Challenge The Nuzlocke Challenge - Mark 2

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

What is the Nuzlocke Challenge?

Put simply, the Nuzlocke Challenge is a set of rules that raises the difficulty of main-series Pokémon games.

The Nuzlocke Challenge encourages players to use Pokémon they would not normally use and pushes players to form stronger emotional bonds with their Pokémon as they travel across the region, experiencing battles packed with more tension and excitement than ever before.

What are the rules?

The original Nuzlocke Challenge only had two rules:

1. The player may only capture the first Pokémon he or she encounters in an area.
If you accidentally KO the Pokémon you encounter or run out of Poké Balls, tough luck.

2. If a Pokémon faints, it is considered "dead" and must be released immediately.
In more recent Nuzlocke Challenges, "dead" Pokémon are placed in a PC box named
"Dead" or "Cemetery." These Pokémon cannot participate in battles and cannot use
HMs. You may not "redo" battles; deaths are final.

As the Nuzlocke challenge grew in popularity, players added their own rules. These are the most popular:
  • All Pokémon obtained by the player must be nicknamed.
    Pokémon are your friends. Nicknaming your Pokémon increases the strength of your bond.
  • If the player's first encounter in an area is a double battle, he or she may choose which Pokémon to capture.
  • The player loses the challenge and must restart if he or she blacks out or whites out.

What other options do I have?
Sometimes, players choose to tweak the rules listed above in order to lessen or to increase the difficulty of a challenge.

Ways to make the challenge easier:
  • No repeats: the player may capture the first Pokémon they encounter in an area which they do not already own
  • Switch mode: the player can switch out his or her active Pokémon before the opponent sends in a new Pokémon
  • Shiny Pokémon: the player may capture any shiny Pokémon he or she encounters
Ways to make the challenge harder:
  • Set mode: the player does not have the option to switch Pokémon before the opponent sends in a new Pokémon
  • Items: the player may only use items outside of battle
  • Poké Marts: the player may only purchase a certain number of items at each Poké Mart
  • Poké Centers: the player may only visit each Pokémon Center a limited number of times
    The player may choose to simulate "paying" for a Pokémon Center visit by purchasing items from the Poké Mart and discarding them.
  • Starter: the last number of the player's Trainer ID determines his or her starting Pokémon (1-3 = Grass, 4-6 = Fire, 7-9 = Water, 0 = player's choice)
  • Legendary Pokémon: the player may not capture or use legendary Pokémon
  • Gift Pokémon: the player may not use gift Pokémon
  • Levels: the player's Pokémon must be the same level or of lower level than a Gym Leader's Pokémon
  • Challenge mode: the player must start Pokémon Black 2 or Pokémon White 2 in Challenge mode
  • Combining challenges: the Nuzlocke Challenge can be combined with another challenge (e.g. Scramble Challange)
Do not post just your team in this thread. Provide a description of your progress. Comics and narratives are encouraged!

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I will start... By picking up an old Nuzlocke (Nice 12 months IAR)...

Sapphire Nuzlocke Update #6

Whee more updates...

Update #1
Update #2
Update #3
Update #4
Update #5

THE RULES
-Sapphire Version
-If a Pokémon Faints, it dies (Goes into a Cemetery Box)
-Can only catch the First Unowned (Pokémon that does not have data registered in the Pokedex) Wild Pokémon encountered in any given Route (Before obtaining the Pokédex/Poké Balls does not count, Shiny Pokémon & Gift Pokémon are exempt)
-Must Nickname caught Pokémon
-Legendaries may be caught, but cannot be used.

Well this is going to be a kinda sketchy update because it has been over a year & odds are I am going to get a lot of details wrong, but...

We begin, with... uhhh... I think I was grinding & shit, & I got the Rock Smash HM to teach to my Linoone, but first, I think I went to Route 112 for hopefully a Numel or a Machop, so we went there & looked at the odds:

Numel - 75%
Machop - 25%

Okay, so a good Numel chance, so I went in & got...

Numel [Volcanic] (M)
Lv:14 | Oblivious | Jolly
Caught: Route 112
-Growl
-Tackle
-Ember

Yay, caught fire mon... Boo still no Fighting-types... Boo Jolly... So with that done, I proceeded to grind Volcanic to par with the rest of the party, & evolved a certain Pokémon...

Graveler [Golem] (M)
Lv:25 | Rock Head | Quirky
Caught: Granite Cave
-Tackle
-Magnitude
-Mud Sport
-Rock Throw

Much better. So after that, I proceeded to head to Fallarbor Town through the long road... But with some extra Pokémon on the way! First was the Fiery Path where I could get...

Numel (Owned) - 30%
Grimer - 25%
Torkoal - 18%
Machop - 15%
Slugma - 10%
Koffing - 2%

Grimer [I will edit this in later] (M)
Lv:15 | Sticky Hold | Naive (I think)
Caught: Fiery Path
-Pound
-Harden
-Disable
-Sludge

Bleh... Where is my Machop... :(

Nevertheless, onwards to Route 113 where I could find...

Spinda - 70%
Sandshrew - 25%
Skarmory - 5%

So, a likely Spinda, eh?

Spinda [Panzy] (F)
Lv:15 | Own Tempo | Quiet
Caught: Route 113
-Tackle
-Uproar
-Faint Attack

... It was... As if it is going to help me out... -_-

After a long run, it was time to rest at Fallarbor, before I decided to see what I could catch on Route 114! Well, let us see what we could find...

Swablu - 40%
Lotad (Owned) - 30%
Seviper - 19%
Lombre - 10%
Surskit - 1%

Well, I caught the first unowned Pokémon again here, but what was it?

Lombre [Substitoad] (F)
Lv:17 | Swift Swim? | Sassy (I think)
Caught: Route 114
-Astonish
-Growl
-Absorb
-Nature Power

... I knew I should have evolved that Lotad... 9.9

Well at that point I put away the DS & stopped playing for 12 months due to real life issues & other commitments on Smogon. After said absence, I have come back to play at this point.

At this point, I just wanted to continue through the game, levelling up my Pokémon, when suddenly...

Manectric [Watt] (M)
Lv:26 | Lightningrod | Calm
Caught: Route 110
-Spark
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack
-Howl

Whoo... Just before I hit Meteor Falls... Where Team Aqua are lurking... So I went in. First things first, & it is time to hopefully catch a new Pokémon. On this route, my possible finds are...

Zubat - 80%
Lunatone - 20%

So likely Zubat. I catch the mon that was my first encounter, like usual.

Zubat [Bat] (M)
Lv:17 | Inner Focus | Docile
Caught: Meteor Falls
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish
-Bite

No Lunatone then... :|

So, after the Aqua/Magma scuffle, I come out the other side of the Falls & deal with the trainers on Route 115, with no wild Pokémon obtainable yet. I hit Rustboro, heal up, & then make my way to the Rusturf Tunnel to get my Strength HM & make the route to Mt. Chimney. Past familiar territory, before heading up the mountain. There was Archie with the Meteorite trying to fulfil their evil deeds. After dispatching the two lackeys, I confronted the pirate head & engaged in battle. Linoone lead out, & after being hit by the notorious Sand-Attack twice, I sent in Graveler. It got hit by Bite. I try battering it with Magnitude & thought that I was outspeeding. I was wrong. A Super Potion on Archie's part gave an opportunity, but only a Magnitude 7. Mightyena survived, & thinking I outsped for some reason, I clicked Magnitude again. Mightyena outsped & KOed with Bite... Shit... x_x

So Linoone finished it off, & then I sent in Manectric to sweep the rest of the team, aided by a lucky crit Spark on Sharpedo, but the damage was done. Something I needed to help with Flannery & Norman... Gone over a dumb oversight... -.-'

Oh well, such is life, we all make mistakes. But now it was a new mon time down the Jagged Pass, & hopefully the Machop I desperately need... Now what could I get...

