Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that Arbok didn't close his eyes when he fell asleep.
That's because the attack animation wasn't finished, so the sleep status wasn't yet applied. If you look at the part after the attack when the camera returns behind Arbok, its eyes are in fact closed.

That's because the attack animation wasn't finished, so the sleep status wasn't yet applied. If you look at the part after the attack when the camera returns behind Arbok, its eyes are in fact closed.
Are his eyes closed, or is the camera angle behind his neck low enough to but his eyes out of sight?
loljk, they close their eyes when sleeping.

I watched the newest trailer again, and something caught my attention. This raises my suspicions as to what Froakie will evolve into, and I wanted to share it with you all using very detailed imagery highlighting what I find important and using charming, reader-oriented language.

I still don't believe the rumor about Froakie being a fighting type, since, thanks to GameFreaks present ninja theming, Poison or Dark would appear to be more fitting, but Froakie becoming a taijutsu-inspired Water/Fighting -mon is even more so within the realm of possibility (to me, anyway)

I noticed that Arbok didn't close his eyes when he fell asleep.
Snakes don't have eyelids.. they have "brille" (Transparent lense-like layers). Still, to be frank, we can't apply real-life logic to Pokemon that much. Maybe if someone would find a wild Arbok and use Hypnosis on it in one of the older games, we can see if Arbok closes its eyes there and settle this matter. But if GameFreak really did apply real-life logic to X&Y, that would show how much mini-details we can expect from the game.

I still don't believe the rumor about Froakie being a fighting type, since, thanks to GameFreaks present ninja theming, Poison or Dark would appear to be more fitting, but Froakie becoming a taijutsu-inspired Water/Fighting -mon is even more so within the realm of possibility (to me, anyway)
Actually, WPM's source initially mentioned that the starter evolutions will be Fire/Psychic, Water/Dark and Grass/Fighting. And days later, they provided the current setup, saying that there was a minor mix up. WPM later figured that they started fabricating some infos to steer clear of Nintendo (Fortunately or unfortunately, Nintendo still shut down the source a week after the initial leak). Maybe their initial rumor is the one that's actually canon.. also notice how it forms a perfect circle too (Fire-Water-Grass and Psychic-Dark-Fighting).

Last edited:
It seems predetermined by everyone that Froakie's final evolution will be Water/Fighting and I would be surprised if it wasn't. If he ended up being a ninja frog it would be great though.

Talking about rumors, here's what I found on /vp/ (Don't worry, it has nothing to do with Generation VI whatsoever). That should put things in perspective regarding how often we can expect X&Y "news".

I would be really disappointed if any of the starters are single type, at this point in pokemon's lifespan single type pokemon just bore me.

Snakes don't have eyelids.. they have "brille" (Transparent lense-like layers). Still, to be frank, we can't apply real-life logic to Pokemon that much. Maybe if someone would find a wild Arbok and use Hypnosis on it in one of the older games, we can see if Arbok closes its eyes there and settle this matter. But if GameFreak really did apply real-life logic to X&Y, that would show how much mini-details we can expect from the game.
... Or what I said is true, since the eyes don't close until after the attack ends in Gen 5

I don't see them wanting to buff Steel defensively even more, and other than Poison I don't see your reasoning here.
In terms of likelyness, I would order them like this.
Poison I won't talk about, obvious.

Grass and Bug: Why would Fairies harm the nature they live in? Also, most Grass- and Bug-types are rarely seen in competitive play and those which are (both VGC and Smogon), have either great abilities or a great secondary typing, so I can see GF wanting to buff those types. However, I can easily see this being mutual in the form of Fairy resisting Grass- and Bug as well.

Normal: Same reason as they are immune to Ghosts; "Normals" don't believe in fairy tales or just a bit; NVE. Normals were also cruel to fairies. Humans were cruel against witches and other supposedly magical creatures - Normal SE against Fairy? Biggest reason not to change it is because GF might not want to change Normal at all, but outside of this, not much of arguing against this reasoning.

