Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question on Ban List

Does Ban list apply on all Single, Double and Triple, or just only on single?

Because some Pokemon that powerful on single may no great in double and triple, example is blaziken that can't spam Hi-Jump Kick due protect is everywhere on double and triple.
The ban list is for OU, which is a singles format.

I have a Timid Froakie with Protean (5 x 31 ivs), but I have 27 sp.atk ivs. Since I'm maxed out in speed, does the 27 sp.atk iv matter? Does it change anything?

I have a Timid Froakie with Protean (5 x 31 ivs), but I have 27 sp.atk ivs. Since I'm maxed out in speed, does the 27 sp.atk iv matter? Does it change anything?
It essentially equates to a 4 point difference in your Special Attack stat at level 100 if I'm not mistaken. This will mean that your attacks will do about 0.33% less damage than they normally would. This will affect you in the rare fringe cases where you're doing almost exactly 50% or 100% of a Pokemon's health per attack, and can turn 1 or 2 hit KOs into 2 or 3 hit KOs. In other words, it will barely affect you at all, but there is a SLIGHT difference.

Can someone please explain what exactly a "suspect test" is to me? I've read the suspect test page but I still don't fully understand it. What does it entail?

Can someone please explain what exactly a "suspect test" is to me? I've read the suspect test page but I still don't fully understand it. What does it entail?
Suspect testing is setting up environment where we are able too test certain threats, or remove them too get a feel of how they affected the meta. Smogon uses showdown for this. It is mostly used for borderline broken pokes, like Keldeo for example. At the end of a round, everyone who was able to reach a high enough rank votes on whether said pokemon should be banned or pardoned. The ranking requirements are usually pretty high, around 1900-2000 and upwards, too make sure the voters actually know what's up and down.

Hopefully I explained it well :).

Last edited:
It essentially equates to a 4 point difference in your Special Attack stat at level 100 if I'm not mistaken. This will mean that your attacks will do about 0.33% less damage than they normally would. This will affect you in the rare fringe cases where you're doing almost exactly 50% or 100% of a Pokemon's health per attack, and can turn 1 or 2 hit KOs into 2 or 3 hit KOs. In other words, it will barely affect you at all, but there is a SLIGHT difference.
Thanks for that precise answer.

Question: How do you guys test your teams against good competition? Is there like a Wi-Fi battle community here, or are you guys using a Gen 6 Battle Simulator program? (Don't want to challenge just every passerby I see) I would like to test out my team against good human competition, and would like to know how.

Question: How do you guys test your teams against good competition? Is there like a Wi-Fi battle community here, or are you guys using a Gen 6 Battle Simulator program? (Don't want to challenge just every passerby I see) I would like to test out my team against good human competition, and would like to know how.
I personally use Pokemon showdown (http://pokemonshowdown.com/), an online battle simulator, it has all the tiers used by Smogon, and has competent battlers. There is also battle spot in game, you could just fight people on random free battles if you want no pressure ;).

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Kind of a noob question, but what exactly is the difference between Hyper Offense and Heavy Offense? Thanks!
As far as I know they essentially mean the same thing: a team consisting of large amounts of offensive pressure. Such teams are generally composed of a hazard lead, a set up sweeper and breakers along with a "Speed" mon (generally a scarfer).

Does Sucker Punch hit on multi-turn attacks like Fly, Bounce, and Dig?

If so, when does it hit: on the first part of the move (when the opponent disappears), or the second part of the move (when the opponent reappears and hits)? Or does it hit on both parts of the move?

Does Sucker Punch hit on multi-turn attacks like Fly, Bounce, and Dig?

If so, when does it hit: on the first part of the move (when the opponent disappears), or the second part of the move (when the opponent reappears and hits)? Or does it hit on both parts of the move?
It will only hit on the first turn, before the opponent disappears.