Numel (Owned) - 55%
Machop - 25%
Spoink - 20%

So, I could get a Machop, but do I get it?

Spoink [MindMaster] (F)
Lv:21 | Own Tempo | Naive
Caught: Jagged Pass
-Psywave
-Odour Sleuth
-Psybeam
-Psych Up

... Silly fool, you think I would be -lucky- enough to get one of those... Oh well... -.-'

... Moving on, & after dealing with a couple of trainers, we hit Lavaridge Town! At this point, I accept the egg, & start to grind Marshtomp through the Gym Trainers. Well, it did not die, but it got a level out of it, & now we are at Flannery. Will I beat her? Nope I have not done that yet, you will have to wait for the next update. Ha, ha!

Well that is the update, I just need to display the party now!

Numel [Volcanic] (M)
Lv:25 | Oblivious | Jolly
Caught: Route 112
-Growl
-Tackle
-Ember
-Magnitude
---

Linoone [Racoon] (F)
Lv:26 | Pickup | Calm
Caught: Route 103
-Tackle
-Odour Sleuth
-Tail Whip
-Headbutt
---

Manectric [Watt] (M)
Lv:26 | Lightningrod | Calm
Caught: Route 110
-Spark
-Thunder Wave
-Quick Attack
-Howl
---

Beautifly [Great Moth] (M)
Lv:26 | Swarm | Mild
Caught: Route 101
-Morning Sun
-Mega Drain
-Poison Sting
-Gust
---

Marshtomp [Atlantean] (M)
Lv:28 | Torrent | Gentle
Caught: Littleroot Town (Gift)
-Tackle
-Growl
-Mud Shot
-Water Gun
---

Pokémon Egg!

Lotad [Des Frog] (F)
Lv:3 | Rain Dish | Brave
Caught: Route 102
-Astonish
-Growl
---

Wingull [Simorgh] (F)
Lv:4 | Keen Eye | Hasty
Caught: Route 104
-Growl
-Water Gun
---

Slakoth [Behemoth] (M)
Lv:5 | Truant | Lax
Caught: Petalburg Woods
-Scratch
-Yawn
---

Nincada [Ninja] (M)
Lv:6 | Compoundeyes | Lax
Caught: Route 116
-Scratch
-Harden
-Leech Life
-Cut
---

Whismur [Tuner] (M)
Lv:7 | Soundproof | Timid
Caught: Rusturf Tunnel
-Pound
-Uproar
---

Tentacool [Jellyfish] (F)
Lv:13 | Clear Body | Docile
Caught: Dewford City
-Poison Sting
-Supersonic
-Constrict
---

Magikarp [Leviair] (M)
Lv:5 | Swift Swim | Docile
Caught: Slateport City
-Splash
---

Volbeat [Hornet] (M)
Lv:13 | Swarm | Naughty
Caught: Route 117
-Tackle
-Confuse Ray
-Double Team
-Moonlight
---

Grimer [I will edit this in later] (M)
Lv:15 | Sticky Hold | Naive (I think)
Caught: Fiery Path
-Pound
-Harden
-Disable
-Sludge
---

Spinda [Panzy] (F)
Lv:15 | Own Tempo | Quiet
Caught: Route 113
-Tackle
-Uproar
-Faint Attack
---

Lombre [Substitoad] (F)
Lv:17 | Swift Swim? | Sassy (I think)
Caught: Route 114
-Astonish
-Growl
-Absorb
-Nature Power
---

Zubat [Bat] (M)
Lv:17 | Inner Focus | Docile
Caught: Meteor Falls
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Astonish
-Bite
---

Spoink [MindMaster] (F)
Lv:21 | Own Tempo | Naive
Caught: Jagged Pass
-Psywave
-Odour Sleuth
-Psybeam
-Psych Up

Graveler [Golem] (M)
Lv:26 | Rock Head | Quirky
Caught: Granite Cave
-Tackle
-Magnitude
-Mud Sport
-Rock Throw
COD: Bite from Archie's Mightyena

And that sums up a tl;dr update... Next time, Flannery! :|

Alright, I think I will start a Nuzlocke on Black. Rules:
  • The player may only capture the first Pokémon he or she encounters in an area.
  • If a Pokémon faints, it is considered "dead" and must be placed in a 'Dead' box
  • All Pokémon obtained by the player must be nicknamed.
  • No repeats: the player may capture the first Pokémon they encounter in an area which they do not already own
  • Switch mode: the player can switch out his or her active Pokémon before the opponent sends in a new Pokémon
  • Shiny Pokémon: the player may capture any shiny Pokémon he or she encounters
Alright then, time to get started.

EDIT: Also, I have an idea for a new rule to make the challenge easier: You may revive pokemon, but only with revives that you find; no buying any. Anyone else think this is okay?

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, I have to agree that reviving dead Pokémon defeats the point of a Nuzlocke.

On another note, I started a HG Nuzlocke around an hour ago. I'll post updates after every gym leader battle.

Stellar

of the Distant Past

Agart - Hoodlum - Rosa - Dorian

Moraine - Onco - Blume - Mistral

Here is the current progress of my HG Nuzlocke. I just defeated Falkner in a very tricky battle due to the low levels of my Pokémon (Agart and Mistral were both level 11) even after defeating the entire Sprout Tower. Sadly, Mistral bit the dust at the hands of a critical hit Tackle from -2 Attack Pidgeotto. :[

Rosa has a Modest nature, so she has the makings of a pretty nice Butterfree, but... she's a Metapod and I'm not sure if it is worth the time to train her six levels through bait and switch. I might train up Moraine as a replacement for Mistral, but he is level 2 and only has Leech Life. (Oh, the joys of early game Johto!)

Agart (M) the Cyndaquil, Lv. 12
Docile Nature - Likes to fight.
Met at Lv. 5 in New Bark Town

- Ember
- Tackle
- Smokescreen
- Leer​

I will probably continue to use this format in the future (bold = current team, underline = death) for my other updates. I'll only bore you with the details of my current team in each update.

Oh, and for future reference I am playing without repeats and with set mode on.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I will do a SoulSilver Nuzlocke... starting with Chikorita! Awww yeah!

I will also set the time to morning since I would like to use a Ledyba, I will give an update once I beat Falkner, however short it ends up being.

Edit: LOOK HULA YOU CAN EDIT POSTS

Last edited:

Stellar

of the Distant Past
FROM SEPTEMBER 15:
I've been playing my HG Nuzlocke on and off for the last couple weeks. I thought I would update with my current team! I have seven badges, but I need to train a bunch before taking on Claire. I don't really have anything that could handle Kingdra easily. :/ I also caught a shiny Raticate on the route north of Olivine, but it wasn't my first Pokémon, so I can't use it.