Steel is... steel. Fairies despise steel (weakness), and their magic does not affect it as much (resistance). Biggest counter-argument is that GF does not want to give Steel another defensive buff, as you just mentioned, but otherwise, much like with Normals, why not.

Electric: Static fields can block magic. Potential resistance. A bit of a stretch, but something that can be grasped onto if they feel the other Fairy-resists aren't enough.

I also think they don't want to have a repeat of the Dragon-type, so I assume there will be something SE against Fairy that also resists it. Then again, I also doubt Dragon will be the only resistance/immunity of Fairy; I expect at least one or two more resistances unrevealed yet. Fighting, Ghost as well as Grass and Bug, and I have no clue how well Fairy takes Dark attacks (can be anything from SE to a resistance).

Talking about rumors, here's what I found on /vp/ (Don't worry, it has nothing to do with Generation VI whatsoever). That should put things in perspective regarding how often we can expect X&Y "news".
Has anybody made a chart like that for X&Y's reveals so far? It would be interesting to see how much of a "pattern" they're following.

Has anybody made a chart like that for X&Y's reveals so far? It would be interesting to see how much of a "pattern" they're following.
the answer is "ehhhhhhhhhh"

gen 6 likely has fewer pokemon than gen 5 so we get less over all
aside from Orotto we haven't had any pokemon leak out of trailers
XY's reveal started with game names, footage, legends, and starters

etc

fascinating stuff! the timeline for the fourth gen is ridiculous :| can you imagine if they pulled that nowadays?

The charts and their accompanying captions can be found here. The sixth gen's chart hasn't been updated to include Oorotto's leak, I guess the person who made them is waiting for the official art to be revealed.
Oh nice
Though the 5th gen one should probably be updated with the Pokebeach Source
fascinating stuff! the timeline for the fourth gen is ridiculous :| can you imagine if they pulled that nowadays?
iirc, the reason gen 4 took so long was because they were having difficulty adapting to the DS hardware
We didn't even get our first screens

until Weavile was revealed

But yeah it was pretty ridiculous, I remember thinking it was insane how little we knew going into 2006

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also lets take a look at how much things improved from those screens

At some point they clearly realized they could make the sprites much larger, that or they only whipped this stuff up quickly to show people some progress.

Also lets take a look at how much things improved from those screens

At some point they clearly realized they could make the sprites much larger, that or they only whipped this stuff up quickly to show people some progress.
All things considered, its pretty amazing how nice XY looked from day 1 (and it has obviously improved a fair amount since)

I wonder if little projects like Pokedex 3d and Harmoknight helped them get used to the hardware

In terms of likelyness, I would order them like this.
Poison I won't talk about, obvious.

Grass and Bug: Why would Fairies harm the nature they live in? Also, most Grass- and Bug-types are rarely seen in competitive play and those which are (both VGC and Smogon), have either great abilities or a great secondary typing, so I can see GF wanting to buff those types. However, I can easily see this being mutual in the form of Fairy resisting Grass- and Bug as well.

Normal: Same reason as they are immune to Ghosts; "Normals" don't believe in fairy tales or just a bit; NVE. Normals were also cruel to fairies. Humans were cruel against witches and other supposedly magical creatures - Normal SE against Fairy? Biggest reason not to change it is because GF might not want to change Normal at all, but outside of this, not much of arguing against this reasoning.

Steel is... steel. Fairies despise steel (weakness), and their magic does not affect it as much (resistance). Biggest counter-argument is that GF does not want to give Steel another defensive buff, as you just mentioned, but otherwise, much like with Normals, why not.

Electric: Static fields can block magic. Potential resistance. A bit of a stretch, but something that can be grasped onto if they feel the other Fairy-resists aren't enough.

