[on site] Status in Diamond and Pearl

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If I recall the effects from imprison remain as long as the imprisoner stays on the field,correct?This would mean if lets say a dusclops imprisons ice beam,none of it's foes is capable of using ice beam as long as dusclops stays on the field.(These were my findings when I batteled the sailor in the XD collseum with his dusclops and all of his dragons)
Yes. This is why Metronoming an Imprison in Metrobattles is pretty much gg

You should mention Perish Song under pseudo-status.

Was Freeze's defrost rate ever reliably tested? Does Sunny Day or Hail have any affect on this rate?
I believe there was an assumption Sunny Day halves the time you are frozen or thaws you out next turn. (Which it is I'm not sure) Using or being hit by a fire move though automatically defrosts you though.

Rain Dance keeps them permanently or extends the time they are frozen until hit by a fire move. (I'm pretty certain on this one at least)

I have a sneaky suspicion though that Hail increases the chances of you getting frozen. I know it definitely can't extend the time you are frozen since I've seen on two separate occasions a thaw occuring during hail in 1-2 turns. But I have noticed my Abomasnow freezing some things alot more often than usual with its Blizzard.

Forsety, I'm not sure on any of this, but I can always post in the D/P research thread, as the testers there would probably know or be able to find out. I'm fairly certain Rain Dance doesn't make Freeze permanent though, otherwise Kyogre + Ice Beam + Luck = GG. As for the last posters, you'll find a note on Imprison in the guide.

Forsety, I'm not sure on any of this, but I can always post in the D/P research thread, as the testers there would probably know or be able to find out. I'm fairly certain Rain Dance doesn't make Freeze permanent though, otherwise Kyogre + Ice Beam + Luck = GG. As for the last posters, you'll find a note on Imprison in the guide.
I'd say its an extended freeze I wasn't sure whether it might be permanent since they rarely live long enough to find out with Rain Dance in effect so it feels like a perm.

Either way Freeze is pretty GG in alot of cases anyway.

A post in the research thread would be useful though since it'd be nice to know the full weather mechanics with freeze status.

Yeah, which is probably why it isn't a reliably induced status like the others.

I made a post in the research thread:

Are there actually any effects on the status Freeze due to weather conditions?

One user thinks that his Blizzard freezes more in Hail, for example. And would Sunny Day cut Freeze time, Rain Dance perhaps extending it? Would Sandstorm do anything at all?

Sorry if this has been asked already; I searched this thread and found no discussion of the sort on this. Also, I remember some discussion on the topic when D/P first came out in Japan.
Hope this covers any questions you might've had as well, if not I can always edit, or you could make an additional post. While searching the thread on Freeze, I noticed there are different Secret Power effects in Battle Revolution Colosseums. This shall be added in, as competitive Battles can be fought in the game.

EDIT : This is more for me and quick reference, but here's Team Rocket Elite's list of Secret Power effects in the different Colosseums:

Gateway - Lowers Attack
Main Street - Paralyze
Waterfall - Sleep
Neon - Paralyze
Crystal - Flinch
Sunny Park - Sleep
Magma - Flinch
Sunset - Lowers Accuracy
Courtyard - Paralyze
Stargazer - Flinch

Fake Out (Normal, Causes a Flinch if used on the first turn the user is in battle)
You should probably change this. Fake Out either works (when used on the very first turn a Pokemon is in battle) or it doesn't (any later than that). If it works, 40 BP and flinch. If it doesn't work, nothing at all. The only instance where it would deliver damage but not flinch is against Inner Focus users or if something moves before Fake Out.

Endure, Detect and Protect work on the same chain of chances or whatever you wish to call it, which means that if you use Endure first, then Protect, Protect has a 50% chance to work, then 25%, 12.5%, and so on. Your current description says Endure fails if used twice in a row whereas the others might fail.

While Soundproof Pokemon are immune to the move Perish Song, they are not immune to the effects (namely, giving a Perish Count). You can see this by Baton Passing your Perish Count to Mr. Mime: the Perish Count will stay intact.

You may want to mention the following about Torment, but I'm not sure if it works like this in D/P (it does in Advance):

Squirtle switches out
Mightyena switches in
Pikachu uses Thundershock
Mightyena takes damage

Mightyena uses Torment
Pikachu is Tormented

Pikachu tries to use Thundershock here. I am pretty certain it still manages to attack Mightyena here, so you get the following:

Pikachu used Thundershock
Mightyena is damaged

However, the next turn, Pikachu is unable to Thundershock. This means that Torment cannot prevent moves from happening the very same turn it's used, unlike Taunt. I am not completely certain about this though.

