Move Powder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifics are taken from the Serebii AttackDex.

Powder | Bug | Other
20 PP | 0 BP | 100 Accuracy

Battle Effect:
The user covers the target in a powder that explodes and damages the target if it uses a Fire-type move.

In Depth Effect:
(none yet)

+1 Priority

Pokemon that learn it by level up:
Vivillon @ Lv0 (Move Reminder)
Vivillon @ Lv55

A friend of mine was sweeping through the Battle Chateau with his Lv100 Blaziken, and at some point, ran into a level 30 Vivillon which had Powder under its belt. He used Blaze Kick to quickly dispose of the butterfly, but it used priority Powder. Okay, nothing bad you'd think, the in-game description implies it just deals damage but still lets the attack through

But get this:
It blocks the fire move from going off and deals a ridiculous amount of damage back to the user of the fire-move. His Blaziken took around 50-60% damage (not confirmed yet, take with grain of salt) from its own Blaze Kick and the Vivillon remained unscathed. Of course, it could just be my friend leading me on, so it might be worth researching the move a bit more in case it doesn't block the fire move and he just missed or whatever, and how its explosion damage is calculated.

We should check for anything that may be able to learn this move by breeding, most importantly Galvantula Scizor and Forretress. (4x Fire weakness gone? Yes please).
If Galvantula gets it (especially now as Sticky Web leads might become a thing), it would allow him to completely ignore his fire weakness the only thing still being a threat being Rock (Damn you SR).

I know it might be wishful thinking, so for now let's just assume just Vivillon learns it:
Considering it's able to Quiver Chance, what are the chances we'll see something along the likes of Quiver Dance / Powder / Hurricane / Bug Buzz as a sweeping set that checks any and all fire types that aren't running something else that can dispose of it?

First post on the forums after lurking for ages without even an account. So uhm, hello.

Last edited:
This move sounds hilarious and I really want it. I think we need to test if Volcarona can get it, as Vokcarona is already in OU so people could start working it into play right away.

It'd be awesome if Forretress got the move. Opponents will have to think twice before sending a Fire Blast at it. It might not even need to actually run the move, because the mere fact that it might have Powder could be enough to dissuade the opponent from using a fire move. Scizor would probably just stick to BP or scouting with U-Turn.

Well, assuming that it is exclusive to Vivillon, then you're hard pressed to find a moveslot for it. Sleep Powder is Vivillon's main selling point and you can't really run a mon-attacking set with Quiver Dance. It also seems extremely situational, since Vivillon has a plethora of other weaknesses you can hit it with, and mediocre defenses, so theres no guarantee that the opponent is going to use a fire move to KO.

The most likely application of this move is on a bulky pokemon which is Fire bait, such as Forry, maybe Ferrothorn if they get it, who doesn't need all their moveslots (you could say, run a set suck as Gyro Ball/Spikes/Rapid Spin/Powder on Forry), to lure in a common check with another member, and enable them to sweep. For instance, now that Forry can lure Heatran and weaken or kill it, Aegislash has a good chance to sweep. The only other situational use I can think of is to check set up sweepers who have fire coverage to hit the powder user, such as DD Char X or DD Mence.

TL;DR - Powder needs to be distributed to better pokemon to have a shot at being viable, and its application, even then, is situational at best

At first I thought this was gonna be a general Powder thread for things for Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, etc. but I wasn't expecting trolling at maximum levels.

It protects the Bug from one of its weakness (well punishes its weakness anyways) while dealing damage. This is pretty hilarious but rather gimmicky in the long run, since Fire does have a way around it usually. I hope it isn't limited to one pokemon. This gen keeps getting better and better.

ariariadne

formerly Reinfleche
Unless it gets distributed to Forretress or something I can't see it being any good, sadly. Fun and amusing, though. I'm sure there will be some gimmick set that uses this to hilarious effect.

Viola's Vivillon does indeed use it in the Battle Maison. In fact, all three times I've face it, that's all it has used. First turn, Powder. Second turn, Powder. Three different battles.

It was facing my Greninja, so I had no idea what it does.

