The UU Viability Ranking Thread

Well there's lots of examples, like with common Volt Turning teams with spikes. Darm comes in on your Roserade or whatever. You don't want to risk it so you switch into Suicune. With Flare Blitz and some hazards you're down 40%. Your opponent then switches into Shaymin. If you were Milotic or something you could Recover off the damage on the switch then be at full for the next assault. If you were Slowbro you could Slack Off or even just switch out and let Regenerator patch you up. Even if you Rest up on the switch being asleep sucks.

Same scenario comes around again and you bring in your non rested Suicune on the Flare Blitz. You get 2HKOd.

Same scenario with rested Suicune, you get unlucky with Sleep Talk, pulling a Rest then a Calm Mind. This will happen 4/9 times if my math is correct, nearly half. In this case, you get 3HKO'd without even touching the Darm whereas even Milotic would have been fine. I've had this kind of thing happen while using Suicune. They don't even have to stay in Flare Blitzing, they can bring their grass or electric or whatever and not got hit almost 70% of the time.

Even if you Calm Mind on the switch to their Shaymin or Zapdos or whatever you're still doing crap damage while they smash you.

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 252-299 (62.37 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin: 59-69 (17.3 - 20.23%) -- possible 5HKO

I'm not saying that Suicune isn't good but it has several serious flaws. Mono water isn't the greatest with Kingdra and the like running around, not even mentioning stuff like Poliwrath. Even in the case of Milotic you mentioned, Suicune isn't winning as Milotic generally carries Dragon Tail or Haze. Slowbro and even Milotic can hit their counters with strong coverage moves, status, phazing, a whole bunch of things since they have a moveslot to spare.
Please read this again: ''It doenst really get worned down since it only has to come in once anyway''. Once. Crocune is not to be used like a regular bulk water. Crocune purpose is find an opportunity to setup once its checks are weakned or removed and then seal the game. Stop comparing it to slowbro and milotic. Slowbro and milotic use their bulk to switch into powerful moves and their instant recovery to keep themselves alive through the match. Crocune will use its bulk to tank hits while setupping once the path is clear. Again your argument about shaymin/zapdos/w/e coming in and forcing you out is downright irrelevant since they NEED to be removed in order to sweep.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
@Lovelace i talked exclusively about the crocune set as the reason to move suicune up to A-Rank. Omastar and kingdra are in no way comparable to crocune since theyre not supposed to tank hits while slowbro vulnerability to toxic makes it a lot easier to beat.
Please read this again: ''It doenst really get worned down since it only has to come in once anyway''. Once. Crocune is not to be used like a regular bulk water. Crocune purpose is find an opportunity to setup once its checks are weakned or removed and then seal the game. Stop comparing it to slowbro and milotic. Slowbro and milotic use their bulk to switch into powerful moves and their instant recovery to keep themselves alive through the match. Crocune will use its bulk to tank hits while setupping once the path is clear. Again your argument about shaymin/zapdos/w/e coming in and forcing you out is downright irrelevant since they NEED to be removed in order to sweep.

That's just the problem, I think. You said in your other post that your arguing that Suicune should only be moved up based on the Crocune set, and the Crocune set needs A LOT of support in order to function properly. The point about Shaymin and Zapdos is definitely not irrelevant, the fact that suicune absolutely cannot function as long as they are alive just goes to show how much support the set needs. Suicune really fits the definition of B rank:

Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.
Suicune as a bulky water is outclassed by Slowbro, Slowking, Empoleon, and Milotic. As a defensive sweeper, it has quite a few flaws that prevents it from doing its job. Anything with taunt shuts it down, anything with a phazing move shuts it down, its extremely vulnerable to hax, it's setup bait for quite a few pokemon (ex: Sub DD Kingdra, anything with both Calm Mind and Psyshock, etc) and the final flaw is the fact you can't even attempt to setup as long as certain pokemon are alive. It's not like DD Kingdra, where you can potentially raise your speed and grab the kill, or Weavile where you can raise your attack, and hope to catch them offguard with STAB Ice Shard. With Suicune, as long as something like Shaymin, Raikou, or Zapdos is alive, you can't even attempt to set up because ti would just end with Suicune getting forced back out.

Removing suicune checks is not really A LOT of support. Shaymin is easily dealt with by crobat for example which coincidentally beats phazers like swampert and snorlax with taunt+toxic, electric types are dealt with the omnipresent grounds which are present in most teams anyway regardless of wheter suicune would be used or not so its not a support really hard to provide. Suicune doesnt need much more than that. You dont need hazards, rapid spin, weather, paralysis support or anything other than removing its checks. Also you cant really compare it to kingdra in this case. Kingdra is S-Rank while im proposing suicune for A-Rank. Kingdra not just requires hardly any support but it also has hardly any checks and can complety destroy teams by itself.

