Applying to college

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
As an aside, Princeton sends the nicest rejection letters. They basically said "It's not you, it's us. We think you could handle the academics we just don't have the room for you." Probably a canned response but it made me feel better about myself lol
I went to the University of Chicago college visit over the summer and the Dean of Admissions told us that wether or not you get in is usually out of your control "his example was the band director making him be extra lenient on letting trumpeters in for one year).

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Common App Essay is brutal. Supplemental ones are slightly better.

I'm applying to...

Northeastern
Tulane
Wisconsin
Georgia Tech
University of Miami
Vanderbilt
UGA
USC (South Carolina)
UTexas (Austin)
WPI (Worcester Poly)
Wake Forest
Clemson

EDing to Vanderbilt. I'd have no chance to get in if I didn't. I plan on majoring in Computer Science, don't think Vandy has a CS major though (so anywhere else). Any schools off the Common App I should just apply to that don't have supplements? I'm pretty nervous but Im 100% sure I'll get into at least some of them. I kind of want to go warm, I get really sick from the weather here when it's cold. I live in Massachusetts, reason why I'm applying to Northeastern and WPI. Madison is a sick city and Wisconsin is rolling so thats it for me. Haha.
Wisconsin is definitely a good choice, especially for CS. I might be biased though ;).

Looks like Maryland (College Park) might also be a good fit given the major and schools you are looking at.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i make a similar post in every college thread, so here goes:

the "better" the school, the more of a crapshoot admissions is on any given day. unless of course your parents donate / are famous, then it really doesn't matter.

if you have your heart set on a school, apply ED and don't look back, since it gives you the best chance at admission generally. if you aren't 100% sure, do EA / regular decision.

if it's at all possible, visit as many times as you can. if you can't visit, email the fuck out of admissions officers asking relevant questions about the program you want (not just stuff you can get with a quick google search either). admissions offices keep track of this stuff and it does factor in.

if you're reading this thread as a senior actually applying, its too late to change your "college profile" in a meaningful way unless you raise your SAT/ACT grades at the last second. if you're younger, start with extracurriculars/volunteer service sooner rather than later if you want to get into competitive schools.

most important: don't fucking panic, you'll be fine.

Wisconsin is definitely a good choice, especially for CS. I might be biased though ;).

Looks like Maryland (College Park) might also be a good fit given the major and schools you are looking at.
My mom went to Maryland I'll go and take a look though. Thanks!

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I went to the University of Chicago college visit over the summer and the Dean of Admissions told us that wether or not you get in is usually out of your control "his example was the band director making him be extra lenient on letting trumpeters in for one year).
just set aside, say 3-5% of the seats for Exra curriculars and Sports and make it a hard-and-fast rule imo. That way you can avoid bullying by the band director/football coach/drama teacher/choir leader to strengthen their group and the cost of the integrity of the admission process. Not exactly a solution but makes it more transparent IMO.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
just set aside, say 3-5% of the seats for Exra curriculars and Sports and make it a hard-and-fast rule imo. That way you can avoid bullying by the band director/football coach/drama teacher/choir leader to strengthen their group and the cost of the integrity of the admission process. Not exactly a solution but makes it more transparent IMO.
I wouldn't be shocked if the number of seats reserved for ECs was around 40-50 percent at some schools.

My rule of thumb: If getting into [School XYZ] would be the biggest thing to happen to you, you likely won't get into [School XYZ].

it's that time of the year again, and both the CommonApp and the UCAS (for those of you applying to the UK) are live. so, high school seniors of smogon - how's the application process going? where are you applying? for those of you already at college - what advice can you give us hopefuls?

i'm an international applicant applying to the USA - being a cookie-cutter indian looking for a CS/applied sciences course doesn't help my chances very much. nevertheless, besides my safety schools, i'm applying to some ivy leagues + some of the top engineering schools (MIT, caltech, etc.). i'm still working to strengthen my application - retaking the SAT soon; my first result was admittedly unsatisfactory (2100-something) and i'm hoping for at least a 2300 this time around. my only worry is a lack of sports on my application - i've played a little tennis and golf on an amateur level, but never a competitive sport on a varsity level. still, i doubt too many prospective CS majors would be very sporty, haha.

writing the essays for each and every college is a hassle, as is applying for financial aid. but hey - i'm sure it'll be worth it.
This was me last year, but I'm undecided about my major. We had a couple threads about it then too iirc, you may wanna see if you can find those.

Anyways, I'm a freshman at Carleton College now, which is a pretty great school for people who have no idea what they want to do. As far as advice goes, just get good grades and the like, and do extra-curriculars if you are applying to the US. Also, if you want to get into MIT or Stanford, etc, do a lot of internships and start with your essays early. Don't procrastinate on those, they are probably the most important part of the application. Also, sports are too important on their own, they just show that you aren't purely an academic.

My biggest regret for high school, despite getting into my dream school, was not caring about admissions until the spring of sophomore year. Thinking about it as early as some of my classmates did would have made me apply myself more.

Word to the wise: don't be me and wait until the last opportunity to do stuff like take sat subjects tests and do supplements. There's no worse feeling than taking the physics subject test at the last possible moment and realizing you understand bum fuck all.