Winchester (M) the Stantler, Lv. 40
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Silk Scarf
Brave Nature - Somewhat vain.
Met at Lv. 13 on Route 36

- Return
- Stomp
- Zen Headbutt
- Hypnosis

Nadine (F) the Corsola, Lv. 38
Ability: Natural Cure
Item: Smoke Ball
Docile Nature - Mischievous.
Met at Lv. 20 in Olivine City

- Surf
- AncientPower
- Blizzard
- Recover

Agart
(M) the Typhlosion, Lv. 37
Ability: Blaze
Item: Choice Specs
Docile Nature - Likes to fight.
Met at Lv. 5 in New Bark Town

- Lava Plume
- Swift
- Fire Blast
- Blast Burn

Pearl (F) the Swinub, Lv. 22
Ability: Snow Cloak
Item: Exp. Share
Docile Nature - Scatters things often.
Met at Lv. 21 in Ice Path

- Powder Snow
- Mud-Slap
- Endure
- Mud Bomb

Ribose (M) the Eevee, Lv. 5
Ability: Run Away
Item: Soothe Bell
Rash Nature - Often scatters things.
Met at Lv. 5 in Celadon City

- Tail Whip
- Tackle
- Helping Hand

I'm hoping Mamoswine and Espeon will help a bit with the Elite Four. Otherwise, I'm going to have a really rough time with Lance and Bruno. :(

FROM SEPTEMBER 20:
I think my HG Nuzlocke has come to an end. I failed to KO Lance's last Pokémon with Typhlosion and ended up losing.

My final team was Lv42 Stantler / Lv48 Espeon / Lv41 Mamoswine / Lv41 Typhlosion. (Corsola died against Clair.) Mamo was super weak even with Nevermeltice (which for some reason I thought would be better than Scarf). Sad times. :[

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting a Platinum Nuzlocke run. Playing all three "easier" rules, since (a) it's my first time; and (b) I'm definitely catching shinies.

Stalungrad's Platinum Nuzlocke

Part 1

You know what’s a cool name? Lance. It’s not just a name, it’s a weapon. Pokémon is about living your dream, and it is my dream to be named Lance. I’m naming myself Lance.

I know there’s another Lance in the Pokéworld, but look, he doesn’t have the monopoly on names, alright? And I’m in Sinnoh. He’ll never know. Don’t tell him.

Don’t tell Lance Parkin either.

Who’s this guy? Oh, it’s Barry. He’s bustin’ out all over.

I’m going to become the Sinnoh champion. It is my DESTINY.

I’m going to change the text speed to ‘fast’. It is my DESTINY.

Professor Rowan doesn’t want me going in the long grass. He’s literally standing in the way of my dreams.

I’ve got my first Pokémon! But it’s on Route 201. Which means I’m not allowed any more Pokémon from this route. Damn you, Rowan, damn you to hell.

Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup? That’s no sort of choice, is it?

Welcome to the team, MonkeyJake.

Barry wants to fight! No, sod off, Barry. If you kill MonkeyJake, that’s my journey over.

He’s not taking ‘no’ for an answer. Let’s just be clear that I did not consent to this.

I lost. Give me one moment while I replay all of that.

Part 2

Cast so far:

• MonkeyJake the Chimchar (Route 201)
Oh, lordy. Barry wants to check out the lake and catch the legendary Pokémon. Look, Barry. I'm only allowed to catch the legendary if it's the first thing I find. I find a Bidoof first? We catch the legendary Bidoof instead.

'Cyrus is my name. Remember it.' So says a man with his back to us. Wonder if he knows we're here? I've written a song called 'Strange Man'. It is to the tune of that song that keeps playing in Juno, and it is about Cyrus (it also fits Javert, Les Mis fans).

Barry hasn't got the balls to catch Pokémon. HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT don't judge me. He's going to Sandgem to get a pair of balls. He didn't say how many. That's just my inference.

MonkeyJake has been attacked by a wild Starly. The first test beginsoh it's dead.

Now he's been attacked by a Bidoof. So begins the second test. This one's a lot tougher. MonkeyJake is down to 6HP!

I am running away to Sandgem town. They're bound to have hit points there.

Ooh, I have met a girl named Dawn [immediately falls in love because she looks like the character my wife plays in DPP]. Oh no! She thinks Barry's my friend! This is a real obstacle in the way of our romance.

Rowan offers me a Pokédex if I promise to catalogue all of the Pokémon in the Sinnoh reason. Now I have a Pokédex - amazing the stuff you can get by lying.

He's given me TM27! That's Return, that is. What an extraordinary gift so early on.

Right, MonkeyJake healed. Let's make sure I'm never in this position again. A handful of Potions, some Antidotes, a couple of Parlyz Heals and ... let's grab some Poké Balls.

Time to catch me some Pokémon.

Part 3

Cast so far:
A legendary Pokémon would be a great help to my challenge. Let's head to Lake Verity.

Now, I have to catch the first thing I see, so I hope the first thing I see is the legenIT'S A STARLY. And it's broken out of its ball and hurting MonkeyJake. We cannot stand for this.

CAUGHT.

Well, he's not a legendary. Instead, he's the first of a team I like to call The First To Fall. I have named him Colliery so he knows where he stands.

Back to Sandgem ... and another Bidoof, look. It scored a critical hit! But it's on level 2, so MonkeyJake killed it anyway. I'm going to need to do some training soon. This is the second time Route 201 has reduced MonkeyJake to the red.

Part 4

Cast so far:
  • Colliery the Starly (Lake Verity)
Okay, training is boring. Let’s check out Route 202.

Dawn’s here! Swoon. Oh, she’s showing me how to catch a Pokémon. Yet another obstacle on the road to holding hands. On the other hand, she’s given me Poké Balls.

Okay, now let’s catch … a Shinx?! Excellent. Shinx looks great. Let’s Scratch it a bit - MonkeyJake can be a bit killy when it uses Ember, you understand - and, ooh, you public menace. She’s broken out of it. Good thing lovely Dawn gave me lots of spare balls.

Welcome to the team, Zapcat.

Right, now I really need to do some training.

Part 5

Cast so far:

• Zapcat the Shinx (Route 202)
They've had some training, and they're looking respectable. I've bonded with Colliery a bit now that it's learnt Quick Attack, but Zapcat is definitely queen of the team. She Intimidates, she can really take hits, she's got it all going on.

But training doesn't pay the bills, and I would like to buy more stuff. Let's fight human beings and rob their corpses.

It's Zapcat versus Youngster Tristan's Starly. Ooh, and it's got Quick Attack. Yes. That is good strategymon. But Zapcat has killed it with a strategy I like to call being awesome.

Next up, Zapcat takes on Lass Natalie's Bidoof. And yes, you can stop sending me messages, I wanted a Bidoof just as badly as you lot wanted me to have one, but them's the rules. Zapcat killed it, by the way.

Now Colliery takes on Youngster Logan's Burmy. Colliery wins, delaying his still-inevitable death. Onwards! To Jubilife!

GOOD GRIEF IT'S LOOKER! Best character.

He grilled me pretty hard, but I think I got away with it.

