Battle Mechanics Research

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
HK5W-WWWW-WWWX-TL88 - skip to turn 11
I'm not sure if this has been confirmed anywhere but the Japanese move known as "Happy Time" is called "Happy Hour" in English.

56ZG-WWWW-WWWX-TMA8 - see turn 1. The video continues on but there's nothing else of interest in the video
The move "Hold Back" is shown here. Is this an undiscovered attack? I can't find any evidence of someone else seeing this attack before.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That's on my list of things to test; I'll try to find either the Substitute TM or a wild Mr. Mime tomorrow to test it with.

How does assault vest work with pokemon that have oblivious or aroma veil? Will they have the taunt effect on them?
Asking about aroma veil since it apparently work for aromatisse as well.

I have no idea where to put this, but just a few things:

1. EXP gain is no longer affected by level (like what happened in BW). I tested on a double battle with 2 L14 Furfrous (iirc there's a trainer battle on route 6 that does just that). L70 Lucario gained the same amount of exp as L15 Honedge.

2. EXP gain is no longer affected by number of Pokemon participating: Talonflame gains 2925 (or so) EXP for murdering one of the L35 Audinos in the Battle Chateau even though I swapped in a Starly at one point.

3. EXP share seems to work by giving Pokemon 1/2 the EXP they'd have obtained if they had participated normally.

Above are observed when EXP share is active. Will try to check under conditions where EXP share is inactive.

HK5W-WWWW-WWWX-TL88 - skip to turn 11
I'm not sure if this has been confirmed anywhere but the Japanese move known as "Happy Time" is called "Happy Hour" in English.

56ZG-WWWW-WWWX-TMA8 - see turn 1. The video continues on but there's nothing else of interest in the video
The move "Hold Back" is shown here. Is this an undiscovered attack? I can't find any evidence of someone else seeing this attack before.
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-xy/holdback.shtml
Though they didn't draw attention to it and it's not in the list of new moves. It's an odd False Swipe clone. I'll have a look at the video and see who used the moves now.

Also, Happy Hour is probably a worse name, at least in Britain.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The move Belch does not make the user eat the berry upon use. But after consuming it normally, Belch can be used over and over again. Tried this with a Swalot against and Amoonguss, where the move cannot be chosen before berry consumtion (as opposed to chosing the move and watch it fail), where after consuming its Sitrus berry it could use Belch three times in a row.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but dark-type pokemon shake at the beginning of battle if the enemy pokemon has a super-effective move against it sort of like Anticipation. I noticed this with my Sneasel and Greninja.
I noticed my Meowstic does the same thing.

Was testing some stuff, confirmed three things.
===

Test: Electric Terrain's Sleep Prevention
To find out what kind of sleep prevention effect Elec Terrain's sleep immunity effect was, whether it is similar to Leaf Guard in only preventing sleep on use or Insomnia in that it'll outright make it immune to sleep. The test would be to put a Pokemon of my own to sleep using Rest (In this case Doublade) then switching out to a Magneton who'd set a Electric Terrain before switching Doublade back in.

Conclusion:
It is similar to Leaf Guard or Safeguard that it only prevents going to sleep but does not wake up already sleeping Pokemon as the Doublade remained asleep.

===

Test: Electric Terrain's Effect on Electric Immunity abilities
Straightforward test to see if it triggers abilities like Lightning Rod or Volt Absorb, simply activated Electric Terrain on Pokemon with these abilities.

Conclusion:
Debunked. Electric Terrain does not have any effect on them.

===

Test: The priority order of Electric types immunity to paralysis vs ability
I recall someone asking before whether Thunder Wave failing would take priority or whether electric attack immune abilities take priority. Simple test was to Thunder Wave a bunch of Motor Drive, Lightning Rod and Volt Absorb Pokemon.

Conclusion:
Abilities take priority, where Thunder Wave would simply fail against Electric type Pokemon. If it is used on a Electric type with Volt Absorb, Lightning Rod or Motor Drive then Thunder Wave will hit and activate the abilities therefore abilities have priority over Electric's immunity to paralysis.

===

Last edited:
Conclusion:
As you see from my shenanigans I can conclude that Ghost types have immunity against their switch being dictated and not specifically being trapped, to surmise Ghosts are immune to trapping, psuedo hazing and forced switches. So prepare your asses for the rise of the Ghost setup sweeper, unless you pack Haze.
I just tested this and found that roar totally does affect ghost types soooo....

edit: though you seem to have edited that out of your post, so I guess you realised it already

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
I saw ExtremeSpeed act before Follow Me in-game (the ESpeed user had more speed than the Follow Me user). Either ESpeed has had a priority increase, or Follow Me had a priority decrease.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
From the Japanese wiki. Could use some confirmation on these:
http://www57.atwiki.jp/pokemon6th/pages/113.html

- Dark Aura / Fairy Aura boosts by 4/3 (or 1.3333333x)
- Aura Break flips that number to 3/4 instead (or 0.75x) of the original amount.
- Minimize PP goes from 20->10. Dragon Rush, Phantom Force, Stomp, Steamroller, and Flying Press do not miss against minimized targets and deal double damage.
- Refrigerate boosts Normal type attacks by 1.3x in addition to turning them into Ice-type moves (no mention on Aerilate and Pixilate, though)

Last edited:
Just had a Stunfisk use Camouflage during Misty Terrain, and it turned into a Fairy Type. I presume it works the same for the other Terrain moves as well. Fairy-type Starmie, anyone? Haha. Also, I discovered that Misty Terrain does not prevent confusion as a Haunter was able to use Confuse Ray on my Floette still, so it's not exactly like safeguard.

Edit: And will someone please test Land's Wrath to see if it changes type depending on Terrain? I'm not that far into the game yet to test it myself.

Last edited:
Edit: And will someone please test Land's Wrath to see if it changes type depending on Terrain? I'm not that far into the game yet to test it myself.
land's wrath does not become grass or fairy typed when under grassy or misty terrain, and is presumably still ground-type (it is, at least, a type neutral on skorupi and super effective on pawniard). animation is the same too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)