Leech Seed
Bulk Up
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Shadow Claw
Substitute
Toxic
Wood Hammer

Chesnaught is a very interesting case. He's normally a pretty standard Pokemon with solid stats and a good movepool, but overall he's sort of 'meh'. All of that changes when you see his HA, Bulletproof, which in a nutshell, walls quite a few special attacks from the likes of Gengar-M and Blastoise-M. He gets access to gems such as Spikes, Leech Seed, Taunt, and Synthesis, which work fantastically when you consider that with Chesnaught's Grass / Fighting typings and Bulletproof, you have yourself what seems like the definition of "anti-spinner hazard user." It also comes with the above average 107 Attack stat, which lets Chesnaught do something other than sit there: It can wreck face with the move of choice, Wood Hammer or Seed Bomb.

Chesnaught isn't without it's flaws, though. It comes with many weaknesses for a defensive Pokemon, many of which are special moves that it can't block with Bulletproof, as well as issues with it's subpar attacking movepool. If you can get across this bridge, you have a very versatile and effective utility Pokemon in your hands.

set name: Utility Tank
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Synthesis
move 3: Hammer Arm
move 4: Stone Edge / Roar / Leech Seed
item: Leftovers
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

This is the best set Chesnaught can run without being outclassed by other Fighting-types (Aside from Assault Vest, but that's a different story). Chesnaught can act as your entry hazard user with Spikes. Synthesis is a blessing to Chesnaught, bringing it reliable recovery while setting up, letting you set up Spikes all throughout the match. Hammer Arm is a solid STAB move, dealing plenty of damage to many spinblocker such as Excadrill. Stone Edge hits many Defog users for SE damage, such as the most commons ones, Crobat and Talonflame. Roar can phaze many boosting sweepers, even through Substitutes, such as SubCM Sylveon and Shell Smash Barbarcle, etc. Lastly, Leech Seed can be used for fun stalling shenanigans.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources:

http://pokemondb.net/pokedex/chesnaught
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/chesnaught.3489678/

Last edited:
Off the top of my head,
Energy Ball
Seed Bomb
Mud Bomb
Weather Ball
Gyro Ball
Electro Ball
....Explosion? Bullet Punch?

Only common stuff are gyro ball, seed bomb and energy ball, maybe electro ball if sticky web galvantula gets popular. It already resists everything bar gyro ball.Then again bulletproof might not even resist all of these.

Also ferrothorn is completely fucked by this thing.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Off the top of my head,
Energy Ball
Seed Bomb
Mud Bomb
Weather Ball
Gyro Ball
Electro Ball
....Explosion? Bullet Punch?

Only common stuff are gyro ball, seed bomb and energy ball, maybe electro ball if sticky web galvantula gets popular. It already resists everything bar gyro ball.Then again bulletproof might not even resist all of these.

Also ferrothorn is completely fucked by this thing.
Sludge bomb is a bomb move so that should be cool. However I believe that his ability needs a pile of testing before making any assumptions.

Bomb moves (or at least moves with the word "bomb" in their names):
Egg Bomb
Sludge Bomb
Magnet Bomb
Mud Bomb
Seed Bomb
Acid Spray (Japanese: Acid Bomb)
Selfdestruct (Japanese: Suicide Bomb)
Searing Shot (Japanese: Flame Bomb)
Aura Sphere (Japanese: Wave Bomb)

Ball moves (or at least moves with the word "ball" in their names):
Weather Ball
Ice Ball
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Gyro Ball
Mist Ball
Electro Ball
Barrage (Japanese: Ball Throw)

As mentioned above, not a lot of these get the best usage... Sludge Bomb, Seed Bomb, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball are most commonly seen. Looks like Chesnaught wasn't given the most useful of abilities, especially considering that it already resists two of these four moves...

It does have amusing applications in protecting it from Gengar's most probable choice of two move coverage (Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball).

It does have amusing applications in protecting it from Gengar's most probable choice of two move coverage (Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball).
This was actually my first thought, Chestnaut has Gengar protection (unless they run Psychic for some absurd reason)

I can see this guy going into a good old Bulky Attacker role in the lower tiers, where 100 Base Attack is a bit more impressive.

Correction: If Gengar could LEARN Sludge Wave, he would be using it over Sludge Bomb.
Correction: Gengar can get Sludge Wave since Gastly gets it through the Dream World. However, unless some Bulletproof users start gaining a lot of popularity and can actually shut Sludge Bomb Gengar down, it probably won't be worth giving up a 30% chance to poison for 5 measly BP.

What sort of protection does Bulletproof give? Half, everything, or something else?

And have we confirmed that it works on the moves we'd expect?

Correction: Gengar can get Sludge Wave since Gastly gets it through the Dream World. However, unless some Bulletproof users start gaining a lot of popularity and can actually shut Sludge Bomb Gengar down, it probably won't be worth giving up a 30% chance to poison for 5 measly BP.
I was unaware of that. You're right about the poison chance, though, five extra power PROBABLY isn't securing any KOs.

It also gets Hammer Arm from Move Tutoring, so it wouldn't be complete Taunt bait in the chance it did get Taunted on a Subseed set. The speed drop wouldn't be that important when you're not really aiming for speed.

Edit: I just saw the Hammer Arm on there already, my bad.

Oh, this guy learns Shadow Claw?

That. Changes. Everything

V1:
Leftovers
Shadow Claw
Close Combat
Subsitute
Pain Split

V2:
@Assault Vest
Close Combat
Shadow Claw
HP Ice(lol)
Wood Hamer

Set name: Fuck Gengar

Why wouldn't the extra 5 BP be worth it? Normal poison is the least useful status in the game and with its paper-thin defenses Gengar needs to score immediate KO's before the opponent can react. Sludge Wave is definitely superior than Sludge Bomb on Gengar and that's why Chesnaught can't check it.
Well, what's that 5 extra power helping you KO, and is it enough to justify losing a 30% chance to poison (i.e. the same chance Scald has to burn, and we all know how fun that is)? Despite the fact that normal poison isn't as useful as other statuses, being able to knock off 1/8 of your opponent's health every turn is invaluable for an offensive Pokemon. Against defensive switch-ins, you just effectively reversed their Leftovers. Those without Leftovers take the full brunt of the damage, which will really stack up alongside other forms of passive damage (mainly hazards). Why do you think the standard Haunter sets in NU run Sludge Bomb and not Sludge Wave? It's simply because having a better chance to poison something and gain that passive damage outweighs the benefits of that extra 5 BP more often than not.

Holy cow, that was a lot of comments. Unfortunately, Chesnaught hasn't been confirmed to get Drain Punch. I presume that it might (this is the don't-get-your-hopes-up kind of might) get it from Egg, but I have no evidence of this.

I'm going to wait for at least 2 more votes before I add the two Bulk Up sets to the OP.

Well, what's that 5 extra power helping you KO, and is it enough to justify losing a 30% chance to poison (i.e. the same chance Scald has to burn, and we all know how fun that is)?
Normal poison offers veeeeery little benefit. It's sometimes worse than applying no status all, if you wanted to apply something else to them instead.

Right before I made one.

Oh anyways, well it learns Power-Up Punch which it can use to gain a boost as it picks off weaker pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)