Part 6

Cast so far:

Jubilife is full of clowns. I have no time for clowns. Go WEEEEEST!

Old Rod! Let’s go fishing!

Um, somewhere I haven’t already caught Pokémon, I suppose. Er … time to pop back home!

I was just thinking I’d need a Water type. There’s bound to be some great fish in - MAGIKARP. On LEVEL 5.

Okay, just think of the Gyarados it’ll become. Welcome to the team, ElderFsh. No, don’t write in, I know I had enough characters for ‘ElderFish’. It’s a stylistic choice.

Right best do some training.

[Montage - bait and switch training ElderFsh for a long, long time]

Okay, ElderFsh is … aw, level 6?

Part 7

Cast so far:
  • ElderFsh the Magikarp (Twinleaf Town)
I’m heading north! Winter is coming.

Route 204 means I get a new Pokémon. What will it be? Will it be Budew? WILL IT? Oh please oh-

Wild Bidoof appeared! That’ll keep the fans happy.

Okay, MonkeyJake. Try not to kill him.

Caught! Welcome to the team, L’Avanque.

Trainers to fight! This will help ElderFsh level up. It’s like a mirror universe, with Zapcat fighting a Shinx, and ElderFsh fighting a Magikarp … um, okay, everyone stop Splashing. Time to let L’Avanque do a bit of work. Aw, and a Budew. I so wanted a Budew. Kill it, Colliery.

Let’s see what’s in the Ravaged Path. A dead end. And … Zubat. Sigh.

I’d been so hoping for a Psyduck. At least Cullenkind provides me with a full team of six.

Part 8

Cast so far:
  • L’Avanque the Bidoof (Route 204)
  • Cullenkind the Zubat (Ravaged Path)
Training before generation 5 is rubbish. Almost as rubbish as ElderFsh.

But then, ElderFsh has an excuse. Cullenkind has no excuse. She’s caught up with the rest of the team. Why can’t she kill anything? Oh, don’t get me wrong, she’s got her sneaky Supersonic trick, but I tell her exactly what I told famous rocket scientist and car owner Brad Pitt - that don’t impress me much.

During training, things got a bit hairy at one point, with a wild Bidoof scoring a critical hit and leaving L’Avanque with a single HP. We stared death in the face, and we were humbled. We learnt a valuable lesson. CONSTANT VIGILANCE, as one of my Year 10 teachers used to say. I mean, he turned out to be an escaped Nazi murdered convict in disguise, but in many ways that made the lesson all the more memorable.

In any case, it’s now time to head in the most counter-intuitive direction for the Welsh - we’re going east.

Ah, and look, it never works out. Barry’s bustin’ out all over.

He’s got a Starly. Not as good as mine. He hasn’t even nicknamed it. I don’t think he’s taking the Nuzlocke challenge as seriously as I am. No trouble for Zapcat.

Okay, Cullenkind can have a go at Piplup. She does well - with Supersonic, obviously, it’s not like Leech Life is doing anything noticeable. Ah, but Piplup is showing signs of fighting back, so L’Avanque can finish him - oh, no, Piplup’s finished himself off.

New area means new Pokémon. Let’s see what Route 204 has for me. It’s like an advent calendar, isn’t it? Yes it is.

Oh. Oh no.

It’s Abra.

It’s just going to Teleport away. It’s ElderFsh up first. She Splashes, Abra Teleports. I switch, Abra Teleports. Just one thing for it. Throwing a Poké Ball.

IT WORKED! It must have been my destiny, I suppose. The problematically-nicknamed Mentalloid joins the -

No. I’ve got a full team. He’s gone to the PC. So what now? Swap out the dead weight? But I quite like all my team by now, really. Oh, I can be hard on them, but that’s just because I want the best from them.

The times we’ve had together. MonkeyJake, the Chimchar so great I chose him twice. Colliery, the Starly so eagre to impress it learnt Quick Attack and Wing Attack before hitting level 10. Zapcat, who cut through her enemies like a knife through butter. ElderFsh, some dead weight I’m hoping will become a Gyarados for me. L’Avanque, the Bidoof who didn’t give up in the face of his near-death experience. And Cullenkind, who - despite being a pretty useless fighter - has never been close to death.

Although I suppose I’ve got two Flying types so idk.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay so:

I started a Randomised Nuzlocke on Fire Red... Settings: Random Moves (Moves of Same Type), Random Pokemon for trainers, totally random Pokemon placement on routes, no early Shedinja and then Random abilities and Random TMs.

Then died twice, first to my Rival with a Jump Kick Pidgey against an Igglybuff (Thanks Celever) and then I got a Confusion Beldum which ended up dying to a Flame Wheel Abra on Route 1 -_-

SO NOW I got a Dratini as my Starter with Dragonbreath. It now has Dragon Claw and its ability is Poison Point.

So this is my team right now (Noting important moves): Chikorita (Flame Body) with Petal Dance and Frenzy Plant, DIglett (Guts) with Bone Club, Dizzy Punch and Fissure, Porygon (Suction Cups) with Secret Power and Tackle and Vaporeon (Rock Head) with Crabhammer, Muddy Water and Slam.

I'm just inside Mt Moon and I have a dead Omanyte that got murdered by Blue :(

ONWARDS!

Also Kadew is cool as fuck

Last edited:
I've been looking to do a nuzlocke challenge for awhile now, so this friday when I come home from college for the weekend, I'm going to start one up in my Platinum version. I'm going to be adding some additional rules to the core two so that it's a bit more challenging than your average nuzlocke. These are the rules I'll be using

1. If a pokemon faints, it must be released
2. Only the first pokemon encountered on each route can be caught. There are no do-overs if a duplicate is encountered, however duplicates can be caught
3. All pokemon must be nicknamed, although I can change the nickname at any time if I want to
4. Pokemon centers can only be used once in each town. Expires once I get through Victory Road, so I can prepare for the Elite 4
5. Marts cannot be used at all. This rule will stay in effect for the entire game so I'm limited to what I find and what's given to me
6. Once a gym is entered, I cannot exit until the leader is defeated
7. Legendary Pokemon cannot be caught. So no Giratina, or Lake Pixies for me
8. Gift pokemon such as Eevee, Togepi, Riolu and Porygon are ok but they count as encounters
9. Trading is allowed but only to evolve pokemon that evolve through trade
10. Battle style is set to "set" at all times
11. Each pokemon can be put in the day-care once (I figure this'll make it easier to raise weaker pokemon if things go horribly wrong)
12. If my entire party faints, I can continue as long as I have one pokemon in the pc
13. Starter Pokemon is determined by the last digit of my ID number. 1-3 is Turtwig, 4-6 is Chimchar, 7-9 is Piplup, 0 I get to choose

I think I"m going to have a lot of fun with this. I think I'm basically turning the game into a survival game which should be interesting. It'll also force me to be a lot more careful and think a lot more in regards to each decision I make

Last edited:
Just finished a platinum run and all I have to say is platinum is bull shit motherfucking gardenias Cherri's can one shot a lvl 18 monferno with a crit magical leaf

Stalungrad's Platinum Nuzlocke
Part 9

Cast so far:
  • L’Avanque the Bidoof (Route 204)
  • Cullenkind the Zubat (Ravaged Path)
Oreburgh Gate. This should be easy enough.

