Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done quite a few matches so far, and Sticky Web as a concept is just amazing. It single handedly makes Galvantula a viable Pokemon! I can't imagine Sticky Web being that common, because Galvantula offers very little outside of it (and the best spinner, Excadrill, hard walls it). But i believe that just the threat of Sticky Web will be enough to have some large effects on the metagame.

For one, I think the amount of grounded Scarfers will fall significantly. Scarf Genesect won't be nearly as common, nor will Terrakion, Garchomp etc. Instead, we'll see an increase in Scarfers that aren't hit by Sticky Web, so Rotom-W and the like.

An Increase in Taunt leads again, particularly sash leads like Aero. Galvy is fast, but not so fast that nothing can outspeed it, anything that can potentially remove it before it can set up Sticky Web will be much more common.

Quick, abuse it before its gone!

For those lazy at teambuilding: http://pastebin.com/MFWECBKm

Basically the implications of sticky web are that Levitators have a significant advantage over grounded pokes in the speed department, and Moldbreaker Exca is the only thing that can beat this without resorting to Defog.

Otherwise I hope you have 252 HP on all your pokemon.

Plural is Pokémon*, not Pokémons. Also all of them care about speed, bar Ferro and Forre. Even if you're implying everyone runs 252HP/252SpA Rotom or stuff like that, it doesn't change the fact that most of those mons have potential sweeper or Scarf roles. Furthermore, are you familiar with the term "Revenge Kill"? Yeah, Sticky Web could potentially become better than Stealth Rock, unless Bulky Offense proves to reign superior.

Edit: If you're not familiar with the Gen V OU Meta, please stop talking as if you knew how does it work. Heck, even stuff like Impish Gliscor could potetially run speed for specific threats, or just go Jolly to avoid Lucario's Ice Punch and outright sweep. Same applies for everyone else in your list.
Are you a retard or something? Why do you mention stuff like Rotom or Gliscor? Do you understand they are unaffected by Sticky Web? Can you read Sticky Web description? Why do I even bother?

Btw, you should know by know that most people on the internet dont speak english as their first lenguage. Been a grammar nazi wont really help other people's grammar; it will only make you look more foolish than you already are.

People are overhyping this move A LOT.

Lets take a look at the lastest Gen V PO Top 20 OU Pokemons:
Scizor
Dragonite
Ferrothorn
Politoed
Tyranitar
Jirachi
Starmie
Gengar
Garchomp
Heatran
Breloom
Latios
Rotom-W
Gliscor
Forretress
Espeon
Ninetales
Volcarona
Landorus-T

How many of them really care about the speed drop?
Thing is, we aren't in Gen V anymore. Nonetheless, the things that care about the speed drop:

Politoed - all offensive variants
Tyranitar - don't forget that a lot of them are EVd to outspeed certain slower threads
Jirachi - the speed tier it's sitting in IS crucial
Starmie - obvious
Garchomp - obvious
Heatran - a lot of variants
Breloom - for every move except Mach Punch
Espeon - relies heavily on its speed if it wants to make a move
Ninetales - crucial 100 speed tier, frail
Volcarona - relies on outspeeding certain threats at +1

That's 50 % of your listed 20. Terrakion and Keldeo suffer heavily. So does every good sun user.

Thing is, we aren't in Gen V anymore. Nonetheless, the things that care about the speed drop:

Politoed - all offensive variants
Tyranitar - don't forget that a lot of them are EVd to outspeed certain slower threads
Jirachi - the speed tier it's sitting in IS crucial
Starmie - obvious
Garchomp - obvious
Heatran - a lot of variants
Breloom - for every move except Mach Punch
Espeon - relies heavily on its speed if it wants to make a move
Ninetales - crucial 100 speed tier, frail
Volcarona - relies on outspeeding certain threats at +1

That's 50 % of your listed 20. Terrakion and Keldeo suffer heavily. So does every good sun user.
Ninetales/Tyranitar/Politoed: All weather inducers activate their weather regardless of the speed, even if they enter the field cripled and you take them down they still did what they wanted to do. Also, Tyranitar's speed rarely matter.
Jirachi: A lot of games you will just PRZ, take a hit in the same turn, and then outspeed and flinch. The -1 speed will only matter from time to time but could easily be build arround. I only see this as another of Jirachi's nerfs (no more permanent rain, 2 new weakness, etc).
Espeon: If there is Sticky Web in your board, not a Sticky Web on their board and you still have Espeon in your bench you are doing something wrong.
Heatran: All builds that uses his speed also uses Air Balloon. The slow variants are the one with Leftovers and a -1 speed will rarely change the outcome of thoses battles.
Breloom: Like I said, he will most likely leave the scene due to the Spore major nerf.

Even if that list is 66%-ish, you still have 4 out of 6 pokemon that are unaffected by it, so basically you are using a worthless pokemon like Galvantula or Ariados in order to -1 speed 2 of your opponent pokemon, and if they have a Rapid Spinner in their team you are playing with 1 less pokemon.

