Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come? According to the main site, the damage formula is

BaseDamage = ((((2 × Level) ÷ 5 + 2) * BasePower * [Sp]Atk) ÷ [Sp]Def) ÷ 50 + 2

It seems to me boosting either the BP or the Attack does the same thing.
My mistake, for whatever reason I had thought the damage formula had a different order of operations.

I'm curious what the fans who drove the fiction of Cubone's origins are going to think now that baby khan is out of the pouch.
I'm thinking the notion of baby Kangaskhan=Cubone is still viable. Thing is, I'm thinking that Cubone is the result of an orphaned baby Kangaskhan (which the baby Kangaskhan of Mega Kangaskhan clearly is not), with the skull and bone club coming from the mother's corpse, and the stunted growth and brown skin a result of not getting the proper nutrients from the mother.

Considering Kangaskhan's movepool is choke-full of 100% accuracy moves, I don't think that really matters.
It could let her use less accurate moves while hoping at least one of them hits (Not very reliable, but still...)

Another question could be if it works will status moves. If so, she could use Work Up to get the very same kind of boost as Growth in the sun. She could double Sleep Talk if she wanted to. The potentially hair-tearing double Roar (Or Circle Throw. It's your choice). Double Spite in order to drain a huge 8 PP from an opponent's important move, and a few other. ChestoRest would be out of the picture, as she Rests, eats the Chesto Berry, wakes up and she Rests again...

Likewise, as I said before, for secondary effects, though she doesn't have many physical moves with such effects. She could use Body Slam and Bite to paraflinch as many opponents as she can (Bite being stronger than Crunch). Crush Claw could potentially lower the opponent's Defense twice in the same turn

What I'm wondering now is how will Protect and Endure work. Their accuracy lowers by half when one of them is used consecutively. It's possible that they could fail when baby Kangaskhan tries to use it after succeeding. I hope Game Freak spots this quickly or MegaKangaskhan could be broken with Protect. Likewise if MegaKangaskhan's Protect fails and baby Kangaskhan uses it

I'm thinking the notion of baby Kangaskhan=Cubone is still viable. Thing is, I'm thinking that Cubone is the result of an orphaned baby Kangaskhan (which the baby Kangaskhan of Mega Kangaskhan clearly is not), with the skull and bone club coming from the mother's corpse, and the stunted growth and brown skin a result of not getting the proper nutrients from the mother.
That assumption is still wrong as cubone has brown eyes and baby kangaskhan has red eyes

Or

Or

Kangaskhan carries around a baby Kangaskhan and when Kangaskhan goes Mega the baby Kangaskhan is the one that goes mega as shown by the baby Kangaskhan going mega and the Cubone = Kangashkan theory is bunk

but nahhhhh definitely the orphaned babies & stunted growth thing

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The more I read about Mega Evolutions, the more I believe they were designed to be overpowered. One after another, they have got top-of-the-shelf abilities (except that one, you know), typing changes, and stat tweaks surely designed to break a hole or two in whatever opposes them. I mean, Kangaskhan attacking twice, and Attack-oriented Lucario with Adaptability? It's as if GameFreak themselves wanted more diversity in Smogon's Uber banlist.

That being said, although the Mega Evolutions are powerful on their own, it doesn't necessarily mean they will turn the tide of every battle. We still don't know their full summoning criteria. They can't hold items. They are limited to one per team, and I guess that there might be other things preventing them from making the rest of their team dead weight. Perhaps they will only work if their trainer are worse off in the battle than the opponent (for instance, having fewer useable Pokémon, or the Mega Pokémon being the last surviving team member, or another equally desperate situation). I think Mega Evolutions will act more like a last ace up the sleeve than a strategy viable on its own. A team relying on the Mega Evolution would have to be well-built to win, or they will be mowed down like grass before a scythe against a prepared opponent.

well the baby is still a baby so it obviously isn't going to be doing the same amount of damage as its fully grown mother. Most likely what'll happen is a small amount of typeless damage will come from the baby after Kangaskhan does her attack, like Life Orb damage or something.

Yea, these knew MEGA-DIGIVOLVE, whoa sorry, I mean these mega forms are a cool & an original idea Gamefreak has come up with... Anyway Mega-Kangaskhan by far has the strongest mega ability (compared with Mega-Mewtwo's ability, which is an injustice). Hopefully we'll see more Mega ubers, who knows, maybe even Mega Arceus. That could explain the shaping of the world with "a thousand arms"-would make a neat Mega form.

.... Am I the only one who thinks Insomnia is actually going to be kind of useful on Megamewtwo? It's probably going to be one of the best Darkrai counters around.

well the baby is still a baby so it obviously isn't going to be doing the same amount of damage as its fully grown mother. Most likely what'll happen is a small amount of typeless damage will come from the baby after Kangaskhan does her attack, like Life Orb damage or something.
Remember that this is a video game we're talking about; there really is no reason to assume that the baby's hit is less powerful just because it's a baby (although doing that would be an obvious way to stop Parental Bond being broken, so it's a MAYBE, but certainly not an OBVIOUSLY). I mean, you could use the same logic to say: "obviously Skitty and Wailord can't breed because one's a small cat and the other's a huge whale...", and yet, in-game, that's not the case.

I'm not saying I expect the damage to be the same amount both times, just...no guarantees.

Also, can we stop with the Digimon references already? The joke went old ages ago...

@ R_N let's just hope the video game doesn't become like the TCG, as in B/W series where the match is won by who has the strongest basic pokemon cards (Mewtwo Ex, Zekrom etc.). I doubt the Mega-forms will be that overpowered though as in Ex/Level X are in the TCG.

The only reason MegaMewtwo has Insomnia is because Mewtwonite is a compressed ball of coffee, orange soda and Pop Rocks. His increased speed is a side effect from infusing caffeine into his body, multiplying out the blood-flow to his head and preventing him from simmering down.
Basically, GOTTA GO FAZDT.

Getting a torchic from the event with mega evolve stone is going to make finishing the game easier than it normally is don't you think?

Maybe Mewtwo learns a move that benefits his ability. We have no idea yet how many new moves are in X & Y and some of them could possibly be signature moves for mega-evolutions. I mean, even though Mewtwo is super OP, why would gamefreak give all of the other mega forms such amazing abilities, and stick Mewtwo with Insomnia? I think it has something to do with a move it'll learn.

So who else is preparing their body for Mega-Weather-teams?

Teams based around weather AND setup for a mega sweep?

Mega Floatzel is going to wreck faces I'm calling it now.

If anybody actually watched the MegaKangaskhan video, the second hit appeared (to me at least) far less powerful in terms of animations, so it seems to me it's going to be a much weaker second hit, maybe half the power. Still, it clearly showed two hits, so I think it will be better than just a 1.5 multiplier, considering secondary effects will appear more often.

If anybody actually watched the MegaKangaskhan video, the second hit appeared (to me at least) far less powerful in terms of animations, so it seems to me it's going to be a much weaker second hit, maybe half the power. Still, it clearly showed two hits, so I think it will be better than just a 1.5 multiplier, considering secondary effects will appear more often.
Because its an ability, It will have the same animations as say, Steel barbs or Rough Skin. We aren't out of the woods yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)