Zygarde

Zygarde
Pokedex Number: 717
Type: Dragon/Ground
Base Stats: 108/100/121/81/95/95

Ability:
Aura Break: Reverses the effect of "Aura" abilities.

Level Up Moves:

Lv ?? - Glare
Lv ?? - Bulldoze
Lv ?? - Dragons Breath
Lv ?? - Bite
Lv ?? - Safeguard
Lv ?? - Dig
Lv ?? - Bind
Lv ?? - Land's Wrath
Lv ?? - Sandstorm
Lv ?? - Haze
Lv 51 - Crunch
Lv 55 - Earthquake
Lv 59 - Camouflage
Lv 63 - Dragon Pulse
Lv 72 - Dragon Dance
Lv 80 - Coil
Lv 88 - Extreme Speed
Lv 93 - Outrage

TM & HM Moves

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM82 - Dragon Tail
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
TM100-Confide
HM04 - Strength

The third member of the Legendary Trio of X and Y. Compared to the intense powerhouses that are Xerneas and Yveltal, Zygarde seems a little underwhelming, however that just means it isn't completely broken like its brothers! With good bulk and a strong offensive typing, Zygarde can put the tools it has to use in Doubles. Naturally, all is not well though, while Dragon/Ground is strong offensively, it's mediocre defensively, only a handful of resistances/immunities with a weakness to Ice and Fairy. Probably the strongest part of Zygarde is its Signiture Move, Land's Wrath. While in Singles it's basically a worse Earthquake, in Doubles a 90 BP spread move of one of the best offensive types in the game, and unlike Earthquake it doesn't hit your other Pokemon, is quite strong.

Potential Movesets

Supporting Attacker

Zygarde@ Yache Berry/Roseli Berry
Adamant Nature
148 HP/ 252 ATK/108 SDF

• Glare
  • Land's Wrath
  • Stone Edge/Rock Slide
  • Protect
A set that takes advantage of Zygarde's strengths. Glare can help out with speed control, being the most reliably way of paralyzing ground types, while Land's Wrath serves as the STAB of choice, hitting both opponents hard. The choice between Rock Slide and Stone Edge is a a bit of a risky one, as you risk being neutralized by Wide Guard with two spread moves.

Sandstorm

Zygarde@ Smooth Rock/Yache Berry
Careful/Impish Nature
252 HP/ 88 DEF/128 SDF/40 ATK

• Sandstorm
  • Land's Wrath
  • Glare/Stone Edge
  • Protect

With the change to auto weather, the need to set up the weather of choice manually exists once more, and Zygarde is up for the job thanks to its bulk and offensive presence. Sandstorm, of course, is the point of this set. Sending up sand to support your team and counter other weathers. One thing that makes Zygarde a good Sandstorm user is that it's neutral to Water and Grass and resistant to Fire, making it harder for the other weather abusers to put a dent in it. The choice between Smooth Rock and Yache Berry is one between having a better advantage in the Weather War or survivability. With Smooth Rock you have eight turns of sand, enough to do a lot of damage. But plenty of water types pack Ice moves, so a Yache Berry might help keep Zygarde from being smacked down before it can use Sandstorm. Once Sand is up, attack and support as needed.

All Out Attacker

Zygarde@ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD

• Land's Wrath
  • Extreme Speed
  • Stone Edge/Rock Slide
  • Protect

Of course, you can just forsake all that supporting nonsense and just smash things in the face with an angry World Serpent. Even with just 100 Base attack a downside free EdgeQuake combo plus strong priority in Extreme Speed can count for a lot.

Last edited:
Zygarde initially seemed like a worse Chomp to me. Now, looking through its Movepool, I'd say it's actually got a pretty strong niche in Sand or as a Sand Counter.

Glare is already amazing, as it's far more reliable for paralyzing Ground types than Stun Spore, and I do believe the only other things that learn it are Ground-Weak anyhow (Arbok/Seviper). Along with this, it gets Espeed, which is one of the best Priority moves out there, and its signature move, Land's Wrath is just completely amazing. Not having to have a levitate/flying mon or waste a turn protecting is freaking amazing imho.

Don't forget that it learns DDance as well and has a great amount of bulk. After +1, it stands to wreck shit with Land's Wrath/Rock Slide(or Stone Miss if you're really that paranoid), which I find to be pretty amazing potential.

Too bad it doesn't have a useful ability. This thing I could see abusing sand better or at least having Intimidate or something as a hidden ability.