First, only confirming, Careful Trevenant is better than Impish, right? I intend on using a bulky set that abuses Harvest (probably Horn Leech/ WoW/ Rest/ Shadow Claw, put I'm open to suggestions). Also, What EV spread do you guys recommend?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Any recommendations? Out of 250 some, 150 to HP, 100 to speed?
From the Crawdaunt preview thread:

• 12 EVs beats 44 Spe neutral natured Azumarill, and more notably 0 Spe neutral natured Trevenant
  • 52 EVs beats 0 Spe neutral natured Tyranitar, Ttar isn't too threatening to you though
  • 124 EVs beats 0 Spe neutral natured base 70 like Skarmory. You also beat Relaxed Mega Venusaur which is notable for Crunch users.
  • 164 EVs beats 0 Spe neutral natured base 75 like Mega Scizor, whom you cannot 2HKO with Aqua Jet but will with Waterfall/Crab Hammer
  • 204 EVS beat 0 Spe Mega Venusaur, -Spe is the standard but if it ever catches on then this is a notable speed tier for Crunch users
  • 252 EVs beats 0 Spe Rotom-x which is notably since you can actually beat any defensive Rotom as long as they're slower than you.
Any of those Speed tiers that suits your team best works. I would personally go for 124 for Skarmory, but that's just personal preference. The rest of the EVs should go in HP :toast:

First, only confirming, Careful Trevenant is better than Impish, right? I intend on using a bulky set that abuses Harvest (probably Horn Leech/ WoW/ Rest/ Shadow Claw, put I'm open to suggestions). Also, What EV spread do you guys recommend?
Careful vs Impish is entirely dependent on what you want Trevenant to wall. Check the Trevenant thread for better details; there's a set in the OP for each.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/trevenant.3489928/

The Careful set on that thread is designed to be a tanky attacker that can beat on things, Rest, then switch out with Natural Cure. The Impish set is designed to be able to reliably 1V1 Excadrill or ScarfTar by outspeeding, healing via Sitrus Berry, and crippling with burn.

With all the main sets listing Timid as the go to nature on a Noivern, is the difference in damage minimal if you used naive since its mainly for chip damage and pivoting, or it timid still best even with U-turn? I was just thinking of breeding one because it looks cool, and boomburst sounds a fun move.

With all the main sets listing Timid as the go to nature on a Noivern, is the difference in damage minimal if you used naive since its mainly for chip damage and pivoting, or it timid still best even with U-turn? I was just thinking of breeding one because it looks cool, and boomburst sounds a fun move.
You really aren't going to be doing that much damage with U-turn (the main reason it's there is to pivot and gain momentum as opposed, but then again you aren't going to be tanking many hits. I think it really comes down to preference between Timid (+Spe, -Att) or Naive (+Spe, -SpD). Personally I'd go with Timid, because who knows, maybe the extra bulk could save you during a game.

What is Nintendo going to do about Khan? with VCG coming up, will VCG be flooded by Khan teams, or will Nintendo ban it? What going to happen with all that. Because if they don't i'm running Khan to win, or at least balance the score. I really don't want Khan ruining VCG this year.

with pokebank only a couple weeks away, I imagine that many are gonna wanna play the OU meta on wifi, so various editing tools are probably gonna surge in popularity for things like Genesect, Keldeo etc. Does smogon have an official stance on this?

How do I beat teams who abuse U-turn and Volt Switch? These two moves were the main reason why I didn't play gen 5 OU that much (plus the power creep across the board, but there's no getting around that). They are 100% upside and have zero drawbacks; they literally take no skill at all to use. Honestly, I'm surprised Smogon never voted to ban them for taking skill out of the game...

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How do I beat teams who abuse U-turn and Volt Switch? These two moves were the main reason why I didn't play gen 5 OU that much (plus the power creep across the board, but there's no getting around that). They are 100% upside and have zero drawbacks; they literally take no skill at all to use. Honestly, I'm surprised Smogon never voted to ban them for taking skill out of the game...
Try things like Garchomp w/Rocky Helmet if you're really troubled by VoltTurn. It can absorb Volt Switch and causes U-Turn Pokemon to take 30% of their health when they switch out (plus another 12% from switching into Stealth Rock, and another 12% if they try to switch in again). Another way to beat them is to simply sac something so that YOU gain the initiative and can keep the momentum by applying offensive pressure.

You're the first one I've seen who doesn't like it. Specially defensive Rotom-w deals with volts, and rocky helmet Ferro deals with turns.
I like the moves though, it's always satisfying to have a set that works better with it than the opponent, like having a Rotom with no speed EVs, IVs and negative speed nature to insure you go last to get initiative. Or figuring out what is the more predicting move, bluffing choice items and then status a threat.

If you go for the Ferro, you might as well go for rocks and spikes to make switching around more hurtful than helpful.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What can abuse species clause? I cant think of anything that can abuse it
What do you mean "abuse species clause"?

If you mean using Pokemon that have different forms like Landorus-I and -T or Rotom-W and -C, I think that it doesn't break species clause, but it would be pretty redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)