Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking, and reading old Kanga movesets. Now, iirc, Double Edge applies recoil damage to the user. If Baby Kanga uses mini-Double Edge, will both the Pokemon take recoil damage seperately? And if Earthquake hits every non-Levitator, Flying Type, Flyer, Bouncer, and Air Balooner, could Kanga and baby hurt eachother? I think that they will both count as one Pokemon, like Dugtrio, and take the same recoil, and not be effected by seperate Earthquakes. I also think that Megakhan will have higher Speed and Attack because she is helping and letting her baby attack on the field. That's just my opinion. Feel free to bicker lol

I've been thinking, and reading old Kanga movesets. Now, iirc, Double Edge applies recoil damage to the user. If Baby Kanga uses mini-Double Edge, will both the Pokemon take recoil damage seperately? And if Earthquake hits every non-Levitator, Flying Type, Flyer, Bouncer, and Air Balooner, could Kanga and baby hurt eachother? I think that they will both count as one Pokemon, like Dugtrio, and take the same recoil, and not be effected by seperate Earthquakes. I also think that Megakhan will have higher Speed and Attack because she is helping and letting her baby attack on the field. That's just my opinion. Feel free to bicker lol
My assumption is that they'll share everything and be treated as one entity. I think the ability is the only thing that really treats them as separate things but there's still far too much unknown about the mechanics of the ability to know for sure.

If you look at the amount of older pokemon seen in the trailers,You will be able to see that most of them are from kanto and unova the least amount being from sinnoh with just lucario, mamoswine, and ramparados and their evo lines.(sorry none of this is 100% confirmed.)
http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/game/x-y
Check this out for reference.
I've been thinking, and reading old Kanga movesets. Now, iirc, Double Edge applies recoil damage to the user. If Baby Kanga uses mini-Double Edge, will both the Pokemon take recoil damage seperately? And if Earthquake hits every non-Levitator, Flying Type, Flyer, Bouncer, and Air Balooner, could Kanga and baby hurt eachother? I think that they will both count as one Pokemon, like Dugtrio, and take the same recoil, and not be effected by seperate Earthquakes.
I'm thinking one of them will only take recoil damage and not be affected by separate EQuakes.
I also think that the baby will only have half the stats of the mother.

I don't think the baby Kanga will take damage since that would require two HP bar.

Unless the baby Kanga is like an attacking substitute having 1/4 of regular Kanga health, except it won't be taking hit for regular Kanga, just using it for recoil damage until it faints. The sub doll looks like baby Kanga.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
If anybody actually watched the MegaKangaskhan video, the second hit appeared (to me at least) far less powerful in terms of animations, so it seems to me it's going to be a much weaker second hit, maybe half the power. Still, it clearly showed two hits, so I think it will be better than just a 1.5 multiplier, considering secondary effects will appear more often.
Still good for hitting focus sashers and other stuff that would have 1hp left otherwise.

Megatwo with Insomnia cannot safety switch into Darkai because it fears a super-effective stab Dark Pulse. However, Megetwo does beat Lead Darkrai one on one with Aura Sphere. In any case, Insomnia is a much better ability than what Mewtwo currently has.

Now with Megakhan... I know that in the animal kingdom, young animals have to learn how to defend themselves a
Ya... but it still somehow feels like really bad parenting to me =____=

I'm quite looking forward to all the mega's. but I have to wonder what they are going to do with the PGL for pokemon X and Y, because we don't know it's purpose yet (unless I missed something.) annoyingly, I am trying to find a female Eevee on the current one, and 9 times later, I still haven't found one of the female variety. "25% chance." I laugh at you. what ever they do, I hope that I wont have that same problem...

You clearly don't know what the difference is between EV and IV.
Are you fucking serious right now?

I'm saying I want it to be extremely difficult to make perfect Pokemon and harder than it is right now for sure, not easier. I'd be ok with the system being reevaluated a bit but removed? I'd likely quit the game. RNG'ing has already gotten too easy over the past couple of years.