Double word to the wise: if someone you know gets into and ivy/ other top school, don't be that kid who asks about their GPA or ECs. Seriously.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, as a first-year college student who's recently familiar with the college admissions process and looking for literally any reason to procrastinate doing his calculus homework, I'll hop on my e-soapbox and give some advice about applying to college/selecting schools. More the latter than the former.

This post obviously only applies to United States freshman undergraduate admissions. Smart PhD/Masters and non-American students can scroll down if they please ;)

1. College admissions are an investment, not a service contract.

Colleges care about what you're going to do, not what you've done. Think about what colleges look for; they're looking for people that are going to get a degree and use that degree to improve the reputation of the college and give back to the college down the road. Admissions officers are paid to sniff out the people that are most likely to do that; colleges are investing one of the seats in their class of 2018 in you so that you'll one day represent that college as an expert in whatever field you study. What does that mean? It means that not all 3.8 GPAs are created equal. If you slacked through your freshman year but pulled a 4.0 your last three, you look a ton better than the freshman-year hero who made straight B-minuses his junior year. Upward trends matter because what you did at age 17 matters a lot more than what you did at age 13. You're not going to be blacklisted by your dream schools just because you forgot to turn a paper in when you were 13 years old and got a crappy grade in English because of it if you demonstrated the maturity and responsibility to pull that grade up the next few years.

By the same token, if you peaked at age 14 and have been a complacent ass your last two years, expect colleges to look the other way. College admissions officers are looking for people that will make their university look great in the future, not looking to reward high school students who hit certain GPA and SAT benchmarks because their mommies and daddies made them. If you don't try on your essays and expect admission to XYZ University because your GPA and SAT exceed their accepted academic profile, don't be shocked when the acceptance letter goes to the kid next door. I can personally attest to this. I applied to Georgia Tech because I thought my 2350 SAT (far above their middle-50% of accepted students) would make them foam at the mouth with the possibility of me attending their school. I crapped through their essays, sent the application at the last second, and waited for the acceptance letter. I was waitlisted. They ultimately rejected me. I made myself look like an asshole with those essays (they weren't condescending or anything, just obvious "last-minute" essays) and Georgia Tech told me "If you didn't try on your essays, why would we expect you to try on our coursework?".

When building your application, think of why the college should invest a seat in their lectures and a bed in their dorms on you. Why are you going to be the next great University of _____ graduate?

2. Love your safety schools.

Most colleges can be boiled down into "reaches", "matches", and "safeties" based on how likely they are to admit you into their class. A "reach" is a school that you would be lucky to be admitted to, a "match" is a school where you would have a good, but not guaranteed, chance at admission, and a "safety" is a school that you won't lose any sleep over being admitted to. Assuming you have the finances to apply to many schools, it's likely that you'll be applying to some reach, match, and safety schools. When selecting your safety schools, don't think: "Ugh, what bad schools should I apply to in case I don't get in anywhere good?". When selecting your safety school, think: "What schools with high admission rates would I really like to go to?" The only difference between a "reach" school and a "safety" school is the admission rate. If you want to be an engineer but don't have the MIT/Stanford/CalTech profile, I guarantee you there are great engineering schools that you can get into that are 95% as good as those three. There is a chance that you have a bad day with admissions and only get into your safety, but you should be just as eager as the guy who got into his dream school. If you love your safety school, you can't lose at college admissions.

Do you want to be a businessman but don't have the grades for Harvard or UPenn? New York University is ranked 5th in the country* in business and accepts a less-than-intimidating 35% of its applicants. The University of Michigan is tied for 2nd* in the country and accepts 36.5% of its applicants. Indiana University-Bloomington is rated in the top ten* in business and accepts over 75% of its applicants. Are you a future engineer with no shot at MIT or Stanford? Georgia Tech is an elite engineering school that lets in over half of its applicants. Purdue University-West Lafayette is a top-ten* engineering school with an admission rate far above 50%. These are just a few examples; if you're looking for an Ivy-quality education without an Ivy-quality resume, check out what schools specialize in what you love. If you look hard enough, you will find safety schools that you would be honored to attend.

*These rankings are the 2014 editions of the U.S. News and World Report Undergraduate Business and Engineering rankings. More on these later.

Furthermore, you are not "too good" for your safety school. No matter what school you go to, odds are you aren't the smartest person there. If you're in your first class of 500 students, there's a 499/500 chance someone there is smarter than you, even if it's at your safety school. If you get snubbed by some schools and have to go to your safety, wear those rejection letters like a chip on your shoulder. Don't think "this school lets anyone in, I'll be the smartest person on campus." If you want to be the smartest person on campus, if you want to make straight-A's and come out with a 4.0, get ready to put in the hours. Just like you did in high school :)

