Lake of rage ( Rain offence)

Intro:
Hey there everyone! I'm with another RMT. I have been making quite a few rain team's that i didn't showcase, but i really like this one the most since i don't like stall at all. This team was made around gyarados ( hence the title) which is a rain sweeper that i have never used so far but it does some work. I hope you could take the time to read this RMT. p.s: there is no flashy or special sprites here.
TeamBuilding:

Since i'm making a rain team, of course politoed would be the first member.

Now of course, since this a rain offence, there should be a rain sweeper. There are many out there but i had to choose gyarados since he's a great check to sun team's.

I've noticed that Rotom-W is one of those poke's that stop's gyarados from sweeping. So i decided to add in lum berry Breloom to deal with rotom-W and jellicent.

Next i needed an offensive Stealth rock user, so i went for dugtrio as he could beat trap and beat weather inducers.

Now by no means dugtrio wasn't useful, ( He was really useful when i did some battles) I was just too thundurus-T weak. So i added mamoswine. I wont be able to trap tyranitar/ninetales anymore, but mamoswine could still beat them, thundurus-T, knock off alakazam's focus sash, and still set up the rocks.

Now i was noticing that none of my pokemon ( not even breloom) would want to be put to sleep. So i went for specs latios as my sleep inducer. Gyarados would also like the nuking power of specs latios so gyarados can have an easier time sweeping.

My team really hates skarmory that can set up hazards on my breloom, and mamoswine. So i chose jirachi as i could have a dragon resist, and also beat custap lead skarmory with psyshock/thunder.
In depth:

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVS: 252 spe / 252 spA / 4 HP
Timid Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Ice beam
-Focus Blast
-Encore
Well, obviously you can't make a rain team without politoed. I went for the scarf version since my team benefit's from it. With encore+ scarf, politoed can shutdown many sweepers by encoring them into a stat boosted move such as DD dragonite. He may not be the best revenge killer, but by no mean's he is the worst either. Hydro pump in the rain hits things like a truck and it's also his STAB move. Surf could be another option but i would be missing out a lot of KOes. Ice beam allows him to revenge kill specific dragon types such as DD dragonite. Focus blast or psychic could really work for him but i like to go with focus blast since jirachi can deal with toxicroak. The EV spread is pretty standard so i don't have much to say about it.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVS: 168 spe / 248 atk / 88 HP / 4 def
Jolly nature
-Waterfall
-Bounce
-Dragon dance
-Subsitute
As i said before, there are many rain sweeper that i could choose from, but i had to go with gyarados. One of the main reason's why i went for gyarados is that he could check sun team's pretty hard which i always had a problem dealing with. Another thing is he could beat tyranitar and keldeo (if it doesn't have HP electric). Anyways, Waterfall is one of his STAB move. Just like hydro pump, it could hit things like a truck if he's under the rain. Bounce is his other STAB move. I alway's loved how people thing that ferrothorn can switch into a +1 bounce. Dragon dance makes gyarados an effective late game sweeper. The EV spread is pretty standard. 168 spe EV's allows me to outspeed jolly breloom.

Breloom @ Lum berry
Trait: Technician
EVS: 252 Spe / 252 atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Bullet seed
-Mach punch
-Sword dance
-Spore
Rotom-W is one of those pokemon's that could easily stop gyarados from sweeping. So i went for lum berry breloom. I went for lum berry> life orb because that makes breloom have an easier time switching into Jellicent and rotom-W. Another idea was going for the focus sash or Fighting gem, it seems that lum berry breloom seems more efficient. Breloom can also beat tyranitar. Bullet seed is one of his STAB moves what else is there to say about it? Mach punch is his other STAB move as mach punch and bullet seed are both powered up via technician. There isn't really much to say about Sword dance and spore as there on almost all brelooms. The EV spread is also standard.

Mamoswine @ Life orb
Trait: Thick fat
EVS: 252 spe / 252 atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Ice shard
-Icicle spear
-Stealth rocks
Here is my 4th member: Mamoswine. Gyarados would love the extra hazard damage that stealth rocks provides. Dugtrio was originally here, but there was a couple reasons why i chose mamoswine over dugtrio. One of the reasons is that mamoswine can beat lead breloom's. Another thing is that mamoswine has access to ice shard which makes him a great dragon killer, and last but not least he can beat thundurus-T. Mamoswine can also beat tyranitar and ninetales ( even though my team will miss the trapping capabilities of dugtrio). Earthquake is his main STAB move. Ice shard is a nice priority move to have since he could break of alakazam's focus sash and revenge kill dragon pokes. Icicle spear allows mamoswine to beat focus sashed breloom. The EV spread is pretty straight forward, 252 spe allows me to outspeed jolly breloom and timid venusaur.