I’m hoping my first Pokémon will be a Psyd- Hello, Geodude.

Ooh, two critical hits in a row from Cullenkind nearly killed it! Play nicely, Cullenkind. Aaaand welcome to the team, Jaggargh. Hope you like PC boxes.

L’Avanque has a Quick Claw now. Doesn’t make much difference, frankly, but it’s nice to encourage him.

And … out of Oreburgh Gate. One for the legends, that. I’m off to Oreburgh Mine - the Big Pit of Sinnoh.

An Onix! Do want. Be gentle, MonkeyJake. Good thing I barged into someone’s house and took a Dusk Ball from them in Oreburgh City. It’s the box for you, Serpentero.

Oh, but this place is tough. Only Cullenkind’s Astonish can touch Rock types, and to be honest, not all that much. I’m going to need to rethink my team before I take on Roark. Maybe Jaggargh can learn a Ground move for me. Aw, but he’s on level 5. Right, ElderFsh can be boxed. Only room for one useless lump on this team.

BRB, training.

Part 10
  • Introducing Biffula the Machop (Route 207)
I decided to train Jaggargh the Geodude on Route 207, and the first thing I met was a Machop. Jaggargh went straight back in the PC, and I have a brand new MVP.

Let’s fighting love.

Oreburgh Gym Leader: Roark

Biffula munches through Youngsters Jonathan and Darius with ease. I’m not even going to bother healing. This gym seems easy enough.

Time for Roark’s Geodude. Oh, Stealth Rock, is it? Shame, that. Half my team are weak to it.

But no worries. Geodude’s dead, time for Biffula to kill Cranidos. Which he does, despite Roark using a Potion. Biffula is coooool. Low Kick on Onix, it would be over.

I GET THE COOL BADGE! Um, I mean, COAL BADGE! And a Stealth Rock TM which won’t be seeing any use in this game.

So far, all my Pokémon have survived every trial in the game. I’m sure it shall ever be thus, and shall allow myself unrestrained pride going forward.

Part 11

I was feeling so pleased with myself.

Oh, yes. Having dispatched Roark’s gym with no worries, I thought I’d explore Oreburgh Gate with my new Rock Smash license. The experience I picked up, cutting through Psyducks and Geodudes.

Then it happened. Zapcat, my lovely Shinx, went up against a Zubat. No problem. Supersonic? No worries, got plenty of health left, I can risk it …

She is the first to fall. The first of us to fall upon this barricade. Her name was Zapcat. Her life was warm and bright and she was unafraid.

She will not die in vain.

Part 12

Floaroma Town hasn’t been good to me. For starters, there’s a lot of Water types here, and I am haunted by memories of Zapcat. I caught a Buizel at the Valley Windworks, but couldn’t look it in the eye. Jetforce has been boxed.

But the other thing is, Team Galactic is up to no good. By “no good”, I mean nonsense like almost killing Cullenkind, and poisoning L’Avanque. I am NOT losing another Pokémon so soon after poor old Zapcat. I won’t stand for it. We will train, and we will fight, and we will win.

Gonna need a montage.

You know what? I’m finding wild Buizels so tough to beat that I think I ought to be taking advantage of Jetforce. But who to leave behind …? No, no. I know it’s L’Avanque. Don’t write in.

Part 13

I thought we’d go all the way together.

Okay, she struggled to take anything down. But she had two whole evolutions to go. All she needed was a Flying move, and Confuse Ray …

But she died to critical hit from a wild Buizel’s Water Pulse.

Rest in peace, Cullenkind the Zubat. May you become strong and happy enough to become a Crobat in the next life.

This is breaking me.

Part 14

Facing a Pachirisu with Jaggargh the Geodude. No problem - Rock Slide.

Pachirisu used Bide.

Jaggargh used Rock Slide.

Critical hit!

Okay, I think. How much damage did that do? Do I leave an underleveled Jaggargh in? He’ll probably die. I could try running away! But if I fail, Jaggargh is definitely dead. Or do I trade out for something with more HP?

Oh, please. Who’s got the highest HP?

Biffula the Machop has 44HP left. Has that Rock Slide done 22HP damage or more? Maybe. Maybe not. Do I trade him in? Biffula’s my MVP - highest level, strongest by miles. Team Galactic will have Normal types. I’ll need a fighter.

But maybe he’ll survive. Take the hit, fight back, kill Pachirisu. He’s got a better chance of surviving than anyone else on the team.

Okay, let’s do it.

Biffula, go!

Pachirisu unleashed energy.

Biffula fainted.

Right. Fine. Keep taking my friends from me. It’s time to get serious.

Part 15

New cast members:
  • Jetforce the Buizel (Valley Windworks)
  • Serpentero the Onix (Oreburgh Mine)
That’s right, Team Galactic. MonkeyJake and Colliery have evolved. And Jaggargh’s learned Magnitude.

Two good friends have died because of you. And, actually, let’s hold you responsible for the death of Zapcat too while I’m at it. A friend of mine strongly believes you can blame anything on the Catholic church if you try hard enough, and I fully intend to apply the same spiteful loathing to every single member of Team Galactic I come across.

Are you ready?

Jetforce takes out a Grunt’s Zubat. L’Avanque kills a Glameow and Jaggargh takes out a Stunky. I’m coming for you, Galactic Admin Mars.

Jaggargh munches through her Zubat. Now, it’s down to MonkeyJake to take out Purugly.

Oh, good grief, she’s strong - a Fake Out and Scratch have reduced MonkeyJake to half health, while she’s still left with over half health despite a MachPunch to the face. Do I risk another? A critical hit would be the end of MonkeyJake.

I’m not losing another. Get back in, Jaggargh.

He can handle Scratch. He can even take a few Faint Attacks. Magnitude 6 wasn’t bad, but Purugly had an Oran Berry. Another Magnitude - make it count. Magnitude 6! It’s in the red. But a critical hit would take Jaggargh out.

Got to risk it. One more Magnitude AND JAGGARGH MOVES FIRST BECAUSE OF THE QUICK CLAW! Purugly is dead.

Mars is down. But this is just the beginning. I’m not going to stop until I’ve destroyed Team Galactic.

Part 16

I’ve burned through Route 205. L’Avanque has evolved, and I’ve got a brand new Shellos livin’ it up in the PC box. Named Nudibranch - don’t look it up, its definition can’t live up to your imagination.

Now I’m in Eterna Forest. ’Lance decided to go with Cheryl’. Did I now? Did I really? I think yo- oh, she’ll heal my Pokémon for me. Everything is different now.

Oh, but oh dear - a double battle. A Budew and a Buneary. I think I get to choose which one I want, don’t I? Neither’s a doubler. Budew’s clearly the best choice. Kill that Buneary, L’Avanque.

Hmm, it’s down to one HP … but Chansey’s killed it, it’s fine. My real worry is that Chansey will also kill Budew.

You’re right. I can’t take the chance. I have to take out Chansey.

Wing Attack! In the orange. Chansey uses Egg Bomb on Budew. Misses. Another Wing Attack - that’s taken care of Chansey.

Right. Now. What to do about this Budew. I think almost everything I know will kill it. Maybe it can take a Mach Punch from MonkeyJake? Let’s risk it.