3. College rankings are a guideline. Your goal is not to hit the high score on the US News Rankings List.

Let's face it. Every one of you has probably glanced at the U.S. News and World Report College Rankings at least once. I would like to remind you that these rankings are one publication's estimate of the prestige and quality of education of the country's universities. Moses did not come down from Mount Sinai with these rankings etched in stone and say: "Yahweh hath commanded you to research what schools your SAT scores correspond to, apply to the highest rated ones, and then see if you beat your friends in the Admissions Bowl!" For example, the University of Chicago is rated 5th in the country by the USNWR. If you're a pre-law student, you might pick it over Princeton because of how prestigious Chicago's Law School is. On the other hand, if you're a future engineer, you wouldn't bat an eyelash at Chicago because it doesn't offer engineering undergraduate majors. If you're a future engineer and want to study engineering, odds are you'd take the 41st-ranked University of Illinois over the top-5 Chicago. Don't fret over U.S. News rankings. Your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a higher school on the U.S. News list, your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a more selective school than you, and your friend is not smarter than you because they got into a school you didn't. College admissions are not an end-all be-all predictor of life success. To compare it to sports (about the only thing I'm good at making comparisons to), just because Princeton didn't draft you first overall doesn't mean you can't have a wonderful career playing for 62rd-ranked Clemson. If your friend gets into a great school (or any school, for that matter), congratulate them. If you get into a great school, be humble but excited. Getting into a great school isn't an accomplishment, getting a degree from a great school is.

Out of the two schools I got into, I chose the one lower on the USNWR rankings list. I do not regret my decision, but if I chose the other school I would probably be just as happy. If you're choosing between two schools you love, even if they're your safety schools, you're in a win-win situation.

Look at Walrein's post on the previous page. He is not any less intelligent because he wants to go to Missouri. If he were to turn down Princeton for Missouri, he does not magically lose IQ points. Neither will you. Go to the school that works best for you, not the generalized student reading the USNWR.

4. Start early on your applications. Apply at the right time to each of your schools.

You're competing with literally millions of people from across the globe for that chair in a lecture hall at Harvard. Every minute you're not working on an application is a minute where someone else is. Finish your essays early so more people can critique them. If your SATs are low, take them a second time. Remember, the second semester of high school literally could not matter less to your life (outside of AP Exams), so bust your ass now and take a well-deserved eight-month break from January to August. In fact, you probably wasted your entire ten-minute Smogon break reading this post, so get back to work!

If you have one, singular dream school, apply Early Decision. Start on your applications as soon as possible so you are totally finished by the time the Early Decision/Early Action deadlines roll around. Remember, you can't change your Common Application essays once you send them, so the real deadline for those essays is November, not January! Early Decision does increase your chances of getting into a school, so if you really want to boost your chances of getting in somewhere, apply ED. Your admission chances will never be higher. (Non-Restrictive) Early Action vs. Regular Decision isn't that much of a boost, so if you want to use the time between November and January to brush up your essays, SATs, SAT IIs, or GPA, then it's usually the better idea to wait.

5. Panic. Get stressed out. Lose sleep.

Because come June of 2014, you can look back and see how silly it was how stressed out you were over college admissions :P

Good luck to everyone applying to schools this year, may you all get into your dream schools! (and do well at them!)

Look I don't want to be a shameless school-promoter but Michigan has a library with like 4000 playable video games and a Pokemon club. Just saying.

any aussies doing their hsc and thinking about uac preferences - i will be looking forward to seeing you around uts!!

I posted this in the other College thread like over a year ago. I liked the post enough to go search for it. To preface, I am currently a Sophomore attending the University of Maryland, College Park. I am a Psychology and Criminology double major.

I guess I'll talk about my experiences with the college admissions process. I go to a magnet program for high school, so it's really hard getting into a good ivy or top college. We get a lot going into the ivies, and had a bunch of Yale, Cornell, Stanford, MIT, etc. I'll be posting this response as someone who did not get into ivies like that.

Just for the sake of context, my main "selling points" / stats would be: 2370 SAT, Debate Captain, Mock Trial Captain, 300 something? hours of community service, national merit finalist, 3.53/4.31 GPA (out of 4 and 5 respectively...D=), and attending this magnet program and the classes I've had the opportunity to take. This is pretty barebones, as every single high school senior has brainstormed lists of obscure shit to add to their apps--it's not wrong, everyone does it.

I got accepted to University of Maryland, Honors College (state school, with a 32,000 scholarship), Pennsylvania State Schreyer's Honors College, and Carnegie Mellon University. I got rejected from University of Pennsylvania (my ED school), Chicago University (I got deferred EA), and Johns Hopkins University. I'm waiting to see Columbia, but it's fucking stupid how unnecessarily complicated the procedure to see your scores is--and it's broken for fuck's sake. I'll let you know bojangles.

From my experiences, my own acceptances and rejections, my faults, and from watching my peers get into so many of these universities, here's my take on the "Dos and Don'ts" and my opinions or thoughts on some of the most important things.

1) It's a crapshoot. It sucks saying this, but going for a top college is honestly luck of the draw sometimes. Assuming you're another good student with good extracurriculars and scores etc....there are thousands of you. Even if you had the ability to get in to a school, and were "better" than someone else who got accepted, you might not necessarily get in. Keep in mind there are thousands of people fighting for every spot. Some may be better than you, and some might be worse. But the worse ones might get in, while you don't. It happens--it's unfortunate, but due to all of the factors that come together to make a single application, it's understandable. Don't beat yourself up or feel bad about yourself if you don't make a school. It's not necessarily your fault.

