Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Kangaskhan revealed (Basically a normal Kangaskhan with its baby out, fighting and all). Has the ability Parental Bond, which allows it to move twice in the same turn (Once alone, and once with its baby or something). Oh, the horror. I'm hoping the second-time attack does only half damage or the like.

Perhaps they could remove IVs on the basis that a) people don't like the fact that the Pokemon they played through the game with can't be used competitively (yes, yes, there are also Natures but they add enough to the game that they should be kept) and b) breeding for IVs is not a fun thing to have in our game. Seriously, it's bad design. Needless grinding. Not engaging at all.
As someone who has bred and caught hundreds of RNGs with flawless IVs, I agree completely. The IV system is the absolute worst. Keeping up the "every Pokemon is different" image with the IV system is horrendous as it makes a huge majority of Pokemon worthless. Whatever competitive value would be lost with the IV system (IE, Attack IVs of 0 on Special Attackers to minimize confusion damage, Trick Room stuff like 14 Speed Metagross) is FAR worth a simplification of the system to remove one of the stupidest hinderences from playing on a cartridge.

The nature and EV system are excellent ways of diversifying Pokemon and what roles they can adapt. The IV system does none of this and leads players to doing wacky things like RNG manipulation and even hacking just to get competent Pokemon.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I personally don't mind the IV system, though it could be adjusted so that Hidden Powers are easier to determine (say in a facility or through interacting with a NPC). I think the idea of every Pokemon having the same stats if you get rid of IVs (nature and EVs are really really really easy to manipulate ingame) is just sort of boring, and it's just sort of taking away from the Pokemon being unique. If you want "equal footing" in battles, just play on Showdown.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that removing IVs would also change the data structure such that transfers from Gen 5 would be impossible, as well as making Hidden Power completely random meaning that you'd still need breeding ensure that you have both the right nature and the right HP with the right power and no way to influence it. There are upsides and downsides to everything.
There's the possibility of influencing Hidden Power in other ways that are more transparent. Perhaps a consumable item would allow it to change type. Something like berries so we could have them readily available. There's no reason it needs to be so convoluted. Also, we don't even know if our current Pokemon will transfer to Gen 6 anyway. If those are stuck in the past, I can't see any reason to not change the system.

On a minor note I noticed. Nuzzle's Japanese name translates to Cheek Shock. So I think it's safe to assume this move will be the be available only to Pikachu clones? either way it seems like a superior Thunder Wave (assuming it's 100% accurate of course).

For MegaKhan I am intrigued by the damage calc of the baby if it has the same power or not, because if same power then this is a better huge power.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I personally don't mind the IV system, though it could be adjusted so that Hidden Powers are easier to determine (say in a facility or through interacting with a NPC).
The latter has actually been possible since Platinum.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hidden_power#.22Testing.22_Hidden_Power

It will be interesting to see what other Mega Evolutions will be revealed, for sure, and whether they will all be roughly equally powerful. I suspect this not to be the case (at least upon the extreme scrutinizing we conduct here at Smogon), but the idea is probably that they will all be stronger than most "normal" Pokémon, in order to function as "team captains" of sorts when you're in a struggle. As of today, most Pokémon are simply outclassed in the competitive scene (thus the need for tiers), and I think GameFreak wants to give something to make more Pokémon potentially stand out. That being said, it also means some Pokémon will be even more outclassed, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, and later generations might give them again some time in the limelight.

transferring pokemon wouldn't be a problem if IVs disappeared. you'd just have some junk data that the game would either delete or repurpose for something else. there might be an issue with transferring back, but i don't think so, since it's not like IVs are being recalculated or anything. the new games could just ignore them and keep the data to send the pokemon back to the old ones.

transferring pokemon wouldn't be a problem if IVs disappeared. you'd just have some junk data that the game would either delete or repurpose for something else. there might be an issue with transferring back, but i don't think so, since it's not like IVs are being recalculated or anything. the new games could just ignore them and keep the data to send the pokemon back to the old ones.
The thing is that changing the stats makes it a different Pokemon in a way, eliminating a lot of the point.

But anyway, this is a useless discussion because competitive battlers aren't the primary audience. They're not going to remove a concept that's cool in casual play just to make 1% of the audience happy, especially since it makes difficulty balancing harder in the early game. (It might seem fair at face value, but in reality pretty much all trainers in the first half of the game have minimum stats, and the early game is already the hardest part of the game.) You should just be happy they gave Super Training.

