Breeding Perfect Pokemon in Pokemon X&Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.

If the Mom Pokemon (or non-Ditto Pokemon) does not have its hidden ability, the child will NEVER have its hidden ability.
If the Mom Pokemon (or non-Ditto Pokemon) has a hidden ability, the child has a 60% chance of having its hidden ability.

Since your Gyarados has Intimidate, and not its hidden ability Moxie, you will never receive a Moxie Gyarados child (Or to be specific a Rattled Magikarp).
Thanks, I did not know Moxie was its hidden ability!

What are some suggestions for Pokemon to breed as a beginner? I read Smeargle and Gyrados were worthwhile (since they can breed with many Pokemon), any others?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Thanks, I did not know Moxie was its hidden ability!

What are some suggestions for Pokemon to breed as a beginner? I read Smeargle and Gyrados were worthwhile (since they can breed with many Pokemon), any others?
Whatever your hearts desire! Smeargle is useful because it can learn any move (via Sketch), and therefore can pass down any compatible egg move to any other Pokemon in the Field group. Magikarp/Gyarados are easy to breed because they have the fastest egg hatch rate in the game and can help you get a feel for how breeding works, but they themselves don't have a lot of egg moves you can pass down.

You might want to try your hand at breeding a Drizzle Politoed (Swift Swim Poliwag). Swift Swim Poliwags can be found in the Pokemon Village in hordes, while Swift Swim Poliwhirl can be found in the Friend Safari.

Since you are a beginner I would recommend starting breeding with some of the baby pokemon, since they have at least 3 perfect 31 IVs when you catch them in wild. Just remember to evolve them before putting them in the day care. If you want something with egg moves you could try getting Marill with Aqua Jet and Belly Drum as egg moves.

Hey, just wanted to give a little shout out to this thread. I just bred my first perfect pokemon (Male Gible @Rough Skin, 31/31/31/x/31/31), and this thread really helped a lot. So thanks!

I had a quick question about breeding that I couldn't find answered anywhere else: does the percentage chance of passing down the HA increase if both the parents have the HA compared to just the female having the HA?

i.e. Will HA Female + HA Male make more HA babies than HA Female + normal Male?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I had a quick question about breeding that I couldn't find answered anywhere else: does the percentage chance of passing down the HA increase if both the parents have the HA compared to just the female having the HA?

i.e. Will HA Female + HA Male make more HA babies than HA Female + normal Male?
All signs point to no.

All signs point to no.
That's awesome news - I just spent a lot of time acquiring a foreign perfect male gible without the HA to breed with my perfect HA female and I just wanted to double check it wasn't going to ruin my chances of hatching a HA perfect shiny.

What does the outstanding comment mean from the the IV checker in X/Y?

He will say it for a poke with two perfect IV's but not a poke with 3 IV's.

Just curious.

What does the outstanding comment mean from the the IV checker in X/Y?

He will say it for a poke with two perfect IV's but not a poke with 3 IV's.

Just curious.
It means the sum of all IV's you have are very good.

You can have a "Superior Potential" Pokemon with 3 Perfect IV's, but the other 3 stats would be horrid, whereas you can have 3 Perfect IV's and the other 3 would be "decently high" to be "Outstanding"

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
The first rating, "Superior", "Outstanding", etc, merely refers to the sum of the IV totals, which can be 0 to 186 (31 x 6). Its meaningless for the most part. That said if you have an IV total of 151 or higher (30x4 + 31 + 0, for example), you will always have an Outstanding rating.

Okay, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and I'm kind of frustrated... I don't know if anyone can help, but I'll take suggestions. I've been trying to breed for a perfect Scyther for the past 8 hours and I have nothing to show for it. It took me no longer than and hour or two for all of my other perfect and flawless Pokemon, I have about 9 extra Shellders. I don't know why it's so hard to get a perfect Scyther.

Anyway, I've been flip-flopping Scythers so that I can pass down the necessary IV's. Both parents have Technician; the female has X/31/31/X/31/31 and is holding the Evertstone (Adamant nature). The male has 31/31/X/X/31/31 and is holding the Destiny Knot. I've been using them for 5 hours now because I haven't gotten a better baby to switch nor have I even receive one 5 IV baby. I now switched the Everstone out with a Power item to see if that will work.

Anyone run across this problem? This is by far the longest it has taken me to breed for a perfect Poke.

Okay, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong and I'm kind of frustrated... I don't know if anyone can help, but I'll take suggestions. I've been trying to breed for a perfect Scyther for the past 8 hours and I have nothing to show for it. It took me no longer than and hour or two for all of my other perfect and flawless Pokemon, I have about 9 extra Shellders. I don't know why it's so hard to get a perfect Scyther.

Anyway, I've been flip-flopping Scythers so that I can pass down the necessary IV's. Both parents have Technician; the female has X/31/31/X/31/31 and is holding the Evertstone (Adamant nature). The male has 31/31/X/X/31/31 and is holding the Destiny Knot. I've been using them for 5 hours now because I haven't gotten a better baby to switch nor have I even receive one 5 IV baby. I now switched the Everstone out with a Power item to see if that will work.

Anyone run across this problem? This is by far the longest it has taken me to breed for a perfect Poke.

Check to make sure you didn't record the IVs of the parents wrong. It's happened to me before =/ Otherwise, it's just plain bad luck. Keep going!

Quick question. How does one go about breeding a Pokemon with 4 Egg moves? Is it best to train it up so that it will not level up in the daycare or what? Thanks.

Check to make sure you didn't record the IVs of the parents wrong. It's happened to me before =/ Otherwise, it's just plain bad luck. Keep going!
Yea, I've checked, I have no idea why I'm getting mediocre Scythers, I'm barely coming out with even 1 "Outstanding" baby each batch.