2) Race matters. This is the thing that I've come to realize the most through all of this, and it's really bugging me. One of my teachers, albeit in a joking way, pointed to one of the asian magnets and said "you're not getting in anywhere" and pointed to the black guy and said "you're getting in everywhere." We laughed--but he wasn't wrong. He proceeded to get into two top universities, even though all he had was a good GPA and nothing else. A lot of people who did so much more and were much more qualified did not. I'm not trying to say "he got into UPenn and I didn't because I'm Indian." I'm saying a black guy with a 3.9 GPA is more impressive than an asian guy with the same. This is unfortunately true.

3) Do not BS your SAT II's. It sucks but these matter too, more than you would think. You don't need to take like four or anything; the required two is fine. Just make sure you do well in them. I thought I was pretty set after I got my 800 in Math II. I didn't take another SAT II until my senior year of high school (I suck dick at science so I steered away from those) and I took the the Literature SAT II in my senior year. I thought I did really well but I got a 660 on it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to retake it and had to use that as the SAT II I sent in with my colleges. Yeah so that didn't work out too well for me, and I think it's a major reason I didn't get the acceptances I wanted. Leave yourself time to retake the SAT IIs (and the SAT I / ACT) if necessary. These are stupid, but important tests, and you don't want to leave yourself like me, crunched for time and having to accept a bad test score.

4) Teacher reqs don't matter too much. You can get the most beaming recommendation by your teachers, but unless they are to the point where your teacher is like "I would adopt this nigga if I could" they probably don't mean too much. Think about it. The only reason you go to a specific teacher for a recommendation is because you did well in that class, they like you, or they are a coach of a club you're in, or you have a specific relationship with them, right? How many thousands of letters do you think colleges get saying "He's a good kid. He does the work, he's trustworthy, he's nice, he's smart, I coach his baseball team so I know he's hardworking, etc" ? Pretty much they only matter if they don't suck. Colleges are mainly making sure they aren't bad; so they still matter, they just don't really help you. Unless you're like...god, and your teacher says something similar.

5) Senior year matters. Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you can take loaf classes and fail them all. Most universities ask for a midyear report, so they can see the classes you are taking and how you are doing in them. I have seen some of my last year's seniors get their acceptances into MIT or Yale or whatever revoked because they completely disregarded senior year. Don't fuck up.

6) Colleges like to be surprised. They're happier hearing about the Asian kid who's a nationally ranked athlete as opposed to the Asian kid who's been doing math competitions since he was three (obvious exception is if you're like winning competitions and are incredibly top class of course). If you surprise them--if you do something really cool, something people like you normally don't do, etc--they're more likely to remember your application and to bring it up when discussing. Hooks matter so much. Cool I'm an Indian who's a debate captain. HEY DID YOU SEE THAT BROWN GUY WHO IS THE CAPTAIN OF HIS SCHOOL'S VARSITY BASKETBALL TEAM???? That sort of thing matters a lot.

7) Resume pushing can help you. If you aren't one of those national ranked athletes or regional debate champion or something, you might want to start building yourself a good resume. Most people say it's best to develop a specific thing you're good at, or focus your interests and activities. That's what I do. My interests lie in law and psychology, my activities focus on those, etc. I didn't do so to develop a hook for college; I did so because that's where my interests naturally veered to. But I didn't have any debate achievements (my only achievements coming from my season this year, so it was too late for colleges to hear about them) nor was our mock trial team particularly good, so it didn't even mean all that much. One of my friends was in the same way. She's smart and hardworking, but didn't really have anything she was too good at. So she resume pushed the fuck out of everything. National Honor's societies, clubs, everything she could get a position of authority in. Bitch is going to MIT.

8) Take the most vigorous courses you can. This might seem obvious, but if you have the opportunity to take classes like I might have, or have a great AP program at your school--you just seem lazy if you don't take them. Colleges want to make sure you're doing the most work you can and that you're taking all of the opportunities you can. However, make sure you know your own strengths. I know I'm absolute ass at science, so I'm not taking them. Instead, I'm bulking up on Math, Computer Science, and Social Studies courses (Magnet / AP classes). If you know you can get an A or a B, you're just hurting yourself by not taking the harder courses. Plus the more difficult ones are just more interesting than shit like Photography 3.

9) Nobody else is going to root for you. You need to be the person who talks about his own strengths. You're the one that needs to show colleges how you're a candidate that they want. If you started a club at your school, really explain how you started it, where the idea came from, how you got members, how you advertised--the whole sch-bang. There's no one who's going to be making these connections for you, or who knows you enough to figure out what you've done. Keep a resume, and make a list of things you've done. Try and make connections that might not even be that strong. Paint a picture of yourself that's like a Greek God. Nobody in that admissions board knows you--nor will they verify that instead of "starting a club" you "created a club at school that focused on generating revenues to provide donations to various charities in a completely unique way." If you did cool shit, MAKE IT CLEAR.