Yes! It’s fine. Let’s try another. In the orange! Let’s use this Premier Ball I acquired with some shrewd shopping.

He’s mine. Welcome to the team, Thornery.

I hope you’ve enjoyed your time on the team, Serpentero, but it’s back to the PC with you.

Part 17

Cast so far:

• MonkeyJake the Monferno (Route 201)
  • Colliery the Staravia (Lake Verity)
  • L’Avanque the Bibarel (Route 204)
  • Jaggargh the Geodude (Oreburgh Gate)
  • Jetforce the Buizel (Valley Windworks)
  • Thornery the Budew (Eterna Forest)
It’s a fight against time. I have less than four hours to make Thornery happy enough to evolve, or night will come, and he won’t evolve at night. Get … through … Eterna … Forest …

Oh, Cheryl’s given me a Soothe Bell! Well, that’s a very big help.

Hey, I’ve just remembered! I slathered honey on a tree in Floaroma Meadow yesterday. Maybe there’ll be a Pokémon there for me!

[L’Avanque chews through the fauna of Eterna Forest as I make my way back.]

There is! There’s a Pokémon!

It’s … a Combee.

A male Combee.

I have to catch it. That’s the rule. And I won’t be allowed to catch any female Combees I see from now on. That’s also the rule.

Okay, welcome aboard, Drone. I won’t be seeing you out of the PC again.

[Jetforce hoses down Eterna Forest’s ecosystem.]

To Eterna City!

Part 18

I know what’ll make Thornery happy! Beating a gym! Yes yes. Let’s go. MonkeyJake versus all the grass types. Nothing will go wrong.

Eterna Gym Leader: Gardenia

Dispatched with great dispatch. As the old saying goes, you’ve got to kill a Roserade to get a Roserade. Only death can pay for life.

Okay, let’s face facts, I need some more Pokémon for my team. Let’s see what the Old Chateau has to offer.

A Gastly! Lovely. Right, one Water Gun from Jetforce should be enough to - CRITICAL HIT?! It’s dead! I’m killing them before they even join the team now! Well, between this and Drone the male Combee, this is just about the worst day in the history of the company.

Right, fine. I’ll see if there are any Pokémon in this overgrown building in Eterna City instead.

Oh.

It’s a hideout for Team Galactic.

Get ready, everyone. There is only one god, and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death. Not today.

Part 19

Glameow? Stunky? Zubat? No problem for a Pokémon as strong as Jaggargh.

But here’s a thing. This Galactic Scientist has a Kadabra. It used an X Special, so I got Jaggargh out of there. A single Confusion attack has left L’Avanque in the orange. And he’s got the best Special Defense on the team - except MonkeyJake and Thornery, who are both weak to Psychic.

What do I do? Everything I’ve got will die to the next Confusion. Okay, I suppose that makes things easy.

Super Potion. … and back to the orange.

Super Potion. Confusion. Super Potion. Confusion. It’s all it knows, isn’t it?

What I want is a window to use an X SpDef. I’m not going to get that window. And L’Avanque is bound to be too slow to beat it one-on-one.

Colliery might be fast enough, and strong enough. But his Special Defense is lower than L’Avanque’s. Each Confusion from Kadabra is doing 42HP of damage to L’Avanque. Colliery has 50HP left. Can he take a Confusion long enough to switch in? Then I could Wing Attack, hopefully killing Kadabra in one hit.

It’s my best chance of getting out of this with no casualties. Although … if I fail, there’s a high chance of losing more team members.

The other option is that I let L’Avanque take the hit. Let Colliery switch in, use an X SpDef. Wing Attack.

Ohhh, but L’Avanque. Can I let him sacrifice himself?

I don’t have a choice. I can’t risk losing Colliery.

Okay, L’Avanque. Try using Headbutt. We may get lucky.

Kadabra used Confusion.

L’Avanque fainted.

Go, Colliery.

Ohhh, Kadabra’s faster. It used Confusion - Colliery’s down to 4HP. And Wing Attack hasn’t quite killed Kadabra. If I’d traded him in, he’d be dead by now. L’Avanque’s sacrifice has saved us all.

Kill it, Colliery. Quick Attack.

Started my first Nuzlocke on Black 2, that I hope to finish it prior to XY.

Using basic rules, but I chose snivy based on my Trainer ID.

Training for the first gym (all around lvl 10):

-Ted the Snivy
-Phillip the Patrat
-Lassie the Lillipup
-Unpleasent the Pidove (A fly slave, I didn't feel like raising this from 2 using gust)

inanimate blob: Maybe eventually, depends on how this one goes.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
I have decidedly mixed feelings about it, inanimate blob. I've been meaning to try a Nuzlocke for a while, and this would be a great opportunity, but I hate the idea of possibly missing the chance to train ALL the spiders.

...Maybe I can make an exception for that in my game rules.

Anyone planning on Nuzlocking X or Y when it first comes out?
Yea for sure. It seems with the new exp share replacing your dead pokemon will be much easier because you can levelup any weaker guys easily. It'd be a cool experience to nuzlocke a game the first time you play it I'd imagine.

Black 2 Nuzlocke

1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.
2. The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.
3. All Pokémon must be nicknamed something awesome.
4. Battle style is set.
5. Dupes clause.
6. No legends.
7. Normal difficulty (I am unable to unlock Challenge mode -__-).

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
Anyone planning on Nuzlocking X or Y when it first comes out?
Only just got the games, but yes:

Right now, in Santalune forest doing some grinding because of the next gym leader probably being level 11 or 12 maximum, most are, and I have the healing to help me grind quickly.

Team right now:
Pansear lvl 6
Scatterbug lvl 6
Chespin lvl 7

Grinding is fun! ^_^

Update:
Precautionary times right now; I know that the next gym leader is Rock-Type and... well... 4 of my 5 Pokemon are weak to Rock. :/

Team:
Squirtle lvl 12
-Tackle
-Tail Whip
-Water Gum
-Withdraw
Ability: Torrent

Ledyba lvl 12
-Tackle
-Supersonic
-Comet Punch
- N/A
Abiltiy: Swarm

Pansear lvl 14
-Fury Swipes
-Incinerate
-Leer
-Lick
Ability: Gluttony

Vivillon (Garden Forme, looks kinda bad tbh but w/e) lvl 14
-Tackle
-Struggle Bug
-Stun Spore
-Protect
Ability: Compound Eyes (2 words now, IK)

Pidgey lvl 15
-Tackle
-Sand Attack
-Quick Attack

So.... why is a Pidgey my strongest Pokemon right now? Actually no Vivillon is pretty great I'll be heart-broken if it dies.

Anyway right now I'm doing a bit of grinding with the Exp. Share on down on the route with all the gardeners and flowers (where I got the Ledyba in fact) so that I'm prepared with Squirtle, because if that thing dies before the second gym I'm screwed big time.

