Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the topic, it would be awesome if the original Mewtwo (The one Giovanni created) made a return to the game. I just don't understand why they went on and created a new Mewtwo and gave it a new backstory when they already have a great character and backstory (Although it's the dropped AmberTwo arc) in the old Mewtwo.

you can always choose not to do it and besides they were already straightforward about how your gonna unlock it
>>Dominant Strategy<<

Only those select few players who want to challenge themselves would pass up using the mega. I also seriously doubt there was a meeting that went like this:
"Couldn't they smash through with mega evolutions?"
"Only if they're jerks who want to win easily. You're a jerk Takeshi, so only you would think of that."
"Well I mean, it's there so..."
"REAL FANS WOULDN'T DO IT!"

I'm 90% certain that all gym leaders will use mega evolutions after you gain access to them.

Last edited:
I just wanted to ask but does anyone else think that mega-evolutions will only be usable post-e4? I'm sure Gamefreak could do that. Or, possibly, do you think they might make it that you need a certain number of badges to control mega-evolutions, like traded Pokemon?
Also, purely based on the fact that several legendaries and starter Pokemon from regions other than Kalos have been featured in trailers, and that the first special event is for a Torchic, do you think that Game Freak may be doing away with the Regional Pokedex all together and just have every Pokemon in the Kalos dex? Remember, the Kalos dex is split into three.
Mega Pokemon are already slightly inaccessible without changing anything. A few of them require being leveled in their 30s before reaching their final form.

For the ones that evolve based on Friendship, or don't evolve at all, you simply make them inaccessible until the later part of the game. You can also have the Mega Stone inaccessible until later or after you beat the game.

Yeah. I don't know why gamefreak would implement this relatively big item yet make it so that you can not obtain the item in regular game play. The fact that the game must be balanced without mega-pokemon makes me think that it will be highly unlikely to battle NPCs who have Mega-Pokemon.

I just wanted to ask but does anyone else think that mega-evolutions will only be usable post-e4? I'm sure Gamefreak could do that. Or, possibly, do you think they might make it that you need a certain number of badges to control mega-evolutions, like traded Pokemon?
Also, purely based on the fact that several legendaries and starter Pokemon from regions other than Kalos have been featured in trailers, and that the first special event is for a Torchic, do you think that Game Freak may be doing away with the Regional Pokedex all together and just have every Pokemon in the Kalos dex? Remember, the Kalos dex is split into three.
I don't know about when mega evos will be accsesseble but I like the part about having all pokemon available in the game.But then what will be the use of trading?I would have loved it if it was true but it is too good to be true.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

This was already mentioned here, I think. Just something with more colors.
As fun as that looks, I'm moreorless cynical about the whole thing since Pokemon fans are known for jumping the train with only-coincidental patterns (some of which only happened once) and predictions. They'll just give megaevolutions to some Pokemon just because (I mean, Mawile, right?).

Also the description of the gods are so vague (and there are SO MANY GODS in general) that it honestly does not matter what Pokemon were showcased, you could fit them to it.

If you tried hard enough you could probably fit Roman or Greek gods into it and lose nothing.

Also the description of the gods are so vague (and there are SO MANY GODS in general) that it honestly does not matter what Pokemon were showcased, you could fit them to it.

If you tried hard enough you could probably fit Roman or Greek gods into it and lose nothing.
I think the Nordic Gods theory became popular because their was already a popular Nordic mythology theory surrounding the box legends.

I think the Nordic Gods theory became popular because their was already a popular Nordic mythology theory surrounding the box legends.
That is exactly why, yes, but I guess what I'm saying is that when your "evidence" is just the most vague description in the world it kind of loses any meaning.

I mean, seriously, Ampharos is Thor because electricity?
That's it?
It's not even specific to Ampharos, any electric type mega would meet that description.
Same with Blaziken being Surtr.

Why is Mewtwo, specifically, the one about power. ALL these Pokemon are about an increase in power. Mawile gets Huge Power and Lucario gets an Attack increase, adaptability and had the power of his Close Combat showcased

Now that you mention it, Mega Evolution seems like something Dr. Colress would create.
If Colress has ANYTHING (even if minor role) has to do with this I am gonna jizz. In fact just seeing him in Kalos would be awesome. (as you could've guessed he is one of my favorite characters).

As for the whole Nordic god thing, while it is people they drew some inspiration, I doubt it honestly, like R_N said it's too vague and anything can be made fit to anything. I mean come on you could say Raichu is based on Thor simply because of the thunder, or Zoroark is based on Loki because of illusions/mischief..etc..etc.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Where does Kangha fit into the Nordic God theory?

Where will the inevitable future mega evolutions fit into this too?

Actually, there already is one. Fortuna is a Roman goddess, and is in no way affiliated with the Norse pantheon.

Also, Surtr is a Jötun, which is a giant and definitely not one of the Æsir. Also, he has very little to do with fire. While he does guard Muspell, a land described as fiery, the fires are not of his own creation. While he does fight Freyr while fires burn the world, that's kind of a general Ragnarok thing and again not his doing.

