Unofficial UUs (Read Post #13) (don't post bugs here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not comfortable with threats like Kyurem-B, Thundurus-T, Latias and Keldeo running freely in my beloved UU grounds. To add salt to the wound, DrizzleSwim will again wreak havoc in UU. That's quite a heavy load to carry coming from a stall player. Truth to be told, UU right now looks unstable to me.

I just...

...with all these mess.

But in all seriousness, I actually think think some of these threats are manageable. Florges and Chansey are overall good Pokemon keeping special hitters at bay. For specific counters/checks to these hitters, special rain sweepers are decently handled by Gastrodon and Empoleon. The former and Lanturn on the other hand takes care of Thundurus-T (Gastro will get wrecked though if it packs Grass Knot). Moving on we have Keldeo-R who is then handled by newcomers Jellicent and Dragalge. Hydreigon? Completely cockblocked by the fabulous flower fairy. For now, the only Pokemon who I'm mostly afraid of are Kyurem-B and Latias. Maybe Manaphy, too to a lesser extent.

I realise that the list is subject to change, but one thing I wanted to ask was if it would be possible to allow regular Mawile to be used in formats below OU - similar to how Gengar can still be used, but the Gengarite is banned.
Mega Mawile is certainly powerful enough to be OU material, but I don't think regular Mawile should be restricted to OU because of an optional item it can carry...

I believe someone else had also made a similar post about Kangaskhan earlier on.

So first impressions

Keldeo's fairly balanced, having basically all of its former OU checks now be UU, lol. Latias and Hydreigon are really good but not overpoweringly so with plenty of ways to work around them (or just use chansey/florges)

Bisharp is probably the strongest mon in the tier atm (yes, better than kyu-b) due to its incredibly strong sucker punch, and knock off spam (nobody not named mega aggron likes taking a 97.5 base power knock off and losing their item), as well as defiant and synergising really well with deoxys-S (that combo's good in OU >.>), It probably won't even need to be banned since it should be OU by usage as people pick it up.

Thundurus-T is amusingly destroyed by Gardevoir.

Mega Blastoise is the best way to handle Deoxys teams atm.

Florges is a champion

Manaphy's probably broken but is an easy switch in to Kyu-b atm so it's not obvious

Mega Gardevoir is very good as well.

Hyper Voice bypasses Substitutes and 2HKOs most things that don't resist it not named Chansey.

^Motherfrakker stole my Politoad + Kingdra team :(

Since Antar mentioned a list of Mega evolutions, a Trick room team with Amphy, Reuiniclus and another Trick setter (Brongzong, Porygon2) can be a great idea and can put HO teams into serious trouble when done right.

Edit: Just kidding :)

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
what? that's my rain team! kingdra / politoed / torn / kabutops / keldeo is pretty balanced and fair

I realise that the list is subject to change, but one thing I wanted to ask was if it would be possible to allow regular Mawile to be used in formats below OU - similar to how Gengar can still be used, but the Gengarite is banned.
Mega Mawile is certainly powerful enough to be OU material, but I don't think regular Mawile should be restricted to OU because of an optional item it can carry...

I believe someone else had also made a similar post about Kangaskhan earlier on.
The difference between Mawile and Kangaskhan is that Mega Kangaskhan is banned outright, meaning it can no longer account for Kangaskhan's usage, meaning the chance of Kang being OU next shift is none. On the other hand, Mawile itself has enough usage in OU thanks to its Mega Forme and that is still going to be the case in the future because you can still use it.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
It's interesting comparing PO's an PS's banlists for singles UU.. smogon, you've banned starmie, salamence, donphan, forretress, jirachi, sableye, terrakion, and tentacruel, whereas PO have banned Bisharp and Ditto.. quite a difference. Just thought I'd inform you all.

It's interesting comparing PO's an PS's banlists for singles UU.. smogon, you've banned starmie, salamence, donphan, forretress, jirachi, sableye, terrakion, and tentacruel, whereas PO have banned Bisharp and Ditto.. quite a difference. Just thought I'd inform you all.
Smogon hasn't banned them from UU, simply most Smogon players recognized they still are excellent Pokémon and still use them, so they fell above the OU cutoff.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
You know what I mean..

I'm basically saying which pokes were above the cut off on PO but not PS, and vice versa.

You know what I mean..