If it's really that terrible, why is it even B-Rank and not C-Rank?

As it is, though, you're comparing Suicune [a defensive Pokemon] to two offensive Pokemon. A defensive Pokemon isn't designed to power through its counters, because it's... well... a defensive Pokemon! Milotic is not really relevant because he was talking about the Crocune set in particular, and Milotic does not learn Calm Mind. As for the others, Suicune presents its own advantages, mainly greater bulk in every area, as well as higher speed, and not being weak to U-Turn or Pursuit - Chandelure also can't smash through it through its STABS, though Suicune and the Slow Bros. can be crippled with a well-aimed Trick. Regenerator is also somewhat irrelevant, as Crocune's job is generally to come in once, set up, and sweep - Pressure helps with this, stalling out low-PP attacks. It, unlike the Slow Bros., is also not bothered by Toxic - taking a little nap is all it requires to refresh itself.

Gligar is definitely C-Rank at best. I've explained this earlier in the thread, but it can't do too much useful.
Did you miss the part where I explained its useful niche? Or are you one of those folks who forms an opinion and refuses to listen to reason?

Nothing on this thread (which I've read, by the way) has convinced me that Gligar is somehow not worthy of a B Rank as dictated by the requirements behind the ranking system in the OP. If there's some pokemon that does a better job of taking hits AND shifting momentum than Gligar, I'm all ears. It's a wall that transforms into free setup for another pokemon, if you're any good at using him.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So...has anyone tried Manectric before? It's one electric type I haven't put in my hands yet, I did ask around once or twice though, they said "You're not missing much with Galvantula." I mean theoretically, an electric with Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Overheat/Flamethrower, and HP Grass as well as switcheroo with a base 105 Speed stat would be worthy of some merit right? Or is Manectric just a frail lovechild of Raikou and Rotom-H?

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Removing suicune checks is not really A LOT of support. Shaymin is easily dealt with by crobat for example which coincidentally beats phazers like swampert and snorlax with taunt+toxic, electric types are dealt with the omnipresent grounds which are present in most teams anyway regardless of wheter suicune would be used or not so its not a support really hard to provide. Suicune doesnt need much more than that. You dont need hazards, rapid spin, weather, paralysis support or anything other than removing its checks. Also you cant really compare it to kingdra in this case. Kingdra is S-Rank while im proposing suicune for A-Rank. Kingdra not just requires hardly any support but it also has hardly any checks and can complety destroy teams by itself.

Shaymin is not easily dealt with by Crobat, if you use an actually decent set with Psychic, the LO set OHKOs crobat on the switch in. If Crocune needs Crobat, another Shaymin Counter, an "omnipresent ground", it's not exactly easy support.

In general, I'm going to agree completely with TPO3 on this. Yes, Suicune can perform a multitude of roles well, but it is outclassed in many of them. Most experienced players are very prepared for Crocune, so it's not a guaranteed winner.

KM

slayification
So...has anyone tried Manectric before? It's one electric type I haven't put in my hands yet, I did ask around once or twice though, they said "You're not missing much with Galvantula." I mean theoretically, an electric with Thunderbolt/Volt Switch, Overheat/Flamethrower, and HP Grass as well as switcheroo with a base 105 Speed stat would be worthy of some merit right? Or is Manectric just a frail lovechild of Raikou and Rotom-H?

I'd say it's more like a lovechild of Rotom-H and Rotom-H, lol. You're exchanging Dual Stab, Levitate, and good bulk for marginally better speed, Lightningrod, and non-weakness to Stealth Rock. You also lose out on pain split. In general, it's just outclassed.

Shaymin is not easily dealt with by Crobat, if you use an actually decent set with Psychic, the LO set OHKOs crobat on the switch in. If Crocune needs Crobat, another Shaymin Counter, an "omnipresent ground", it's not exactly easy support.

In general, I'm going to agree completely with TPO3 on this. Yes, Suicune can perform a multitude of roles well, but it is outclassed in many of them. Most experienced players are very prepared for Crocune, so it's not a guaranteed winner.
Actually it doesnt. It does heavy damage but its still a 2hko and of course once you get in shaymin has no choice but to switch out of a predicted brave bird and give crobat a free turn to roost. I really dont see how is that too much support specially since the stuff that check suicune are very common in the meta and most team already have answers for them anyway.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.

