Other Shiny new toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gen VI brought plenty of changes that benefited mons from earlier gens, be it a new type, new ability or even their own mega evolution. And then there are some other changes where the affected mon can perform better than usual, but may not have improved to such an extent that it'd warrant a thread of its own. Which is where this topic comes in. If you've become aware or discovered something that gives an old mon a new advantage or purpose (be it a new move, item, or ability), but aren't confident that it would require a thread of its own, then post about it here and I'll try to compile them all in this first post. Some guidelines to start us off:
  • Pokemon introduced in Gen VI are new by default and most likely already have their own thread, so don't post sets for them here.
  • Don't bring up a mon that may see increased usage due to indirect effects, such as the introduction of the fairy types, hazard management, steel's adjusted resistances, and so forth. We have a general discussion for that.
  • If the new improvement is something that already has a thread of its own, you might as well post it in said thread (such as Galvantula with Sticky Web).
With that out of the way, let's bring up some examples. If you don't have anything to come with, feel free to discuss the sets/discoveries that's already been mentioned.

- - - - - - -

Name: Exploud
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 104 / 91 / 63 / 91 / 73 / 68

Ability: Scrappy
Item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Surf
- Hammer Arm / Ice Beam / Toxic​

Boomburst is currently the second most powerful Normal attack in the special department, sitting right below Hyper Beam at 140 BP and 100% accuracy. With this superior version of Hyper Voice, Exploud actually has a dangerous STAB move to threaten with, and since Scrappy removes the need for Ghost coverage, the remaining moveset can be tailored to counter Rock, Steels and special walls. And, as an added bonus, Gen VI made all sound moves capable of bypassing substitutes, making Exploud's presence even more dangerous for setup sweepers. But even with this move, Exploud still has middling base stats to compete with, particularly a speed stat that leaves little hope for a sweep. But he was deemed to be a special wallbreaker before, and he should excel at that duty even better now, so whether or not he'll see more usage in the lower tiers or not remains to see.

Name: Flareon
Type: Fire
Base Stats: 65 / 130 / 60 / 95 / 110 / 65

Ability: Guts
Item: Toxic Orb
- Flare Blitz
- Facade
- Superpower (BW2 tutor) / HP Grass
- Flame Charge​

Ability: Flash Fire
Item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
- Flare Blitz
- Double Edge / Return
- Superpower (BW2 tutor)
- Fire Blast / Overheat​

Due to what can only be assumed as the results of multiple cult rituals devoted to this fiery Eeveelution, Flareon now has access to Flare Blitz, meaning it finally has a physical Fire STAB that exceeds 65 base power. With Flame Charge patching up its bad speed and activating its Toxic Orb the same turn, Flareon becomes immensely dangerous with Flare Blitz and a boosted Facade that can 2HKO even the toughest walls in NU not named Alomomola. Choiced sets can also be run, where you'll have to decide between boosting its strength further or make it decently quick. Rock-types remain as its usual nemesis since they resist both Fire and Normal moves, where Superpower makes for good coverage once trades from BW2 are available, otherwise Hidden power will have to do.

With that said, even with Flare Blitz as its new nuke, Flareon already struggled in NU. With a low HP stat and Stealth Rock weakness, along with Toxic wearing it down, low speed or requiring one turn for setup, Flareon won't be around for long, particularly so as Flare Blitz makes for nasty recoil. So unless it also happens to receive V-create, Flareon won't be causing mayhem any time soon, thus remaining as yet another Eeveelution with unfortunate stat distribution.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Boomburst is about 1.55 times stronger than hyper voice so it inflates exploud's effective Satk to a base 150 or so when its used, justs something to think about.

Wigglytuff@Leftovers
Type: Normal/Fairy
Ability: Competitive (Raises SpAtk whenever a stat is lowered)
Base Stats: 140/70/45/85/50/45
Moves:
~Dazzling Gleam
~Wish
~Protect
~Stealth Rock/Heal Bell/Thunder Wave

For the past 20 years, Wigglytuff has always been near the bottom of the barrel for Normal-types, inevitably drawing comparisons to another Fairy-like Pokemon: Clefable. Though its stats are still utter garbage--even with the 10 point buff to its Special Attack--gaining the new Fairy-type while still keeping its old Normal-type, as well as its new ability in Competitive may finally give Wigglytuff the niche in NU it deserves.

