Petition to save the Great Barrier Reef

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
idk if this stuff is even allowed here but I think it should be because nature is important and especially something as beautiful and grand as the Great Barrier Reef.

To keep it short, please sign the petition at savethereef.org.au and it doesn't matter if you're Australian or not.

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest natural creation and the world's largest coral reef, home to over 3000 individual reef systems and a large diversity of marine life. Tony Abbott seeks to construct a new shipping highway for economic purposes but he is completely ignoring the significance of the Great Barrier Reef. His economic solution is only a temporary solution but it will do incomprehensible and irreversible damage to one of the seven wonders of the natural world as his project will dump an estimate of 3 million tonne of pollution right into the heart of the coral reef. In addition, the emission of greenhouse gasses will significantly set back all efforts to provide a sustainable future for this planet.

It would be wonderful and I will be very grateful if everyone who sees this thread can just take 20 seconds out of your day to sign this petition at savethereef.org.au

I signed it and shared it on Facebook. Hopefully if enough people sign it, these guys will realize it's not okay to destroy the Great Barrier Reef. I am more than a little bit cynical though, but that could be because I'm from the US where all the politicians are like, "Drill, baby, drill!" already, with almost no fucks given about what is being destroyed in the process. I truly hope I'm wrong and that your government is better able to pull its heads out of its asses than the US government is.

Is there anything else we can do to try to help reverse this decision?

Edit Princess Bubblegum : It's listed as USA. Took me awhile to figure out, too :P

Last edited:

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Nobody listened when I told them not to vote for him.
majority of the people from generation y voted for kevin rudd, but unfortunately only half of our generation can actually vote, and even then 25% of our generation that could vote didnt.

majority of people from gen x voted tony abbott unfortunately

I signed it and shared it on Facebook. Hopefully if enough people sign it, these guys will realize it's not okay to destroy the Great Barrier Reef. I am more than a little bit cynical though, but that could be because I'm from the US where all the politicians are like, "Drill, baby, drill!" already, with almost no fucks given about what is being destroyed in the process. I truly hope I'm wrong and that your government is better able to pull its heads out of its asses than the US government is.

Is there anything else we can do to try to help reverse this decision?
thank you! It's greatly appreciated and it means a lot to me! Unfortunately, we live in a world where money is power, and everything is done these days purely for political reasons combined with corporal greed.

I'm not sure if there is much we can do atm but I'm still reading up on this and trying to get people to sign it. Hopefully we will reach a substantial number of signers to prevent this from happening.

On the plus side though, the project was delayed and hopefully we can keep delaying it until they no longer have any choice but abandon it.

even taking an asshole stance on this, I am pretty sure that this will ruin the tourism industry, as well as heavily damaging ocean fishing harvesting for Australia, and if I am not mistaken it also provides a buffer for storms

is he stupid?

edit: where the hell is the United States in the country list?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
even taking an asshole stance on this, I am pretty sure that this will ruin the tourism industry, as well as heavily damaging ocean fishing harvesting for Australia, and if I am not mistaken it also provides a buffer for storms

is he stupid?

edit: where the hell is the United States in the country list?
it is under "usa"

The biggest problem was that the wrong policies got the limelight and gen X doesn't do non media research.

EDIT: Signed, shared etc.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Its like half dead anyway, not trying to sound racist but you can tell an asian tourist 'dont disturb the reef' that many times and they'll still dive down and take things out of the environment and all the boats and other damage over the year have destroyed it beyond repair anyway

Having said that will sign this petition as what little is left is worth preserving for the future generations (number one prio on my trip to qld next year is to swim in an alive part of the reef)

majority of the people from generation y voted for kevin rudd, but unfortunately only half of our generation can actually vote, and even then 25% of our generation that could vote didnt.

majority of people from gen x voted tony abbott unfortunately

At risk of turning this into an Australian politics thread and distracting from an important issue.

Rudd's apparent popularity among Gen Y continues to amaze me, especially given it's glaringly apparent that he's a narcissistic vindictive sack of shit (and if Labor were smart, which they weren't, they would've kicked him straight out of the party instead of axing him as Prime Minister and keeping him in the cabinet). Don't get me confused though, Abbott is an equivalent sack of shit and his party is worse.

Also I was under the impression that the Baby Boomers supported Abbott more strongly than Gen X.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
"Man, why does it seem like old people just don't care about the environment???"
"Cos they're godless!"
laughtrack

signed and shared on facebook, if i ever travel to australia the GBR is definetly the fist thing on my list that I want to see

Signed! I'll be sharing this with my friends too. Something as amazing as the Great Barrier Reef should be preserved humanity.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nobody listened when I told them not to vote for him.
You're being delusional if you think this wouldn't have occurred if you'd have voted for the labor party, if you consider how much they planned to dredge in the Great Barrier Reef last year.

Don't get me wrong i'm all for the preservation of the Great Barrier Reef however the impact of this new development is rather minimal in comparison to the amount of ongoing destruction it received in the past decades. As such i find this topic to be rather extremely sensational describing the event as "incomprehensible and irreversible damage to one of the seven wonders of the natural world".

Also fuck this
It would be wonderful and I will be very grateful if everyone who sees this thread can just take 20 seconds out of your day to sign this petition at savethereef.org.au
This sort of mentality is exactly the reason why nobody will ever take these petitions seriously. Honestly who would ever seriously consider the idea's of people who've only taken 20 seconds of their time on the subject to form an opinion?

You know a party is bad when one of their members basically says that climate change is a hoax.
I'm signing dat shizzle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)