Serious Political correctness is ruining America

At the risk of this thread taking a more terrible direction than it already has, why don't you tell us what kind of things youd like to discuss about race that you feel you haven't been able to due to those damn PC users, newtonja?
Just all around make anything about minorities a touchy subject. Also little things at school like my friend almost getting suspended at school for reading the bible (yea i'm not kidding) and places not allowing you to sing christmas songs. While these things are small its the whole direction that it is taking that worries me, how far will this go? Will it be impossible to express religion and other veiw points entirely just so that you don't offend people. Its all about the long term affects that I am worried about
Ps. completely off topic it took me like a minute to realize what PC stood for I was all like "what do computer have to do with anything" but then I realized that I was being stupid.

Just all around make anything about minorities a touchy subject.
So does this mean I shouldn't say the word "(BAN ME PLEASE)" when reading Huckleberry Finn? Because IMO, avoiding the word brings more power to it, and words should remain powerless without a voice behind them. Also your/your friends school is fucking moronic and doesn't serve as an example for the entire world. Unless your friend was attempting to convert people to Christianity by reading John 3:16 over and over or some shit (that's the only bible verse I know) he shouldn't have been "almost suspended".

ALSO, the only way shit like this will get worse is if people like you continue to worry about it / do whatever you can to be "politically correct".

I think you misunderstood my question. What, specifically, do you want to discuss about race that is being silenced? An actual topic, not just a general "PC MASTER RACE PREVENTS ME FROM SPEAKING MY MIND!!!! DOWN WITH PC!"

my issue with political correctness is that i feel like i cant talk about race at all without offending anybody. it spreads eggshells around the issue of race. it teaches us to try to blind ourselves to the differences in race and pretend that we are all the same when in reality we arent. and it is those differences that make us such a wonderfully diverse world. the issue is that the way political correctness is now takes the issue of race in the wrong way.
You obviously want to talk about it, so why don't you just talk about it? Personal computers aren't oppressing you enough that you feel safe enough to complain about how it's ruining America, so why won't you?

So does this mean I shouldn't say the word "(BAN ME PLEASE)" when reading Huckleberry Finn? Because IMO, avoiding the word brings more power to it, and words should remain powerless without a voice behind them. Also your/your friends school is fucking moronic and doesn't serve as an example for the entire world. Unless your friend was attempting to convert people to Christianity by reading John 3:16 over and over or some shit (that's the only bible verse I know) he shouldn't have been "almost suspended".
That's what I am saying about avoidance isn't the answe. And how politically correct poeple think it is
I think you misunderstood my question. What, specifically, do you want to discuss about race that is being silenced? An actual topic, not just a general "PC MASTER RACE PREVENTS ME FROM SPEAKING MY MIND!!!! DOWN WITH PC!"

You obviously want to talk about it, so why don't you just talk about it? Personal computers aren't oppressing you enough that you feel safe enough to complain about how it's ruining America, so why won't you?
Well something like acknowlaging the fact that black people have darker skin. The fact that asians eye tend to differ in design from our eyes (as you can tell I am just trying to make this sound as profesional as possible for a 16 year old. And not be called racist for ite. Sometimes acknowlaging differences is considered racist which I consider rediculuse. By the way I am in a school that is 40 % asain so I feel like I can say the second one with assuredness.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
more like chinks in the wall

and in the context of Huckleberry Finn the use of "(BAN ME PLEASE)" is meant to highlight the racism of pre-Civil War Southern society, so if you're purely using it to avoid saying "n-word" when discussing the book from a literary perspective then that's a different situation entirely from using "(BAN ME PLEASE)" conversationally.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Christmas as popularized in America has to do more with consumerism than Christianity, elcheeso. Only Christians act in ways that show Christmas is about Christ and not St. Nicholas of Myra (who you would know popularly as "Santa Claus"). Folks like the Freedom From Religion Foundation don't attack depictions of Santa at Christmas time, they attack depictions of Christ.

