Pokémon Dragonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, as it would've actually solved WP-Nite's problem with Status beautifully.

Also, I think Heal Bell is also illegal with Extremespeed. Not that you'd use both at once anyway, seeing as how Dragonite really wants as much coverage as possible.

Status still hurts it though, and there's always the possibility of being KO'ed even through Multiscale, the opponent outsmarting you, the opponent having Avalugg (really, this thing is VERY bulky...), or whatever. It's no perfect strategy.
I think Azumarill actually does OHKO through Multiscale with CB Play Rough (or Ice Punch). And yeah, status really sucks. Paraflinchers and Pranksters are really bastards with this. You could possibly OHKO on Togekiss with +3, but it actually can do that whole "dancing around with neutral moves" surprisingly well, because of paralysis.

Last edited:
Here is my Ev improved Dragonite build:
Nature:Adamant Ev:158HP 152Vel 200Att
Item:Weakness policy
Moves:
Dragon dance
Earthquake
Thunderpunch
Outrage/Dragonclaw
With 158HP he can survive a banded garchomp outrage(!) LO latios draco meteor( but has only 31,75% of suviving ice beam from LO Greninja, fu** that frog), he gives up on outspeeding the following

372 Sceptile*, Dugtrio, Alakazam 120 +Spe 252 0
366 Gyarados 81 Neutral 184 +1
366 Metagross 70 +Spe 184 +1
365 Dugtrio 120 +Spe 224 0
364 Tyranitar 61 +Spe 252 +1
361 Starmie, Azelf, Raikou 115 +Spe 252 0
360 Magnezone 60 +Spe 252 +1
358 Politoed 70 Neutral 252 +1
355 Abomasnow 60 +Spe 240 +1
354 Scrafty 58 +Spe 252 +1
353 Tornadus 111 +Spe 252 0

(at +1 he outspeeds +nature base 110 speed pkmns namely Gengar and Espeon) but killing every garchomp even those already at +1 is just godlike, against faster pokémon with a super effective move he just uses outrage or thunder punch,you face a Gyarados or a Starmie?No problem just spam thunder punch 1)they attack,trigger weakness policy you 100%survive with multiscale you counterattack, they 100% die. 2)Gyarados uses dragon dance THEN ice fang you?Still no problem you'll 100% survive(even if you're facing MEGA Gyarados) and 100% kill him(yeah that's the power of multiscale).
You could go with fire punch but in my opinion Thunderpunch is a far better choice(you still hit skarmory plus Azumarill and Togekiss won't wreck you) this moveset grants a nearly flawless coverage(baloon heartran,balloon gliscor *still wall you with firepunch,levitation/baloon magnezone,baloon Scizor).
Now all those wonders work only and only IF dragonite sits at full HP so to work he needs support moves like rapid spin or defog to remove entry hazards.

I have an unusual mixed weather set on my Dragonite, however it is best used for Doubles due to the limited turns of rain.

Name: Mixed Offensive Rain/Talonflame Paranoid Set
Dragonite
@ Weakness Policy
Naughty (+Attack -Special Defense)
136 Attack / 252 Special Attack / 116 HP

Hurricane
Thunder
Aqua Jet (egg move)
Agility

I will explain the strange choice of nature and stat distribution:

• 136 Attack EVs on a +Attack nature Dragonite for Weakness Policy boosted + Rain boosted Aqua jet to kill Max HP Talonflame
  • An Attack + nature is needed if you're worried about Talonflame's Brave Bird vs our Aqua Jet. Going Adamant would sacrifice more special attack you'd get with Hurricane/Thunder, while going Modest would not give you enough physical attack to kill Max HP Talonflame, who could put an end to your fun with priority Brave Bird, which is what Aqua Jet is for.
  • No Speed EVs to outrun +Speed nature Talonflame after Dragonite uses Agility. This is important because after you use agility, you will outrun Jolly/Max Speed Talonflame, which means your Aqua Jet will outspeed Brave Bird.