Who in their right minds keeps Shaymin in and just lets it get mauled by Crobat? Nobody. It's just going to switch out and come back in at a later part of the game. Same with Zapdos, Raikou, etc. This is what makes supporting Suicune so hard: it does not need its counters weakened sufficiently, it needs them completely removed from the game, which is much harder than you're giving it credit for. You can switch Crobat into Shaymin as many times as you want (assuming that Shaymin doesn't carry Psychic, BTW, which has a very high chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.), shaymin is just going to run and hide, potentially nabbing a Synthesis or a Rest later in the game, to make you start all over. Zapdos carries Roost as well. Now for normal sweepers, just forcing them to hide is quite all right. You add up Stealth Rock and possibly Spikes as residual damage, and maybe a little more if you can hit them hard enough as they switch in. For normal sweepers, this is just fine, as they can take Shaymin or Zapdos out when they're sufficiently weakened via raised speed or boosted priority moves. However that is exactly what separates them from Suicune. Suicune does not have the ability to do this; instead you have take them all the way down to 0% health, which is very hard to do, since Shaymin and Zapdos are not pursuit weak, both have a significant amount of bulk, both have instant recovery moves, and both have a wide array of resistances to switch into, and both carry enough of an offensive presence to force switches as they heal themselves up. (Shaymin also has Natural Cure.)

KM

slayification
Actually it doesnt. It does heavy damage but its still a 2hko and of course once you get in shaymin has no choice but to switch out of a predicted brave bird and give crobat a free turn to roost. I really dont see how is that too much support specially since the stuff that check suicune are very common in the meta and most team already have answers for them anyway.

My mistake. I meant that it OHKOs after Stealth Rocks/has a chance to KO if banded crobat. Besides, Shaymin can take a Brave Bird from the stallbreaker set most of the time. It's hardly a failsafe to remove shaymin from the game, at least.

I did use manetric for a bit during the rock-bottom challenge long ago. It is mostly outclassed by both, but having access to lightningrod and being SR neutral are noteworthy points, which is why I'd say D-rank is okay. Otherwise Rotom-H is much better due to typing and bulk. If you're going to use it, I think your team would need it to patch up a serious electric/togekiss weakness (In other words, a big deterrent to those pokes using their electric moves). Choice sets are outclassed by Rotom-H, All out attacker sets by Galvantula.

Ok, so about this whole Suicune thing... The obvious selling point for not boosting it up to A is that Roserade, Shaymin, Raikou, and Zapdos are running around the tier. I've made a list of the 4 main threats Suicune fears, and why they are all threats to be considered.

Roserade- Mauls Suicune with its base 125 Spa, and its Natural Cure allows it to shake off any residual damage from burns that Scald caused.
Shaymin- Seed flare wrecks Suicune, even with a boost. Also, Shaymin can recover any damage taken from Scald burns and Life Orb recoil via Synthesis or Rest. These 2 recovery moves also guarantee that Shaymin will be able to stay alive for Suicune when it comes in late game.
Raikou- Since most people run the SubCM set, I'll use this as an example. Raikou can use Substitute to protect himself from burns, and then start a Calm Mind war with Suicune. If you even have half of a brain, you'll know who wins this one.
Zapdos- Even though Zapdos is the only one that can't protect itself from Suicune's burns in some way, Zapdos can still switch in, threaten Suicune out with a Thunderbolt, and Roost on the switch. Roost also guarantees that Zapdos can stay alive and switch in when Suicune is left.

Now obviously, no one in their right mind would send out Crocune with any of those 4 Pokemon on the opposing side. On the flip side, no half-competent player would leave in their Suicune counter in to die when they see a Suicune on the other side of the field. Roserade's, Shaymin's, and Zapdos' easy recovery options will make sure that they can be there for Suicune, and this is why I feel Suicune should stay down in B. It requires support, and it's not something like Spikes support, where you can set it up yourself. It's support that can only be accomplished if your opponent is stupid and doesn't know much about the metagame. This alone should warrant that Suicune should stay in B rank.

Iminyourcloset

OBJECTION! What do you mean I have a weakness now?!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did you miss the part where I explained its useful niche? Or are you one of those folks who forms an opinion and refuses to listen to reason?

Nothing on this thread (which I've read, by the way) has convinced me that Gligar is somehow not worthy of a B Rank as dictated by the requirements behind the ranking system in the OP. If there's some pokemon that does a better job of taking hits AND shifting momentum than Gligar, I'm all ears. It's a wall that transforms into free setup for another pokemon, if you're any good at using him.

I personally do like gligar, but I'm going to be honest and say that it's fine at C-Rank.
y'know how it walls the supercommon heracross and mienshao? Well, even those two mon's can take on Gligar with ease, with SD and HP ice respectively.
This thread has a lot of talk about gligar: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-stats-may-2013.3484437/

Onto Suicune thoughts, I'm calling it B-rank for what a bunch of people have said. It's threatening, and it's strong, but the fact that its sweep is halted by a bunch of common 'mons just makes it a cut below A-rank. It is useful and dangerous though.