The funny thing about political correctness is it's basically the new acceptable form of bigotry. They'll require you to take down a painting of The Last Supper because it might offend people, while the next day sponsoring a field trip to a mosque to learn about the benefits of Islam to a multicultural society. You can cut "multiculturalism" off after "cult" - because that is what it is. It's an anti-Christian, anti-white, anti-straight, anti-male cult. As long as you don't fall into all four of those categories (I have the quadrifecta) you are now a "protected class." Paternalism, you see, isn't really bigoted. Now go and be a hero to all those oppressed minorities! This is a hockey match, and you have to check their privilege (but remember, hockey is enjoyed primarily by white people, so don't take that analogy too far!)

Secularism breeds weak arguments. This is why its answer to anything is "separation of church and state." Because you see, only through navel gazing can one objectively view history, society, and the context in which they are formed. Your religion has 2,000 years of human experience, was foundational to the thinking of your nation's forefathers, and has been the moral compass the world over for centuries? Too bad! My social studies teacher divined the proper policies for education, marriage, and government from a message he saw in his Cheerios!
I know there's a thread for it but is there like a Deck Knight Twitter account or something I can follow for quotes like this? I don't read Cong as much as I used to and don't want to miss gems like the bolded.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Audiosurfer I know this is a side convo and goes back a page, but I did want to respond. To quote from Wikipedia, a pretty good indicator of public opinion, "A devout Christian with an annoyingly perfect family, he is among the friendliest and most compassionate of Springfield's citizens and is generally considered a pillar of the Springfield community... Ned Flanders, whose real first name is Nedward, is a genuinely well-meaning good-natured person and is one of the few in Springfield to whom that description applies."

Is he made fun of? Sure, of course he is. It's a comedy show. But he is undoubtedly portrayed positively in general on the show. He works as a member of the Springfield Volunteer Fire Department. In one episode, he spends an entire day tracking down a customer he forgot to give change to. He donates a kidney and a lung to a stranger. On a more frequent basis, he offers to help Homer and Bart constantly. Yes they lampoon him on stereotypes, like when he participated in the "walk for the cure for homosexuality." But even recently those sorts of jokes have decreased and he's become more tolerant of non-christians/queer people/etc. And as any character on a show as long-running as the Simpsons, he inevitably has depth. We've seen far too many sides of him to call him a caricature.

And I could repeat this sort of thing for Shirley and Joe on their respective shows. Yes, they get made fun of. No more (and often much less) than any of their fellow characters. They're seen as virtuous and portrayed positively on the whole. I do agree that the media isn't chock full of these sorts of characters, but it certainly has more of them than it has non-camp gay males, non-terrorist muslims, non-nerd asians, etc etc. This perceived lack of representation really is a non-issue.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
That's what I am saying about avoidance isn't the answe. And how politically correct poeple think it is

Well something like acknowlaging the fact that black people have darker skin. The fact that asians eye tend to differ in design from our eyes (as you can tell I am just trying to make this sound as profesional as possible for a 16 year old. And not be called racist for ite. Sometimes acknowlaging differences is considered racist which I consider rediculuse. By the way I am in a school that is 40 % asain so I feel like I can say the second one with assuredness.
And stuff like how black people are usually taller than people from other race, this is neutral and is hardly racist. But there will always be people who are sensitive enough to be alarmed.
--------------------------------
--------------------------------

I'm not from America, but from what I have observed about America through videos and other media with discussions, I agree that political correctness is too hyped in America, and there are people who are using this to their advantage.

I see this thread as a good place to share this video about how SOME people take advantage of political correctness, to ask for unreasonable benefits whilst calling anyone on the opposing side racist!
The video makes me very unhappy, and probably will make you unhappy too.
It feels like having a bunch of overwhelmingly greedy people asking you to help, but if you don't fulfill them, they hate you and call you uncharitable. What's more, they are playing the race card.

