Theorymon Discussion and Viability Ranking

I think gyrados would appreciate a reliable physical fire/grass/flying move instead of aquajet since it already has DD and has the bulk to survive most priority moves thrown at it. And speaking of priority....
What if scizor had espeed?
It is considered fast in the anime so espeed works. Would scizor use it or ignore it(due to 4MSS)
A set...
Scizor
Lefty/lifeorb/whatevs
Techinician
Insert useful ev here
Adamant
SD
Bulletpunch
Acrobat
Espeed/bugbite
Does this look alright?

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think ExtremeSpeed would have a lot of use on Choice Band sets to hit things that resist Steel type moves, such as Volcarona and Rotom-W. Quick Attack is already semi-viable for this reason, so a 33% stronger version would be certainly appreciated. On SD sets, it could potentially replace Bug Bite for dual priority, which is quite useful for sweeping with only 65 base speed. It would still need Superpower or Brick Break to hit the Steel types that resist both, and would still be walled by Jellicent, so I don't think it would be especially overpowered.

What if Ledian had a way better stat spread?
HP 80
Atk 110
Def 60
SpAtk 60
SpDef 70
Speed 96

Would it be more viable in sweeping sets because of its ability Iron Fist and its higher Atk/Speed/HP?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's still really frail and it's x4 weak to Stealth Rock. It would need a huge boost to all its stats to be viable. Scyther has better stats than that but it's not even close to OU.

Youre not thinking the fact that it would be able to hit many Pokemon for neutral or better coverage. It has all the elementary punches, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Focus Punch, and many other punches alongside with Iron Fist. So what if it has a 4x weakness to SR? If it was increased to pseodo legend level BST, then it would be more usable:
HP 110
Atk 110
Def 110
SpAtk60
SpDef 110
Speed 90
... alonside Reflect, Light Screen and Iron Fist and youve got an appropiate tank and screen setter.

Youre not thinking the fact that it would be able to hit many Pokemon for neutral or better coverage. It has all the elementary punches, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Focus Punch, and many other punches alongside with Iron Fist. So what if it has a 4x weakness to SR? If it was increased to pseodo legend level BST, then it would be more usable:
HP 110
Atk 110
Def 110
SpAtk60
SpDef 110
Speed 90
... alonside Reflect, Light Screen and Iron Fist and youve got an appropiate tank and screen setter.
This isn't reasonable in the slightest, doesn't make sense, and still isn't OU IMO.

what if unnerve lowered spatk instead of its current effect?
in ubers mewtwo becomes more powerful but would it see any use in ou? Haxorus is the only one i think.

Extreemspeed would even increase swords dance scizors viability, because things like volcarona or "bulky" water types like keldeo, politoed or rotomw would have a harder time to revenge if scizor is used as a late game cleaner. But it then has to give up either bug stab or the now so common and praised acrobatics.
On Choice Band it would be cool even in some end game situations against other priority users like Feraligatr.

Okay, I have one:

Pearl: It can summon rain clouds. People long ago revered it as the bringer of plentiful harvests.
Platinum: It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests.
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Ancient people believed that petitioning Bronzong for rain was the way to make crops grow.
Black/White: It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests.
Black 2/White 2: In ages past, this Pokémon was revered as a bringer of rain. It was found buried in the ground.

Fron a flavor standpoint, it would make sense for Bronzong to get Drizzle. How would this change the metagame?

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I have one:

Pearl: It can summon rain clouds. People long ago revered it as the bringer of plentiful harvests.
Platinum: It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests.
HeartGold/SoulSilver: Ancient people believed that petitioning Bronzong for rain was the way to make crops grow.
Black/White: It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests.
Black 2/White 2: In ages past, this Pokémon was revered as a bringer of rain. It was found buried in the ground.

Fron a flavor standpoint, it would make sense for Bronzong to get Drizzle. How would this change the metagame?
Well, it one of the best counters to Tyranitar and Hippowdon, as well as easily walling Abomasnow too. This would make it much more viable as a weather starter compared to Politoed. It can set up SR, take on Gliscor and Landorus-T, and take on special attackers like Latias, Gengar, and Alakazam. While Politoed's bulky water role is already generally filled (usually by Tentacruel or Jellicent), so it's pretty redundant on rain stall teams. However, offensively speaking, Politoed out classes Bronzong, but in general I'd much rather Bronzong as my Drizzle starter, mainly because I prefer stall over offense.