Are you fucking serious right now?

I'm saying I want it to be extremely difficult to make perfect Pokemon and harder than it is right now for sure, not easier. I'd be ok with the system being reevaluated a bit but removed? I'd likely quit the game. RNG'ing has already gotten too easy over the past couple of years.
Making it harder for people to compete on equal footing? Now that's not something I can support.

God forbid you have to put in the work to be good at something.

Running back and forth collecting eggs does require a ton of skill, does it not?

Acquiring good pokemon is a prequisite for getting into battle. Skill comes into play afterwards.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm equating "being good at something" with "skill" here.

Running back and forth collecting eggs does require a ton of skill, does it not?

Acquiring good pokemon is a prequisite for getting into battle. Skill comes into play afterwards.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm equating "being good at something" with "skill" here.
So we should just get rid of the game and beg GF to turn the games in to simulators on cartridges then right? Lets just get rid of the RPG aspect of the game entirely and make it so that no time at all has to be invested to obtain nice things.

So we should just get rid of the game and beg GF to turn the games in to simulators on cartridges then right? Lets just get rid of the RPG aspect of the game entirely and make it so that no time at all has to be invested to obtain nice things.
No, but it could stand to be a less braindead and menial task to enable yourself to compete without gimping yourself.
They have been trying to improve upon this in the more recent entries(Power Item IV passing and such) and I hope they continue to do so.

@ Skitz0phrenic: But why would you want that? As the current system goes, getting pokemon with perfect IVs/ nature/ Hidden Power is ridiculously difficult. I mean, I'd be all for putting in some effort raising pokemon if the whole thing was half-way reasonable. As is though, the game makes it so stupidly hard to get good pokemon that it's practically begging for people to cheat to get the pokes they want. So, if you dislike cheating so much, why not support a new system where getting good pokemon is easier, so people don't cheat and everyone is on an even playing field with everyone else? I mean, everyone would be equal. You wouldn't have to make it that easy either; for example, you could introduce a new item that allows you to directly raise IVs or something, but maybe it's rare. Or something. It's just, for me, the extensive breeding and stuff you have to do requires stupid amounts of time (I'm a masters student at university; I don't have that kind of time :/ ), and actually requires a good bit of luck too.

Ugh, sorry for the off topicness.

Anywho. I am ridiculously excited for Mega Kangaskhan; the fact that it's baby attacks alongside it? Way too cool. Aside from Lucario (who I feel is a bit over-designed, and a bit too evil-looking), I actually really like all of the Megas. I just kind of hope that A; they don't completely ruin the stability of the gen 6 meta and B; that they're not so gimmicky that they're rendered un-usable. I would love GF if they could actually make Absol OU for next gen ;)

No, but it could stand to be a less braindead and menial task to enable yourself to compete without gimping yourself.
They have been trying to improve upon this in the more recent entries(Power Item IV passing and such) and I hope they continue to do so.
Most top players don't breed their own stuff or even know how the RNG system works anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter if you're good at the entire game at the end of the day.

But I agree with you on trying to improve the system. The initial suggestion was to just flat out remove it which makes the entire game more braindead than anything.

@ Skitz0phrenic: But why would you want that? As the current system goes, getting pokemon with perfect IVs/ nature/ Hidden Power is ridiculously difficult. I mean, I'd be all for putting in some effort raising pokemon if the whole thing was half-way reasonable. As is though, the game makes it so stupidly hard to get good pokemon that it's practically begging for people to cheat to get the pokes they want. So, if you dislike cheating so much, why not support a new system where getting good pokemon is easier, so people don't cheat and everyone is on an even playing field with everyone else? I mean, everyone would be equal. You wouldn't have to make it that easy either; for example, you could introduce a new item that allows you to directly raise IVs or something, but maybe it's rare. Or something. It's just, for me, the extensive breeding and stuff you have to do requires stupid amounts of time (I'm a masters student at university; I don't have that kind of time :/ ), and actually requires a good bit of luck too.
Because it's not that hard to RNG perfect pokemon if you know how the system works and how to do it in general. It's become far easier over the past gen then ever before. It used to be very difficult. It's not anymore.