I'm not saying that I base the situation of USA out of one single video, I've seen much more but currently I think that that video has to be shared.
There was a controversy about the game Residence Evil in which they showed one scene where the zombies were Hispanic and decided to INVENT a whole racial controversy out of that. In reality, in the game, there were white zombies too, and the zombies differ from region to region. The creators actually took scenes from around the world for diversity's sake!
Also, there was a controversy for My Little Pony, that somebody moaned that how come the Princess (Celestia) was a white pony and the villain was a black pony, and there weren't any black ponies in the main cast.

AND there's the GREAT Pokemon incident that everyone here should know.
(Why should any foreign country be asked to change stuff because one person from another one country was unhappy anyway? Especially when her perceptions are clearly from an American point of view.)

They are irritating enough to anger me, really.

I'm a little curious what you mean by 'acknowledging' that black people have dark skin or the shape of asians' eyes. I mean, do those come up in conversation that often? In those situations where those are necessary such as, I dunno, witness statements (huh, probably damages my point a little that I went straight from race to CRIME but whatever) most people aren't going to complain if you say whether the guy was black or white or whatever. So can you point out some situations where you feel that political correctness is suppressing your free speech!!!! stopping you from making pertinent observations? Some context would certainly help.

I'm a little curious what you mean by 'acknowledging' that black people have dark skin or the shape of asians' eyes. I mean, do those come up in conversation that often? In those situations where those are necessary such as, I dunno, witness statements (huh, probably damages my point a little that I went straight from race to CRIME but whatever) most people aren't going to complain if you say whether the guy was black or white or whatever. So can you point out some situations where you feel that political correctness is suppressing your free speech!!!! stopping you from making pertinent observations? Some context would certainly help.
OP is just trying to find a way to tell his black friend that he doesn't like him because he has dark skin, but you know, while being politically correct.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Here is how this goes:

Person 1 says statement x.

Person 2 is offended by statement x.

Person 1 says "I don't mean to be offensive."

Person 2 says "I was offended because statement x means y."

Person 1 says ' I didn't intend statement x to imply y.' or else 'statement x doesn't imply y.' or else 'there is nothing wrong with y.'

In other words person 1 doesn't think their comment is offensive and person 2 does think it is offensive. What do?

if you accidentally rear end the car in front of you, it doesn't matter if you didn't mean to. Now saying offensive things is obviously different from crashing into someone, but the principle is the same: your intention doesn't count for shit. THe caveat is that if you do say something offensive, and everyone says things that some other person would find offensive, you aren't a terrible person. So the conversation should go like this:

Person 1 says statement w.

Person 2 is offended by w.

Person 2 says "I am offended by w for the following reasons x,y,z."

Person 1 says, "Ah, I see why you find that offensive, however I did not mean to be offensive, I will speak more carefully in the future to avoid these situations."

Person 2 says, "Even though I was offended, I recognize that you did not mean to be offensive, you are not a terrible person but what you said is offensive."

And then everyone can move on with their lives after acknowledging the subjective nature of everything.

Note: This only applies to circumstances where Person 1 (the offender) actually does not hold prejudice, racist, sexist, classist beliefs, and merely spoke uncarefully. If someone is a bigot by all means feel free to call them out on their bigotry. (Deck Knight would not get a pass).

edit: also scientific racialization is in a constant state of being debunked. It is 'just' a social construct (social constructs are real af, but race is often talked about in a way that could lead someone to believe there is something physical about race) and everyone (the academic consensus) admits it except for doctors. biologists admit it, geneticists admit it, only the medical profession still holds out because they think they are obligated to take 'race' into account when making diagnoses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_health#Controversy_regarding_race_in_biomedicine

Last edited:
The above statement said it perfectly, you don't have the right to say what anyone should feel offended about, If you say a joke about mexicans or gays or whatever group you want to tell jokes about and I hear it what do you think I should feel? Of course I'm gonna be offended, the same way if I went on saying untasteful jokes about whatever group you belong to, the problem here being to you this are only jokes, but to me they are a daily reinforcement that I'm a joke to someone and my worth to someone else is less than whatever he puts on a moment of reflexion, if you tell me a joke think what if I (or whatever minority group you are about to tell the joke about) said the same about you and then think it again and again and again and again, you know why? Because as a minority the times you hear it become exponentially larger (and how much do you think it need to happen before it gets old?)