10) Take the fucking money. Having high standards when it comes to college admissions is the worst. I would be lying if I didn't say earlier my senior year that "I don't want to go to the University of Maryland. It would be like I wasted my high school life going to that school." I had conversations like that a lot with friends who felt the same way. We worked hard, right? We deserve to go to an ivy league school, and are willing to pay through the nose to go there! That's not the best idea. Now I'm looking at my main decision and that's University of Maryland or Carnegie Mellon. On one side, I'm paying in state tuition and have a scholarship that basically pays my entire tuition for four years, along with enough AP credits to get out of an entire year. I don't have any of that at Carnegie Mellon. Instead of paying through the nose (66k a year about), I'm probably going to go to Maryland, as it's significantly cheaper. I've seen people turn down a full ride to CalTech just so they can go to MIT--and pay 100%. Think about your financial future.

11) Undergrad doesn't really matter that much. What gets you jobs and what means the most is grad school. It might be cool that you went to Harvard for four years, but if you suck at Harvard, or have thousands of dollars of debt...you're in for a tough time for grad school, which is what actually gets you your jobs. Don't fret that you're not getting an ivy league education. Do your best where you go and snag that 4.0, and then you might very well get an ivy league education in the future.

12) Lower your standards. There's nothing worse than that guy who says "I'M GOING TO PRINCETON STANFORD HARVARD OR YALE, AND I'M NOT APPLYING ANYWHERE ELSE." This is probably the most important thing I can recommend. Pick your safetys. Fuck, pick a safety safety. And pick schools that are good and you think you can get into. Then the tier higher than that. Then your dream schools. You might get ooohs and aaahs that your applications are going to the top universities, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't get in anywhere. Take this into account when you apply. Take into account price, location, and how likely you are to get in. Then apply to schools that you'll get money from and are sure you'll get into. You want to guarantee those four years--they get you into grad school. You don't want to come out with debt, or not get accepted anywhere. As I mentioned, I had those conversations like "I don't want to go to University of Maryland!" But I still applied, of course. In state tuition, and it's a pretty decent school. Would you look at that...I got in and am most likely going there. I could have made a list of "UPenn Brown Cornell Harvard Stanford Yale Princeton" but 0/7 doesn't guarantee a future for me.

These are many of the things I feel like I've learned about the admissions process. It might be unique due to the amazing people I'm surrounded by, and how inadequate I am compared to them. But these are the most important things in my opinion.

But seriously. Take the fucking money. That's what'll keep you secure for further education.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I posted this in the other College thread like over a year ago. I liked the post enough to go search for it. To preface, I am currently a Sophomore attending the University of Maryland, College Park. I am a Psychology and Criminology double major.

I guess I'll talk about my experiences with the college admissions process. I go to a magnet program for high school, so it's really hard getting into a good ivy or top college. We get a lot going into the ivies, and had a bunch of Yale, Cornell, Stanford, MIT, etc. I'll be posting this response as someone who did not get into ivies like that.

Just for the sake of context, my main "selling points" / stats would be: 2370 SAT, Debate Captain, Mock Trial Captain, 300 something? hours of community service, national merit finalist, 3.53/4.31 GPA (out of 4 and 5 respectively...D=), and attending this magnet program and the classes I've had the opportunity to take. This is pretty barebones, as every single high school senior has brainstormed lists of obscure shit to add to their apps--it's not wrong, everyone does it.

I got accepted to University of Maryland, Honors College (state school, with a 32,000 scholarship), Pennsylvania State Schreyer's Honors College, and Carnegie Mellon University. I got rejected from University of Pennsylvania (my ED school), Chicago University (I got deferred EA), and Johns Hopkins University. I'm waiting to see Columbia, but it's fucking stupid how unnecessarily complicated the procedure to see your scores is--and it's broken for fuck's sake. I'll let you know bojangles.

From my experiences, my own acceptances and rejections, my faults, and from watching my peers get into so many of these universities, here's my take on the "Dos and Don'ts" and my opinions or thoughts on some of the most important things.

1) It's a crapshoot. It sucks saying this, but going for a top college is honestly luck of the draw sometimes. Assuming you're another good student with good extracurriculars and scores etc....there are thousands of you. Even if you had the ability to get in to a school, and were "better" than someone else who got accepted, you might not necessarily get in. Keep in mind there are thousands of people fighting for every spot. Some may be better than you, and some might be worse. But the worse ones might get in, while you don't. It happens--it's unfortunate, but due to all of the factors that come together to make a single application, it's understandable. Don't beat yourself up or feel bad about yourself if you don't make a school. It's not necessarily your fault.

2) Race matters. This is the thing that I've come to realize the most through all of this, and it's really bugging me. One of my teachers, albeit in a joking way, pointed to one of the asian magnets and said "you're not getting in anywhere" and pointed to the black guy and said "you're getting in everywhere." We laughed--but he wasn't wrong. He proceeded to get into two top universities, even though all he had was a good GPA and nothing else. A lot of people who did so much more and were much more qualified did not. I'm not trying to say "he got into UPenn and I didn't because I'm Indian." I'm saying a black guy with a 3.9 GPA is more impressive than an asian guy with the same. This is unfortunately true.

3) Do not BS your SAT II's. It sucks but these matter too, more than you would think. You don't need to take like four or anything; the required two is fine. Just make sure you do well in them. I thought I was pretty set after I got my 800 in Math II. I didn't take another SAT II until my senior year of high school (I suck dick at science so I steered away from those) and I took the the Literature SAT II in my senior year. I thought I did really well but I got a 660 on it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to retake it and had to use that as the SAT II I sent in with my colleges. Yeah so that didn't work out too well for me, and I think it's a major reason I didn't get the acceptances I wanted. Leave yourself time to retake the SAT IIs (and the SAT I / ACT) if necessary. These are stupid, but important tests, and you don't want to leave yourself like me, crunched for time and having to accept a bad test score.