The flaws with this set:

• Weather nerf means that if the rain wears off, you're relying on low accuracy moves and a non-stab priority move.
  • If Talonflame Bulk'd Up and you were in killing range, he might still beat you.
  • Dependency on Agility to outrun priority Brave Bird with Aqua Jet
  • Specially defensive Rotom-W, Lanturn, Eviolite Chansey, and Blissey are only a few examples that would laugh at your attacks.
  • Thunder and Aqua Jet won't be doing that much without Weakness Policy support
The strengths of this set:

• Rain gives 100% accuracy Thunders and Hurricanes while boosting Aqua Jet, which is a nice priority move to have, seeing as we don't have Extreme Speed available yet.
  • He has a check to Talonflame's Brave Bird with priority Aqua Jet + Agility, whether or not they are running HP investment.
  • Multiscale allows him to take almost any super-effecive hit, which will boost Weakness Policy, even with a - special defense nature.
  • Works nicely in Doubles with well-planned rain support.

Personal opinion overall: I feel like this is probably leaning more toward a gimmicky set (as well as more for Doubles) since it relies heavily on the rain, but I made this set strictly with Talonflame in mind. But even without the bird, Dragonite can still be a massive threat to unprepared teams. If you don't like the choice of nature, or having half of his moves become inaccurate when the rains wear off, you can most certainly replace them as you see fit. You can also opt for a more tankish version going Calm/Bold with more investment in bulk and run Roost for increased survivability.

Just thought I should share this one with you guys, because I've been having an unusual amount of success with it so far :)

Last edited:
Have been playing around with an Adamant 252 Atk/252 Spd Weaknite with Agility. As many have pointed out, Status are his bane. If you gen Burned, Paralyzed, or even Poisoned, he becomes quite mortal.

Some other things Weaknite REALLY hates:
  • Stealth Rock (obviously)
  • Sandstorms and Hail
  • Icicle Spear and Rock Blast
Then again, when none of these things happened, he crushed 5-6 mons by himself. I guess I have to start working on teammates that truly help him with those counters.

I am using an all out attacker Dragonite, with Scolipede as his partner:

Scolipede (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Speed Boost
- Infestation
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail
- Fire Punch

Scolipede can easily force a switch or trap something that can't hurt him. Then you boost with swords dance (once is easily done, more is harder) as you acquire speed boosts. If something threatens you, keep using sub till you run out of health (you should have a SD -or more- and like 4 to 6 speed boosts by then).

In the last turn Baton Pass to Dragonite (multiscale saves your ass no matter what the opponent is, but usually it's somethng with EQ, a fire move or a Psychic move that is trying to kill your Scolipede). Then it's game on. Lefties will get you back to multiscale range and you can wreak stuff.

At +2 Fire punch can OHKO Ferrothorn, Earthquake busts Aegislash (they usually try to shadow sneak, but it doesn't hit hard), Iron tail is a HUGE slap in the face for fairies (careful with that accuracy tho) and Dragon Claw is neutral against almost everything, and also STAB.
I've swept teams like this once one or two problematic pokemon are removed or statused.
For some reason replays aren't working or else I'd post some.

Hope you guys enjoy

Adamant Nite>. For those times Dragonite comes to revenge or clean up and doesn't have a turn to setup, he needs that power behind Extremespeed. Also, like wdistance said, what does jolly even outspeed?

Adamant Nite>. For those times Dragonite comes to revenge or clean up and doesn't have a turn to setup, he needs that power behind Extremespeed. Also, like wdistance said, what does jolly even outspeed?
Adamant gets outsped by Base 69s and over.

That's Metagross and co. at 70.

And Diggersby at 78.

And more I'm definitely missing.

Adamant gets outsped by Base 69s and over.

That's Metagross and co. at 70.

And Diggersby at 78.