Deathbox:
Chespin lvl 11: Died to Viola's Vivillon's critical hit Infestation

Last edited:
I just finished an attempt at a Black 2 Nuzlocke run myself, but I quit after an Archen in Chargestone Cave 2HKO'd my Dewott. Man, this was probably the run with the most casualties of all the runs I have done- The most pokemon I had at one time was 8, I think. Team until that fateful battle-

Crasher Wk
Dewott Lv 34 @ Expert Belt
Naive
Torrent
-Surf
-Aqua Jet
-Return
-Revenge

Pretty standard for a Dewott. I was very happy with the nature. Shame that his death could have been easily avoided- I switched it into an Acrobatics, which left me at 54 / 102 HP. The sensible option would have been to use Aqua Jet, but instead I decided to bank on not getting a high damage roll and went for Surf. But of course, the RNG gods are cruel and Acrobatics got the KO. RIP Crasher :(

Flannery
Growlithe Lv 33 @ Eviolite
Impish
Intimidate
-Fire Fang
-Return
-Dig
-Reversal

Amazing against Bugsy and bulky as fuck with Eviolite + Intimidate. I was planning on raising it all the way till Flare Blitz.

Sidney
Krokorok Lv 33 @ Shell Bell
Quirky
Moxie
-Dig
-Crunch
-Strength
-Rock Slide

I ran into a Sandile on route 4, but unfortunately I KO'd it. Luckily I managed to run into another at Desert Resort, which turned out great because without him I'd have had a hard time with Elesa.

Sabrina
Gothorita @ Leftovers
Quiet
Frisk
-Psyshock
-Energy Ball
-Signal Beam
-Flatter

I have to say, I didn't have great expectations of the Gothita line. Gothita was pretty terrible tbh, but Gothorita was a noticeable improvement. Bulkiest member of my team, and could dish out the damage as well. Speed was the only issue. I'll definitely give Gothita a spot on my team in future runs should I manage to get one.

The rest were all HM Slaves. Noteable fallen ones- Koga the Accelgor, killed by a +1 Crit Takedown from a Herdier; Norman the Mincinno, killed by another silly crit; and Joey the Rattata, killed by a Sludge from a Grimer.

Hey guys, I want to do an RBY nuzlocke (any game) but I'm having trouble working out a good ruleset. The main issue is that nuzlockes with just the three core rules are too easy, there's nothing stopping me from just soloing the game with my starter.

I'm looking for a difficult nuzlocke with a ruleset that limits the amount of levelling I can do and forces me to use multiple pokemon so I can't just solo. I'd prefer if it minimised the amount of grinding I can to do as well.

In terms of what version or starter I use, I'm pretty easy and will use whatever best suits the playthrough, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Celever

i am town
Hey guys, I want to do an RBY nuzlocke (any game) but I'm having trouble working out a good ruleset. The main issue is that nuzlockes with just the three core rules are too easy, there's nothing stopping me from just soloing the game with my starter.

I'm looking for a difficult nuzlocke with a ruleset that limits the amount of levelling I can do and forces me to use multiple pokemon so I can't just solo. I'd prefer if it minimised the amount of grinding I can to do as well.

In terms of what version or starter I use, I'm pretty easy and will use whatever best suits the playthrough, Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Well I use the rules of only using items in-battle when against a gym leader, not being able to deposit Pokemon unless they die (and no purposeful killing >:L) and trying not to level past the gym leader's highest level Pokemon... if you go over by 1 or even 2 levels it's fine though.

Edit: Guess I'll be updating my own nuzlocke:

So, XY is actually really disappointing for me right now. Critical hits now doing 1.5x the damage means that your Pokemon survive most of them anyway, and the fact that I haven't got any deaths since... well gym 1 and if you've played the games you know that there is a huge gap between gym 1 and gym 2 then you know that this game is still kinda easy. Also, gym 2 isn't even difficult. I found the gym trainers far harder than the gym leader, and they were a lower level! Seriously I had 4 Pokemon weak to rock before heading in there but I was set to train up the Squirtle I chose from Professor Sycamore, then, thankfully, on the next route I ran into a Bunnelby who I know evolved into Diggersby -- a ground type! The thing 2HKO'd the guy's Tyrunt with Mud Shot, and the it's Adamant. -_-

Rules imposed because of the stupidly easy frickin' game:
No depositing unless death (the way this is going that won't be happening...)
No extreme over-leveling
Also no Exp. Share outside of grinding sessions (I have a life too :()
I wasn't using the Torchic anyway but no event Pokemon I guess.

And the stupid thing is is I HAVE BEEN PLAYING BY THESE RULES FROM THE START ACCIDENTALLY (except for the no over-leveling).

Team:
Pansear (I'm running around Lumiose looking for a Fire Stone atm, so consider him a Simisear) lvl 24
-Fury Swipes
-Flame Burst
-Yawn
-Bite
Nature: Timid

Diggersby lvl 25
-Take Down
-Double Kick
-Bulldoze (TM)
-Quick Attack
Ability: Cheek Pouch
Nature: Adamant
Holding: Soft Sand

Ledian lvl 25
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Infestation
-Comet Punch
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Hardy

Vivillon lvl 25
-Draining Kiss
-Struggle Bug (this move's boost is SOOOO good, seriously)
-Stun Spore
-Psybeam
Ability: Compound Eyes (looked so much better as one word smh)
Nature: Lax

Wartortle lvl 26 (leveled up in gym battle so it's fine)
-Tackle
-Rock Tomb
-Bubble (EAT MY BUBBLEZ)
-Bite
Nature: Docile
Holding: Rocky Helmet

Pidgeotto lvl 25 (lol 4 Exp. Points until lvl 26)
-Tackle
-Twister
-Gust
-Quick Attack
Ability: Keen Eye (this came in handy in one battle! :D)
Nature: Naughty

Deathbox:
Chespin lvl 11: Died to Viola's critical hit Infestation from Vivillon

Reserves:
Venipede lvl 12
Snorlax lvl 15
Zubat lvl 13
Bagon lvl 14 (I KNOW THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD (but I can't use him until someone dies (not that I want anyone to die)))
Rhyhorn lvl 17 (This is pretty great too ^~^)
Snubbull lvl 21 (fuckin' fairies...)

Edit: Hoooooly shit I just took part in one of the most intense battles I have ever done in a Nuzlocke.
In the reflection cave there is a battle girl with a Throh and a Hulavuta. The Throh already posed a threat to me as I went in with my Simisear (I evolved the Pansear) and it knew Bulldoze. So I immediately switched out as it was a 2HKO to my Pidgeotto fearing a Rock Tomb, it turned out that the thing can 2HKO Pidgeotto with whatever it's Fighting STAB was (forgotten, Vital Throw I think). I decided that if he was going to have a Rock-Type move he would have used it so I sent in my Ledian to set up a Reflect, and actually the Fighting attack didn't do as much as I thought it would even with the 4x resist. Setting up Reflect it used the fighting attack again so I knew it didn't have a rock type attack. I continued to chip down at the Throh's health until it eventually folded, but did I forget to mention that my Vivillon was already weakened?