Don't assume "It's just a joke" will make it better because that too I've heard it way too many times, it's always just a joke to you because that the way you've been used to by a society created by the majority, which only thinks of me as a punchline

You also (I assune) have never been hearing this "jokes" for your entire life now, I have, and you have been telling them too so that's why you feel you're being restrained, because you're now being looked differently for something that you've done your whole life, congratz now you know how is to be in the minority, you're being forced to abide by the will of the though that rules, which is why PC is important, it's because finally they are thinking their actions have repercussions to people besides them and their own group

Last edited:
Here is how this goes:

Person 1 says ' I didn't intend statement x to imply y.' or else 'statement x doesn't imply y.' or else 'there is nothing wrong with y.'

In other words person 1 doesn't think their comment is offensive and person 2 does think it is offensive. What do?

if you accidentally rear end the car in front of you, it doesn't matter if you didn't mean to. Now saying offensive things is obviously different from crashing into someone, but the principle is the same: your intention doesn't count for shit. THe caveat is that if you do say something offensive, and everyone says things that some other person would find offensive, you aren't a terrible person. So the conversation should go like this:

Person 1 says, "Ah, I see why you find that offensive, however I did not mean to be offensive, I will speak more carefully in the future to avoid these situations."

Person 2 says, "Even though I was offended, I recognize that you did not mean to be offensive, you are not a terrible person but what you said is offensive."

And then everyone can move on with their lives after acknowledging the subjective nature of everything.

Note: This only applies to circumstances where Person 1 (the offender) actually does not hold prejudice, racist, sexist, classist beliefs, and merely spoke uncarefully. If someone is a bigot by all means feel free to call them out on their bigotry. (Deck Knight would not get a pass).

edit: also scientific racialization is in a constant state of being debunked. It is 'just' a social construct (social constructs are real af, but race is often talked about in a way that could lead someone to believe there is something physical about race) and everyone (the academic consensus) admits it except for doctors. biologists admit it, geneticists admit it, only the medical profession still holds out because they think they are obligated to take 'race' into account when making diagnoses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_health#Controversy_regarding_race_in_biomedicine
there is a wise saying, 10% of your life is what happens to you the other 90% is how you react to it. In other words I strongly disagree with you in some regards. I will tell you a story. So one day when my friends were eating lunch my friend gave a compliment to my middle eastern friend saying you da bomb. And so my middle eastern friend got offended and left the table. Now I hate to blame the victim in this situation, and I don't think he is a bad person for this reaction but the reaction was wrong. This reacerts the connection between bombs and middle east. Second he chose to react this way, he chose to be a victim when it wasn't necessary. I do agree that being a bigot isn't okay, however deck night has made the most intelligent comments, not the most biggoted. Also bullcrap, there are lotgs of evidence that there are genetic differences between races (the biggest example is dementia). However I don't think that this gives a right to judge them at all whatsoever.
The above statement said it perfectly, you don't have the right to say what anyone should feel offended about, If you say a joke about mexicans or gays or whatever group you want to tell jokes about and I hear it what do you think I should feel? Of course I'm gonna be offended, the same way if I went on saying untasteful jokes about whatever group you belong to, the problem here being to you this are only jokes, but to me they are a daily reinforcement that I'm a joke to someone and my worth to someone else is less than whatever he puts on a moment of reflexion, if you tell me a joke think what if I (or whatever minority group you are about to tell the joke about) said the same about you and then think it again and again and again and again, you know why? Because as a minority the times you hear it become exponentially larger (and how much do you think it need to happen before it gets old?)