Latios @ Choice specs
Trait: Levitate
EVS: 252 spe / 252 spA / 4 HP
Timid nature
-Draco meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf
-Sleep talk
Here is my 5th member: Latios. He is my sleep inducer. I decided to go for the specs set since gyarados would love the nuking power that latios carries. Usually, i would prefer latias over latios, but the power of specs latios was too good to be passed up. Draco meteor is his main STAB move. Specs+draco meteor hit's things like a truck ( i said this 3 times x.x). Psyshock allows him to deal alot of damage to keldeo, toxicroak, and blissey/chansey. Surf give's latios decent coverage aswell getting rain boosted. Sleep talk is a nice move to have since it allows latios to switch into breloom so i can have a sleep immunity which is always nice.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVS: 148 spe / 252 HP / 108 def
Timid Nature
-Calm mind
-Thunder
-Psyshock
-Substitute
And here is a classic final member: Jirachi. I am using the classic set: SubCM jirachi. This guy saved me a couple times from sticky situations. With psyshock+ thunder, jirachi could beat custap berry skarmory and only allowing him to get up Stealth rocks. Psyshock is jirachi's main STAB move. I went for psyshock> psychic so i could beat blissey/chansey that likes to switch into subCM jirachi. Thunder allows jirachi to hit starmie, gyarados,skarmory, and jellicent. It is also nice to have a good chance to paralyze the opposing pokemon. 148 Spe EVS allows jirachi to outspeed neutral based 100's. 108 def allows jirachi to take physical hits (mainly terrakion) more better.
Conclusion:
Well, thats all i've got to say about this team. Please let me know of what to change as all changes will be considered. Thank you for taking a look at my RMT^^.

Threats:

This thing is a HUGE pain to deal with since his mixed set is really dangerous. As long i get a free switch into latios, then i could be fine.

Nothing really safely switches into a starmie.

Importable:
Code:
Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Encore

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 168 Spd / 248 Atk / 88 HP / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Breloom @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Sleep Talk

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Spd / 108 Def
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Substitute

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey RiskVsRewardPlayer, cool rain offense team!

Your team really wants to clear the way for Gyarados to sweep. Naturally, that means you have problems with physical walls like Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Your team should be attempting to overload these walls (which you do nicely with Mamo+Breloom+Gyara!), but it should also try to lure them in for the KO. Because of this, I would change Breloom to a Technician Focus Punch set. With a Fighting Gem, Breloom can lure in Skarmory, Latias, Latios, Dragonite, and other threatening Pokémon and get an effective "OHKO" with Focus Punch + Mach Punch. With Skarmory out of the way, Gyarados, Mamoswine, and even Latios will have an easier time. I know you're using Lum to help beta Rotom-W, but Gyarados doesn't actually have that hard of a time with Rotom-W. Every time it comes in it has to switch out because of Volt Switch, which means you can easily just Substitute as it Volt Switches, meaning Rotom will have to come into hazards and possible Waterfalls again later in the match. I think it's more important to take out Skarmory and the like instead.

Also, I wouldn't normally recommend Scarf Latios, but it does help you deal with Skarmory and Kyurem-B better, since it can OHKO both with Draco Meteor. Be careful of Substitute Kyurem-B, though.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Good luck with the team! Hope I was able to help.

Breloom @ Fighting Gem
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch
- Spore

Hey there @RiskVsRewardPlayer very nice Rain offense team. As you do mention Starmie and Mixed Sub Kyurem-B can pose a pretty big issue for your team since no one on your team can safely switch-in to either one. Thundurus-T can be a nuisance for you, though its normal for a rain team to have this issue but it does need to be addressed. The reason Thundurus-T can be an issue for you is that if its the Double Dance set and your Mamoswine is gone you are likely going to lose as once it gets to plus +2 SpA +2 Spd it powers through your whole team.

To help patch up these issues I would change your current SubCM Jirachi to the Superachi set. This gives you a better way to deal with Kyurem-Black since you would be faster and can take a hit and OHKO it with a Flash Cannon after SR damage. Grass Knot and Flash Cannon will allow you to 2HKO both Hippowdon and Tyranitar respectively without any CM boosts. Thunder can be used over Psyshock to get past Skarmory for Gyarados to be able to sweep and limit it to as few hazards as possible. The EVs are enough to outspeed Standard Sub KyuBlack with Max Special and the rest goes in HP. You can opt to use a speed boosting nature over Modest to save some EVs and be able to dump in HP for increased bulk but this is your choice for whatever you feel plays better for you though I should mention the power loss is pretty noticable.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot

or

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock / Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Grass Knot

Next thing I would suggest is using Specs Latias over Specs Latios. As you said you can really switchin to Starmie as it really hurts taking a hit from it. Latias has better overall bulk then Latios does and for case I feel like Latias can help you out more then Latios to deal with Thundurus and Starmie. You won't lose sleep fodder with this change as Latias also learn Sleep Talk to be able to absord Spore and beat Breloom and Venusaur if it ever came to that point. The lose of power is something you can get by without and honestly I think being able to deal with Thundurus and Starmie holds a higher priority here, since the bulk that Latias brings to the table will help you more in the long run.