4) Teacher reqs don't matter too much. You can get the most beaming recommendation by your teachers, but unless they are to the point where your teacher is like "I would adopt this nigga if I could" they probably don't mean too much. Think about it. The only reason you go to a specific teacher for a recommendation is because you did well in that class, they like you, or they are a coach of a club you're in, or you have a specific relationship with them, right? How many thousands of letters do you think colleges get saying "He's a good kid. He does the work, he's trustworthy, he's nice, he's smart, I coach his baseball team so I know he's hardworking, etc" ? Pretty much they only matter if they don't suck. Colleges are mainly making sure they aren't bad; so they still matter, they just don't really help you. Unless you're like...god, and your teacher says something similar.

5) Senior year matters. Just because you're a senior doesn't mean you can take loaf classes and fail them all. Most universities ask for a midyear report, so they can see the classes you are taking and how you are doing in them. I have seen some of my last year's seniors get their acceptances into MIT or Yale or whatever revoked because they completely disregarded senior year. Don't fuck up.

6) Colleges like to be surprised. They're happier hearing about the Asian kid who's a nationally ranked athlete as opposed to the Asian kid who's been doing math competitions since he was three (obvious exception is if you're like winning competitions and are incredibly top class of course). If you surprise them--if you do something really cool, something people like you normally don't do, etc--they're more likely to remember your application and to bring it up when discussing. Hooks matter so much. Cool I'm an Indian who's a debate captain. HEY DID YOU SEE THAT BROWN GUY WHO IS THE CAPTAIN OF HIS SCHOOL'S VARSITY BASKETBALL TEAM???? That sort of thing matters a lot.

7) Resume pushing can help you. If you aren't one of those national ranked athletes or regional debate champion or something, you might want to start building yourself a good resume. Most people say it's best to develop a specific thing you're good at, or focus your interests and activities. That's what I do. My interests lie in law and psychology, my activities focus on those, etc. I didn't do so to develop a hook for college; I did so because that's where my interests naturally veered to. But I didn't have any debate achievements (my only achievements coming from my season this year, so it was too late for colleges to hear about them) nor was our mock trial team particularly good, so it didn't even mean all that much. One of my friends was in the same way. She's smart and hardworking, but didn't really have anything she was too good at. So she resume pushed the fuck out of everything. National Honor's societies, clubs, everything she could get a position of authority in. Bitch is going to MIT.

8) Take the most vigorous courses you can. This might seem obvious, but if you have the opportunity to take classes like I might have, or have a great AP program at your school--you just seem lazy if you don't take them. Colleges want to make sure you're doing the most work you can and that you're taking all of the opportunities you can. However, make sure you know your own strengths. I know I'm absolute ass at science, so I'm not taking them. Instead, I'm bulking up on Math, Computer Science, and Social Studies courses (Magnet / AP classes). If you know you can get an A or a B, you're just hurting yourself by not taking the harder courses. Plus the more difficult ones are just more interesting than shit like Photography 3.

9) Nobody else is going to root for you. You need to be the person who talks about his own strengths. You're the one that needs to show colleges how you're a candidate that they want. If you started a club at your school, really explain how you started it, where the idea came from, how you got members, how you advertised--the whole sch-bang. There's no one who's going to be making these connections for you, or who knows you enough to figure out what you've done. Keep a resume, and make a list of things you've done. Try and make connections that might not even be that strong. Paint a picture of yourself that's like a Greek God. Nobody in that admissions board knows you--nor will they verify that instead of "starting a club" you "created a club at school that focused on generating revenues to provide donations to various charities in a completely unique way." If you did cool shit, MAKE IT CLEAR.

10) Take the fucking money. Having high standards when it comes to college admissions is the worst. I would be lying if I didn't say earlier my senior year that "I don't want to go to the University of Maryland. It would be like I wasted my high school life going to that school." I had conversations like that a lot with friends who felt the same way. We worked hard, right? We deserve to go to an ivy league school, and are willing to pay through the nose to go there! That's not the best idea. Now I'm looking at my main decision and that's University of Maryland or Carnegie Mellon. On one side, I'm paying in state tuition and have a scholarship that basically pays my entire tuition for four years, along with enough AP credits to get out of an entire year. I don't have any of that at Carnegie Mellon. Instead of paying through the nose (66k a year about), I'm probably going to go to Maryland, as it's significantly cheaper. I've seen people turn down a full ride to CalTech just so they can go to MIT--and pay 100%. Think about your financial future.

11) Undergrad doesn't really matter that much. What gets you jobs and what means the most is grad school. It might be cool that you went to Harvard for four years, but if you suck at Harvard, or have thousands of dollars of debt...you're in for a tough time for grad school, which is what actually gets you your jobs. Don't fret that you're not getting an ivy league education. Do your best where you go and snag that 4.0, and then you might very well get an ivy league education in the future.