As for Forseti, I believe he's more of a mediator than a real justiciar. Tyr would have fit better, if one were to run with the justice theme, but I don't believe either have the capability to read minds. (As far as gods go, the Norse pantheon is perhaps the least omniscient amongst Western polytheistic religions.)

It's been a while since I've read the Edda translations, but this kind of mindless association makes no sense. They could have at least picked 6 random Norse figures who are also gods when trying to connect six of the Mega Evolutions to freaking Norse gods.

EDIT: And what the fuck does the yin-yang theme have to do with chance or Roman goddesses? I just noticed that, and that- whoops, I'm getting mad at people being wrong on the internet. Time to chill.

Actually, there already is one. Fortuna is a Roman goddess, and is in no way affiliated with the Norse pantheon.

Also, Surtr is a Jötun, which is a giant and definitely not one of the Æsir. Also, he has very little to do with fire. While he does guard Muspell, a land described as fiery, the fires are not of his own creation. While he does fight Freyr while fires burn the world, that's kind of a general Ragnarok thing and again not his doing.

As for Forseti, I believe he's more of a mediator than a real justiciar. Tyr would have fit better, if one were to run with the justice theme, but I don't believe either have the capability to read minds. (As far as gods go, the Norse pantheon is perhaps the least omniscient amongst Western polytheistic religions.)

It's been a while since I've read the Edda translations, but this kind of mindless association makes no sense. They could have at least picked 6 random Norse figures who are also gods when trying to connect six of the Mega Evolutions to freaking Norse gods.

EDIT: And what the fuck does the yin-yang theme have to do with chance or Roman goddesses? I just noticed that, and that- whoops, I'm getting mad at people being wrong on the internet. Time to chill.
If I remember rightly, Surtr is at least partially responsible for the fires of Ragnarok, because he has a flaming sword that scatters flames as he swings it (I think...well at any rate, he has a flaming sword), but yes, he is definitely not a deity and the theory is pretty ridiculous.

Now, could someone remind me which figure from Norse mythology Yveltal was supposed to resemble? Because I can't think of anyone/anything from the myths that resembles him at all...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^That was some bird (Vidofnir) sitting at the top of Yggdrasil, the world tree. However, that bird (sometimes portrayed as an eagle, a rooster or a falcon) isn't exactly what you'd expect Yveltal to be like. To quote Wikipedia:

"As a virtually immortal guard, he watches over the integrity of this world. He is generally a symbol of sun and fire. His crowing at dawn stands for vigilance and for the victory of light over darkness. Thus he is a symbol of a returning life, and is considered among the Germans as a spiritual guide."

Some might argue that this is so close to the exact opposite of Yveltal that there has to be a link, in which case I call BS and point out that Ho-oh might as well be based on it.

If Colress has ANYTHING (even if minor role) has to do with this I am gonna jizz. In fact just seeing him in Kalos would be awesome. (as you could've guessed he is one of my favorite characters).

As for the whole Nordic god thing, while it is people they drew some inspiration, I doubt it honestly, like R_N said it's too vague and anything can be made fit to anything. I mean come on you could say Raichu is based on Thor simply because of the thunder, or Zoroark is based on Loki because of illusions/mischief..etc..etc.
Well, they did end Colress off as both a good guy and a researcher. I'm sure they'd be able to bring him back.

^That was some bird (Vidofnir) sitting at the top of Yggdrasil, the world tree. However, that bird (sometimes portrayed as an eagle, a rooster or a falcon) isn't exactly what you'd expect Yveltal to be like. To quote Wikipedia:

"As a virtually immortal guard, he watches over the integrity of this world. He is generally a symbol of sun and fire. His crowing at dawn stands for vigilance and for the victory of light over darkness. Thus he is a symbol of a returning life, and is considered among the Germans as a spiritual guide."

Some might argue that this is so close to the exact opposite of Yveltal that there has to be a link, in which case I call BS and point out that Ho-oh might as well be based on it.
The birds in many Eurasian mythos' are famed to be entities of enlightenment, wisdom and spiritual guidance.
Food for thought, in case someone was thinking of going out and looking for a new set of mythology that had an importance placed around a deer and a bird.
Also, the weird thing about destruction myths is that most of them involve floods. There aren't many fabled tales of great destruction that an avian could cause, so the exact origin is kind of a pain to find.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, it doesn't *have* to have a single source. Reshiram is a... wyvern??? and the whole Tao Trio is based on Yin-Yang. Xerneas and Yveltal might as well be based on Vidofnir and Yggdrasil's stags, but have another completely different inspiration for their design.

Really though, all of the legendaries are varied in their inspiration. Who else but Game Freak would have imagined making Izanami and Izanagi into dragon/dinosaurs? They made a point about Reshiram and Zekrom's tails, since jets and turbines were meant to be an important part of their respective designs, on top of being different dragons who represent Taoism together. I just don't see enough evidence going for the Nordic theories to be the basis of our legendaries. I believe that the have their artistic inspiration from other origins, but I don't want to completely discredit anything until we know more about their fluff/flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)