I will say, the move seems to get priority, as my Greninja is around level 69 and facing a level 45 Vivillon, and I trained it for max EVs. And since it spammed it two turns in a row every time I've seen it, I'm guessing the effect only lasts for a single turn.

I wonder how the damage is calculated for the victim of the powder explosion. Possibly the fire move user's Att/SpA stat on it's own Def/SpD? Also, would Flash Fire kick in? Probably not very significant questions... but...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Vivillon vs Heatran matchup would be hilarious to say the least, especially since the latter will be unlikely to run HP Ice now. Powder on the switch-in and set up Quiver Dance while the other guy flounders wondering wtf you just did. I officially love Vivillon.

Important: What is it like having a friend that plays Pokemon?

Also, is he reliable, do you trust him? Hoping he is legit, this move is hysterical. Just imagine:
Level 10 Vivillon vs. Level 100 Blaziken
Vivillon uses Powder
Blaziken uses Flare Blitz
Blaziken imploads and takes ~60% Damage

fucking amazing.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
The problem with Powder is that it only lasts a single turn... so if you opponent does anything OTHER than attack with a Fire-type move, you just wasted your turn. With Vivillion's defenses, that means you are either KO'd or getting set up on. Not too useful, but a fun gimmick.

If it does get distributed to Ferrothorn or Forretress, however, now THAT will be hilarious. Talk about mind games!

Important: What is it like having a friend that plays Pokemon?

Also, is he reliable, do you trust him? Hoping he is legit, this move is hysterical. Just imagine:
Level 10 Vivillon vs. Level 100 Blaziken
Vivillon uses Powder
Blaziken uses Flare Blitz
Blaziken imploads and takes ~60% Damage

fucking amazing.
I'm trusting him because he's also the one who told me about other things like Galvantula (my favourite pokemon bar Gallade) being in friend safari before I ever saw it here. He also told me about Defogs new buff. I have no reason not to trust him.
I will test it out myself later because in the end, the move may have simply missed yet still triggered Powder. I'm mainly interested in the damage though, I know he likes exaggerating a little bit sometimes.

For clarity's sake, you guys mean the Battle Cheateu and not the Maison, right?
Whichever is near the daycare, so I think so, yes. My bad. Similar names and all D:

For clarity's sake, you guys mean the Battle Cheateu and not the Maison, right?
Yes. I knew Maison was wrong, but couldn't remember the correct word. :P

I doubt Ferrothorn would get it. I doubt it would get something like that to cover its biggest weakness. I'm guessing it will be restricted to bugs or moths, much like Quiver Dance.

What buff did Defog get?

Yes. I knew Maison was wrong, but couldn't remember the correct word. :P

I doubt Ferrothorn would get it. I doubt it would get something like that to cover its biggest weakness. I'm guessing it will be restricted to bugs or moths, much like Quiver Dance.

What buff did Defog get?
Defog removes all hazards and screens now, including those on your side off the field, rather than just those on the opponents side. It's essentially an unblockable (bar Taunt) Rapid Spin

Is there any way of testing if Volcarona gets powder? Not sure if Larvesta is friend safari or not. Haven't seen it yet. I mean, being Bug/Fire, it would see little usage, but it's worth a shot trying.

Vivillon vs Heatran matchup would be hilarious to say the least, especially since the latter will be unlikely to run HP Ice now. Powder on the switch-in and set up Quiver Dance while the other guy flounders wondering wtf you just did. I officially love Vivillon.
I was thinking the same thing. Although, Heatran will probably carry Flash Cannon a lot more often due to being a good counter to every Fairy without a Ground move, so Vivilon might not be able to wall it.

Powder pokemon might include

Breloom,Parasect and Amoongus?

I can see Parasect enjoying that probably. I mean it hasn't got that much to offer.

Yea if ferrothorn/scizor/forrtress get this they will get some use out of it, if not it will probably be very rare that this actually sees any use.

Will be hilarious whenever it is used well though.

Rename the move and it will easily be one of the coolest moves on paper!

This could be a very neat move in double, depending on the mechanics and how widely distributed it ends up being. It's definitely interesting and I'm really excited for further research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)