How do we delete posts on this new(ish) forum?

Anyway sorry for dragging the thread off topic. It just really irks me when people want to dumb down half of the game. Battling isn't the only major focus of Pokemon and it shouldn't be treated as such. Simulators exist if you don't want the RPG aspect of the game and you just want instant action.

So, what's the difference between RNG Egg breed abuse and removal of the dumb, random and unnecessary IV system?

RNG breeding is not even "legitimate" in the 1st place. Why not just set every single Pokemon bred/captured to have 31 IVs, so that everyone can just focus on EV training and enjoy an equal 6v6 skill based battle ASAP?

So, what's the difference between RNG Egg breed abuse and removal of the dumb, random and unnecessary IV system?

RNG breeding is not even "legitimate" in the 1st place. Why not just set every single Pokemon bred/captured to have 31 IVs, so that everyone can just focus on EV training and enjoy an equal 6v6 skill based battle ASAP?
Because the main Pokemon games are just as much about raising and training as they are about battling. If you want instant gratification, that's what simulators and the stadium games were for.

I agree that RNG'ing isn't ideal and I would love for the system to be overhauled to be a little more sensible for people that aren't willing to invest the time to understand how it works currently. It could be a lot more interactive and visible than it is for sure and definitely improved upon. I'm by no means saying its currently a perfect system incapable of improvement. I'm saying that removing it or just simply maxing all IVs to 31 instantly does nothing but dumb the game down and even removes some things that impact competitive play such as hidden power trade offs for stat loss or 0 Speed IV trick room Pokemon, etc.

Moving the discussion along, has anyone thought of how great Pokemon could become amazing with Megas? I mean imagine MegaKingdra. That thing would be boss and look awesome. Or the Hitmons if they got Megas?

I'm really hoping for MegaZard, MegaKingdra and MegaMarchamp

So...
Kanto: MegaMewtwo, MegaKangaskhan
Johto: MegaAmpharos
Hoenn: MegaBlaziken, MegaAbsol, MegaMawile
Sinnoh: MegLucario
Unova: N/A
Kalos: N/A

My next predictions/wishlist:
Kanto: MegaJynx, MegaFarfetch'd, MegaLapras
Johto: MegaDunsparce, MegaSmeargle (broken?), MegaGirafarig
Hoenn: MegaSableye, MegaTorkoal, MegaCastform
Sinnoh: MegaLuvdisc, MegaChatot
Unova: MegaStunfisk, MegaHeatmor, MegaDurant
Kalos: N/A

Keep in mind that removing IVs would also change the data structure such that transfers from Gen 5 would be impossible, as well as making Hidden Power completely random meaning that you'd still need breeding ensure that you have both the right nature and the right HP with the right power and no way to influence it. There are upsides and downsides to everything.

Perhaps they could remove IVs on the basis that a) people don't like the fact that the Pokemon they played through the game with can't be used competitively (yes, yes, there are also Natures but they add enough to the game that they should be kept) and b) breeding for IVs is not a fun thing to have in our game. Seriously, it's bad design. Needless grinding. Not engaging at all.

And I like Mega Kangaskhan's design. It's a power boost that makes sense for it and seems minimalistic enough to be a gen 1 design (this was the gen where evolving often meant inviting two of your buddies to hang out with you). As much as I like Mega Ampharos' design, it would get boring if every Mega Pokemon went for the aging rock star look.

It's the ability that has me scared. I guess I'll wait and see what the rest of the game is like before judging, but increased damage and increased secondary chance (assuming it works like that) sounds powerful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)