I also think they don't want to have a repeat of the Dragon-type, so I assume there will be something SE against Fairy that also resists it. Then again, I also doubt Dragon will be the only resistance/immunity of Fairy; I expect at least one or two more resistances unrevealed yet. Fighting, Ghost as well as Grass and Bug, and I have no clue how well Fairy takes Dark attacks (can be anything from SE to a resistance).
I agree with this for the most part. However, here's my two cents on this: GF is probably going to want to keep Ghost/Dark as the no-weakness typing, so my theory is that if either Ghost or Dark is weak to Fairy, the other will resist it, probably having Dark weak to it and Ghost resist it. That's just my opinion though, feel free to disregard it.

Actually, WPM's source initially mentioned that the starter evolutions will be Fire/Psychic, Water/Dark and Grass/Fighting. And days later, they provided the current setup, saying that there was a minor mix up. WPM later figured that they started fabricating some infos to steer clear of Nintendo (Fortunately or unfortunately, Nintendo still shut down the source a week after the initial leak). Maybe their initial rumor is the one that's actually canon.. also notice how it forms a perfect circle too (Fire-Water-Grass and Psychic-Dark-Fighting).
The initial report of the typings by WPM was a mistake

the source also posted elsewhere before the whole Pokebeach thing (mentioning the fairy type, draining kiss, etc) and the typings were the corrected versions

also psychic/dark/fighting isn't a perfect circle

The initial report of the typings by WPM was a mistake

the source also posted elsewhere before the whole Pokebeach thing (mentioning the fairy type, draining kiss, etc) and the typings were the corrected versions

I think it would be cool if we had a fairy/steel/fighting circle (assuming the rumors are true)

chespin would be grass/steel

fennekin would be fire/fairy

froakie would be water/fighting

fighting beats steel

steel beats fairy

fairy beats fighting

Yes, but keep in mind that people only arrogantly think so because nobody in their right mind would think to hit a Water type with a Fire type move because it won't accomplish much. To those who don't care, any three types that hit each other super-effectively, regardless of whether they resist each other or not, is a "perfect" circle. This same slip up has happened many times already, you shouldn't mind it too much (even if it IS annoying as all getout)

Froakie, likes like a water/fighting, fennekin, Fire/Psychic, And chespin grass/dark or grass/ground.

I think glow punch should be glow paw
Fennekin does have paw's

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be cool if we had a fairy/steel/fighting circle (assuming the rumors are true)

chespin would be grass/steel

fennekin would be fire/fairy

froakie would be water/fighting

fighting beats steel

steel beats fairy

fairy beats fighting
Could explain glow punch if true. Lol I just support anything to get chespin grass/steel.

Froakie, likes like a water/fighting, fennekin, Fire/Psychic, And chespin grass/dark or grass/ground.

I think glow punch should be glow paw
Fennekin does have paw's
They will be looking to make the name of the attack thematically fit as many Pokémon who will learn it as possible. Besides, it isn't as if dog-like creatures can't throw punches. There's a good reason that the Boxer breed of dog is called a boxer; when they play, they swing their front paws forward in a way that closely resembles a punch in boxing. Dogs and foxes make a similar motion when they need to use one of their front paws for something and have to balance themselves on the other three, so the concept of Fennekin pawing forward in a motion fast enough to harm her opponent (preferably with a glowing/flashing effect thrown in) isn't completely preposterous.

Fire/Psychic, Water/Dark and Grass/Fighting is a perfect circle in the same direction ("Perfect" as in STAB effectiveness and nothing more). Fire & Psychic beat Grass & Fighting. Grass & Fighting beat Water & Dark. Water & Dark beat Fire & Psychic. But I'd much rather have a Fairy/Steel/Fighting circle. Provided it's not "perfect", it is still balanced seeing as how Grass/Steel is a great typing defensively (Also, even if Steel is SE against Fairy, Fire resists it).

About Glow Punch, I'd guess Fennekin will evolve into something bipedal, because almost all punching moves are learned by bipedal mons (Except the weird cases of Wooper and Gastly. Plus Metagross, but in all fairness you can't really tell if it has hands or feet).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)