Latias @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Sleep Talk

That's really all I have for you right now. I hope this helped you and good luck with the team. If you need more help feel free to ask.

~Subject 18~

Thanks for the rate^^. I've never used the superrachi set before so i will give it a try. I will also try out Specs latias.

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Hey RiskVsReward, thanks for the request! This is a pretty solid team but there are a some threats, notably the ones that you have mentioned in Kyurem-B and Starmie that give your team a lot of trouble. I can also see Scarf Rotom-W being problematic since it can outspeed Gyarados at +1 with your current set and it outspeeds your entire team, being able to do good damage to every member besides Latios.

To me it seems like these problems stem from your team being too slow to go all out offensive with no recovery. Any scarfed poke is going to put major pressure on you since your whole team is outsped by it and you will be forced to take a hit with something which is eventually going to add up. To give your team more speed and more of a revenge killing presence against things like Starmie or Scarf Kyurem-B, I would recommend changing Specs to Scarf on Latios.

Next, to give your team a better defensive backbone, and to give you some vital support options I would recommend using Specially Defensive Jirachi over your current CM Jirachi. CM Jirachi is kind of just slapped on this team so it is relying totally on team matchup in order to be successful and it really isn't supporting the rest of your team very much. On the other hand, Specially Defensive Jirachi can provide the ability to take some dragon spam and some hits from Starmie and Rotom-W, plus, it also provides Paralysis support with Body Slam for your relatively slow team. Lastly, since your team hates Scald so much I would recommend utilizing Healing Wish on this set. Jirachi can bring back a weakened member later in the match to bring back a ton of momentum for your team which is really threatening on Offensive teams. You can also move Stealth Rocks over here.

Now with Latios being able to Revenge KO dragons and Jirachi having Stealth Rocks Mamoswine becomes pretty redundant on this team.
With the changes made so far your team lacks the Wall Breaking power that it really would appreciate so for that reason I would recommend switching Mamoswine to LO Hydreigon. Hydreigon is arguably the best Wall Breaker in the game thanks to its superb movepool and mixed-attacking ability. Plus, Hydreigon matches extremely well with Latios since they can take out each other's counters and open up huge holes which Gyarados can take advantage of later on.

Finally, I would also agree with Halcyon's suggestion of changing Breloom's set to the Fighting Gem Focus Punch set since Gyarados will appreciate the holes Breloom can punch open later on.

Hopefully my suggestions helped! Let me know how it works and good luck with the team!

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Got the request! (Sorry I took so long...? Ehehehehe :p)

Alrighty so you say you have problems with Starmie and KyuB. Frankly, Specs Keldeo looks like the worse thing you can face since +0 Jirachi is getting smashed and Gyara is 2HKOd (as well as Latios... *shivers*). Toxicroak at +2 looks like it could easily sweep your team as it hits everything hard (and Gyara's Bounce = free switch to Rotom-W or Thunder Jira, etc.).

Anyway, so here are my suggestions:

1.) I think @MCBarrett had the right idea with replacing Latios for a Scarf variant, but I feel that Scarf Latias will slightly fit better here. The bulk is desired (see: Specs Keldeo, LO Terrakion, and LO Venusaur) as well as the speed tier so that you can revenge KyuB and Starmie while still maintaining a big threat to sun teams. I feel that the addition of Healing Wish is perfect support for SubDD Gyarados and CM Jirachi, as they appreciate the healing lategame. Latias also surprise KOs Icy Wind Specs / EB Keldeo too so it's a good overall replacement imo.

2.) With Latias carrying Scarf, I feel Politoed would be better filling a different role. I'd try Water Gem Politoed as it can smash other weather inducers (like Ninetales and TTar) really hard as well as bluffing Specs. Politoed can run Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Psychic / Perish Song for optimal effectiveness. Psychic can put a stop to Toxicroak so it's a huge leg up compared to your current set.

3.) Now I feel that the "KyuB weakness" is a bit premature. In fact, I find that there is a simple fix that will solve it easily -- Wish over Substitute on Jirachi. Wish allows Jirachi to set up on more things long term (e.g. Starmie, KyuB, Toxicroak, etc) and so in this case it is favored over Substitute since it covers more threats (and setting up on Ferro is pretty rad if you ask me). Breloom should convert to the Focus Punch set with either LO or Fight Gem as the item of choice so you can break things much easier and much faster for Gyara to sweep with. Lastly, I'd boost Gyara's speed to hit 271 so that it outpaces on-site Agi ThundyT when both are at +0, and so you outpace ThundyT when you are +2 vs +2. It also helps that hitting the 271 speed tier allows you to outpace most Chloro Timid Venu since they hit 265 (which means you outpace at +2).

Cute team and good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)