Okay, thanks Mekkah, I edited the guide with your contributions. I also changed the formatting a bit to keep the whole "true" status thing in one place, with pseudo-statuses coming last as they probably should. It would also seem that Pokémon cannot be Frozen while the sun is bright.

If thats the case for Sunnyday than I'd imagine it is the polar opposite for Rain Dance as I thought. Only thing that needs clearing up is Hail.

Mekkah is correct on the way Torment works. In other words Torment will only disallow moves used after Torment has been placed from being used twice in a row.

I don't think it was noted or it might not even be important but Leech Seed can be Baton Passed to a Grass Pokemon.

@Forsety - As long as you're sure, I'll include it in the guide about rain. I too, would like to know about hail.

@n3ther - This was not included in the first version, but was mentioned to me later. Thanks for trying to help though!

Magma storm the move of heatran traps the foes, what about torment for choice banders? wow Excellent. It mentions about everything. Well done arseus and all other people contributed to this project.

Magma Storm! Ahh yeah that move slipped right through the cracks, daksunt, thanks for that! With Torment on a Choice Item user, the second time they go to use a move it says "-Pokémon's Name- is out of usable moves!" and forces them to Struggle. I didn't test to see if it allows you to switch moves after that.

Refresh (Removes all true status effects from the user)
It only cures burn, poison and paralysis (the status afflictions that boost Facade). I heard somewhere you can use it while you're frozen, but to use it while you're asleep you will need to have Sleep Talk. It won't cure either though.

When a Pokémon becomes confused, it has a 50% chance of attacking itself with a 40 Power neutral physical attack. This status lasts for 1-4 turns, and is nullified by switching out.
From what I know it doesn't have a certain duration. Every time you try to attack, the game gives you the following possibilities:
- Snap out of confusion and attack like normal (25%)
- Hit yourself in confusion (50%)
- Attack like normal for once through confusion (25%)

Except for the part where Refresh cures par/burn/psn, none of this is confirmed for DP iirc.

It only cures burn, poison and paralysis (the status afflictions that boost Facade). I heard somewhere you can use it while you're frozen, but to use it while you're asleep you will need to have Sleep Talk. It won't cure either though.

From what I know it doesn't have a certain duration. Every time you try to attack, the game gives you the following possibilities:
- Snap out of confusion and attack like normal (25%)
- Hit yourself in confusion (50%)
- Attack like normal for once through confusion (25%)

Except for the part where Refresh cures par/burn/psn, none of this is confirmed for DP iirc.
Hmm that's not how I though Confusion worked, but, there's always the possibility I was incorrect. It would make sense for Confusion to work this way I guess. Refresh and Confusion have been fixed. I also added a note on Shed Shell in the Trapped Pseudo-Status, as well as Magnet Pull.

Only Sacred Fire and Flame Wheel have a self-defrost effect.
Yeah, don't worry, I know ;) Anything else guys? Still debating on including Trick Room, as we will likely see a Trick Room guide from someone at some point in time.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokémon with immunities to the Sleep move’s type will be unaffected, as will Grass Pokémon to the Grass moves.

You can hit Dark types with Hypnosis, Ghosts with Sing, etc. All Sleep moves can hit all Pokemon, with the exception of Sleep-inducing Secret Power, which cannot hit Ghosts because it's the side-effect of an attack, not the main effect. In fact, Thunder Wave is unique among true status as being a truly typed attack as far as immunities go (Fire types are immune to the Burn status, which is why you can't Will-O-Wisp them, Poison and Steel types are immune to the Poison status, which is why you can't Toxic / Poisonpowder them, but Grounds are not immune to Paralysis, which is why you can Glare them).

The abilities that do nullify the Sleep status are Insomnia and Vital Spirit, as well as Pokémon that have the ability Leaf Guard when the sun is bright. A Pokémon that is in the middle of creating an Uproar, by using the named move, is also unable to be lulled to sleep until the 2-5 turns of the Uproar have ended. A list of moves that can induce Sleep is as follows:

No Pokemon on the field can be Sleeping during an Uproar. If a Pokemon uses Uproar while another Pokemon is Sleeping, that Pokemon will instantly wake up, even if Uproar is used on a Ghost.

*Dark Void violates Sleep Clause in 2 vs. 2 Battles, due to the fact that it sends both the foes’ Pokémon to sleep.

Those places that have an auto-enforcement of Sleep Clause will just have the first Pokemon put the Sleep, and thus Dark Void will fail to the second (assuming it hits the first Pokemon). I'm not sure how the order of hitting Pokemon works in 2v2, but this means it could matter which of your two Pokemon are faster or what order they are in the line-up.

