Data Updated Base Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, at this point they should just shave off 30 of his atk points and re-invest them in his sp. atk because his physical movepool is one of the saddest things in the game. Aren't his gusts of wind supposed to bend trees? Not with 70 sp.atk he's not.

Dunno, GF doesn't know what to do with the bird. He's one of the only defensively capable Flying/Normal types so you might as well solidify him as a fast wall instead of giving him little hints of defense like Big Pecks (Which sucks.) Give it an ability similar to Fur Coat or something and make up your mind GF.
Funny you say that, because i had the exact same idea, they should make him into a SP atk oriented, he has access to air slash and hurricane, it would be nice if Keen Eye gave accuracy like coumpound eyes, so you could spam hurricanes. Apparently Noivern is what he shouldv' been.

Tbh when i heard about some base stats being revisited i expected a new distribuition, many pokemon have good numbers but they are all over the place, they needed to be better optimized.

If there is one Pokemon I want to have a stat increased, it's Steelix and it's Attack stat. Seriously, Steelix has a decent enough move pool to run a great boosting offensive set of something like Curse/Earthquake/Gyro Ball/Stone Edge, and an increase in Attack would make it even better.

Funny you say that, because i had the exact same idea, they should make him into a SP atk oriented, he has access to air slash and hurricane, it would be nice if Keen Eye gave accuracy like coumpound eyes, so you could spam hurricanes. Apparently Noivern is what he shouldv' been.

Tbh when i heard about some base stats being revisited i expected a new distribuition, many pokemon have good numbers but they are all over the place, they needed to be better optimized.
In my dreams Pidgeot gets Extreme Speed with Big Pecks buffed to worked like Clear Body. A move set like Extreme Speed, Work Up, Brave Bird, U-turn.

In my dreams Pidgeot gets Extreme Speed with Big Pecks buffed to worked like Clear Body. A move set like Extreme Speed, Work Up, Brave Bird, U-turn.
Why would you use U-turn along a boosting move?, you would be better with something like Hp Ground or Heat Wave in the last slot

So you can pivot out of your counters, most notably T-Tar which is hit for SE damage by U-Turn. I use U-Turn on a boosting Talonflame myself and U-Turn came in handy more than once.

Actually I think the idiosyncrasies give Pokemon character. It's not something we consider in our ruthless world of competitive Pokemon but for the vast majority of fans each Pokemon is a unique character and not just a collection of mechanical abilities. In fact if I have any criticism of the new gen it's that many Pokemon seem to have been built stats, ability, and move pool first with design built to accommodate, where in the past it felt like it was design first with what they felt would fit the mon.

Anyways on topic these are shaping up nicely. Nothing too drastic, but it feels like GF is really tipping their toes in new waters here, something they've always done. I have a feeling MEvos have been in the works for a long time and that stuff like different Rotom forms and Genesect's drives have been a steady progression towards Megas. I can definitely see larger changes in the future, maybe with Z or maybe next gen.

Anyways on topic these are shaping up nicely. Nothing too drastic, but it feels like GF is really tipping their toes in new waters here, something they've always done. I have a feeling MEvos have been in the works for a long time and that stuff like different Rotom forms and Genesect's drives have been a steady progression towards Megas. I can definitely see larger changes in the future, maybe with Z or maybe next gen.
Genesect's drives being a progression towards Megas? Nah, Kyurem's Formes are much more suited for it, requiring an item, and changing name, appearance and stats (Rotom also requires an item but it's overworld)

But I do agree that the similarities to earlier Forme changes give the idea that Mega Evolutions are not exactly a new thing to Pokémon

Nearly everyone? I don't think it will be nowhere near that, we have 600+ mons, only a select few are getting those boosts, and some are getting in a stat that won't make much of a difference, while others are getting it right where they need.

I think Pidgeot could be actually functional now, it's fast, has feather dance and roost, can learn defog via egg...
I adore Pidgeot, and love the speed increase.

A fast feather dance is pretty good and plus it can learn Confide so it can lower both attack and special attack depending on whats out at the time. From the other mons that can learn that combo (Looks like Hawlucha, Chatot and Swanna), I think Pidgeot is defensively better and Hawlucha isn't going to be using support, at least not I think of. Was thinking of a Confide, Roost, Feather Dance, U-Turn to scout. If only they gave Gale Wing to him as a Hidden Ability, a priority Feather Dance would have been a neat niche for him.

