How did you find Smogon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the link to download Netbattle from one of the (poor) competitive battling guides on GameFAQS a few years ago...and like any first time user would I went to the most populated server.

I first heard of It on GameFAQs. I found the guides and some articles to be really helpful, but then I heard the Smogon forums had a lot of people with.. short fuse, If that can be said, so I made an account to lurk once in while or so, but then I started to get pissed with all the stupid fads and all that crap on GF, so I came here. Pretty story.

I was originally just a part of Game FAQs, and this one guy posted a link to Smogon for an Abomasnow moveset for someone else's Hail team.

I looked around and was like fuck Game FAQs.

^_^

And I have a ridiculous post count for joining like a week and a half ago...D:

And I have a ridiculous post count for joining like a week and a half ago...D:
I hadn't noticed.

on topic: Found this place awhile ago though I didn't intend to join, a few of my friends from another Pokemon forum are here though so I figure I may as well join and stay in touch.

And btw the links in my sig do indeed go to another pokemon sight but i'm lazy atm to go and search for something different, I'll eventually change it so don't hound me about it.

~Isaiah

How I first started playing pokemon:

I started by watching the anime in 2000 or something then our(me and my bro's) friend bought each of us three a GBC and bought me Pokemon Blue and my Bro Yellow and him Red, then i started playing and we decided to make a challenge, we all level up to 70 and then battle. I ended up winning, but for some reason my Blue stopped working.

How I started battling online/How I found out about Smogon:

My bro then let me take his yellow because he got bored(he's sirus the virus now) then i saw him on GFaqs, i asked about it but he didn't tell me anything, at like 2001 he started playing NB and whenever i wanted to play he didn't let me, at 2003 i played my first game and loved it, i still sucked though, a couple of years later i started learning about strategy and went to Gamefaqs, at 2006 i actually got good, later on i found out about Smogon and joined, now i play NB most of the time(i mainly play RPGs though)

if anyone minds me being here blame my brother, XD

How I first started playing Pokemon:
I was first into Pokemon when I watched the anime (yes, I'm one of those guys), and I first played PKMN Red and Blue when my dad had the ROMs for those games on his compy (he also had a Japanese PKMN Gold). Then the PKMN games kinda faded from my interests until I found PKMN Ruby at a pawnshop a couple years ago. I instantly fell in love with the series again.

How I first started netbattling/discovered Smogon:
At one of the sites I go to, Sonic Cage Dome, eveyone LOVES netbattling. After I lost a couple matches (I'm not the best trainer, you know), AeroGP (he's a member here, and a mod at SCD) showed me Smogon, where I learned some good movesets for my PKMN.

~Nick

i mess around on serebii .. nsider.. and some other poke forums and ended up here...

it seems to be the best place for serious players so i think ill stay

I can't really remember, but it was probably when I picked up a red cart in October or whenever with a couple of my friends and recaught the pokemon bug. It was pretty cool making sprites and stuff for a bit, but since I didn't have the games I didn't hang around.

But now D/P are preordered and on their way (living in Britain sucks from time to time - cf release dates) and I'm back.

Edit: Smogon tells me it was in January last year. I've been here for a year and a half? Time flies when you're having fun.

Through the links on the bottom of every wikipedia pokemon article. I think the one I clicked was on the Drifblim article.

I read about NB somewhere and looked it up on wikipedia.On that page there was a link to smogon and pokérealm.I looked at both and judged it to be better.

While no one cares about me (for now, that is; I have a big tendency to make myself famous -or infamous-around forums, and stay on them for a long time), I'll tell you my tale.
Pokemon!
Meh. I found a Sapphire on the floor once, and took it. Played it, got hooked, and stuff. Then, I had other things to play with my friends, mostly Megaman: Battle Network. With Battle Network I got on GameFAQs, where I would stay on until my alternatehistory.com/Smogon escapades. I had Emerald, and got the farthest in completing my Dex there until Diamond. I had no clue about any of the old pokes... I lost Emerald, was disinterested in the SP, except for 3-4 month burst of Megaman playing. SSBM I got hooked on... I got a DS, went on GameFAQs Smash boards, but lost interest and needed to statisfy my alternate history thirst. I was there 6 months, but D/P got me hooked, so I went on GFAQs and Serebii, and got here. I will be here a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)