Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the current Pokemon that lose their Normal-type upon evolution:

Eevee
Azurill
Swablu

So only three Pokemon, so we don't have much of an example to work off of for Litleo and Helioptile.
I know a lot of people (including me) are guessing that Helioptile and Litleo will lose their Normal typing when they evolve, but I read an idea that has me less sure that they will lose Normal. That is, what if GameFreak is introducing more part-Normal type families to make all the probable Normal/Fairy retcons of previous generations less conspicuous?

It makes sense because there's quite a lot of mono-Normal Pokemon that are likely to acquire the Fairy type, including the Clefairy line, Igglybuff, Wigglytuff, the Chansey line, the Snubull line, Azurill, Audino, and perhaps more. We may very well have more Normal/Fairy types than mono-Fairy Pokemon when the dust settles. So what better way to make this fact less strange than by introducing a bunch of part-Normal families in Gen VI to make it seem more, pardon me, normal?

I know a lot of people (including me) are guessing that Helioptile and Litleo will lose their Normal typing when they evolve, but I read an idea that has me less sure that they will lose Normal. That is, what if GameFreak is introducing more part-Normal type families to make all the probable Normal/Fairy retcons of previous generations less conspicuous?

It makes sense because there's quite a lot of mono-Normal Pokemon that are likely to acquire the Fairy type, including the Clefairy line, Igglybuff, Wigglytuff, the Chansey line, the Snubull line, Azurill, Audino, and perhaps more. We may very well have more Normal/Fairy types than mono-Fairy Pokemon when the dust settles. So what better way to make this fact less strange than by introducing a bunch of part-Normal families in Gen VI to make it seem more, pardon me, normal?
Bonus Fighting weaknesses for EVERYONE!
But Razor Leaf was the 25 PP Grass technique to go as a set with Ember and Water Gun as the token STAB techniques for the starters. Well, they would be, but the Grass starter always learns something crazy first between Vine whip, Razor Leaf and Absorb. Chespin doesn't appear to learn Razor Leaf before Vine Whip, so it looks like they may be catering some of their choices to even out the early game so that Chespin doesn't come with a disadvantage for having less chances to hit an opponent with its first STAB technique than Froakie or Fennekin.
I don't really understand why Chespin learns Vine Whip at all, since it doesn't seem to have any vines. Unless they're hidden in there somewhere, like Bulbasaur and Chikorita. Also it's a chestnut, which doesn't have vines. As it looks now, I think Absorb would have made a more appropriate first-Grass move.

So...I just realized something. You know how we can ride Gogoat and other various Pokemon around certain areas?
What about Fly and Suft/Waterfall/Dive? Are we going to FINALLY be flying high in the sky with out beloved Pokemon? Oh my god...I can see it now
[youtube]WvQb65N473E[/youtube]

So revolutionary!

I think there was a rumor going around without any sort of confirmation that the official names of the Trainers were Xavier and Yvonne.
I'm pretty sure the "rumor" is just referring to the placeholder names used when they were showing off PSS stuff:

So, they weren't really rumors to begin with.

might i ask the dear people of this thread if they're planning any teams, and if so, what shall be on them? i've got a few of mine picked out-

-froakie for my starter/water type/surfer
-litleo for my fire type
-noivern for my flier IF it's not found at a really late time/evolves like dragonite
-helioptile IF it doesn't evolve to be fire type [doubling types bugs me for a balanced team ;n;]
-probably a chespin from my friend if breeding can happen early/his happens to be female... gogoat is okay, but... eh... maybe some other grass type will spark my interest before then.

I'm pretty sure the "rumor" is just referring to the placeholder names used when they were showing off PSS stuff:

So, they weren't really rumors to begin with.
Hitoshura is right, it's not a rumor. I can expand on this a bit:
Xavier and Yvonne are the default names for the characters that the game suggests for you to use when choosing your name depending on which gender you decide to play as. The unpicked gender gets recreated in the game as a posse member in your group of friends with Shauna, Tierno and Trevor with a slight aesthetic change. If you decided to play as a boy/Xavier, then Yvonne/the girl will be called Serena and will wear her hair up in a ponytail as an NPC. If you decided to play as Yvonne, then Xavier will be made into an NPC without his hat and will be called Calem.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm obviously not going to infract anyone because I'm late as sin and no other mod felt the need to, but

Why did you guys posted that 4chan rumor again ?__? You should have sent it to an active OI mod so they would make a judgement call as to whether post it... Or you could simply use common sense and realize nothing in the rumor has been proved so it has absolutely zero credibility.