Last edited:
I adore Pidgeot, and love the speed increase.

A fast feather dance is pretty good and plus it can learn Confide so it can lower both attack and special attack depending on whats out at the time. From the other mons that can learn that combo (Looks like Hawlucha, Chatot and Swanna), I think Pidgeot is defensively better and Hawlucha isn't going to be using support, at least not I think of. Was thinking of a Confide, Roost, Feather Dance, U-Turn to scout. If only they gave Gale Wing to him as a Hidden Ability, a priority Feather Dance would have been a neat niche for him.
And this is pretty much what it generally comes down to for Pidgeot's advantages. Among flying types his niche is his bulkiness, which really isn't very good even in the lower tiers to begin with. The speed boost is definitely a step in the right direction (especially with a great trollish 101 speed to outpace the slew of base 100 pokemon.) Defog also solidifies his potential as a genuine support pokemon. Defog, Featherdance, and Tailwind. He's literally begging to be a fast bulky wall.

Actually I think the idiosyncrasies give Pokemon character. It's not something we consider in our ruthless world of competitive Pokemon but for the vast majority of fans each Pokemon is a unique character and not just a collection of mechanical abilities. In fact if I have any criticism of the new gen it's that many Pokemon seem to have been built stats, ability, and move pool first with design built to accommodate, where in the past it felt like it was design first with what they felt would fit the mon.
I will agree, that seems like the case with Pokemon nowadays. However, I have to admit that base 85 Attack doesn't fit Steelix, who looks like he could crush a town.

That 60 attack azuma got is sweet . That will just more likely make it ou and its fairy type . Raiuchu and pidgeots speed is Good too . The rest are just meh
Azumarill gets its boost in special attack, not attack, which does not help it competitively. still I think azu will be OU anyway because fairy type and belly drum aqua jet.

Scolipede will be a monster, with SD, higher attack, and baton pass with speed boost.

Most other boosts are too minor to matter but stuff like golem will appreciate the extra attack.

This stat boosting was a great idea, it balances out the power creep slightly. hope they do this in future gens also.

Im Sad that no one so far has noticed Krook's D boost. It could help him with intimidate-pressing opponents, and so will 65 BP knock off. I hope krook sees more usage

First post ever

I think that after Pokebank is released, Nidoking’s new base 102 attack allow him to become a powerful wallbreaker, much like Hydreigon was in Gen V. The boost to his typing further demonstrates this.

Nidoking Mixed Attacker
Move 1: Earth Power
Move 2: Superpower
Move 3: Sludge Wave
Move 4: Fire Blast/ Ice Beam
ability: Encourage
item: Life Orb
nature: hasty/ naive
evs: 252 Spa/ 252 Spe/ 4 Atk

This set allows Nidoking to function as a powerful mixed sweeper and wall breaker. Nidoking’s receives a series of buffs this generation, most notably Superpower, which lets Nidoking stop common special walls, such as Blissey, Chansey and Assault Vest Tyranitar.

Here are some calcs.

4 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Superpower vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 455-536 (69.78 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 421-499 (104.2 - 123.51%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 304-359 (43.18 - 50.99%) -- 3.91% chance to 2HKO

much like in the case of Hydreigon last generation, Chansey doesn’t really count as a definite counter. If Chansey will never be able to come in at 72% of her health and barring a crit, Nidoking can kill Chansey at 84% of health. This is a common reality since Chansey lacks leftovers recovery.

Earth Power is STAB that does a great deal of damage considering Nidoking’s equivalent 125 special attack. Sludge Wave is poison stab that works great against the new fairy type, while also hitting Rotom-W, Charizard and dragons if you chose Fire Blast. Fire Blast is important for OHKOing Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Scizor (especially with Assault Vest) and Bronzong. Ice beam works well against Dragons, along with OHKOing troublesome ground types like Hippowdon, Landorus-T and Gliscor. Thunderbolt can be used if you want to beat bulky waters easier.

Maxing speed allows Nidoking to speed tie with Heracross and Adamant Haxorus. If you want to do more damage to Chansey, you can cut out some speed evs and put them in attack, just make sure you still outspeed Togekiss. While Nidokings speed is low, it does outspeed every relevant fair type.

Nature is a toss up, Hasty makes Nidoking deal with Sylveon, Togekiss and Florges easier, while Naive lets Nidoking take priority attacks better and makes Nidoking a better check to Terrakion.