Well then it sent in the Hawlucha and I anticipated it with my Wartortle, hoping to hit it with a strong Rock Tomb. The second one missed and so I had to switch out. I decided that Simisear's Flame Burst would be enough to take it out so I healed it up with a Super Potion with Wartortle still in and switched out to the Simisear. It resisted the Aerial Ace so I hit it with a Flare Burst which actually critted but it only left the Hawlucha in red, and after one Rock Tomb (wtf man) I knew it was time to go. But at this point Ledian and Pidgeotto were weakened heavily from the Throh, Vivillon from the last trainer and Wartortle from this Hawlucha. My last option was Diggersby (who had some of his health chipped off from catching the Mr. Mime in here but not much). I decided that my only option was to kill someone because... well... whatever I did something would die. I had a talk about this battle on irc and ultimately I decided one of my Flying-Type Pokemon would have to go, but Vivillon has just been so good to me so far with his pretty good power and typing for in-game and I just adore Ledian - plus, it just saved me from that Throh. Deciding that Pidgeotto had been too lackluster in both bulk and power I carefully clicked the button to condemn it to death. :(

It worked though; Hawlucha was already nearly dead and I realized that Diggersby knew Quick Attack. One Quick Attack didn't KO it but the second one did and Diggersby actually had enough bulk to tank one Karate Chop - not two though, so Pidgeotto stopped a sweep. You will forever stay in our hearts, Pidgeotto.

tl;dr Hawlucha is a horrible Pokemon, Throh is pretty bad too, Ledian saves sweeps, Pidgeotto does it better, I just had to kill an animal whilst being vegetarian.

Deathbox:
Chespin lvl 11: Died to Viola's critical hit Infestation from Vivillon
Pidgeotto level 28: Died valiantly to Battle Girl Hedvig's Hawlucha's Rock Tomb, stopping a sweep of my whole team. Thank you.

Reserves:
[
Venipede lvl 12
Snorlax lvl 15
Zubat lvl 13
Bagon lvl 14 (I KNOW THIS IS SOOOOO GOOD (but I can't use him until someone dies (not that I want anyone to die)))
Rhyhorn lvl 17 (This is pretty great too ^~^)
Snubbull lvl 21 (fuckin' fairies...)
Staravia lvl 22 (Another bird...)

Team:
New Addition alert!
Mr. Mime lvl 22
-Psywave
-Encore
-Light Screen
-Reflect
Ability: Filter
Nature: Modest (omfg so good, didn't even realize that)

Diggersby lvl 26
-Take Down
-Double Kick
-Bulldoze
-Quick Attack
Ability: Cheek Pouch
Nature: Adamant

Vivillon lvl 27
-Draining Kiss
-Struggle Bug
-Stun Spore
-Psybeam
Ability: Compound Eyes
Nature: Lax

Ledian lvl 27
-Reflect
-Infestation
-Comet Punch
-Light Screen
Ability: Swarm
Nature: Hardy

Wartortle lvl 27
-Tackle
-Rock Tomb
-Bubble
-Bite
Nature: Docile

Simisear lvl 27
-Fury Swipes
-Flame Burst
-Yawn
-Bite
Nature: Timid

In other news I am trading off the dead so someone take this Pidgeotto away or it will go on wonder trade to a stranger! :(

Last edited:
Hi @ all

I´ve tried to do a Y Nuzlocke and found it to be to easy just like Celever so I´ve made some experiments to get a hard Nuzlocke without too many additional rules because that would be too annoying for me.

Now I have a little problem: I just caught a Honedge - Naugthy with nice IVs! That could make the run-through super easy and not challenging... ,maybe you have some ideas how to prevent that?

Well my current rules are
  • Starter Pokemon randomized by trainer ID mod 3, second starter is remaining integer mod 3, 0=grass 1=fire 2=water
  • First unregistered encounter in each Route may be caught- Dupes Clause for variety... a bit unnecessary in Y but I like diversity
  • No fixed encounter species (No Relaxo, Magikarp, Dupes Clause abuse ...)
  • Training against wild Pokemon is forbidden - really after learning from DP you cannot punish your random cute wild encounters anymore
  • Exp Share is always off
  • Trainer battles may be done with your whole team active, but on SET mode
  • Actively participating Pokemon may only have Level of +3 compared to your last strongest Trainer Pokemon you encountered
  • Pokemon may be boxed OR unboxed once between two gyms - necessary to replenish PP
  • Items that are found or given are allowed - no buying, no berry growing, no Item harvesting from RockSmash or repetitive Trainer interaction, no Item robbery from wild Pokemon... poor little Luvdiscs that no one loves, have a hug from me
  • Learnt TM and HM count as movepool and may not be learnt a second time unless by Relearner (Waste a Heartscale in that Move Relearner city)
  • Profit = spend all your money on looking good ;)

From Aquacorde Town:
Atrophy the adamant Quilladin (Lv. 17), who likes to relax and has a Shock Ribbon :D
Leech Seed
Bite
Vine Whip
Rollout

Met on Route 2 as a shy Scatterbug
PattyPattern the Sassy Vivillion (Lv. 14), relaxing with Atrophy
Tackle
String Shot
Stun Spore
Struggle Bug

Santalune Forests best singer
TodayI´mgay! the Impish Fletchling (Lv. 15) that is quite often lost in it´s own thoughts thus not contributing that much
Return
Growl
Quick Attack
Peck

The mischievious little rabbit from Route 3
Backpacker the Bashful Bunnelby (Lv. 4 - forever young ;)
Tackle
Agility
Leer
Cut

Fresh picked from Route 4 flower fields
Bloominhell the Bashful Flabebe (Lv. 13), showing off its super sturdy body every now and then, but doing nearly nothing for it
Tackle
Vine Whip
Fairy Wind
Lucky Chant

As a giveaway from Lumiose City
Boomboy the Careful Squirtle (Lv. 13) who is definitely meant and capable of taking hits
Tackle
Tail Whip
Water Gun
Bubble

From Route 22
Number the adamant Psyduck still relaxing on Lv 6

Route 5 gave me Addition the Impish Minun (Lv 9) that would love to eat up all my Potions but that will never happen

Korruption the Honedge (Lv 11) the somewhat vain and naughty encounter from Route 6, making me feel like a cheater

So I had a very nice start in this beautiful Kalos region, meeting nice trainers and having fun competing with them. Santalunes Bug lovers were no problem for my team, although I had to spend nearly all my Potions to show my teams full strength. Atrophy played the macho against Viola, soloing her while shrugging of crits.
Preparation for Lumiose City was tough, because Atrophy was nearly Lv. 15 and Patty was still a struggling Scatterbug.

Well, maybe you have some ideas with that Honedge, should I just be happy or leave it in the box or make the rules harder ...?

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
hard, take my advice here: don't go overboard on having hard topics or at the very least put them on old between roughly the 7th and 8th gyms. The game gets really hard at that point and chances are you'll end up in a bloodbath at that point but then it goes rlly easy when you get to the city with the 8th gym leader in it, so I'd just be careful to be honest.

I decided that I will do something else though: I will use every Pokemon family in this game. I will start it off by doing a few nuzlockes probably but I will have the rule that even if the first Pokemon I run into is a Pokemon I don't have at that point in that particular game, my dupes clause will stretch out over every single nuzlocke I do of the game. I'm currently grinding for the elite four due to the aforementioned bloodbath (but don't worry, Simisear and Mr. Mime survived and honestly they were my MVPs besides maybe Slowking... god that death was tragic - complete over-sight on my part that really sucked) so it's not too fun but I have a Garchomp level 50, Crobat level 51 and Rhydon level 56 (I also used a Conkeldurr at level 63 already :O) but I think I'll be ready for the elite four in 24 hours maximum since I'm putting my head down to grind here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)