12) Lower your standards. There's nothing worse than that guy who says "I'M GOING TO PRINCETON STANFORD HARVARD OR YALE, AND I'M NOT APPLYING ANYWHERE ELSE." This is probably the most important thing I can recommend. Pick your safetys. Fuck, pick a safety safety. And pick schools that are good and you think you can get into. Then the tier higher than that. Then your dream schools. You might get ooohs and aaahs that your applications are going to the top universities, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't get in anywhere. Take this into account when you apply. Take into account price, location, and how likely you are to get in. Then apply to schools that you'll get money from and are sure you'll get into. You want to guarantee those four years--they get you into grad school. You don't want to come out with debt, or not get accepted anywhere. As I mentioned, I had those conversations like "I don't want to go to University of Maryland!" But I still applied, of course. In state tuition, and it's a pretty decent school. Would you look at that...I got in and am most likely going there. I could have made a list of "UPenn Brown Cornell Harvard Stanford Yale Princeton" but 0/7 doesn't guarantee a future for me.

These are many of the things I feel like I've learned about the admissions process. It might be unique due to the amazing people I'm surrounded by, and how inadequate I am compared to them. But these are the most important things in my opinion.

But seriously. Take the fucking money. That's what'll keep you secure for further education.
These are so true.
Especially the "being different" one.

I just remembered how shocking it was when I heard my schoolmate didn't get into Oxford/ Cambridge with 6A's, PLUS 2 gold medals in Biology Olympia.
Then another schoolmate got into Oxford with only 2A's 1 B but was athletic.
(Same school, same gender, same race, same country of birth)
One year later, another who used to represent North Yorkshire for swimming got offers from Oxford biology and Edinburgh veterinary medicine.

Back then I didn't understand why one gave me an offer with scholarship. (My exam results aren't that great. I was nearly the bottom of my class.)
Now I think it's because I mentioned "I sold 6 paintings in Comic World"
Reality was that those were Pokemon painted on tiny seashells, sold at $8 HKD each. (That's... just a little more than 1 US dollar) :P

Last edited:
Plan on majoring in Applied Math. I'm gonna EA Princeton. Realistically I don't think I have that good of a chance since basically half my school is applying there (magnet high school in NJ), but we will see.

People who play Pokemon have very high SAT scores... I wonder why.
I suppose it is selection bias as people only talk about "high" SAT scores or perhaps understanding the strategy and tactics of competitive Pokemon battling requires the same type of intelligence that the SAT captures (as both activities may be high loaded on Spearman's general intelligence factor).

----
As for myself, I scored in the mid 1200s on my SAT, and receiving the scores was most psychologically dejecting experience I ever experienced -- more so than being in an acute DKA episode, in a state of tachycardia (115 bpm, no exercise) and so dehydrated that I could barely speak coherently without sipping on water or eating ice every minute, a few months ago when I had an IV to replenish my lost electrolytes and exogenous insulin. I was told that I had a blood sugar of 600 mg/dL and I realized that I now needed exogenous insulin to live (and I knew what was happening to me because of my knowledge of biochemistry even in that stupor). I really did not feel discouraged or insecure then because I realized that once I left the hospital I could just live my life and responsibly manage my blood sugar to prevent any morbidity in the future.

I scored so "low" because I was intimidated by the test (in retrospect the proctor or the other examinees may be Landorous-T, Gyarados, or Salamence) as I often second guessed myself even for "easy" question as I thought there was some hidden ruse that was not able perceive, so I was not able to proceed to the more difficult questions, nor did I adequately prepare myself by becoming familiar with the format of the test. Also, I am a highly neurotic person, as I am quite prone to anxiety when exposed to moderate stressors and unfamiliar environments, and I had about nine cumulative hours of sleep two days before the test. I underscored my potential score approximately 200 points due to the extraordinary circumstances I was under (as that magnitude of a depression is quite rare) since my abilities are around the mid 1400 range as indicated by my GRE scores and results on SAT practice tests (low 700s on M and high 700s on CR/V).

It seems that many participants have much self-confidence due to the acclamation they received from their parents and teachers and affirmation by their superior performance on standardized tests while in stark contrast I did not have that (although my mother was irrationally optimistic about my prospects) and I felt I was living in the shadow of the academically talented peers in high school. This feeling of inferiority was baton-passed when I enter college, although I was initially motivated to become a new woman in college as I was driven to succeed academically in college and graduate school so I could fulfill my aspiration of becoming the principal investigator of an academic research lab, and it eventually caused be to be mired in self-doubt and apathy which caused my academic performance to plummet after the second semester. As an introverted autistic person, I primarily indulged myself in intellectual interests outside of my designed area of study (cell and molecular biology) such as theology, ethics, history, philosophy, and economics and was the Kanto and Johto episodes of Pokemon for hours. Ironically, I was more engrossed into Pokemon as a young adult woman (although I had a petite figure and looked and acted like a socially naive teenage girl who did not have menarche yet) rather than as an adolescent when Pokemon was at the pinnacle of its popularity. The allure of Pokemon were the feelings of camaraderie among Ash, Misty, and Brock, the childish innocence and compassion of the protagonist, and the many perceived similarities in our personality that Misty and I share. Still, despite being disengaged, I managed to graduate with a 3.2 GPA in Cell and Molecular Biology, just by completing about 66% of assignments often with compromised quality or incomplete as they were usually done in the rush of procrastination, and with minimal studying for exams (as I primarily used the library to read books relating to my aforementioned interests and to browse the Internet). I personally do not feel that this "accomplishment" of graduating in a STEM major (and I am not proud of it) would be even possible if my true abilities were in the 1200 range. I

I doubt I could empathize with many posters here for that reason. I cannot offer much encouragement since I do not have much self-confidence, although some of my doubts and anxiety have resolved. I really did not regret anything though although I failed to fulfill my dreams or attain a prestigious or lucrative career due to my education. I am still on the Sinai Peninsula, wandering the desert, most certainly not in the land of milk and honey.

