Pokémon Bisharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you switch Bisharp in without catching Sacred Sword though?
Its for when obvious shadow sneak is obvious. I lead with mega gengar. So people always go for the Shadow Sneak guaranteed.

Plus nobody is willing to risk their Aegislash by overpredicting and allowing Gengar to kill it with a Shadowball of its own

Like I said, i thought Sacred Sword would be much more of a problem then its actually is. It isnt really a problem thus far. My Bisharp is undefeated against Aegislash thus far

Ah man, I remember when I first started using Bisharp in OU. OU!! He was so good I eventually got bored. Not saying I topped ladders or whatever, but I won a lot of games, and plenty team sweeps. One of my favorite pokemon now thanks to that!

Breloom Mach Punch?
Lead SubDance Bisharp handles Breloom nicely with Iron Head. Although sometimes, sometimes, you just gotta switch to something else.

So glad steel resistance is gone. Now I can spam SPunch even more.

Bisharp is unaffected by King's Shield because Defiant. Shadow Sneak does nothing to Bisharp and Night Slash OHKO'd every variant i came across.
How many boosts are needed to OHKO it in shield form from full HP/what item? (any calcs for gen 6 made yet?)

Upstart

Copy Cat

Name
: Bisharp
Type: Dark / Steel
Ability: Defiant / Inner Focus / Pressure (DW)
Base Stats: 65 / 125 / 100 / 60 / 70 / 70

Notable Move Pool:
Iron Head
Swords Dance
Substitute
Low Kick
Knock Off
Night Slash
Thunder Wave
Power Up Punch
Stealth Rocks
Sucker Punch

Notable Movesets:

It's Morph'n Time
Ability:
Defiant
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 200 Hp / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers
Moveset:
Swords Dance / Power Up Punch
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Knock Off

With the introduction of the new type chart Bisharp is truly blessed endowed with 11 resistances and only 3 weaknesses. If that was not enough the new knock off mechanics allow him to neuter opposing pokemon while hitting with a STAB base 98 power move. Additionally he can now use his dark type attacks to punish steel types that had previously given him trouble. He maintains the same sets as he did last generation but has become inherently better. The boost set seeks to do what Bisharp does best punish pokemon if they attack with Sucker Punch or maim them with knock off if they try to prolong their demise. Power Up punch could be used for coverage although Sword Dance is probably better to get more power while Steel and Dark provide pretty neutral coverage. Knock Off is superior to Night Slash in almost every single case.

Feel free to copy and paste into the OP!

Name
: Bisharp
Type: Dark / Steel
Ability: Defiant / Inner Focus / Pressure (DW)
Base Stats: 65 / 125 / 100 / 60 / 70 / 70

Notable Move Pool:
Iron Head
Swords Dance
Substitute
Low Kick
Knock Off
Night Slash
Thunder Wave
Power Up Punch
Stealth Rocks
Sucker Punch

Notable Movesets:

It's Morph'n Time
Ability:
Defiant
Nature: Adamant
Evs: 200 Hp / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
Item: Life Orb / Leftovers
Moveset:
Swords Dance / Power Up Punch
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Knock Off

With the introduction of the new type chart Bisharp is truly blessed endowed with 11 resistances and only 3 weaknesses. If that was not enough the new knock off mechanics allow him to neuter opposing pokemon while hitting with a STAB base 98 power move. Additionally he can now use his dark type attacks to punish steel types that had previously given him trouble. He maintains the same sets as he did last generation but has become inherently better. The boost set seeks to do what Bisharp does best punish pokemon if they attack with Sucker Punch or maim them with knock off if they try to prolong their demise. Power Up punch could be used for coverage although Sword Dance is probably better to get more power while Steel and Dark provide pretty neutral coverage. Knock Off is superior to Night Slash in almost every single case.

Feel free to copy and paste into the OP!
Great contribution. Added to OP! Thanks!

Wouldn't King's Shield fail against Sucker Punch? Or rather, it wouldn't proc the Attack drop in the first place? Sucker Punch fails to activate if the target doesn't use an attacking move, so he SHOULD just sit there while Aegislash switches back to Shield Forme.