Pokémon with the Ground typing, occasionally Ghost typing (for the Normal attacks), as well as Pokémon with the Abilities Limber and Leaf Guard when the sun is bright, as well as in many cases Motor Drive, and Volt Absorb (for Electric Attacks) are immune to Paralysis. A list of moves that can induce Paralysis is as follows:

This wording is confusing. Pokemon that are part Ground are not immune to Paralysis, but they cannot be Paralyzed by any Electric attack and Thunder Wave. Ghosts cannot be Paralyzed by Body Slam and other normal attacks, but they can be hit by Glare. Mention that Limber makes Pokemon immune to the Paralysis status, not just being Paralyzed, so if you lose Limber (for instance, Ditto Transforms into non-Limber Pokemon) and are then Paralyzed, when you regain Limber (by switching out then back in), you are instantly cured of Paralysis.

The Burn status is very useful in the Physical-oriented OU Metagame, and is most useful if induced against a Physical (or Mixed) Sweeper. This is because the Burn status will decrease HP by 1/8 each turn ... and reduce the Attack stat.

Mention how much it reduces Attack (it effectively gives you 50% Attack).

Fire-type Pokémon, as well as Pokémon with the ability Flash Fire, Water Veil or Leaf Guard in bright sunlight, are unaffected by Burns.

Water Veil has the same mechanics as Limber in terms of losing it and then regaining it.

Toxic Spikes (After more than one use, any switch-ins that are not Flying, Poison, Steel, or Levitators are badly poisoned, removed if a Poison Type switches in)

Wording: After two uses > After more than one use. Also, say that the Toxic Spikes are removed when a Poison type switches in that would normally be effected by Toxic Spikes (so not part Flying and can't have Levitate).

Pokémon with the Ability Magma Armor are immune to the Freeze condition itself.

Same as Limber.

Confusion is different from the other "true" status effects in that it cannot be seen beside the Pokémon's HP bar. It is only seen when a Pokémon is about to use a move, when it has a chance of attacking itself.

You can also be Confused and have a named status simultaneously.

Pokémon with the Ability Own Tempo are immune to Confusion, and Pokémon with the Ability Tangled Feat gain one Evasion level once they become Confused.

Same as Limber.

For example, the Ability Guts will boost a Pokémon’s Attack when it has a status affliction (canceling out Burn's attack drop)

Should say it overrides Burn's Attack drop. When you say "canceling out" it sounds like your Attack ends up unchanged.

Shed Skin (Has a 30% chance to remove true status at the end of each turn)

I'm fairly certain this doesn't cure Confusion, so putting Confusion up in "True status" can cause some... Confusion.

When a Pokémon uses the move Destiny Bond, it (and its partner in 2vs2) will cause foe's Pokémon to faint if they knock out the Destiny Bond user(s). This only counts for direct attacking, and does not factor in fainting via other effects such as status or moves like Leech Seed. Destiny Bond is best used on a fast Pokémon, as it will only work if the Pokémon uses the move before the opponent attacks it. If Destiny Bond is used one turn, it can carry onto the next turn, assuming the Pokémon has not actually done anything in that turn. This is the only way a slower Pokémon can take advantage of Destiny Bond.

Destiny Bond does not effect your partner. You should reword this to say that it lasts until you move again, instead of saying it only works if the Pokemon uses the move before the opponent attacks it. This wording is much simpler. You should also mention that if a Pokemon uses Destiny Bond, and is faster than the opponent, but then uses a move like Focus Punch (something with a lower priority than the opponent's next move) the effect will last for not just that turn, but also next turn, essentially.

Gravity
When a Pokémon uses the move Gravity, no Pokémon are able to use moves that involve rising into the air, and they lose any benefits they may have had from the Flying Type, Levitate, or Magnet Rise for 5 turns. Moves that are disabled are Bounce, Fly, Hi Jump Kick, Jump Kick, and the almighty Splash. Like Magnet Rise, the short duration of this move sends its usefulness crashing down.

Gravity also provides a large (somewhere around 70%) accuracy boost.

This is useful for resetting Evasion when it is not claused, and the ability to hit Ghosts with Normal or Fighting attacks is just an added bonus, and alone is not a good enough reason to waste a moveslot on a Pokémon.

It doesn't just reset Evasion, it sets it permanently to 0 so long as the Identification effect remains.

Grass Pokémon are immune to Leech Seed

Grass Pokemon are immune to being Leech Seeded. If you Baton Pass a Leech Seed to a Grass Pokemon, they will still take damage and you will be healed.