And more I'm definitely missing.
Diggersby is looking UU to me and I haven't ran in to one, and Ive seen two Metagross, both of which lacked Ice punch anyway and died from my Nite's EQ.

Here is my Ev improved Dragonite build:
Nature:Adamant Ev:158HP 152Vel 200Att
Item:Weakness policy
Moves:
Dragon dance
Earthquake
Thunderpunch
Outrage/Dragonclaw

Gyarados uses dragon dance THEN ice fang you?Still no problem you'll 100% survive(even if you're facing MEGA Gyarados) and 100% kill him(yeah that's the power of multiscale).
Hmm, my calculations tell me this:

252+ Atk Adamant Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 158 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 158-188 (43.6 - 51.9%)
252+ Atk Adamant Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. Multiscale 158 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 372-440 (102.7 - 121.5%)

Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker to bypass Multiscale, so it doesn't even need the +1 from Dragon Dance. But of course it survives regular Gyarados' Ice Fang regardless.

Hmm, my calculations tell me this:

252+ Atk Adamant Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 158 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 158-188 (43.6 - 51.9%)
252+ Atk Adamant Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. Multiscale 158 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 372-440 (102.7 - 121.5%)

Mega Gyarados has Mold Breaker to bypass Multiscale, so it doesn't even need the +1 from Dragon Dance. But of course it survives regular Gyarados' Ice Fang regardless.
You're right I didn't think about moldbreaker my bad.

Sadly, as it would've actually solved WP-Nite's problem with Status beautifully.

Also, I think Heal Bell is also illegal with Extremespeed. Not that you'd use both at once anyway, seeing as how Dragonite really wants as much coverage as possible.

I think Azumarill actually does OHKO through Multiscale with CB Play Rough (or Ice Punch). And yeah, status really sucks. Paraflinchers and Pranksters are really bastards with this. You could possibly OHKO on Togekiss with +3, but it actually can do that whole "dancing around with neutral moves" surprisingly well, because of paralysis.
I know for a fact that adamant Weaviles Icicle Crash does without a Life Orb, so I wouldn't be too surprised that CB Azumarill would too.

About CB Azumarill KOing through multiscale:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 280-330 (86.4 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 312-368 (96.2 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

at +1, positive base 130s outspeed adamant 252 dragonite, this isn't a problem with jolly
This guy gets it. It's not about what you outspeed unboosted, it's about what you outspeed after a DD. WeakNite is a shot pony, so you have to make it count, which definitely isn't happening if jolteon comes in and OHKOs with HP ice. However, running agility allows you to run adamant, so it's up to you.

IMO, fire blast should always be used over fire punch on a WP set. The only common specially defensive steel types are heatran (who you can't touch with fire anyway), and ferrothorn, who is absolutely roasted even by univested fire blast.

I find WeakNite to be a great anti-lead, especially since people usually freak out and send something SE in if they don't have U-turn. If you're running 3 attacks + boost you have to be extremely aware of what has u-turn and what does not though because you absolutely have to keep multiscale intact.

Hey there. I haven't run many Dragonites, and decided to run one on my stall team instead of Zygarde to take fighting moves a bit better. I've tested it online a bit, and like the idea of running a slightly-modified para-shuffler set, with Earthquake to fight off Aegisslash and Mega/Regular Lucario better. Worked okay, but not especially astounding. I had an ice berry, probly not the best item, but I was unsure.

My big problem is my Vaporeon has possession of my leftovers, and I'd like to keep it that way. So, I actually know two or three people who run WeakNite and adore it, and I'm wondering who has tested its viability on a defensive set with roost? I like the idea in theory of getting hit, powering up, roosting the damage back, and proceeding to destroy things (extremespeed and draco meteor sound good because of the mixed boost), but I am wondering if Weakness Policy, as a one-use item, is a waste in a really slow-paced team setup.