I’m not suggesting Nidoking is OU material, it’s far too slow and frail, the buffs to it’s attack and typing make it OU viable IMO.

not many of these are really significant except for a few. The ones that really stand out to me are:
- Pidgeot: broke through that magic speed number. 101 isn't terrific but it is still better. Only problem is that this is pidgeot we're talking about.
- Clefable: Now that it is a Fairy type it will have actual significance.
- Poliwrath: actually has some useful attack now for lower tiers.
- Roserade: In addition to its poison typing getting a nice buff, it is now a little bit bulkier in the physical department. Should be very useful.
- Stoutland: might make for a decent sand sweeper.
- Scolipede: by a mile the biggest change of all. In addition to poison being much more useful now, it now has even better attack power. Also, its hidden ability is now Speed Boost. So it can run Adamant if it wants. Swords Dance, Mega Horn, Poison Jab, Aqua Tail. Very powerful. Very powerful indeed.

not many of these are really significant except for a few. The ones that really stand out to me are:
- Pidgeot: broke through that magic speed number. 101 isn't terrific but it is still better. Only problem is that this is pidgeot we're talking about.
- Clefable: Now that it is a Fairy type it will have actual significance.
- Poliwrath: actually has some useful attack now for lower tiers.
- Roserade: In addition to its poison typing getting a nice buff, it is now a little bit bulkier in the physical department. Should be very useful.
- Stoutland: might make for a decent sand sweeper.
- Scolipede: by a mile the biggest change of all. In addition to poison being much more useful now, it now has even better attack power. Also, its hidden ability is now Speed Boost. So it can run Adamant if it wants. Swords Dance, Mega Horn, Poison Jab, Aqua Tail. Very powerful. Very powerful indeed.
Don't forget that Scolipede can also Baton Pass Atk + Spe boosts to its teammates :D

Also, Serebii and our Research thread both say Beautifly now has 100 base Sp. Atk, up from 90. Still not going to do much, but figured I'd add that.

The only thing I don't like about these boosts (Well besides how generally useless Azumarill's and the Nidos' boosts are) is that it's always +10. I don't think there's a single person who thinks Alakazam should have gotten the same raw BST boost as the earlygame bugs and birds, all of which are still useless (Well besides Staraptor, Talonflame, Swellow, and possibly Butterfree if you reeeeally want to stretch it, but that's beside the point.)

The only thing I don't like about these boosts (Well besides how generally useless Azumarill's and the Nidos' boosts are) is that it's always +10. I don't think there's a single person who thinks Alakazam should have gotten the same raw BST boost as the earlygame bugs and birds, all of which are still useless (Well besides Staraptor, Talonflame, Swellow, and possibly Butterfree if you reeeeally want to stretch it, but that's beside the point.)
Indeed.

When I saw the update on Serebii that said "some older pokemon are getting base stat boosts" I was hoping for a series of stat boosts that would be scaled based on need.

For example, things like Butterfree or Delcatty (the lowest BST pokemon) would get maybe between 30 and 50 distributed into the categories that would make the most sense (For example, SpAtk, Speed, and SpDef for Butterfree) and then other pokemon that needed a boost, but not as large of a boost (such as Shiftry and Seaking) would get between 20 and 40, and then the pokemon that only need a very small boost in a specific category would get 10 or 20.

Regardless of how it is done, the ideal result would be fewer tiers. This would directly benefit the metagame by making each tier more diverse, which would probably help ensure that any one strategy does not dominate all the time (admittedly, some other balancing would need to be done to certain types in order to really achieve this).

I'm not about to start complaining about what they did do, but because of the amount (only 10 each) it makes it seem somewhat half-hearted. I'd rather see a partial overhaul of the mechanics that shrink the BST gap to something like ~500-700 instead of ~380-700 and make it so that Bug, Poison, and Ice become better offensively/defensively and Water becomes weaker defensively.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
It's a glass cannon it doesn't need defensive stats? What, did you want 190 Special Attack and 230 Speed to get a high BST? BST means nothing anyway, you could have 100/300/500 defences and have no moves that don't do damage and have a Pokemon viable in LC. For example, Shuckle without any support options. Shuckle is already bottom of NU anyway.
Lord Raiden why would Pokemon be boosted to equal? Everything viable in OU? I don't want Normalize Delcatty running all over OU I really don't see how that would help at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)