1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 5 The UU Viability Ranking Thread

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by PK Gaming, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Celever

Celever

Ok just imagine that it does though, at +1:
    +1 252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 175-207 (43.64 - 51.62%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So Quagsire still takes it better and it has Recover to boot.

Not entirely sure whether serious or joking here, but I'm going to pray that this is a joke.
  2. Godsend

Godsend

Yes, the burn part was a joke, but you can't count on it burning. And if it doesn't burn, Quag is still getting 2 hitted by BB. Yeah, Honch is taking a shit load of damage, but it's still accomplished taking out up to three pokemon based on your example. And in most situations Swampert is better for his ability to switch into more offensive threats and be able to threaten with Earthquakes. I'm not saying Quag doesn't have a niche, but in most situations I'd rather Pert.
  3. Moose V

Moose V

Overall, Quag has absolutely no offensive pressure, gives too many things free switch-ins, is an unreliable stealth rock setter and look:
    252 Atk Reckless Mienshao Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 199-235 (50.5 - 59.64%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO
    it gets easily 2 hit by a scarfed mienshao even with maxed out physical defense.
    And it also can't take anything at all on the special side:
    252+ SpA Porygon2 Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 175-207 (44.41 - 52.53%)

If you want to use Quagsire to stop moxie sweepers, that moveslot is better used by something that counters that moxie sweeper in the first place. Let's say your opponent has a LO Honchkrow. True, quag ignores its boosts, but becuase Quag is so frail, you essentially have to give Honch a free kill before sending it in becuase it gets 2HKO'd by Brave Bird.

I agree it may seem on the same level as something like Swampert on paper, but Swampert boasts much better defenses, the ability to hit much harder, a greater variety of viable sets and roar, which gets rid of boosters anyway. In a typical UU battle, quagsire will only very rarely be given a reason to come in, and most of those reasons have u-turn or potential coverage moves to take it down.
    ScraftyIsTheBest and Godsend like this.
  4. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Even if Quagsire manages to switch into something, its lack of any offense or support movepool leaves it with no way to use its momentum. Quagsire is beyond irrelevant, bordering unviable.
    Nozzle and Godsend like this.
  5. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest Screw Water Druddigon
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

[​IMG]
    Nominating Machamp for C-Rank. Machamp struggles to do well in UU because of its speed, and it is simply too slow to compete in this metagame. Machamp is outsped by many threats in this metagame, and is inferior to other Fighting-types because it isn't that bulky. No Guard DynamicPunch is the only thing Machamp has going for it, and that is very luck reliant if Machamp plans to succeed. Faster teams can wear Machamp down pretty easily, and bulkier Pokemon such as Cofagrigus can handle Machamp quite well. No Guard at the same time is also a detriment to Machamp, because it cannot fish for a miss against Pokemon who rely on inaccurate moves like Chandelure, Shaymin, and Mienshao. DynamicPunch is also weaker than Close Combat or Hi Jump Kick. I'd much rather use Mienshao or Heracross for my Fighting-type on most teams because they are much more rewarding, and in general I really don't consider Machamp a choice on most of my teams. I think that Machamp should be RU because of how ineffective it is, though it does get some chances to be annoying, just not that often.

Also, I'm thinking Poliwrath could be on the rankings, maybe in C but no higher, it's a good Pokemon with a cool defensive typing and Circle Throw, walls plenty of threats and is a decent mon overall.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)