Normal Pokémon are immune to Nightmares.

When was this tested?

When the move Perish Song is used by a Pokémon, it assigns every Pokémon currently in battle a Perish Count ... even the Pokémon that used the move! Only Soundproof Pokémon are safe from Perish Song, though not the Perish Count itself (a Soundproof Pokémon can have a Perish Count Baton Passed onto it). What a Perish Count does is gives each Pokémon that heard Perish Song 3 turns of battle until they faint automatically. This effect can only be removed by switching out ... which is why Perish Song is often used in conjunction with a move that traps Pokémon in battle, such as Mean Look.

If a Pokemon already has a Perish Count, using Perish Song again will not reset it.

Protection can be penetrated by opposing Pokémon using the moves Feint or Shadow Force.

This causes Protect and Detect to fail for the rest of the turn, but, if they were successful, still halves the chance for them to be successful next turn. During Rain, Thunder can hit through Protect and Detect with 25% accuracy.

Mention that Limber makes Pokemon immune to the Paralysis status, not just being Paralyzed, so if you lose Limber (for instance, Ditto Transforms into non-Limber Pokemon) and are then Paralyzed, when you regain Limber (by switching out then back in), you are instantly cured of Paralysis.

You metioned a few other abilities that work this way, is Insomnia one of them as well? It is a lot like the others, but you didn't mention it.

Shed Skin (Has a 30% chance to remove true status at the end of each turn)

I'm fairly certain this doesn't cure Confusion, so putting Confusion up in "True status" can cause some... Confusion.

Added a note. Shed Skin is never seen anyway, just like half the moves in here though it's always good to be accurate :P

Are you sure of this?

Grass Pokémon are immune to Leech Seed

Grass Pokemon are immune to being Leech Seeded. If you Baton Pass a Leech Seed to a Grass Pokemon, they will still take damage and you will be healed.

I intended to fix this earlier actually, guess I forgot....

When was this tested?

I thought it worked that way on NetBattle, but I could always be mistaken.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You metioned a few other abilities that work this way, is Insomnia one of them as well? It is a lot like the others, but you didn't mention it.

I haven't seen any tests that explicitly tested Insomnia, but it seems like it would instantly awaken them.

Are you sure of this?

That it provides an accuracy boost is indisputable. I'm about to review the tests in the research thread to see if we've done enough to reasonably claim 70% and not 60% or 80%.

I thought it worked that way on NetBattle, but I could always be mistaken.

Nope. I've killed Blissey with my Nightmare Gengar on Netbattle.

Okay Obi, just checking, though I know you of all people are not going to have largely inaccurate information. I'll keep Insomnia off for now, just to be safe. If any tests come up, I'll be sure to update. Also, Gravity is listed as 70%, and I added a little note on how the accuracy works "Moves are also given a 70% accuracy boost (onto the original accuracy of the move itself, so it would be an additional 70% of 30 rather than 100%)". This is consistant with the other accuracy boosters I believe, but is this correct?

obi

formerly david stone
Yes. OHKOs would have about 50% accuracy (51%, in fact, if 70% is correct).

Okay, I've made a few minor fixes, and upon reading the newest Research Thread, I discovered that Confusion is not removed by Rest. Now, this, along with some other things, has got me thinking ... should Confusion be shoved under Pseudo-Status once more? The reason I put it up with True Status a while ago was to have a simple definition of "True Status" : removed by Lum Berry.

However, I don't think "removed by Rest", while also simple, would be a good definition either, as Freeze is a true, albeit rarely seen True Status, and for obvious reasons, cannot be cured by Rest. I'm really not sure what to think though; maybe Confusion is just a little different from the others? Like how Sandstorm and Hail are weather effects, even though they behave much different from the others (mainly Sandstorm here, with the Rock +SpDef boost).

I'd like some more opinions on this, Obi and Great Sage, if you two still read this topic, it'd be nice to hear from you.

I would say the definition of a true status is that it shows up in the status bar. Confusion seems more close to Attraction and all the other pseudo-statuses anyway. It is possibly cured by Lum Berry (and Full Heal in-game and such) because the Game Makers think it one step above the other statuses...I suspect this is because confusion was a primary status effect in the Trading Card Game whereas Poison was a secondary effect. But seeing as this is not the TCG, Confusion should just go under pseudo.

Focus Punch flinching is simply not flinching at all - it is just part of the mechanics of Focus Punch to fail to attack. The game says "Slaking lost focus" after all, it is just the move description that calls it flinching. Seeing as Inner Focus doesn't change the way Focus Punch works at all they just seem two different things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)