Bisharp should also be noted as an important defensively-bulky offensive Dark type, since the only other Dark type that is similar from lower tiers are Drapion and Spiritomb, and Bisharp has more offensive presence anyway. This is notable because Ghost-type will probably be what Dragon-typing was last gen, what with Ghost's insane buffs and all.

UPDATED: New breakdown courtesy of Upstart

-kills fairies
-Checks and can potentially always counter Aegislash.
"Potentially always" sounds weird. Also, it is definitely not a counter to aegislash. It is a check.

Also, it doesn't kill togekiss, one of the best fairies. Togekiss outspeeds and OHKOs with aura sphere. It can't be sure to beat azumarill either.

"Potentially always" sounds weird. Also, it is definitely not a counter to aegislash. It is a check.

Also, it doesn't kill togekiss, one of the best fairies. Togekiss outspeeds and OHKOs with aura sphere. It can't be sure to beat azumarill either.
LO 252 Attack Adamant Bisharp can OHKO Shield Forme Aegislash with Night Slash if it comes in on Sticky Web, which could very well be present if the opponent's using stuff that isn't Aegislash. That is taken from earlier in the thread. I don't remember exactly how much Sticky Web lowers Speed, but I can figure out how many Speed EVs an Adamant Bisharp would have to run to outspeed a standard Brave 0/0 Aegislash for certain values. Aegislash's Speed is 112, so we want to solve for 113 in our stat formula.
Sticky Web is -1 Speed (2/3):

113 = (((31 + 140 + x/4) * 100)/ 100 + 5) * 1 * 2/3
113 = ((171 + x/4) + 5) * 2/3
169.5 = (171 + x/4) + 5
164.5 = 171 + x/4
-6.5 = x/4
x = -26 EVs
Always.

Sticky Web is -2 Speed (1/2):

113 = ((171 + x/4) + 5) * 1/2
226 = (171 + x/4) + 5
221 = 171 + x/4
50 = x/4
x = 200

200 Speed EVs.

It's not more than 2 stages, I know.

So Bisharp, with 452 out of its 508 usable EVs, can OHKO Aegislash given Sticky Web on its side of the field.

Unfortunately, it can't survive a Sacred Sword and, therefore, without Sticky Web, OHKOs with a crit Night Slash (which happens at least 1/8 of the time). So, if you can Baton Pass a Swords Dance to Bisharp OR switch it in on an Aegislash with Sticky Web, it kills Aegislash. That makes it among the best counters that guy's got.

For pokemon A to be a "counter" for pokemon B pokemon A has to be able to switch in on common moves from and reliably beat pokemon B. Bisharp cannot do that to aegislash and is therefore not a counter. Bisharp will not even check aegislash unless it is at +2 or if night slash crits. It can therefore not even be considered a reliable check to aegislash. There are other pokemon that reliably counters aegislash, such as hippo and gliscor. Bisharp doesn't.

For pokemon A to be a "counter" for pokemon B pokemon A has to be able to switch in on common moves from and reliably beat pokemon B. Bisharp cannot do that to aegislash and is therefore not a counter. Bisharp will not even check aegislash unless it is at +2 or if night slash crits. It can therefore not even be considered a reliable check to aegislash. There are other pokemon that reliably counters aegislash, such as hippo and gliscor. Bisharp doesn't.
Bisharp can come in on Shadow Sneak and OHKO Blade Form with Night Slash.

It's more of a check. Aegislash has to be insanely careful when Bisharp comes in, since either pokemon can easily destroy the other. It has to pick and choose when to attack and defend too, since if King's Shield goes up against Night Slash, it's all over. But if it goes straight for the Sacred Sword and Bisharp is currently unboosted or not carrying life orb, Aegislash wins.

I just thought i would say that since knock off has a 65 bp AND gets a power boost (does anybody know how much of a boost? i couldn't find the percentage in the research thread) when the foe is holding an item, there is no reason at all to be using night slash. :)

I just thought i would say that since knock off has a 65 bp AND gets a power boost (does anybody know how much of a boost? i couldn't find the percentage in the research thread) when the foe is holding an item, there is no reason at all to be using night slash. :)
You're right, but it's not available yet.