Besides, Clauncher is obviously evolving into a Water/Fire pistol shrimp, I refuse to believe any rumor telling us otherwise

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bonus Fighting weaknesses for EVERYONE!

I don't really understand why Chespin learns Vine Whip at all, since it doesn't seem to have any vines. Unless they're hidden in there somewhere, like Bulbasaur and Chikorita. Also it's a chestnut, which doesn't have vines. As it looks now, I think Absorb would have made a more appropriate first-Grass move.
Yeah the only way I would enjoy Chespin using vines is if they came from his wrists like Spiderman. I sort of get why Chikorita and Snivy have the vines come from their necks, but I can't see the same for Chespin

Hitoshura is right, it's not a rumor. I can expand on this a bit:
Xavier and Yvonne are the default names for the characters that the game suggests for you to use when choosing your name depending on which gender you decide to play as.
yeah...no, probably not

those are just development shot names. Every single game does this
Does no one remember the demo shots of Hilda being Whitlea? Or just White? & for the HGSS people they were Heart/Soul/Gold/Silver
and so forth

wait which rumour are we/they talking about now i'm so confused
is it the dual types theory?

also mario with lasers i'm not sure why but you're somehow easier to talk to with hydreigon as your avvie

maybe because imperial bugs bunny is not there to look down upon us mere mortals.

for the HGSS people they were Heart/Soul/Gold/Silver
^ this. i know that your rival in hgss is called heart [or perhaps soul] in his hidden data files. i wouldn't think that this is any different honestly [except he hasn't actually been given a canonical name though it's generally considered to be silver among the fandom]

also yveltal i would think that you'll be allowed to take the hat off for customisation. i would... doubt that it'd be forever glued to your head or make you be some sort of mutant with a hat-shaped appendage, so i don't think that a minor change in wardrobe makes them separate characters any more than when the colours of blue's shirt and pants were reversed between the original kanto games and their remakes.

yeah...no, probably not

those are just development shot names. Every single game does this
Does no one remember the demo shots of Hilda being Whitlea? Or just White? & for the HGSS people they were Heart/Soul/Gold/Silver
and so forth
It's the most sensible explanation I could come up with, otherwise there'd be little reason to call the NPC versions of them Calem and Serena if those weren't the default names for the characters, unless Calem/Serena holds some future plot relevancy, like how you couldn't name Cheren and Bianca whatever you wanted in BW because they wanted to keep those names ingrained in our brains for BW2, where they'd remain prominent.

also yveltal i would think that you'll be allowed to take the hat off for customisation. i would... doubt that it'd be forever glued to your head or make you be some sort of mutant with a hat-shaped appendage, so i don't think that a minor change i wardrobe makes them separate characters any more than when the colours of blue's shirt and pants were reversed between the original kanto games and their remakes.
I never meant to imply that headgear will be a permanent clothing article for your character. I would assume it wouldn't be judging by some of the avatars on the PSS screenshot. The point is that they're still made into a character with no hat or glasses.

It's the most sensible explanation I could come up with, otherwise there'd be little reason to call the NPC versions of them Calem and Serena if those weren't the default names for the characters, unless Calem/Serena holds some future plot relevancy, like how you couldn't name Cheren and Bianca whatever you wanted in BW because they wanted to keep those names ingrained in our brains for BW2, where they'd remain prominent.
you couldn't name professor bitch's kid either, what makes this any different?

it's just for demo purposes.

If you are really jonsing for an "actual" explanation they probably didn't specifically use serena/calem to avoid confusion with the npc character of serena/calem

you couldn't name professor BIRCH's kid either, what makes this any different?(I'm not one to talk, but stop swearing :P)
What if I told you that the game planners for DPPt couldn't write worth a darn back in 2005? That, or Birch actually knows the name of their grandchild/assistant, and doesn't need you to tell him what's up, so maybe it was Game Freak trying to come out of the shadow of the fanbases jokes when it came to personality quirks? And realistically, in DPPt if you chose to play as the male, then the Professor's kid is named Dawn, which was the default name for the female character. If there's a default names to be used on the NPC regardless, then it should make sense that the game would suggest you call yourself Calem instead of Xavier if Xavier and Yvonne weren't the official default names, no?

You know what, it was a dumb comment I am so done.

Helioptile may be obtainable in the mountainous/desert area NNE of Lumiose City, judging by the screenshot from the trailer where we're shown that you can step on Pokémon. How about that?

