Applying to college

Stratos

Banned deucer.
On another note, how effective/useful is the SAT at measuring a student's IQ? How long is the average prep time for one to get a 2250+ score in the SAT?
SAT's not about studying. Prepare for it for zero hours, prepare for it for 100, you won't see much of a difference. None of the math goes above a basic algebra or geometry level, and the critical reading is mostly about knowing latin roots and being able to interpret passages. Writing means fuck-all, so don't worry about if you get a bad score on that. If i had to suggest any way to prepare for the SAT, it's to familiarize yourself with the format of the test and expand your vocabulary. Good luck on that other test, btw!

Reading all of these posts I don't know what to feel about colleges. I am a junior and I am just starting the process. I feel like I am a good student, I have a 4.0 GPA and I got 2200 on my SATs but what I am worried about is my extracurricular activities. Other than sports (a play basketball and baseball) I participated in no clubs Freshman year and I joined Math club and Peer Mentoring (some bullshit club to put on your resume) Sophomore year. No I feel like I have to cram like 10 other clubs in next year in order to "impress colleges". I just don't know how else to differentiate my self from other kids who have a ridiculous resume. From those who have already gone through the process, am I screwed because I didn't do any activities or will I be alright?

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Reading all of these posts I don't know what to feel about colleges. I am a junior and I am just starting the process. I feel like I am a good student, I have a 4.0 GPA and I got 2200 on my SATs but what I am worried about is my extracurricular activities. Other than sports (a play basketball and baseball) I participated in no clubs Freshman year and I joined Math club and Peer Mentoring (some bullshit club to put on your resume) Sophomore year. No I feel like I have to cram like 10 other clubs in next year in order to "impress colleges". I just don't know how else to differentiate my self from other kids who have a ridiculous resume. From those who have already gone through the process, am I screwed because I didn't do any activities or will I be alright?
Colleges would rather see a few extracurriculars that you're dedicated to and that show your abilities than the fact that you attended a million, since it shows a lack of commitment. You'll probably be fine

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
9/10 you dream destinations are overrated. Ask me. I was lucky enough to barely make it into a place of one of my top choices for higher studies. And it's piss hard to get in there. By no means 'bad' per se, to the contrary you'll be secure in the knowledge you're learning from some f the BEST in the line, but kind of underwhelming after you put in such incredible amount of work to get in there. It's not the fault of the colleges but the glorification that it is subjected to.
In the end it's your effort that goes into increasing your value, (experience, networking, vocational aptitude) which matters. Oh that and genuine interest in what you're doing, instead of just treating it as a golden key to nice job. tbf, you can do that, but for me being happy is a notch higher than having a plush income.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Finished my application to UT Dallas and working on my Texas A&M and UT apps. (I know I'm gonna go to UTD anyway because it offers a LOT of money for national merit and the IB diploma.) I'm not sure about some things though?
- If I took the SAT and ACT in March / April 2013 and sent those scores to the colleges then, does that cover it for the scores? Or do I need to resubmit them to colleges along with the applications?
- Also, how / when do you know if you're accepted?

I'm hoping somebody can help me out, please?

If you had the scores sent to those schools when you took your ACT then you don't have to pay to send them to those schools again. The date you find out if you're accepted varies between schools, but generally if you apply Early Action or Early Decision you'll find out in late December, whereas if you apply at the standard deadline you'll know sometime in April. The colleges will generally send you letters or e-mails to let you know.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
lol applying to caltech, berkely, and stanford b/c cali seems cool. also auto to UT austin

Uhm 2330 sat 35 act but shit gpa 9.9 yah I play varsity tennis and shit strong GG idgaf about undergrad
come to cal! it's cool here =]

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That means talk about your extracurriculars/what you would actually do at the university. If you have any aspirations of joining a team of any kind/working with an on campus news organization, that kind of thing. At the very least you could talk about your academic intensity and interest in your field of study.

If the school in question actually cares about this sort of thing and isn't just using it as a screen I'd say talk about your personality. I'm going to guess that if you are a longtime smogon member you could probably explain how your mentality and way of looking at the world around you differs greatly from your peers.

Tl;dr, if you want an easy essay talk about how you like school, if you want a good essay talk about how your unique perspective differentiates you in a significant way.

If you're looking at liberal arts schools, I'm going shamelessly plug Carleton College, just because I'm finishing my first term here and I absolutely love it! It's ranked in the top 15 liberal arts schools by pretty much every ranking, and I know a ton of people here who have gotten into similarly ranked schools (Amherst, Pomona, Bowdoin, Emory, and for me personally, Wesleyan), who chose to come here after visiting. Also, I literally have talked to half my floor about Pokemon extensively, and maybe two people were the *rby rocks why did they make it complicated* types. Everyone else knew about EVs and the like. And this is on the list of 5 biggest party floors on campus, too. People have the fun-geeky and only slightly socially awkward feel I kinda get from Firebot. The people here are seriously awesome. Feel free to message me if you're interested at all (I'd love to see more Smogoners here). IIRC they have a late deadline for applications as well (jan. 15) and the application is free. That actually played a part in the reason why I applied (I wasn't planning on it originally, but after getting in a visiting I loved it).

Also, billymills, I'd just talk about your different traits, and any way that you might bring a different perspective to a discussion. Sometimes you have to tailor your answer based on the school you're applying to, so a school which has small, discussion based classes would look for what you would bring to discussions, while larger schools might look for what kind of initiatives you would take while on campus.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you're looking at liberal arts schools, I'm going shamelessly plug Carleton College, just because I'm finishing my first term here and I absolutely love it! It's ranked in the top 15 liberal arts schools by pretty much every ranking, and I know a ton of people here who have gotten into similarly ranked schools (Amherst, Pomona, Bowdoin, Emory, and for me personally, Wesleyan), who chose to come here after visiting. Also, I literally have talked to half my floor about Pokemon extensively, and maybe two people were the *rby rocks why did they make it complicated* types. Everyone else knew about EVs and the like. And this is on the list of 5 biggest party floors on campus, too. People have the fun-geeky and only slightly socially awkward feel I kinda get from Firebot. The people here are seriously awesome. Feel free to message me if you're interested at all (I'd love to see more Smogoners here). IIRC they have a late deadline for applications as well (jan. 15) and the application is free. That actually played a part in the reason why I applied (I wasn't planning on it originally, but after getting in a visiting I loved it).
Damn, this is just about everything that matters to me in environment (which would explain why University of Chicago is my #1), what are you majoring in?

Damn, this is just about everything that matters to me in environment (which would explain why University of Chicago is my #1), what are you majoring in?
I'm actually not entirely sure yet, I'm undecided. Another reason I decided to come here was the fact that its slightly more science oriented than your average liberal arts school, which is good for me because my primary interests are physics, astronomy, and economics.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Finished my application to UT Dallas and working on my Texas A&M and UT apps. (I know I'm gonna go to UTD anyway because it offers a LOT of money for national merit and the IB diploma.) I'm not sure about some things though?
- If I took the SAT and ACT in March / April 2013 and sent those scores to the colleges then, does that cover it for the scores? Or do I need to resubmit them to colleges along with the applications?

Should apply to Oklahoma, too, lots of free money for National Merit. One of my friends from HS got a full ride.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]

University of Alabama will give you a free four years, instant access into their honors program, and some other weird stuff for national merit (or just free four years for an act of 32 or higher). The question is wether or not you want to go there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)