LO 252 Attack Adamant Bisharp can OHKO Shield Forme Aegislash with Night Slash if it comes in on Sticky Web, which could very well be present if the opponent's using stuff that isn't Aegislash. That is taken from earlier in the thread. I don't remember exactly how much Sticky Web lowers Speed, but I can figure out how many Speed EVs an Adamant Bisharp would have to run to outspeed a standard Brave 0/0 Aegislash for certain values. Aegislash's Speed is 112, so we want to solve for 113 in our stat formula.
Sticky Web is -1 Speed (2/3):

113 = (((31 + 140 + x/4) * 100)/ 100 + 5) * 1 * 2/3
113 = ((171 + x/4) + 5) * 2/3
169.5 = (171 + x/4) + 5
164.5 = 171 + x/4
-6.5 = x/4
x = -26 EVs
Always.

Sticky Web is -2 Speed (1/2):

113 = ((171 + x/4) + 5) * 1/2
226 = (171 + x/4) + 5
221 = 171 + x/4
50 = x/4
x = 200

200 Speed EVs.

It's not more than 2 stages, I know.

So Bisharp, with 452 out of its 508 usable EVs, can OHKO Aegislash given Sticky Web on its side of the field.

Unfortunately, it can't survive a Sacred Sword and, therefore, without Sticky Web, OHKOs with a crit Night Slash (which happens at least 1/8 of the time). So, if you can Baton Pass a Swords Dance to Bisharp OR switch it in on an Aegislash with Sticky Web, it kills Aegislash. That makes it among the best counters that guy's got.
I'd like to point out that this is assuming that someone runs Gyro Ball + Sticky Web on the same team for some reason. Yes, some might decide to do it, but it weakens Aegislash's Gyro Ball.

Wouldn't King's Shield fail against Sucker Punch? Or rather, it wouldn't proc the Attack drop in the first place? Sucker Punch fails to activate if the target doesn't use an attacking move, so he SHOULD just sit there while Aegislash switches back to Shield Forme.
Aegislash doesn't give a crap about King's Shield. He can just spam Night Slash because Defiant will raise his attack if it drops.

Can we get Pursuit on this guy?

Whoops, thanks man! Anyways, is Pursuit possible on this Mon?
I wish. But for real it sucks that Bisharp doesnt get Pursuit. But then again is he fast enough to be able to pull it off? Plus it will be pretty hard to replace any of his 4 moves.

Worth note: Choice Banded knock off is a guaranteed OHKO on Defense Stance Aegislash

252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def (custom): 356-420 (109.87 - 129.62%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Worth note: Choice Banded knock off is a guaranteed OHKO on Defense Stance Aegislash

252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def (custom): 356-420 (109.87 - 129.62%) -- guaranteed OHKO
How viable is a Choice Band Set on Bisharp?

252 HP/252 ATK Adamant
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Psycho Cut/Brick Break ????

Step on a sticky web and get a +2 Choice Banded Bisharp with Sucker Punch. Viable? Or too gimmicky?

How viable is a Choice Band Set on Bisharp?

252 HP/252 ATK Adamant
Knock Off
Sucker Punch
Iron Head
Psycho Cut/Brick Break ????

Step on a sticky web and get a +2 Choice Banded Bisharp with Sucker Punch. Viable? Or too gimmicky?
It might have a strong use as no one wants to switch into a STAB Choice Banded 97.5 BP move that ALSO removes that item. Pursuit would be excellent on that for gengars that lack focus blast. Now that steel no longer resists dark. It's also perfect against sticky web, as a +2 STAB Choice Banded 97.5 BP move that ALSO removes that item is even scarier coming off from 125 base attack.

I think this could see use:

Bisharp @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Outspeeds all 252 Speed Adamant Aegislash. Gyarados resists fire, fighting and is immune to ground if you need to switch Bisharp out.
To give you a sense of how strong a CB Knock Off Bisharp is in sticky web:

+2 252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 233-275 (57.67 - 68.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is a resisted move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)