, I think this radiates hot babe, because she's carrying herself quite fashionably.
lol definitely. i picked her for white 2 and her hair bothers me. not so much as lyra's, though - at least rosa's didn't get stuck in the trees.

honhonhon, you like the french way of carrying yourself? good idea to head on over there, then. many speak english, nowadays, at least to an extent ;)
(it's the main reason french will soon be a dead language)

So does anyone know where they got the region name Karos? Is it maybe based on the name of a district/city state in France?
i think they'll change it based on localisation again. in japanese, unova was called isshu - in french, unys. it's probably based off of a japanese word that will be changed later. i don't recognise it as any word in french that would have relevance.

its the french way...
The boy sprites have looked bad for a while. Black was ok (if essentially a reboot of red), but black 2 (especially overworld sprite) looked dumb, I wasn't a huge fan of diamond either. its like they're determined that everyone needs a godamn hat. They're already running out of good ideas. I bet the last few generations will just end up being the dudes from the ymca song.

i totally agree with this. Except i would have to say Black was probaly my favorite so far just above Red. I just recently realized the guy from ruby and sapphire was wearing a hat instead of cool looking white anime hair. And i laughed out loud at the last sentence in your post.

I hope the character you don't pick has an input in the game. They were practically missing in BW1 and 2. I hope they get to be your rival, and that they are customizable too.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone else think the panda Pokemon gives off sort of a dark type vibe? I know the scan mentions that it seems to be pure Fighting but idk, its coloration, the expression it has on its face, and its classification as the "Naughty" Pokemon all scream Dark to me :/. perhaps it'll have an evolution thats Dark/Fighting?

So does anyone know where they got the region name Karos? Is it maybe based on the name of a district/city state in France?
I'm French and there's no region called Karos in France, this games sounds more like Greek than French. Unova (or Isshu) doesn't sound American either though.

I'm French and there's no region called Karos in France, this games sounds more like Greek than French. Unova (or Isshu) doesn't sound American either though.

UN(united states)OV(of)A(america)

i read that somewhere, but cant seem to remember where....seems legit

Also thanks R_N, the X box looks pro

Unova (or Isshu) doesn't sound American either though.
unova is probably from "united" and "nova" (exploding star, like on the american flag), from what i've been thinking.

unys is obvious, but isshu...

no idea.

EDIT un-ov-a for that actually makes more sense lol. that was nice.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Professor Oak's boy or girl question seems legitimate with the male character.

The fact gogoat has a saddle when ridden makes it seem like it will either be a rental Pokemon or a very exclusive tm. Keep in mind that the saddle makes that gogoat have a separate model from the others and the battle model. GF isn't gonna put in new models for every Pokemon that can learn a common tm so either way I'd say use is limited.

Aside from the goat, I love the designs. The goat just feels too generic. The koala is nothing more than an oshawott recolor but I love osha so I'm fine with it. Beaglemander is intresting and cute. I love how sdorably cartoony the robin is.

The new status u-turn seems like it could really be useful on a fast Pokemon.

...honestly, people
Unova's Japanese name, イッシュ Isshu, is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". According to the game director Masuda, this is to express that although the region is diverse in species and race, they are all the same as living creatures when seen from a distance.[3]
The region's English name likely comes from the Latin words unum (one) and nova (new).
French Unys From un (one) and uni (united).
German Einall From eins (one) and alles (all). Can be translated as "all-in-one".
Italian Unima From uno (one) and possibly from anima (soul).
Spanish Teselia Unova From tesela, Spanish for tessera, a ceramic mosaic piece. It can be related to the names of the regional locations, which are based on ceramic materials that can be used to make tesserae and form a mosaic.
Korean 하나 Hana From 하나 (one).
Chinese (Mandarin) 合眾
Hézhòng 合眾 means "united", "involving everyone". Literally "to assemble the multitude". Possibly derived from 「合眾為一」 Hézhòng wéi Yī (E pluribus unum).

i think the french explanation is wrong, or there is at least another explanation that i think is better.

"les etats unis" is "the united states" in french, so "unys" and "unis" are just one letter apart.

using "un" is completely redundant when you have "unis," naturally.

EDIT
Also thanks R_N, the X box looks pro

xbox fat ftw
xbox 360 is for loooooooooooooooserz

yeah, and the poke seems rather unremarkable as of now. i can see gogoat having an exclusive move, but that thing? nah. it's generally the really interesting/gimmicky pokes that have moves like that.

THank you, R N, for seeing where I was going with my inquiry. I understand that it's entirely possible that both the french and english releases are likely to have a completely different name for the region than that of the japanese word for it, but I'm just curious about the basis of the name Karos, as well as the name of the town we see the player riding Gogoat in. The town's name could hint to what themed semblance the other town names are going to have.

Also, there was a mention about creating new models for mountable Pokemon. That's not definately the case. They could use the in-battle models with a walking animation, and only change the caharacter to be sitting on the saddle that then gets parented to the Pokemon. There are highly efficient ways that game designers could get around that sort of problem if they wanted to make a list of rideable Pokemon (which is also a much nicer deviant of faster travel than bicycles, much like the rollerblades we think our character is getting.)

i think the french explanation is wrong, or there is at least another explanation that i think is better.

"les etats unis" is "the united states" in french, so "unys" and "unis" are just one letter apart.

using "un" is completely redundant when you have "unis," naturally.

EDIT

xbox fat ftw
xbox 360 is for loooooooooooooooserz
what in the fk. this is totally irralavent lol, but technically thats an "Xbox", not the "X_box"

I'm praying Gamefreak doesnt waste all kinds of space with " zomg teh new poke contest i mean poke movie place yeeeaahh" i would much rather have a storyline continue after you become champion with people actually acknowledging you as the champion and maybe a challenger

also, who says that every poke will need a saddle? sure, gogoat might get one, but why do all of them need it? it's like saying every 'mon needs a saddle with fly or something.

oh.

but what if...

what if that's just for pokemon customisation.

GUYS. WHAT IF YOU CAN DRESS UP YOUR POKEMON.

like in contests/musicals BUT FOR BATTLE TOO.

also, who says that every poke will need a saddle? sure, gogoat might get one, but why do all of them need it? it's like saying every 'mon needs a saddle with fly or something.

oh.

but what if...

what if that's just for pokemon customisation.

GUYS. WHAT IF YOU CAN DRESS UP YOUR POKEMON.

like in contests/musicals BUT FOR BATTLE TOO.
What if they bring back Pokemon contests and your Gogoat can knock out your opponents while looking very chic?

Still, if it gets Prankster (it's the Naughty Pokemon, come on!) then it could be one of the best users of it. And am I the only one who kind of likes the male(?) trainer's look?

"Parabola charge"?

This certainly seems related to the "X" and "Y" names, but is it simply semantic? Maybe that Pokemon is a version-exclusive, causing the move to have slightly different effects.

Or... maybe it has nothing to do with coordinates. It's food for thought, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)