Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Hmm how about giving me more details, like what delay is the ID/SID you want to hit, or what ID/SID you like to have.

Anyway I guess the "Simple Seed to ID/SID calculator" section is buggy :/
I tried it, and the whole Reporter goes frozen. Though I'm using 9.96.5.

EDIT: I have 9.96.6... still the same bug.
I guess it can't be helped then. Anyways, thanks for your trouble :D

I'm attempting to hatch a Staryu with Timid nature and Natural Cure. Is there any way to do this other than SRing? I have no problem with getting perfect IVs- it's just the nature and stuff that's iffy.

PS Does everstone affect RNGing?

Is HP Ice better than HP Fire for a Modest Magnezone? Currently Rnging a Sturdy Magnemite for the frontier, with the moveset being something like:
Thunderbolt
HP Ice/Fire
Signal Beam
Flash Cannon

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
Is HP Ice better than HP Fire for a Modest Magnezone? Currently Rnging a Sturdy Magnemite for the frontier, with the moveset being something like:
Thunderbolt
HP Ice/Fire
Signal Beam
Flash Cannon
Technically speaking, this thread is for help with the RNG process.
That being said, I would carry TBolt, Flash Cannon, Explosion, and either HP Ice, Grass, or Fire depending on whether you're most afraid of dragons, Swampert and Gastrodon and Quaqsire, or other steels (Lucario, Jirachi, Metagross), respectively. I would run Fire myself, if I were to run Magnezone at all.

Trying to set up Soul Silver for some RNG-ing, but I can't seem to get Professor Elm to recognize my Togepi. I've tried using one from my copy of Heart Gold, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Trying to set up Soul Silver for some RNG-ing, but I can't seem to get Professor Elm to recognize my Togepi. I've tried using one from my copy of Heart Gold, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?
Why not try using Irwin instead of Elm?
He doesn't have any requirements to be unlocked. Just need to get to Route 34, i.e. after the/before the 3rd Gym Battle.

Why not try using Irwin instead of Elm?
He doesn't have any requirements to be unlocked. Just need to get to Route 34, i.e. after the/before the 3rd Gym Battle.
Sorry, I'm still trying to understand the whole gist of RNG-ing... if I can't call Elm, I wouldn't be able to use the sequence from Elm in order to confirm that I'm on the correct seed right?

How many frames would pass by calling Irwin?

Thanks.

I'm attempting some 3rd gen RNG, and I'm having a ton of trouble generating a starter shiny even as a test run for an hour-long RNG attempt later.

The Ruby/Sapphire RNG page states:
This means that you are guaranteed to find a shiny Pokemon on the exact frame on which your ID values were generated. Therefore, if you find a desirable IV spread in the lists above, just aim for that frame when you start your adventure.
I've hit the starter on the specific frame, but it wasn't shiny unfortunately. Then, I looked up one of the more popular R/S RNG videos:

where it was stated that the shiny frame should be the one BEFORE the TID frame, not ON it.

To verify, I attempted using the PID of the TID frame (DA86A455 on frame 23755) and calculating the SID to confirm. As a thought experiment I did this with both the current frame and the previous frame to see if I could figure out what exactly should be a shiny frame. However, neither panned out. The previous PID is A455726C on frame 23754. (all with seed A50)

The biggest problem is that the SID page asks for both segments of the PID as well as the TID in binary - however, part of the PID in both scenarios is used to generate the TID, which results in the sum of two equal binary numbers. Is this allowable or do I not understand the concept?

tl;dr is the R/S RNG page wrong on shiny generation and if so, what is right?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I can confirm that, if you follow the R/S RNG page, the frame before your ID frame will be the one that is shiny. So, let's say you wanted to make your frame of 23754 shiny. To do so, you would have to aim for frame 23755 for your ID's (you can check if you hit that frame by checking if your TID is 42069, as per the guide--this TID corresponds to the last 4 digits in hex of the PID on frame 23755). However, the frame that will be shiny will be 23754, and your SID would be found using that frame. So in this case, your TID would be 42069 and your SID would be 29292 (726C in decimal). If you plug in these values into the Reporter, you will see that frame 23754 is in fact shiny. Hope that makes some sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to clarify.

I can confirm that, if you follow the R/S RNG page, the frame before your ID frame will be the one that is shiny. So, let's say you wanted to make your frame of 23754 shiny. To do so, you would have to aim for frame 23755 for your ID's (you can check if you hit that frame by checking if your TID is 42069, as per the guide--this TID corresponds to the last 4 digits in hex of the PID on frame 23755). However, the frame that will be shiny will be 23754, and your SID would be found using that frame. So in this case, your TID would be 42069 and your SID would be 29292 (726C in decimal). If you plug in these values into the Reporter, you will see that frame 23754 is in fact shiny. Hope that makes some sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to clarify.
Thanks for the confirmation - it turns out I miscalculated the binary values when I was doing SID calculation, and when I was going over it again it did turn out to be 29292. I was initially under the impression that TID and SID were generated on different frames before understanding why exactly the two frames in question both share a hex (A455); I should read the documentation closely next time, for I skimmed over the mathematics portion.