Edit: I completely forgot that this would take away Levitate, meaning it can no longer counter Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and other Ground types. It's still a great option for Drizzle though, as it'd fill a similar role of Jirachi in that it can take on Latios, Gengar, Alakazam, and other special attackers. I still think it'd be a better option for rain stall teams.

Last edited:
Bronzong with drizzle would be weak to eq. If it had drizzle instead of politoad, then sand would rule all.

Rain would get a massive boost as now both Politoed and Bronzong can run rain, while rain also mitigates Bronzong's Fire-weakness.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Then it wouldn't be Spinda.

Alternately, it would go against any and every modification GameFreak had ever done to existing Pokémon. Adding moves that don't fit (AT ALL!) flavour-wise, AND changing its BST, completely without reason to do so? Dream on, dream on.

Repeating myself here because nobody replied last time: What if Featherdance had +2 priority?

Hey, it's been months since I've seen Murkrow. There's no need to bring him back.

Assuming anything better gets Feather Dance (can't check right now), well, we could probably kiss most physical sweepers goodbye. Only stuff with ExtremeSpeed would really be seen, and again, if Murkrow became even remotely popular again we'd still see physical sweepers drop off the map.

Regarding featherdance with priority-clear body metagross and defiant mons can counter it. Empoleon could act as a bulky wall with this and xatu would no longer be afraid of pursuit. But that's it really. Nothing else ou relevant gets it.

what if unnerve lowered spatk instead of its current effect?
in ubers mewtwo becomes more powerful but would it see any use in ou? Haxorus is the only one i think.
Tyranitar might actually see some use without sand stream, as it would essentially get the same special defense boost when switching in.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Tyranitar might actually see some use without sand stream, as it would essentially get the same special defense boost when switching in.
Not by anyone who knew what they were doing. Getting a boost that works only on the initial switch (and thus only on that one Pokemon) is definitely inferior to a boost that works indefinitely (read: until an opposing weather inducer comes in), the residual damage from sand helps Tyranitar take out opposing defenders, and sand is badly needed to keep an opposing rain/sun team from walking all over yours.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What if Keldeo, Terrakion, and all the horse musketeers could get Rattled through the Dream World?

Flavor Justification: Rattled (or bibiri in Japanese, means to get scared) seems fitting for Keldeo especially since we know horses go off the deep end when they get scared. While this ability seems to be the exact opposite of Justified flavorwise, its effect is similar to justified, and seems fitting enough thinking of horses/bulls getting spooked and running amok.

Competitive Fit: Being fighting types, they all resist both Bug- and Dark-, and can shrug off a stray Shadow Ball without too much trouble (especially Terakion in Sand). Justified is really hard to take advantage of, because most Dark attacks don't work on it (Pursuit, Sucker Punch), and it can be really hard to predict a Crunch. However, U-Turn is something I'll often have a Keldeo or Terakion absorb if I can predict it. Furthermore, a +1 Speed boost works really well with them since 108 is THE standard now for Choice Scarfers, and also allows them to blow past a lot of their usual checks (like Alakazam, Gengar, and Starmie). Rattle also works a lot better with Keldeo than Justified, for obvious reasons.

Consider the following situation:

My opponent has just switched in Scizor or Tyranitar into my Celebi-- Celebi Nasty Plots on the switch in. I then Baton Pass to Keldeo, as Scizor/Tyranitar uses Pursuit, Crunch, or U-Turn/Bug Bite. My Keldeo is now sitting at +2 SpA, +1 Speed. >: D

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Well Scarf Keldeo / Terrakion I think would become non exsitant, and the standard sets would either be Specs / Banded or Expert Belt / Sub SD. I think the speed boost might push Keldeo over the line, but I actually dont think Terrakuon would be broken, as with the +1 speed boost its still dealt with by the same fashion (priority from Scizor and Breloom, and Gliscor / Landorus - T). Scarf Latios I think would also see a ton of usage, and maybe even stuff like Scarf Starmie and Gengar might becone popular to check these two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)