Dragonite: WeaKness Policy
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Evs For Jolly: 252hp / 24atk / 56sp.def / 176speed
Evs For Adamant: 204hp / 24atk / 96sp.def / 184speed

Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake/Stone Edge
Roost/Fire Punch/Aqua Tail/ExtremeSpeed

As you can see this is a bulky dragon dance late game sweeper after one boost jolly with given Evs you can outspeed Plus nature Base 130s as for adamant you can outspeed plus nature 115 with weakness policy there is really no need to get greedy late game this dragonite is capable of getting to atleast plus 2 also roosting off damage if needed it has the policy to go to plus 3 in one turn and leaving the opponent in pieces as dragonite cleans up easily the moveset as you notice runs aqua tail and fire punch if needed for weather teams if you decide to put dragonite in one but bottom line is i enjoy this dragonite and it is good but of course you can adjust the evs to your liking and best suited for your team.

Last edited:
Dragonite: WeaKness Policy
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Evs For Jolly: 252hp / 24atk / 96sp.def / 136speed
Evs For Adamant: 192hp / 24atk / 56sp.def / 224speed

Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earthquake/Stone Edge
Roost/Fire Punch/Aqua Tail/ExtremeSpeed

As you can see this is a bulky dragon dance late game sweeper after one boost with both given Evs you can outspeed Plus nature Base 130s
Neither of those spreads outspeed plus natured base 130's after one DD.

After watching discussion on Dragonite's new problem on Fairies, I wondered about MixNite with Weakness Policy being a thing. After playing with a lot, it is quite impressive with DD bringing the boost to +3, however bulky fairies have been a problem. After discussing awhile with friends, I'd like to get outside input:

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Mild Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Superpower
- Thunderbolt / Fire Blast
- Extreme Speed

At 180 Spe, it hits 241, winning out on standard bulky Rotom-W, Bulky Toxicroak, 252 Adamant Scizor, Magnezone, 252 Modest Politoed, and 16 Spe Tentacruel.

After WP activates, it gains several KOs, including:

Superpower:
max Def Chansey after SR.
Blissey
standard Ferrothorn
Sp. def Heatran

Dragon Pulse:
Landorus-T (after some prior damage), although it can outright KO the Naive set

Superpower does around 68.5 - 80.7% to Bulky CB Scizor and 83.6 - 98.5% to a offensive SD set which is a 75% to OHKO after SR

The choice between Tbolt and Fire Blast is between whether you want to defeat Togekiss and Azumarill or general Steel-types (like an ensured OHKO on Scizor and Mawile)

Some calcs:
Code:
252+ SpA Dragonite Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 432-510 (106.9 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss: 236-278 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Dragonite Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 171-202 (44.8 - 53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Dragon Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 340-402 (89.2 - 105.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 306-360 (80.1 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 76 Atk Dragonite Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 222-262 (73 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ SpA Dragonite Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 240-283 (78.9 - 93%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
It seems that because of how bulky some of the Pokemon were, Dragonite prefers mid-late game to come in. Of course, its weakness is that it needs spin support and that it almost absolutely needs WP activated (which if played around, could spell trouble)

Last edited:
I made a YouTube video on Dragonite and a breakdown of how it can be used within Pokebank OU Tier:
I watched the video and you missed quite a lot. No mention of thunder punch or extreme speed in either set, no weakness policy mention in the DDnite, no roost mention in the dragon dance. You also didn't mention any Mixed or shuffler sets which is what makes Dragonite so unique; his versatility. Still a good overlook video for Dragonite on gen 6.

Scolipede can easily force a switch or trap something that can't hurt him. Then you boost with swords dance (once is easily done, more is harder) as you acquire speed boosts. If something threatens you, keep using sub till you run out of health (you should have a SD -or more- and like 4 to 6 speed boosts by then).
Just wanted to comment on this, I don't understand the point of "subbing til you run out of health." Do you really need a full 4-6 boosts? Wouldn't you rather preserve your HP for future Scolipede use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)