Quick question. How does one go about breeding a Pokemon with 4 Egg moves? Is it best to train it up so that it will not level up in the daycare or what? Thanks.
I don't fully understand this question, but if you want to EV train it without having the egg moves deleted from the Daycare lady, I'd level it up so that it can't learn anymore moves leveling up so you can keep all your moves.

can someone help me?
i've been trying to breed a perfect 6 IVs for gible and no luck. have 2 box full of 5s only.
the parents have 5IVs. missing for SpA for the male and HP for female.

should i opt to use the power items? tho im sorta lost on how to use the power items to get that 6ivs with my desired nature.
please help.
i have less sleep for 2 days already because of it.

Last edited:
The Pokemon in the day care do not gain new moves while being in the day care. They get the new moves when you take them out of daycare. All offsprings will have the egg moves. This is very usefull when IV-breeding, since it makes it possible to use a level 1 Pokemon with all 4 egg moves, as long as you only take it out of Day care when you get a better parent to use. The only time it is advisable to level them up before putting them in day care is if the Pokemon already have flawless IVs and you want to get multiple "copies" of that pokemon.

I have also heard that previously known egg moves can be relearned at the move relearner, meaning that that is also an option to consider.

Question about egg moves: lets say that both parents have 4 different egg moves.
How is it determined which egg moves the offspring will get?
I haven't tested this but I can imagine it being one of this:
- all random: on average the offspring gets two random egg moves from each parent
- the mothers or fathers egg moves takes priority, meaning that only the mothers/fathers egg moves are inhered
- the moves of the first/second pokemon you put in day care takes priority
- the offspring always get 2 egg moves from each parent, either randomly choosen or picked as the two upper/lower moves.
- etc.
Has anyone tested using more than 4 egg moves?

can someone help me?
i've been trying to breeding a perfect 6 IVs for gible and no luck. have 2 box full of 5s only.
the parents have 5IVs. missing for SpA for the male and HP for female.

should i opt to use the power items? tho im sorta lost on how to use the power items to get that 6ivs with my desired nature.
please help.
i have less sleep for 2 days already because of it.
The probability of getting a 6IVs from your parents is 1/96 ~ 1.042 %, or a lot lower if you also want the hidden ability. If you only have 2 full boxes (60 pokemon) you should just keep breeding.

With the power item you will have an even lower probability of getting a 6IVs with the correct nature. This is because you first have to get a 6IV with (most likely) wrong nature and then breed that one with a 5IV correct nature pokemon with everstone. Math: 3/160 (prob. of getting 6IV with power item) * 7/384 (prob. of getting 6IV with a 6IV parent and a 5IV parent with everstone) = 7/20480 ~ 0.034 %

I would recommend you to continue with your breeding. Alternatively try to get hold on a 6IV male in the same egg group (through trading) and use that for breeding.

EDIT: sorry for double posting

The probability of getting a 6IVs from your parents is 1/96 ~ 1.042 %, or a lot lower if you also want the hidden ability. If you only have 2 full boxes (60 pokemon) you should just keep breeding.

With the power item you will have an even lower probability of getting a 6IVs with the correct nature. This is because you first have to get a 6IV with (most likely) wrong nature and then breed that one with a 5IV correct nature pokemon with everstone. Math: 3/160 (prob. of getting 6IV with power item) * 7/384 (prob. of getting 6IV with a 6IV parent and a 5IV parent with everstone) = 7/20480 ~ 0.034 %

I would recommend you to continue with your breeding. Alternatively try to get hold on a 6IV male in the same egg group (through trading) and use that for breeding.

EDIT: sorry for double posting
ok thanks :D i'll resume my breeding now.

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble with breeding egg moves. Specifically Stealth rock onto a swinub. How would I do it? I know to get icicle crash onto it, I need to breed a female swinub/piloswine with a male beartic that knows Icicle crash. But, nothing gets rocks in game currently via level up since SR is no longer a TM. The only thing I can think of is to use smeargle (which can get it via sketch). am i on the right track?

Also I have never ever used Smeargle in game, so I'm not 100% sure how sketch works, can someone help me out with that too?

Thanks.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Sketch is a move with precisely one use, once used it is forgotten and instantly replaced with the last move used. The best way to teach Smeargle the desired move is to capture another Pokemon that knows that move, use the move deleter to delete all moves EXCEPT the one you want, then fight a wild Ditto. Ditto will transform into that Pokemo and use that move over and over; just have Smeargle sketch it and you're set.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Just a word of advice. Once you finally do get your flawless parents, DO NOT start EV training them until AFTER you get a copy of flawless parents to use for breeding stock. I know we're all anxious to start EV training ASAP, but you will save yourself a lot of work by getting extras. I learned the hard way that pokemon of different species (even in the same evolutionary chain) take A LOT longer to produce eggs.

He's saying if the pokemon evolve they will be harder to breed with pokemon at the beginning of the ev train(assuming you evolve them?). So charizard would have a harder time breeding with charmander than another charmander. Not sure if it's accurate but that's what he's saying :D.

Question about egg moves: lets say that both parents have 4 different egg moves.
How is it determined which egg moves the offspring will get?
I haven't tested this but I can imagine it being one of this:
- all random: on average the offspring gets two random egg moves from each parent
- the mothers or fathers egg moves takes priority, meaning that only the mothers/fathers egg moves are inhered
- the moves of the first/second pokemon you put in day care takes priority
- the offspring always get 2 egg moves from each parent, either randomly choosen or picked as the two upper/lower moves.
- etc.
Only experimented with 5 egg moves, one on the father and 4 on the mother, but each of the mothers passed down and the fathers was overridden. I would guess this trend of the father's egg moves being overridden takes place in these other circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)