Edit: It also gets Haze, which is actually pretty amazing in Doubles against things like Volcarona or anything else that can set up, like SD Excadrill.

Zygarde initially seemed like a worse Chomp to me. Now, looking through its Movepool, I'd say it's actually got a pretty strong niche in Sand or as a Sand Counter.

Glare is already amazing, as it's far more reliable for paralyzing Ground types than Stun Spore, and I do believe the only other things that learn it are Ground-Weak anyhow (Arbok/Seviper). Along with this, it gets Espeed, which is one of the best Priority moves out there, and its signature move, Land's Wrath is just completely amazing. Not having to have a levitate/flying mon or waste a turn protecting is freaking amazing imho.

Don't forget that it learns DDance as well and has a great amount of bulk. After +1, it stands to wreck shit with Land's Wrath/Rock Slide(or Stone Miss if you're really that paranoid), which I find to be pretty amazing potential.

Too bad it doesn't have a useful ability. This thing I could see abusing sand better or at least having Intimidate or something as a hidden ability.

Edit: It also gets Haze, which is actually pretty amazing in Doubles against things like Volcarona or anything else that can set up, like SD Excadrill.
Dubsparce and Druddigon are neutral to Ground while Serperior resists it =]
Anyhow, being able to paralyze Ground and Grass(immune to Stun Spore)types while bein able to hit Electric types hard/being immune to them makes it a pretty good paralysis spreader. Glare is now 100% acc right? Plus the bulk is pretty beast.

Previously, the best option outside of EQ for physical Ground was Drill Run... So Land's Wrath gives a huge niche. Also, it is one of only 3 physical spread moves.

Funnily enough, I could see RP Volc+DD Zygarde being a thing. Volcarona can absorb the ice beams.

Dubsparce and Druddigon are neutral to Ground while Serperior resists it =]
Anyhow, being able to paralyze Ground and Grass(immune to Stun Spore)types while bein able to hit Electric types hard/being immune to them makes it a pretty good paralysis spreader. Glare is now 100% acc right? Plus the bulk is pretty beast.

Previously, the best option outside of EQ for physical Ground was Drill Run... So Land's Wrath gives a huge niche. Also, it is one of only 3 physical spread moves.

Funnily enough, I could see RP Volc+DD Zygarde being a thing. Volcarona can absorb the ice beams.
Volc can also blow away most Blizz Spam.

Saying Zygarde is a worse Chomp is like saying Unpheazant is a worse Staraptor, just because they have the same typing doesnt mean that Unpheazant may play the same role as Staraptor bc both have different stats, Zygarde is a defenciveMon and doesnt play the same role as chomp, yes the typing is the same but that doesnt make him look like a chomp ripoff. not trying to be rude, just comparing the two is like comparing chocolate pudding to hotchocolate. XD

I'm sorry if this thread's a bit too dead for me to post on it (Mods go ahead and delete this if you think that's appropriate), but I have to ask: what's the reasoning behind the EV's for the Supporting Attacker set?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I love that a set of my creation is getting popular, but there's a lot of variation in it. What EVs has everyone been running on Substitute Zygarde? Most of the ones I've seen are running max Attack Adamant, but I feel like this is wasting its incredible bulk - I ran 252 HP / 120 Attack / 132 Speed Jolly on my pre-bank team to outspeed max+ base 80s like Gardevoir and Mamoswine, who could otherwise lay waste to Zygarde with a super effective move without it doing anything in return. Max HP makes it incredibly hard to actually take down as well - it outspeeds all common users of Will-O-Wisp, Spore, and lol Toxic, and is immune to Thunder Wave, and its already incredible bulk is further augmented with more investment.

I run 44 hp / 252 atk / 212 spe adamant on sub zygarde. This lets me deal maximum damage behind a sub with the two spread moves lands wrath and rock slide. The speed is to outspeed max speed neutral heatran so it cannot get a sub up wothout being smacked by lands wrath. The rest went into bulk to keep the subs up for a bit longer.

Just note though that this is for a more offensive team that needed a heatran counter and a good check to sand, so speed was needed. Arcticblasts spread is a much better spread to slap onto any team and do well, as those subs live through a fair bit more.

Because of spread moves' damage reduction, the drop in BP from Earthquake to Land's Wrath in Doubles is also only 7.5 rather than 10. Land's Wrath has 67.5 BP as opposed to Earthquake's 75.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)