As someone who has bred and caught hundreds of RNGs with flawless IVs, I agree completely. The IV system is the absolute worst. Keeping up the "every Pokemon is different" image with the IV system is horrendous as it makes a huge majority of Pokemon worthless. Whatever competitive value would be lost with the IV system (IE, Attack IVs of 0 on Special Attackers to minimize confusion damage, Trick Room stuff like 14 Speed Metagross) is FAR worth a simplification of the system to remove one of the stupidest hinderences from playing on a cartridge.

The nature and EV system are excellent ways of diversifying Pokemon and what roles they can adapt. The IV system does none of this and leads players to doing wacky things like RNG manipulation and even hacking just to get competent Pokemon.
I agree with you completey (although I think IVs should be kept and merely lose effect on stats so if you have your perfect Hidden Power on a pokemon in GenV and transfer it to GenVI, its hidden power will stay perfect).

Although the lowest speed a level 100 Metagross can reach is 158, and the lowest speed a level 50 Metagross can reach is 81. A level 5 Metagross can have 14 speed though, although a level 5 Metagross is illegitimate.

All this talk about Gamefreak not caring about competitive battlers, and just look at Gen 6. It's probably the most competitive friendly Gen yet. There is a facility for easy EV training, a whole new type meant to balance the meta, and Mega evos which add a whole new level of diversity to battling. (And mega evos could arguably be an attempt to add more pokemon and strategies to the Ubers tier)

This probably isn't all that GameFreak has planned for us competitive battlers, just wait...

Also, on the subject of IV's, what if the pokemon-amie changes raised IV's? I'm calling that lol

Of all the Pokemon I seriously wish that my fave gets Mega Evolution!

Hoping for a Mega Masquerain with its rightfully typing that is Bug/Water and for an ultimate wish gets a buff Drizzle for its ability!

All this talk about Gamefreak not caring about competitive battlers, and just look at Gen 6. It's probably the most competitive friendly Gen yet. There is a facility for easy EV training, a whole new type meant to balance the meta, and Mega evos which add a whole new level of diversity to battling. (And mega evos could arguably be an attempt to add more pokemon and strategies to the Ubers tier)

This probably isn't all that GameFreak has planned for us competitive battlers, just wait...

Also, on the subject of IV's, what if the pokemon-amie changes raised IV's? I'm calling that lol
I'm not saying that they don't care, but rather that they're not going to hurt casual players for us. If they really cared that much about competitive players, they'd just remove EVs and IVs, make all Pokemon start at level 100 with max stats and call it a day.

I cant believe this. I'm gone for one day and suddenly there's an actual intelligent discussion on IVs. I made a thread about getting rid of IVs over on the serebii forums and most of the posts were durp posts. (though there was some discussion to be had) Anyway, allow me to reiterate what I said on there.

IVs are one of the biggest nuisances I've ever seen in a video game. It's quite possibly the biggest hurdle a pokemon gamer has to get over if they ever want to be competitive. It's far to luck based getting good enough IVs in everything let alone getting 31 IVs in the stats you absolutely need. I know you don't need perfect IVs to win games but those missing IVs can mean the biggest difference when it comes right down to it. Me personally, I've started playing competitively during the early years of gen 4. Figuring out IVs and EVs was difficult at first but eventually I figured it all out. EV training was easy. (though it required a lot of memorization and I got the EVs wrong more times than I can count.) IV training was something I could never get into even if I tried. It's not something you can just figure out. It requires a lot of time, work, and even external devices to learn what the IV on your pokemon is let alone influence them. If I didn't have an action replay I don't think I ever would've gotten into the competitive scene without Shoddy Battle. (Pokémon Lab now.) These days, I don't even try to IV train my pokemon. I don't think I could learn RNG even if I tried and doing it legit is to time consuming and luck based.

I really think Game Freak should discard IVs entirely. It's just to much of a wall for any player trying to get competitive to get through.

Each generation has made IV breeding slightly easier, hopefully this generation will improve it enough to actually consider over RNG.

If any of you have played the Sonic Adventure games with Chao, I think something like that would be cool. Basically, they could make so that when a Pokemon evolves, hits level 50, or hits level 100, whichever stat has had the most EV training recently would gain 5-10 more IVs. In addition, a child's IVs would be entirely based on the parents' IVs (though without the hidden original genetics factor). Something like that would greatly lessen the RNG factor.

If anything, it needs a typing buff and a stat buff.
As I think getting a typing and stat buff by means of evolution is unlikely than getting a Mega Evolution. At least both its type, stat and ability could get revamped and much more improved..

Like Ampharos it became Electric/Dragon and gets Mold Breaker a d the likely boost in its certain stat thanks to Mega Evolution..

I'm hoping Masquerain gets the same treatment and be Bug/Water to get stab for its water moves and Drizzle for its ability.

I've always consider that Volcanora is Masquerain's missed counterpart..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)