How did you find Smogon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to go on Serebii a lot, but it was hard to get on the forums because there's so many users there now. I was looking at the RMT forum and I saw someone talking about smogon, so I decided to check it out. So I came here and signed up. Never had any good IVed pokemon till I came here, and when I go back to serebii and look at the trade forum it's odd because there's usually no IVs listed.

Back in the advance days I used to check the analysis, read up, etc. So that's how I found it originally. Then it went down, and I hadn't joined the forums so I thought it was down. Anyway, then someone linked the forums and I joined. It's a hell of a lot better than GameFAQs, that's for sure.

Way back in the day, when #pokegsc, #neodome and #battlearena or whatever it was called was alive and kicking on Media Driven. I remember trolling mediadriven a lot with chaos and kakky. It was fun.

Well i dont even remember how i started playing pokemon, i probably got the game because i liked the cards or because my friends got them too. i first heard about smogon when i was in grade nine from this guy i met in high school.

How I first started playing Pokemon and How I found out about Smogon:

Well i found out about pokemon in Kindergarden :/
It came on Tv and quickly became popular.
Me and my friends were into their cards and soon Red and Blue come out.
So basically I grew up with Pokemon .-. Later I went to Pokemon RPGs. In one of their Forums they mensioned Netbattle. I made a friend there too. I battled him alot and soon he told me about Smogon.

I post on the pokemon boards at IGN (ben242000) and GameFAQS (Brahma Bull The Rock-yes, don't make names like this people and then lose interest) and often saw "who wants to battle?" threads with 'smogon rules.' I typed smogon.com in and bam, found this place.

I actually remember netbattling for a little while back in the day, but I don't know where I did it.

How I first started playing pokemon:

I got Red before it was hugely popular, started with Charizard (duh!). Quite a few friends had it, but not many were more than casual/noobish players. Had some success battling friends with a Charizard, Raichu, Gyarados, Alakazam, Dewgong, and Pidgeot. (Yah, but back in RBY, no real competitive scene, I was sweet....lol.) Uh, Yellow was awesome, I was a huge Pikachu fan. Played that forever. Silver next, beat it once, Typhlosion rocked. Sapphire, first time through, Swampert. Emerald: huge Sceptile fan. Diamond, well, Empoleon looks cool... But I think it was the toughest out of the starters to beat the game with (it's all relative, the game ain't hard, anyway).

How I started battling online/How I found out about Smogon:

Battling online: Waiting for competitor to get my feet wet. Smogon: Been lurking for a few months. Really started playing/training competitively December 2006- getting Emerald for myself for Christmas. I had Sapphire, but ebayed it because nobody I knew played at my level (everyone else's highest achievement was beating the E4 over, and over, and over...). Found smogon while googling different pokemon tips, movesets, EV training places, ect...

When I was new to NB, I always found Smogon on top of all servers. I always chose to go there, and learned how to play and how to build teams. I was Dark Magician in the server. Anyways, I like Smogon and the way it was hosted / has been. That is why I miss it, when it is down. I can't be fucked to enter a random Brazilian server just because they have 50 ppls in it. And servers like Pokerealm, meh.

Kamikaze

My brother got me Blue for Christmas when I was 6. I played it straighed all day, mad a level 23 Ivysaur when I fought Brock. I remember repeatedly using Tackle on Lance's Dragonite (yes, I kept it on for some reason), and then Lance used a Full Restore -_-. Otherwise, lots of fun it was with friends and whatnot.

A friend was a big IGN fan, and I a big gamefaqs fan. He got into the bots, and eventually got me into it. Of course, I went through an incredibly long n00bish faze (used an "unbeatable" shedinja team for ages), which took over a year to wear off. Most notably, CanofTuna was the main reason I ever got out of that stage. He instructed me, taught me, fought me, etc. Eventually we battled (I still have the log), and I beat him. The climax of my battling skill to date was about a week after that - one of the #gfaqs mods was pissy and started randomly kicking people (me included), so I decided to press my luck and make a challenge. I asked if we could set up a little challenge thing - that if I could beat three of the other mods there, I'd be let back in. First off was Mewthree, I won 3-0. Second was Tenchi, I got him down to two pokes to my three, and he/she/it got mad and stopped the whole thing. *shrug* Not trying to say anything bad about anyone here; I've lost almost all of the skill I had then. Ah well.

Good Lord, there was a time I didn't know of Smogon?

It was some time ago, but I can recall a time I actually relied on that moveset FAQ on GameFAQs...

I practically build my teams from scratch now-a-days.

haha, funny story.
used gamefaqs alot
came upon the infamous movest of the "McIcegar"
saw it was made by mgraw.
instanly knew he must be good
googled him
and there you go
smogon! the best find i made

I was at the Netbattle Forums about a month after the current Smogon started. Then I realized everyone was there, so I went there. I kept active in the Netbattle Forums as well, but once that went under, I stayed here for good.

In like Kindergarten, the show just aired and it became popular as all hell. It compelled me to buy Pokemon Blue, and I loved it as soon as I got it. I never even used to know what TMs were, so I always used Level Up moves. I sucked lol, but it was so much fun, especially when I played with my best friend. We got addicted to finding glitches when we were in like the 2nd-3rd grade.

During the 3rd gen, I joined Gamefaqs, and I sucked. I only used level up moves on my pokes, which I now look back on and laugh. I got linked to an analysis for 3rd Gen on Smogon, and I started learning so much. Then I joined the forums in 2004, as some username that I forgot lol. Then in 2006, in November, I got Pokemon Emerald, and that was the first game in which I learned to make good movesets and predict, thanks to Smogon. In July 2006, I joined Smogon as Discord, and that's how I got introduced into competitive battling. Now I'm actually good at making a team in pearl version.

I found Smogon in my back pocket. Which is funny, cause I never put anything in there. Always use the front pockets.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I actually don't know, I guess someone must have invited me, anyone know?
It was on that one reincarnation of Uber when Dweedle and the other guys were all talking about. We all got linked over at about the same time, except you posted regularly and I didn't for about a month.

Every pokemon forum I've been to talks about smogon. I've known about it for years. I've gotten more into competative battling than I used to be so I decided to post.

Someone on GameFAQs posted a link to one of the D/P analyses. I looked at it and thought "Wow, they know what they're talking about."

I decided to join a while after that.

I found Smogon through a link someone posted on Gamefaqs about a month ago

I've been lurking here ever since

Now I want to join

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)