Don't assume "It's just a joke" will make it better because that too I've heard it way too many times, it's always just a joke to you because that the way you've been used to by a society created by the majority, which only thinks of me as a punchline

You also (I assune) have never been hearing this "jokes" for your entire life now, I have, and you have been telling them too so that's why you feel you're being restrained, because you're now being looked differently for something that you've done your whole life, congratz now you know how is to be in the minority, you're being forced to abide by the will of the though that rules, which is why PC is important, it's because finally they are thinking their actions have repercussions to people besides them and their own group
By the way there are a lot of things that I am a minority. I am adopted, i'm morman, and in a lot of my classes i'm the only white person. See I beleive in the type of thing that shows like the simpsons do. we all make fun of each other, we don't believe what we are saying but we smile about each others stereo types. I like making fun of myself. like I said before we need to look for the malice if there isn't any there is zero reason to get offended. However if a person thinks a sereotype is actually true then dont flip out just educate them otherwise. I don't like to avoid, it doesn't help anybody, that's what I think political correctness does, avoid.

One of my pet peeves is that we give fancy names to races, like African Americans (of course, generally people are still fine with plain "white" for that group), as if calling people with dark skin "black" is offensive...? There's nothing inherently wrong with a color.

Also, I get the feeling sometimes that if you're in the majority groups (white, male, straight, etc) that people think you have no right to complain because you're supposed to not be hurt by this kind of stuff, and you come off as a whiny spoiled bitch.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The degree to which norms (race relationships in this case) impacts people's ability to communicate ideas has always fascinated me. I remember a really interesting class topic in advanced spanish dealing with the ratios of race in honors programs. When she posed the question directly to the one Black student in our class it felt like people were unsure of her. As Woodchuck previously mentioned, the controversy surrounding Huckleberry finn serves as a good national example of this.

That being said, Newtonja, could you please elaborate a bit on how political correctness is ruining America. From my perspective, I see people being uneasy about race and Religion as similar to childhood insecurity regarding nudity. Can a desire to promote decent goals (tolerance and dignity protection) result in unintended side affects (unnecessary citizen of existing norms and anxiety), yes. However, I wouldn't say that these specific psychological overreactions are dangerous to the United States.

With regards to the OP, have you asked the councilor for an explanation beyond "its Religion"? In my school Religious materials can be used for non-religious purposes (read, history classes). For example, my AP Gov teacher also teaches Multicultural Perspectives, and as such has many different Religions represented in posters throughout his classroom. During our discussion on the Establishment Clause and how the Constitution pertains to Religion, he made an interesting point that it could be interpreted in a negative light if he only had images from his Religion displayed.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Here is how this goes:

And the strange thing about it is, you have to say "I will be more careful" instead of "Oh please calm down, I really didn't mean that."

Why would people not be counted on their intention in the first place?
An offense is very very subjective, affected by their personal experiences and what they see or hear.
People can get offended out of anything whilst the offender could have absolutely no idea.
What happens if the person offended has extraordinary imagination?

The degree to which norms (race relationships in this case) impacts people's ability to communicate ideas has always fascinated me. I remember a really interesting class topic in advanced spanish dealing with the ratios of race in honors programs. When she posed the question directly to the one Black student in our class it felt like people were unsure of her. As Woodchuck previously mentioned, the controversy surrounding Huckleberry finn serves as a good national example of this.

That being said, Newtonja, could you please elaborate a bit on how political correctness is ruining America. From my perspective, I see people being uneasy about race and Religion as similar to childhood insecurity regarding nudity. Can a desire to promote decent goals (tolerance and dignity protection) result in unintended side affects (unnecessary citizen of existing norms and anxiety), yes. I wouldn't say that these specific psychological overreactions are dangerous to the United States.