Like I said, IMO Sticky Web is not near close to SR. SR has a 100 times better distribution and it damages everything. IF we get better pokes with Sticky Web then it may put itself on the same level than Toxic Spikes, a situational hazzard that can seriously damage unprepared teams, nothing more, nothing less.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ninetales/Tyranitar/Politoed: All weather inducers activate their weather regardless of the speed, even if they enter the field cripled and you take them down they still did what they wanted to do. Also, Tyranitar's speed rarely matter.
Jirachi: A lot of games you will just PRZ, take a hit in the same turn, and then outspeed and flinch. The -1 speed will only matter from time to time but could easily be build arround. I only see this as another of Jirachi's nerfs (no more permanent rain, 2 new weakness, etc).
Espeon: If there is Sticky Web in your board, not a Sticky Web on their board and you still have Espeon in your bench you are doing something wrong.
Heatran: All builds that uses his speed also uses Air Balloon. The slow variants are the one with Leftovers and a -1 speed will rarely change the outcome of thoses battles.
Breloom: Like I said, he will most likely leave the scene due to the Spore major nerf.

Even if that list is 66%-ish, you still have 4 out of 6 pokemon that are unaffected by it, so basically you are using a worthless pokemon like Galvantula or Ariados in order to -1 speed 2 of your opponent pokemon, and if they have a Rapid Spinner in their team you are playing with 1 less pokemon.

Like I said, IMO Sticky Web is not near close to SR. SR has a 100 times better distribution and it damages everything. IF we get better pokes with Sticky Web then it may put itself on the same level than Toxic Spikes, a situational hazzard that can seriously damage unprepared teams, nothing more, nothing less.
The level of fail in this post is absolutely atrocious. Though why are you using sticky web on a gen 5 meta is beyond me.

Didn't even look at speed.

EDIT: -1 252 Timid Starmie outspeeds 252 Timid Masquerain by 1 point sadly.
That's why here's me hoping Masquerain would get a base stat change in its Speed. That additional 10 points for speed will make a difference..

Does Durant learn it? Galvantula is obviously better, because of its type advantage against most defog/ rapid spin users, but Durant seems like a capable user in lower tiers

Galvantula is actually not that great tbh. It won't get a chance to come in often as it has no recovery and is frailer than Ariados. The only real way to take advantage of it on Galvantula is as a filler move on an offensive set with something like Volt-Switch / Thunder / Bug Buzz / Sticky Web.
At least Ariados has Tspikes and priority and can switch in on choiced fighters.
Even with rocks as a thing Masq is the best non smeargle option as it can run Defog, Roost, Quiver Dance, Baton Pass and has both intimidate to give it much more bulk than the others confirmed atm.

Here's to hoping it can be bred onto something good. Has anyone tried the small bugs past when they learn bug bite?

Lolno this is the lead set it will always use.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Shouldn't need to explain Unnerve, since Aerodactyl proved why it makes for a good lead.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cut down on the hostility in this thread please. The last few posts have been fine, just don't make a repeat of the last 2 pages where things got a little out of hand. Likewise, (since it obviously needs spelling out), please do NOT abuse forum members, if you are angry at something someone said, then take a fucking walk and think before posting tyvm.

I think you should, because it is in no way better than Compoundeyes Thunder. The paralysis chance royally screws up faster leads such as Aerodactyl itself, while Unnerve is an incredibly situational ability on a lead since Focus Sash is way more common than berries.
Also Galvantua causes some serious pain with Thunder. Even in a Timid nature, he can score some OHKOs.

I also like Energy Ball over Thunder Wave, it's a nasty surprise for any ground type that tries to hassle me.

Son of a...! 1 freaking point? You can imagine how mad I am now...Well at least we have some good spinlockers that can OHKO Starmie easily enough (Gengar, Aegislash).

BTW was that at level 100 or 50? WiFi autolevels at 50 now not 100.

I think it's very important to point out to people hailing Masquerain to OU that it cannot have both Defog and Sticky Web. Surskit learns Sticky Web at level 46, Masquerain does not learn it. Surskit cannot have Defog bred to it for obvious reasons, so any Masquerain knowing Defog will have to come from Gen IV, and be unable to learn Sticky Web.

I've been doing some test breeding for this move with a friend and the following pokemon do not learn it as an egg move:
-scatterbug
-caterpie
-weedle
-burmy
-dwebble
-trapinch
-scyther
-gligar
-skorupi
-karrablast
-pineco
-venonat
-paras

I'll continue to breed test it, but I don't see this move being given to anything that would particularly kill to have it.

Has anyone tried Shelmet? Sticky Web Accelgor would be amazing.

I saw that it is deconfirmed for breeding, but has level-up been tested??

I think it's very important to point out to people hailing Masquerain to OU that it cannot have both Defog and Sticky Web. Surskit learns Sticky Web at level 46, Masquerain does not learn it. Surskit cannot have Defog bred to it for obvious reasons, so any Masquerain knowing Defog will have to come from Gen IV, and be unable to learn Sticky Web.
I think I heard somewhere that ducklett and surskit are in the same egg group. it might have someone tooting a non existent horn though.

EDIT: Just checked and yes, Surskit and Ducklett are in Water 1. So it may actually be possible if you breed a surskit with Defog from Ducklett who gets it from level up.

Sorry if my question has already been answered somewhere in this thread, but at what level does Ariados learn Sticky Web? I checked the move tutor and it didn't show up as an option. Do I have to breed my Ariados to get a Spinarak or something? I've been lurking around for a while and I can't seem to find my answer.

EDIT: Ariados just hit 58 and learned it, haha. Sorry for taking up the space.

Last edited:
Has anyone checked if Caterpie/Weedle learn this? lol :D

Maybe Larvesta too...:v4:

EDIT: Just checked and yes, Surskit and Ducklett are in Water 1. So it may actually be possible if you breed a surskit with Defog from Ducklett who gets it from level up.
Doubt it's an egg move :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)