Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been estimated at around base 80. What I want to know is if Malamar can KO Galvantula to prevent it from setting Sticky Web again.

Are you serious?

"Malimar has Contrary too, but being Psychic/Dark there's no way it can actually come in on Galvantula."

Does not imply Malimar needs to switch into it. Force it out/to faint with something else, then bring Malimar in. Galvantula will have a hard time switching back in and not be 2HKO'd unless it remains faster.

"What can Malamar do against Galvantula? Can it OHKO it before it's OHKO'd by Bug Buzz?"

Again, does not imply that Malamar (however it's really spelled, I think this is it) needs to switch in to Galvantula.

I hope that clears things up.

@ LordofBays: If base 80 or around that is true, then it sounds pretty viable (being able to outspeed Galvantula w/a boost). Malamar would have to have a strong STAB attack to OHKO it, or else be lucky enough to be able to learn Stone Edge or Fire Blast.

Last edited:
Pretty badass that Galvantula gets it(as if anyone was really surprised), but I really need to know if Gligar/Gliscor gets it as well. Anyone have a Gligar/Gliscor to breed with?

OU Galvantula here we come!
Alrighty then, set making time! For real, this time!

name: Offensive
move 1: Thunder
move 2: Bug Buzz / Hidden Power Ice
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Energy Ball / Volt Switch
move 4: Sticky Web
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash
nature: Timid
ability: Compoundeyes
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Sticky Web and Thunder also allow Galvantula to deal with Starmie and Tentacruel VERY comfortably, so it'll be hard to Spin.
Don't forget he has U-Turn as well. With his great speed he's great at keeping momentum and allows for him to escape from Dugtrio.

Pretty badass that Galvantula gets it(as if anyone was really surprised), but I really need to know if Gligar/Gliscor gets it as well. Anyone have a Gligar/Gliscor to breed with?
Are they bugs? Do they have webs? No. They have stingers. Don't get your hopes up lol

May Arceus have mercy on our souls.

Galvantula is going to completely change how this game is played, mark my words.
Galvantula is one of my favorite pokemon of all time. Ever since I heard rumors of this move I knew it was going to end up getting it =D

This guy is going on every single one of my teams ^^

Last edited:
I'm sure no one cares but for the heck of it I went to the Move Reminder to see if Vespiquen can learn Sticky Web. Alas, it does not. It might learn it by level up but I really doubt it.
On a side note, I am really looking to using Sticky Web Galvantula or whoever as most of my favorite pokemon have really high attack stats but mediocre speed.

Are they bugs? Do they have webs? No. They have stingers. Don't get your hopes up lol
This has been proven to get sticky web

This thing is a worm-turtle.

--------------------------------------------------------

Another thing that caught my attention: In BW 1, Clay's Krokorok used bulldoze to clear the cave entrance from Galvantula's/Joltik's web. Could gamefreak be that bright enough?

Who am I kidding of course not.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but Galvantula's Hp Ice and STAB Thunder happens to strike most of the unaffected pokemon (By sticky web that is.) for Super Effective damage, which is really convenient.

Why would it have to? Malamar BENEFITS from Sticky Web. If Sticky Web is out, Malamar is HAPPY. It never needs to see the Galvantula.
Remember, team preview exists. If I had a Galvantula and saw the opponent had a Malamar/any other Contrary Pokémon, I would most definitely not put sticky web up, unless they had something that would sweep me otherwise. Giving the opponent a speed boost should be avoided.

On a different note, this could really shake up the metagame. Heatran can now outspeed Gengar without a scarf (although there is Mega, now).

Galvantula is good enough for this move to become standard. It's time to start taking this into account when making teams.

I predict that outside of spinning people might start carrying a Trick Room user to be anti-meta. TR Life Orb Reuniclus may become way more common if Sticky Web proves common enough. Magic Bounce Xatu? Regenerator Slowbro? Download/Analytic Porygon 2/Z? And Bronzong.

It's also a bug type.

While Gligar and Gliscor are based on a combination of Bats and Scorpionflys, neither make webs. Also neither of those two are Bug typed. As I said, fat chance.
I wasn't arguing for Gligar and Gliscor as much as I was arguing against Shuckle.

But hey it's a bug type, you got me. My logic is foiled.

Are you serious?

"Malimar has Contrary too, but being Psychic/Dark there's no way it can actually come in on Galvantula."

Does not imply Malimar needs to switch into it. Force it out/to faint with something else, then bring Malimar in. Galvantula will have a hard time switching back in and not be 2HKO'd unless it remains faster.

"What can Malamar do against Galvantula? Can it OHKO it before it's OHKO'd by Bug Buzz?"

Again, does not imply that Malamar (however it's really spelled, I think this is it) needs to switch in to Galvantula.

I hope that clears things up.