With regards to the OP, have you asked the councilor for an explanation beyond "its Religion"? In my school Religious materials can be used for non-religious purposes (read, history classes). For example, my AP Gov teacher also teaches Multicultural Perspectives, and as such has many different Religions represented in posters throughout his classroom. During our discussion on the Establishment Clause and how the Constitution pertains to Religion, he made an interesting point that it could be interpreted in a negative light if he only had images from his Religion displayed.
He had it to talk about how christianity has influenced western culture in litterature and art. But aparently that wasn't good enough to keep it up there.
PS I think that I should change the title of the article because it seems pretty sensationalized. its more ruining the culture of the united states.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Taking a picture down from off the wall because it's Christian is not politically correct - in fact, it's belittling the tradition of a large group of people.

I'd argue that political correctness is really quite useful most of the time, and in these cases where it "goes too far", that's someone using "political correctness" to give themselves permission to be dicks to everyone.

No response to my question, newtonja?
Also, the problem with the 'laugh at ALL the stereotypes' thing is that not all stereotypes are born equal. I mean, it's a cliche, but when's the last time someone laughed at you for being a straight white male (assuming you are straight, obviously)? Whatever part of you that gets poked fun at is more likely to be something more personal to you than "You're Arabic? That's Asian for terrorist, isn't it?"

And I don't think I'll touch Connorw's wall of text, other than to point out that you pretty much said "I'm not racist, I have native American friends."

No response to my question, newtonja?
Also, the problem with the 'laugh at ALL the stereotypes' thing is that not all stereotypes are born equal. I mean, it's a cliche, but when's the last time someone laughed at you for being a straight white male (assuming you are straight, obviously)? Whatever part of you that gets poked fun at is more likely to be something more personal to you than "You're Arabic? That's Asian for terrorist, isn't it?"

And I don't think I'll touch Connorw's wall of text, other than to point out that you pretty much said "I'm not racist, I have native American friends."
to answer your question its more like when i cant say it, see at my school (and this is about the only thing good in general about the schools students) i feel like the topic of race is completely free and there is no concern about talking about race, however when i am put outside of school there is this entirely different attitude of what somebody mentioned earlier uneasiness about the topic. by the way my school is 40% Asian, and i am called stupid, cracker, etc. but it is okay because we all recognize that it isn't true. and i find it pretty funny. also like i said before Im adopted, and i think jokes about adoption are really funny. and being Mormon i am being criticized all the time, for our weird beliefs and being called a Homophobe. and when i am called a homophobe, i don't get insulted rather i try to tell them why Mormons are not homophobes. also on the flip side half of christian groups don't even accept us as christian, so we are pretty put out there. and to be honest i have no idea what race i am. all i know is that i am 1/4 Mexican and thats it. i look white so i call myself white. but i don't really care.

i don't get insulted rather i try to tell them why Mormons are not homophobes
Mind explaining this? While of course you can't make blanket statements about an entire group, I am pretty sure the Mormon Church is officially against homosexuality policy wise, supporting financially movements to undo gay marriage efforts. So while "Mormons" are not homophobic, the organization is IMO.

Am I wrong in this? My information on this is admittedly a bit out dated (from a documentary a few years ago).

I do sympathize with Mormons being accused of not being Christian. You are in whatever group you think you are in, other people have no right to say that you aren't based on their twisted definitions. I sometimes experience a similar level of bullshit when people try to tell me I am really Agnostic according to their definition, when I self identify as an Atheist. (I will have even further problems with my trans*ness in the future, as a lot of people think penis => male, even my own family, but lets not get into that here :) )

Also, the problem with the 'laugh at ALL the stereotypes' thing is that not all stereotypes are born equal. I mean, it's a cliche, but when's the last time someone laughed at you for being a straight white male (assuming you are straight, obviously)?
Either you've never been to tumblr, or you visit tumblr way too fucking much.

Yes, because tumblr's a real force for discrimination against white people in the world. I did say it was a cliche, didn't I?
Look buddy, straight white men get shit on more than anyone in this day and age. We can't do or say shit without it being offensive.

And that offends me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)