Note that the moveset list of Wigglytuff hasn't been posted yet--I'm only assuming it gains Dazzling Gleam, given its large TM/HM compatibility.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Speed Boost Scolipede?
I just found this new DW move on it in FC and I can see it being pretty huge on him. I mean its stats are much more solid than ninjask and it learns megahorn.

Scolipede @ black sludge
Ability speed boost
EVs 252atk 252spD
Nature Adamant

- protect
- swords dance
- baton pass
- megahorn

104 hp with 73 Spd is pretty good for Exploud. Though, I have an exploud in-game and my stats don't agree with Serebii's claim... but I might have 0 IV in SpD, I guess.

Anyway, Exploud looks like it could be useful in RU or UU now. Its lack of speed is annoying but it seems good at dealing with slow tanks.

On a separate topic, Electrify looks amazing right now. I don't even know who gets it, but for a moment let's assume Raichu gets it. You can run either balloon or salac berry for your item, max speed and SPA with + speed nature. Set would be t-bolt, electrify, grass knot, and HP-Ice. Swap in on any pokemon slower then raichu that's not going to one shot it. Spam electrify until opponent wisens up and swaps. Use boosted attack against whatever comes out. Electrify is a move that turns all of the opponents moves into electric type if it goes first. This makes Raichu one of the strongest 1v1 duelists in the game, possibly better then Jirachi. Prolly not OU material since 100 is pretty slow, but anything below that, it will be amazing.

And if Jolteon gets it... temble OU, temble.

On a separate topic, Electrify looks amazing right now. I don't even know who gets it, but for a moment let's assume Raichu gets it. You can run either balloon or salac berry for your item, max speed and SPA with + speed nature. Set would be t-bolt, electrify, grass knot, and HP-Ice. Swap in on any pokemon slower then raichu that's not going to one shot it. Spam electrify until opponent wisens up and swaps. Use boosted attack against whatever comes out. Electrify is a move that turns all of the opponents moves into electric type if it goes first. This makes Raichu one of the strongest 1v1 duelists in the game, possibly better then Jirachi. Prolly not OU material since 100 is pretty slow, but anything below that, it will be amazing.

Raichu got its base speed increased to 110 this gen.

Just found out Scolipede got atk and speed boosted about 10 or so on top of its new speed boost ability... Thoughts?

It's the signature move of the Helioptile line, someone could try to breed it to raichu ? since jolteon cannot obviously learn it through breeding

Nidoking and Nidoqueen also got stat boosts...in the wrong attack stat :'( 'King is now sitting pretty at 102 Atk, while 'Queen is 92. Oh, well, Sheer Force Sludge Wave will still hit like a truck, especially with the new Fairy type.

Nidoking and Nidoqueen also got stat boosts...in the wrong attack stat :'( 'King is now sitting pretty at 102 Atk, while 'Queen is 92. Oh, well, Sheer Force Sludge Wave will still hit like a truck, especially with the new Fairy type.
I don't see why people don't use Physical Nidoking more
Sure the icebeam/thunder bolt etc are more powerful moves but it does have a higher attack stat
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Physical Nido willl probably see alot more usage this gen, especially with all the specially defensive mons introduced such as Sylveon and Goodra

Raichu got its base speed increased to 110 this gen.
Just found out Scolipede got atk and speed boosted about 10 or so on top of its new speed boost ability... Thoughts?
Forgive my ignorince, but where is this information coming from? Are these confermed changes, or just speculation?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It does. And Exploud likes it all the more for that.
Most definitely another feather in its hat. I'll add that to the OP.