@ LordofBays: If base 80 or around that is true, then it sounds pretty viable (being able to outspeed Galvantula w/a boost). Malamar would have to have a strong STAB attack to OHKO it, or else be lucky enough to be able to learn Stone Edge or Fire Blast.
Then why even bring up the matchup if it's not pertaining to Malamar switching in? And in what way is 'no way it can actually come in' not connected to Malamar switching in? And again, concerns about ohko's; Those only matter if Malamar switching into Galvantula, 2hko's are fine since it'll be faster than Galvantula thanks to contrary+sticky web

If Sticky Web becomes popular and everybody uses it, then Sticky Web will effectively be useless.
Flyer, levitaters and pokémon with clear body, contrary, competitive or defiant will still get an advantage.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Sticky Web becomes popular and everybody uses it, then Sticky Web will effectively be useless.
Not true at all. First of all, even if both teams have it, it just means a LOT is riding on who has the better spinner and spinblocker. This is especially the case with Mega Gengar running around abusing Shadow Tag. Second, Flying types and Levitators are supposedly immune, which can essentially mean a free speed boost for them. This is HUGE for things like Dragonite, Thundurus-T, and Latios, who can take massive advantage of being at +1 speed at no cost. No matter how you look at it, Sticky Web is just as defining as Stealth Rock, if not more. There isn't a chance it'll be useless.

EDIT: Also want to mention Air Balloon again, because if this thing lets stuff bypass Sticky Web when switching in, that will redefine a lot of item choices.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If only more pokemon had the ability Contrary.

Shuckle gets it, but ........... it's more of the hazard-setter

Serperior gets it, but I don't expect it to hold up in OU. With a life Orb, Nasty plot - Leafstorm, reversing sticky web, and [almost] adequate coverage (Dragon Pulse / HP fire / whatever else), it may, but probably won't be successful. Grass is a crappy type to rely on, and it wouldn't be able to switch in until the setter (likely galvantula) is out.

Specs Serperior would be nice if there wasn't so much that resisted grass, such as Heatran, Scizor, or Volcarona.

The only other pokemon that comes to mind is Metagross. It's not hurt bad by stealth rock, and has clear body to cancel sticky web.
If Sticky Web becomes a common hazard in OU, Serperior is going to be a top tier Pokemon. With a +1 Speed it outspeeds the whole metagame and a moveset of Leaf Storm / Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ground / Giga Drain or Sub has great coverage and power after a single use of Leaf Storm. I am really liking that even though Sticky Web is an awesome entry hazard, there are viable way to ignore it or even turn it against its user. Oh boy, how i wish it was the same with SR...

I need to do some number crunching, but I think MegaAbsol and Espeon might be able to OHKO Galvantula, so their being weak to Galvantula's STABs might be mitigated.

If Sticky Web becomes a common hazard in OU, Serperior is going to be a top tier Pokemon. With a +1 Speed it outspeeds the whole metagame and a moveset of Leaf Storm / Dragon Pulse / Hidden Power Fire or Hidden Power Ground / Giga Drain or Sub has great coverage and power after a single use of Leaf Storm. I am really liking that even though Sticky Web is an awesome entry hazard, there are viable way to ignore it or even turn it against its user. Oh boy, how i wish it was the same with SR...
Was contrary Serperior released in 6th gen? I was under the impression that it wasn't yet legally obtainable.

I need to do some number crunching, but I think MegaAbsol and Espeon might be able to OHKO Galvantula, so their being weak to Galvantula's STABs might be mitigated.
Also, more Espeons will probably be running HP Fire over HP Fight this gen, as it can run Dazzling Gleam to deal with T-Tar now. I would make a topic on Espeon, but I'm not too experienced.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The blurb on Serebii about Intimidate lowering Attack by two stages now is correct, yea? If so, I can see Defiant and Contrary Pokemon becoming in demand between that and Sticky Web. Bisharp gets a free SD just for switching in (+4 if it is lucky enough to eat an Intimidate; you can go +6 just from Stick Web and Intimidate luck alone) and immediately puts pressure on anything faster that doesn't resist Dark. I can see Moxie Salamence usage going up for the crowd that doesn't ditch it for something bulkier. Empoleon also gets Defiant from DW and allegedly from Friend Safari, I can see it pulling off some interesting stuff since it too doesn't care all that much about the speed drop. Don't laugh, its physical movepool is passable and its attack stat usable but I can see it being some good utility while maintaining some threatening offense.

The biggest winner will once again be Heatran who stomps on Galvantula and everything with Defiant/Contrary sans the slower Empoleon. It greatly benefits from both faster threats getting speed checked by Sticky Web and its archnemesis Tyranitar getting some massive nerfs.

Giving +1 Spe to a single enemy would probably be worth giving -1 Spe to multiple others. You'd have to be particularly prepared to take on the Serperior or Malamar, but the easier time with the rest of their team should give you more room to work so you could deal with that. So it could be worth using anyway.

They'd risk eating a Bug Buzz by switching in, though. And Mega Absol can't Magic Bounce on its first switch-in because it won't be transformed yet. They're faster, though.

Was contrary Serperior released in 6th gen? I was under the impression that it wasn't yet legally obtainable.
Currently, like with all Gen 2-5 starters not named Blaziken, there is no known way to get Serperior in Gen 6. However, the new breeding mechanics mean it'll be possible to use a male with a Hidden Ability to breed a Contrary Serperior as soon as regular Serperior becomes available, which will take at the most two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)