Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure it's not a -1 with contrary
..........holy shit, didn't even cross my mind. Too bad we can't confirm though.

Except it's a raw boost, not a Special Defense level increase

And Contrary Serperior won't learn Dragon Pulse because it was not released in Gen V, unfortunately
Dude the breeding mechanics for Gen VI changed, and I believe it's possible to pass on the hidden ability now.

Dude the breeding mechanics for Gen VI changed, and I believe it's possible to pass on the hidden ability now.
But Snivy cannot learn Dragon Pulse through breeding, unless that was changed in this generation (Which we won't know until december at most). That's what I meant to say

I've been thinking of putting an Assault Vest on Malamar. Auto-Taunt doesn't hurt so much when your stat-boosting move of choice is Contrary Superpower, and AV shores up the defense stat that Malamar can't easily boost on its own.

No it's not. The mechanics change is that males with the ability will pass it TO THE SAME SPECIES. In other words, a male Snivy with contrary has to breed with a ditto or a female snivy. Imposter Ditto WILL NOT work either.

Also, even if Contrary Snivy was released, you can't get Dragon Pulse onto it. The tutor move doesn't exist in Gen6, and it doesn't pass through breeding as it is not an egg move or TM.

To summarize, contrary snivy hasn't been released yet, so you can't get it or breed for it. You can just watch the computer use it against you in the Battle Mansion.

I've been thinking of putting an Assault Vest on Malamar. Auto-Taunt doesn't hurt so much when your stat-boosting move of choice is Contrary Superpower, and AV shores up the defense stat that Malamar can't easily boost on its own.
I was kinda thinking that too. With Superpower, Psycho Cut, and Night Slash, thats already a good enough set.

Don't know how viable this is, but Gallade needs a niche given the buff to Medicham and has the defenses to utilize Assault Vest. Yes it can't run Swords Dance, but it will have a much easier time switching in and out.

Gallade @Assault Vest
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Justified
EVs: 200 HP/ 252 Atk/ 56 Spe
- Close Combat/Drain Punch (it needs the power boost from CC, DP is too weak )
- Psycho Cut
- Night Slash/Shadow Sneak
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
with assault vest it says you can only use damaging moves. Does stealth rock count as a damaging move for this?
No, it is in the status category and so not allowed. The items act as a self-imposed taunt for increased Sp.Def. No offense, but do people not pay attention to the in-game 3 -way split, this has come up multiple times now in a couple of threads? It Directly show what is a "status" move and what is a special or physical move. Even then taunt stops.

Has anyone found a way to test how the vest works with Download? (I don't know if any pokes in X and Y have download but still...)

Cradily will be able to tank stuff like crazy with Assault Vest, especially with sand.
Edit: NVM, just found out about the other effect.
Edit 2: Durant can actually take some resisted special hits now.

Durant (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
He reaches 198 Sp.Def after AV.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 203-239 (78.98 - 92.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 160-189 (62.25 - 73.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Granted, he can't take any Fire moves, or any moves from the Megas, but it can take some hits.

Last edited:

SinfulPanda69

Banned deucer.
Machamp could use it. It really doesn't use buffs and such, and if it did, it would be totally outclassed by Conkeldurr. Machamp will totally appreciate reaching about 126 base special defense.

Last edited:
A few more possibilities.

Assault Vest Metagross:
Already bulky on the Physical side with decent SpD.
You may even luck out with a Meteor Mash attack boost.

Which brings my mind to damaging moves which have a chance to raise stats like Charge Beam, Flame Charge and Power-up-punch.
Those might be useful on some Assault Vest sets depending on how the metagame swings.

Metagross @Assault Vest
Nature : Careful
EVs : 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Atk
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit / Zen Headbutt / Ice Punch

We can obviously change the EVs spread and the nature but wow, this thing is awesome.
How about Hammer Arm and rock slide instead of meteor mash/bullet punch/pursuit? It can offer some nasty surprise for Volcarona and others. Just a suggestion

Cradily will be able to tank stuff like crazy with Assault Vest, especially with sand.
Edit: NVM, just found out about the other effect.
Edit 2: Durant can actually take some resisted special hits now.

Durant (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
He reaches 198 Sp.Def after AV.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 203-239 (78.98 - 92.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Durant: 160-189 (62.25 - 73.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Granted, he can't take any Fire moves, or any moves from the Megas, but it can take some hits.
You forgot the part Durant has 58 base HP. Assault Vest is a complete waste on it. It may have a great defensive typing but it cannot take a special attack at all, not even when boosted

I think for the NFE's brought up in this thread (Gurdurr and Scrafty), they would much prefer Eviolite, which boosts BOTH defenses by 50% and allows them to set up, over Assault Vest...

I think for the NFE's brought up in this thread (Gurdurr and Scrafty), they would much prefer Eviolite, which boosts BOTH defenses by 50% and allows them to set up, over Assault Vest...
Was Gurdurr even brought up in the thread? Scrafty is fully evolved by the way so no Eviolite for him.

Can't wait to put this on Amoongus, Slowbro and Tangrowth. They already have recovery (slack off/giga drain and regenerator). Their physical bulk paired with assault vest means they can be mixed walls quite easily.

Can't wait to put this on Amoongus, Slowbro and Tangrowth. They already have recovery (slack off/giga drain and regenerator). Their physical bulk paired with assault vest means they can be mixed walls quite easily.
You won't be able to use recovery moves (although Regenerator is fine) as Assault Vest puts your Pokemon in a Taunt-like status where you cannot use any Status moves.

You won't be able to use recovery moves (although Regenerator is fine) as Assault Vest puts your Pokemon in a Taunt-like status where you cannot use any Status moves.
I know that and yet I KEEP forgetting it...

Oh well, I can't wait to use it on Tangrowth and Slowbro, Amoongus doesn't have 4 usable offensive moves and no spore really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)