Manectric seems like it's just outclassed by Raikou, and even Rotom-H to an extent. I know it has Flamethrower/Overheat/w/e, but Raikou doesn't need that when he has Calm Mind, with base 115 spatk and speed. Rotom-H loses a chunk of speed, but cool typing plus STAB Overheat give it a couple cool resistances (although admittedly, SR weakness sucks). I don't really see any reason to use it... of any roles it can use, other 'mons do better (I never use it, but Galvantula is faster and has a secondary STAB...I would think it'd be more effective than a failed Raikou clone).

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This thread has been really popular and pretty successful, but now discussion has fallen to really minor changes and discussion has majorly dried up. The metagame hasn't changed at all in months, there's nothing new to discuss. If you have arguments for a big change, post them now and we'll do one final update, then let this topic rest until the metagame shifts (which it may never do).

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I actually think at this point, now that the ranks are almost set, it should be a good idea to be able to do divide the ranks into three sections (ie, Top, Mid and Low), and spark up discussion on dividing the ranks. This could really bring up some discussion on the different levels of viability of Pokemon in same rankings. Just pointing that out there.

I wholly support sub tiering, I actually brought it up a while ago but it didn't really catch on officially on the ranks.

I'm all for sub-tiering, UU is the only tier (except maybe Ubers and LC) that hasn't started sub-tiering yet. It also sparks good debates, I could see a couple of the S-Tier mons being borderline Top-S that could create a good debate on what placement it deserves, this thread has really slowed down

So I talked about it before but here's a replay showing how useful Poliwrath can be:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-39608657

It switches for free into many water types or any Pokemon locked into resists (fighters locked into Stone Edge, electrics locked into HP Ice). Its typing makes it a good answer to stuff like Sharpedo, Escavalier, and Durant and it can set up on many common walls such as the aforementioned bulky waters, Umbreon, and Gligar. Substitute allows it to scout for the opponent trying to switch into water or ghosts types and nail them appropriately and it can sweep whole teams with a few boosts.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Poliwrath needs to be ranked already. Someone brought it up super early in the thread and then I brought it back up again, but no dice. >:l I feel the guy could at least be worthy of a C-Rank at the lowest, that unique fighting type is useful. I mean as a bulky water the defensive set has its limits, but the Sub Bulk Up set can do work in its own right. And everything the guy said above me is pretty relevant, it's not hard to find most pokes in UU for Poliwrath to setup on, I even got it in and went for Substitute on a Blastoise trying to Toxic me and then Focus Punching as he went for Roar, which was basically a free hit. The only bulky water who I've seen to give Poliwrath problems is Slowbro for real. And that's kind of a big deal when you consider the fact that bulky waters in general are often the go-to backup physical walls to check most fighting-types with.

While we're on the subject of bulky water types, I would like to nominate siesmitoad for C-Tier. Yes, it is outclassed by swampert, but it does have a useful trick going for it, water absorb. While swampert lacks any sort of recovery outside of leftovers, Seismitoad can extend it's life by switching in on all the bulky water types in the tier going burn fishing with scald. This also makes it a hard-counter to crocune, who seems to be coming more common. It's bulk and offensive prowess aren't up to tier with swampert, but it can definately hold it's own since they have much of the same move pool, including stealth rocks. It also gets swift swim if you need a backup mon for when kingdra faints, a nice duel stab along with good bulk makes it a threatining sweeper.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OK, That makes since sense since everybody and their mother seems to be running either specs/calm mind raikou. Pairing it with Leech seed is good, so I see it fitting in c-rank with the other mons that require support. It still feels like it comes up short of what it really needs though. It's bulk is rather disapointing, as it's a good defensive type and it looks like it should be bulky as hell, but it's stats let it down. I can't help but have a feeling there's a lot of missed potential in camerupt.
Seriously. Those defensive stats are inferior to Infernape's (Camerupt 70 / 70 / 75 < Infernape 76 / 71 / 71)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have you ever seen a defensive Infernape, tho?
No, I have not.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raikou Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Camerupt: 128-151 (37.2 - 43.89%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Raikou Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Infernape: 132-156 (37.07 - 43.82%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

And I'm not saying that this is AT ALL pragmatically relevant. Typing / tiering / etc.-- I know that those are the factors that ARE pragmatically relevant, in real practice.

I'm just amusedly pointing out we're talking about a special tank set for a poke who is frailer than Infernape.

I was using Seismitoad a few days ago for exactly the reasons KFC brought up and I found it really lacking in bulk. But running some calcs now I realize that I was using the standard NU spread and thus was more specially defensive. I think it is definitely worth investigating, maybe using a Sub Toxic set in order to dodge Toxic from opposing bulky waters?

Also Chou that's funny as hell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)