Helioptile may be obtainable in the mountainous/desert area NNE of Lumiose City, judging by the screenshot from the trailer where we're shown that you can step on Pokémon. How about that?
Haven't we always kind of stepped on Pokemon though? The sandy area is probably just sand like the area north of Castelia in BW.

hey, it was a typo, and a slightly amusing one, too, okay? :c
...birch was in r/s/e not d/p/pt.
[and r_n already provided a good explanation as to why they might not do that, especially with a lot of information in a little space]

makes sense. helioptile = sun & desert = sun, right?
plus i would think that the real animals that helioptile are based on live in the desert?
[this one lives in australia i think which is close enough and it looks like something that helioptile could've been based on]
[youtube]CDHSTu3fPX4[/youtube]

yes i spent a while looking through the thread for this shut up it's still funny
Haven't we always kind of stepped on Pokemon though? The sandy area is probably just sand like the area north of Castelia in BW.
i would think so, too. you step onto some sort of patch of sand [quicksand?], then- pow! wild pokemon goes samuel l jackson on you and attacks.

Does anyone have a link to that "leak" about fairy types? I think the source was a site called pokeach?

I am curious to know what the source said about the type advantages/disadvantages for Fairy as well as Mawile being Steel/Fairy.

If what I remember is true Mawile could become a pretty nifty counter to Physical Dragons stuck in Outrage... Hopefully its evolution will retain Intimidate and increase its HP, Attack, and Defense. Maybe even throw in Bulk Up.

This screenshot would suggest otherwise. On the official map, that area looks loosely based off of the french observatory in the Pyrenees mountains(which are incidentally divided into three sections; the atlantic, central and western). It's certainly drier-looking than the Pyrenees in general, but it doesn't look like a particularly sandy area, assuming it hasn't changed much since the first trailer.

Does anyone have a link to that "leak" about fairy types? I think the source was a site called pokeach?

I am curious to know what the source said about the type advantages/disadvantages for Fairy as well as Mawile being Steel/Fairy.

If what I remember is true Mawile could become a pretty nifty counter to Physical Dragons stuck in Outrage... Hopefully its evolution will retain Intimidate and increase its HP, Attack, and Defense. Maybe even throw in Bulk Up.
Pokebeach isn't the source, but the webmaster was contacted by a source who had information and, IIRC, was a tester at the Pokemon Company's American headquarters. You really ought to just go read what Pokebeach went and posted, but here
http://pokebeach.com/2013/06/pokebeach-x-y-rumor-roundup-and-clarifications
There wasn't any commentary to be made on Mawile's future viability, because WPM(Pokebeach's webmaster) isn't writing flavor columns on anything that isn't confirmed, and the source only told WPM what Fairy's type matchups are and that Mawile would become Steel/Fairy.

one piece of a trailer shown six months ago isn't really the best for disproving a theory, considering that not only a lot of development has gone on during that time, there's probably more than one area in the general location [which look different], and the fact that it might not even be the same area to begin with.

one piece of a trailer shown six months ago isn't really the best for disproving a theory, considering that not only a lot of development has gone on during that time, there's probably more than one area in the general location [which look different], and the fact that it might not even be the same area to begin with.
Yes, which is why I said "assuming it hasn't changed much since the first trailer" I already know it's highly likely that they've added more to the area and have done some editing to the topography, though we haven't seen updated footage (out of lack of necessity on the marketing groups part), but you don't know that they didn't have the map created and finalized for that area in January, and you would only see one particular building walking in, and may unsurprisingly require some walking round to see the rest of the area(route 4 was pretty big, you know. You're not gonna see the whole place in one screenshot), so it may not look THAT different in October. Keep in mind that they jump onto the next main series game almost immediately after their latest main series release. By the time this past January came up, they prolly wouldn't have had a lot of leniency for wanting to change the in-game maps. Eight months would barely be enough time for a major overhaul of an entire area in the game, so suggesting that they might have made extreme edits is a misdirection in business logic.

I'm sticking to the mountain range theory :I

This screenshot would suggest otherwise. On the official map, that area looks loosely based off of the french observatory in the Pyrenees mountains(which are incidentally divided into three sections; the atlantic, central and western). It's certainly drier-looking than the Pyrenees in general, but it doesn't look like a particularly sandy area, assuming it hasn't changed much since the first trailer.
That screenshot doesn't change my thoughts in the slightest. To me that screenshot suggests nothing more than a very very brief moment similar to:

Given how the game looks in standard gameplay on routes in everything else we've seen I have no reason to think we won't just "walk on a Pokemon" without the tiles being noticeably different like grass/sand/whatever always has been. With the exception of caves we've never just encountered Pokemon on standard tiles before and given what we've seen thus far I have no reason to think that's changed.

nahhh i wasn't referring to extreme edits, i was referring to a more simple type of correction, like textures or colour. helioptile was also in a more yellow, sandy place as opposed to the almost mars-like redness of that area, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)