Wigglytuff@Leftovers
Type: Normal/Fairy
Ability: Competitive (Raises SpAtk whenever a stat is lowered)
Base Stats: 140/70/45/85/50/45
Moves:
~Dazzling Gleam
~Wish
~Protect
~Stealth Rock/Heal Bell/Thunder Wave

For the past 20 years, Wigglytuff has always been near the bottom of the barrel for Normal-types, inevitably drawing comparisons to another Fairy-like Pokemon: Clefable. Though its stats are still utter garbage--even with the 10 point buff to its Special Attack--gaining the new Fairy-type while still keeping its old Normal-type, as well as its new ability in Competitive may finally give Wigglytuff the niche in NU it deserves.
Wiggly and its lesser forms receive Dazzling Gleam from TM, so it's perfectly valid. Stealth Rock and Heal bell are thus far only available from BW2 move tutors though, so things would have to wait 'til December until those two options become valid. Losing its Fighting weakness sets it apart from other Normal typed clerics like Lickilicky and Audino, but whether or not it's still outclassed by them is a different question. Competitive is a way better option than Cute Charm, although its application can be very situational unless Sticky Web becomes popular in the nether regions too, so Frisk could be a more useful pick with stuff like Weakness Policy and Assault Vest available. But since Wiggly has an equally massive special movepool to choose from like Clefable, running some additional coverage moves isn't entirely excluded.

On a separate topic, Electrify looks amazing right now. I don't even know who gets it, but for a moment let's assume Raichu gets it.
I'd prefer that we stick to confirmed facts instead of theorymonning about potential egg moves in this thread, since the latter always lead to a slippery slope. I was hoping I wouldn't need to make a rule about it, but if it happens more often, I guess I'll have to.

What do you guys think about Speed Boost Scolipede?
Speed Boost is a godsend to anything that receives it, and will significantly change Scolipede's impact on the meta since it can now act as a speedy Baton Passer along with its other roles as spiker and physical sweeper. This thing's already got a thread of its own though, so I won't include it in the OP, but it's most definitely in line with the spirit of this thread. Good of you to mention it.

I don't see why people don't use Physical Nidoking more
Sure the icebeam/thunder bolt etc are more powerful moves but it does have a higher attack stat
Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Physical Nido willl probably see alot more usage this gen, especially with all the specially defensive mons introduced such as Sylveon and Goodra
The reason Nidoking and Nidoqueen run special movesets is because of superior coverage in addition to powerful moves. Also, you'll want to replace Fire Punch with Sucker Punch if you're going with a physical set. Good luck ever getting past Skarmory, though.

Forgive my ignorince, but where is this information coming from? Are these confermed changes, or just speculation?
It's been confirmed on Serebii.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Base stats on serebii aren't confirmed and are only accurate to +-5 which is a large range.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Nobody seems to be talking about Pyroar, I think he might be good as a fast sweeper, 109 Sp Atk and 106 Speed is'nt bad.
We don't discuss new Pokemon here, discussion about Pyroar belongs in the Pyroar thread. Read the OP before you post something.

Scolipede is very promising all of sudden. He's got an actually usable attack stat to work with, as well as that godsend Speed Boost. Considering Mega Blaziken will be ubers ASAP (there is no discussion possible about this, a handful of shaky checks that have been added to the meta don't keep it from being ubers, especially w/ baton pass legality issues fixed) Scolipede will have a great niche as a Speed Boost + Swords Dance passer, whereas he's still a great spiker.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There is the obligatory Flare Blitz Flareon mention, but I don't understand the hype behind it. It'll certainly be a strong Pokemon in the lower tiers but it's too slow and frail to make much use of it. It's time that people realized that even with an improving movepool and a great ability, it's poor stat distribution that hurts the black sheep of the Eevee family most. Jolteon is proof that if something has good stats but shallow movepool, players will make something work.

I can see Power Up Punch becoming a useful addition to the brood of Technician Pokemon's arsenal, namely Hitmontop and Breloom. Yes, Breloom gets SD but STAB might make Power Up Punch worthwhile to use. Cinccino and Ambipom may appreciate it too if they end up getting it.

Base stats on serebii aren't confirmed and are only accurate to +-5 which is a large range.
Right, but we can probably confirm the changed stats based on the differences in stats between old and new pokemon.

And Flare Blitz Flareon is miserable, it is like Pikachu in that it is powerful and will kill itself with ease. Of course, Pikachu uses his item for that, while Flareon uses its item AND ability and he's slower, so make of that what you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)