I'm basically saying which pokes were above the cut off on PO but not PS, and vice versa.
They use a different % cut off I believe? They use 4% whereas Smogon uses 3.41% so that does make the difference, aside from player base choices and quality. Either way they more or less have the same suspects... So if you don't like the beta UU well you have the same thing on other servers :P

even still, on PO Bisharp and Ditto are OU.
That is down to player quality more or less as for why? Well you'll just have to fully immerse yourself in both metagames to see why X is popular there whereas not on Y. Any event this is a bit off topic since PO considers their current UU the official one whereas Smogon is not considering this as the official UU but simply a step towards that, hence beta.

| 145 | Hippowdon | 1.021% |
This... This really surprises me. I was a huge UU Player last generation and wow. This is not cool. I've always found Hippowdon to be the better Sand setter honestly, it has Recovery, Stealth Rock, powerful Earthquakes, and a ton more bulk than Tyranitar, plus, it has a better typing imo. I would be surprised if Hippowdown dropped out of OU, I would use the hell out of it in any tier, but UU seems like a stretch to me. And, also, when will Donphan finally drop to UU? It was never OU imo, it can Rapid Spin, so what? It is so easy to counter or set up on. I've always thought it should be RU, but people insist on using it :/

Seriously? Donphan hasn't dropped? So Kyurem-B, Thundurus-T and 2 Deoxys formes are fair game, but a rapid spinner with no recovery, no utility outside Stealth Rock, and a pretty unremarkable typing is too much for Chandelure and Kedleo to handle?

This tier is just hilarious...
First of all, it's based on usage, not power, they're not the same thing.

Second of all, a mons performance in UU doesn't mean anything for whether they should be in the tier or not. A perfect example being Gastrodon or Dugtrio in GenV. Both OU mons, who if not OU would drop past UU into RU or NU, because their niche (countering Rotom-W/hydro pump spam in gastro's case, and trapping heatran/ttar in dugtrio's case) don't exist in the UU tier.

Sure it's ridiculous for Donphan to be OU, but in theory, Donphan could still be stronger than Thundurus-T in OU, but weaker than thundurus-T in a potential UU tier, because of the different threats.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First of all, it's based on usage, not power, they're not the same thing.

Second of all, a mons performance in UU doesn't mean anything for whether they should be in the tier or not. A perfect example being Gastrodon or Dugtrio in GenV. Both OU mons, who if not OU would drop past UU into RU or NU, because their niche (countering Rotom-W/hydro pump spam in gastro's case, and trapping heatran/ttar in dugtrio's case) don't exist in the UU tier.

Sure it's ridiculous for Donphan to be OU, but in theory, Donphan could still be stronger than Thundurus-T in OU, but weaker than thundurus-T in a potential UU tier, because of the different threats.
I understand your point and I agree, it's just ridiculous and hilarious for me to see specifically Donphan of all things still in OU when so many overpowered mons have dropped (especially considering the near-unanimous agreement that Donphan sucks and should never have been OU in the first place)

I won't believe the metagame has calmed down yet until I see Donphan get less usage than Kedleo.

Last edited:
I understand your point and I agree, it's just ridiculous and hilarious for me to see specifically Donphan of all things still in OU when so many overpowered mons have dropped (especially considering the near-unanimous agreement that Donphan sucks and should never have been OU in the first place)

I won't believe the metagame has calmed down yet until I see Donphan get less usage than Kedleo.
Don't underestimate the general playerbase's ability to use terrible mons (OU electivire in GenIV, OU Infernape GenV)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't underestimate the general playerbase's ability to use terrible mons (OU electivire in GenIV, OU Infernape GenV)
Also Ambipom. But I digress.

The tier as it is could potentially theoretically work, but it needs to be separated from the likes of Arcanine, Gligar, Registeel, Swampert, etc... So, either make BL an official tier, or move 50% of UU to RU.
It really looks like every generation shifts all the tiers downwards. I have a feeling RU will collect all the defensive aspects of last gen's UU, while UU will be extremely offensive. That way, the tiers will really differentiate themselves and define themselves as something other than banlists (aka : OU is for bulky offense, UU is for hyper offense, RU is for stall)

You know what? Things seem pretty good for the Gen VI metagame after all!

Last edited:
That could work,moving GenV UU to RU,because BL was never a competitive tier,it was for pokémons that are broken for UU but don't get a place in OU

Like again, our tiers are based on usages. Of course Latias is probably more powerful than Galvantula ... But, in OU you will find more Galvantula and you have to prepare for it, not against Latias.

I don't understand the hate for Donphan. I used it a bunch early on in the Gen 5 OU to great success. I tried offensive and defensive, leftovers or custap... all kinds of stuff and it all seemed to work alright. Here's like the first ever battle I saved, the opponent wasn't good and overall the battle is a bit embarrassing, but: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-51762607

Not that he will be good in the current meta. He sure sucked it up in pre-bank. I can see Donphan UU... some of the others (Latias, Kyurem, ect)... not so much. I can't imagine a good tier system until at LEAST March. With bank released it will take at least a month or two for things to settle.

Edit: I see that excadrill outclasses Donphan in about every way, but excadrill was uber last gen. I guess I was more questioning why he was bad last gen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)