---

I am currently looking at colleges but at the same time, I feel kind of screwed. Due to my medical history I have missed a ridiculous amount of days of school. I am barely gonna pass with all my credits this year because of that and even now I still have issues screwing me over. Any advice on what to do when it comes to deciding on a college when my grades are piss poor due to illness?

Plan on doing something in math/physics/engineering/art/animation. Or anything that I can do where I can help people for a living.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am currently looking at colleges but at the same time, I feel kind of screwed. Due to my medical history I have missed a ridiculous amount of days of school. I am barely gonna pass with all my credits this year because of that and even now I still have issues screwing me over. Any advice on what to do when it comes to deciding on a college when my grades are piss poor due to illness?

Plan on doing something in math/physics/engineering/art/animation. Or anything that I can do where I can help people for a living.
make sure you write about your circumstances in your application. look for local community colleges that have a transfer program after a year or two into a larger university. that way, if you dont get into a school you want, you can go to a community college, get excellent grades, get your general education courses done, and then transfer to the larger university to complete your degree. it may not be ideal, but schools will only overlook bad grades to a point, since they don't know anything about you except those grades.

edit: i also don't know what calm mind latias is smoking but a 2100 on the SAT is more than enough for most schools*

*college admissions is still, and always will be, a crapshoot

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so the common app has been a piece of trash (who wouldve guessed?) and i figured i'd ask how any early decision appliers were doing because of that. i hope it doesn't mess anyone up :(

some of my friends have already gotten acceptances to indiana & tulane so i've been seeing a lot of that on facebook and feeling the pressure UGH

so the common app has been a piece of trash (who wouldve guessed?) and i figured i'd ask how any early decision appliers were doing because of that. i hope it doesn't mess anyone up :(
I have given up on trying to figure out how to get indentations in my paragraph, but other than that everything has been good. I've heard my friends say that information entered sometimes randomly disappears, but that has not happened to me yet. Hopefully it does not since I finished my Common App and do not feel like going back and making sure all my information is still there.

I'm only applying early to MIT (visiting Boston tomorrow!), Chicago, Purdue, and Virginia because I don't want to deal with early decision or whatever. I had already done most of the common app and the main essay before it went down, but some of my stuff was gone when it came back. The only thing stopping me now if my own lack of motivation to write supplements (although MIT has a mandatory interview and the interviewer hasn't emailed me back after a week and I'm starting to get a little worried).

the worst part about applying to the top top schools are reading about all those people who are perfect everything. i keep seeing these threads on college confidential where people are like "oh no i haven't done anything really important can i still get into <top school here> with perfect gpa, 2400 sat, 36 act, 800 subject tests, long list of extracurriculars" and so on. i mean like, if these "perfect" people can't get accepted what chance do i have???

it's like ugh, i blew it not joining the math club or starting a charity, or playing 8 varsity sports or building a nuclear reactor in my basement!

yeah this wasn't supposed to be a sob story or anything (i know i should be happy that i even have a shot at schools like MIT, chicago!) but i mean i guess i just need to stop being so darn sensitive - so i suppose the point is that college admissions at the end of the day are a crapshoot so don't get down if you aren't as good as other people!!! some dude built a nuclear reactor in his basement and didn't get accepted to MIT, so yeah

honestly i really dislike the whole pressurized environment of the application process, but i mean with so many qualified kids these days i'm not sure if there really is any other option that works

I got GRE exam results back today, with 98th, 97th and 54th percentiles in math, reading and writing sections respectively. I'll be applying to physics or electrical engineering departments, so I hope the writing score won't kill any chances I have (it seems like a bare minimum for some schools). Working on letters of reference and so forth, but I still have no clue where I want to go for graduate studies. If anyone in a STEM graduate program has any advice on applications, I'd be keen to hear it. (I'm looking at anywhere, not just North America.)

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just got an offer from Warwick - I don't particularly want to go there but it's oh so nice to feel wanted, especially as so many of my friends had already had offers.

I don't have as much as others do to add to this thread, but I'm currently studying to get in to the Indian Institute of Technology or BITS. Both colleges admission criteria are entirely based off you doing amazingly in their respective entrance tests with an acceptance rate of around 10,000 out of 500,000. I'm in 11th grade (IIRC, it's called junior in the USA?) so I still have a couple of years left before the studying pressure goes out of the roof!

On another note, how effective/useful is the SAT at measuring a student's IQ? How long is the average prep time for one to get a 2250+ score in the SAT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)