Hello! New to the forum, made an account after getting frustrated with RNG egg hatching earlier tonight. I'm trying to hatch a shiny Chimchar (any stats) on Heartgold for a friend as part of a birthday present, and have followed smogons rng guide exactly (same input values on the Eontimer, Shiny Egg tab on Rng Reporter, and so on; I've re-read and checked it 3 or 4 times already making sure every step was right) but I still can't get a seed to match. When I call Irwin the responses are never anything close to what I was supposed to get, and it seems like I'm always hitting it right as the timer hits zero when I should be getting a shiny seed, so I really can't figure out what's wrong. I was using an international parent, but I hear that only interferes with hatching. I have since got a EN Chimchar for mating, and tried that once with the same result I also have two roaming legendaries (E and R), not sure if that makes a difference.

My TID is 10240, my SID is 27914.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated and rewarded in any way I can!

I realized I forgot to add the seed hex I was looking for, it's 20170691 (23:1:30) (Brave Nature). Although eventually I was double checking for just any shiny possible on the list to see if even when I failed if it was shiny. The desired delay was 1668, with 30 desired seconds.
I tried about 40 times this morning over the span of a few hours, with delays starting out ok (1655, 1665, even 1669) but 95% of them were ether way too low or high. I go on YouTube and see people get their seed in the first couple tries, so I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here; I seem to be hitting it at 00:00 every time, and adjusting calibration accordingly (starting with the delay listed in the smogon guide).

Last edited:
So I'm giving TID SID abuse one last try in HG, does the target delay have to be over 5000? Is my normal delay 495 too low for this? cos even with the Eontimer I can't seem to get the delay I need. Also I'm currently trying to hit 30 secs for the target time with an action count of 12 so that would mean that I would have to press a on the 10th beep, right?

Just to be sure, there is no spread that wields 31/x/31/31/31/31, ability 1, Timid synch/male lead cute charm with 50% female shiny spread in 4th gen? (Besides chained shiny, because I honestly forgot how to do specific stuff)

Not a big deal, it's to avoid collecting 200 BPs in 6th gen. (I probably will lol)

I was in the process of uploading screen shots when I decided I would rather spend my time getting a rng starter through method 1 on pokemon sapphire (jpn) version instead. After a while I ended up hitting my target ID/SID frame (4190), and then hit my shiny frame (4189) getting myself a nice shiny treecko. I've managed to get all the way to Kyogre since then, and want to get a shiny Kyogre however I've encountered a new problem. On the smogon guide for r/s rng it says the frame delay between encountering kyogre and it selecting a final frame is 654 frames, so I subtracted that from my shiny frame for (3535) as a target. What nobody seems to know though is when/how to actually encounter him. In emerald you just save one tile away, and then walk into the next tile after the timer is up, letting it automatically start the battle. However, in sapphire it brings up a text box you need to clear; is that factored into the delay listed on the smogon guide? Or can you wait at the text box for the timer to reach '0:00' and than select with 'A' to start the battle?

Fishaman P

Mechanics Maniac!
I was in the process of uploading screen shots when I decided I would rather spend my time getting a rng starter through method 1 on pokemon sapphire (jpn) version instead. After a while I ended up hitting my target ID/SID frame (4190), and then hit my shiny frame (4189) getting myself a nice shiny treecko. I've managed to get all the way to Kyogre since then, and want to get a shiny Kyogre however I've encountered a new problem. On the smogon guide for r/s rng it says the frame delay between encountering kyogre and it selecting a final frame is 654 frames, so I subtracted that from my shiny frame for (3535) as a target. What nobody seems to know though is when/how to actually encounter him. In emerald you just save one tile away, and then walk into the next tile after the timer is up, letting it automatically start the battle. However, in sapphire it brings up a text box you need to clear; is that factored into the delay listed on the smogon guide? Or can you wait at the text box for the timer to reach '0:00' and than select with 'A' to start the battle?
Hmmm... I'd guess this works very similarly to Mewtwo. Try using a frame delay of 0 (so just hit your normal frame), and if that doesn't work, try a frame delay that corresponds to the length of the special effects (if there are any in Sapphire.) The latter method is kind of similar to Sweet Scenting.

How am i supposed to calibrate eontimer for use on an emulator?
I thought you could just ignore the actual duration of the first countdown and put the target second in the record movie function beforehand, only to wait for this countdown reach 0 when you press start; However the epk pattern i hit this way never appears in the adjacent finder.

How am i supposed to calibrate eontimer for use on an emulator?
I thought you could just ignore the actual duration of the first countdown and put the target second in the record movie function beforehand, only to wait for this countdown reach 0 when you press start; However the epk pattern i hit this way never appears in the adjacent finder.
Is it for C-Gear Abuse? Then just enable the frame counter via- View->HUD->Frame Viewer.
For Standard SEEDs, just use the built in Movie function.

Is it for C-Gear Abuse? Then just enable the frame counter via- View->HUD->Frame Viewer.
For Standard SEEDs, just use the built in Movie function.
I meant gen4. I just realized that the start time is the time you go into the overworld and as such is correlated to the delay, so the method i mentioned above is incorrect.
I still have no idea though how to do the timing correctly. On a computer apparently you cant click on two things (eontimer and pc internal clock)with your mouse at the same time..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)